• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Update: last month highlights, new upcoming features, building video

DTKT

That's all kind of crazy. They actually built the factory and the assembly line. I mean, what the hell!

I've been using it to play DOTA2 on the couch. I love this thing but man the amount of effort that you have to put in to get it working how you want..

Any advice for DOTA2 Steam Controller players?
For me, with the Steam Controller it's like I'm playing Dota in slow motion, and denying is pretty much out of the question. With practice I'm sure I can improve, however, not to a degree where I would be confident enough to enter a proper game using it. Maybe ability draft or custom games etc. Just for fun modes. Woodsie made a cool video about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvSOKZVB5vo). You might want to try his config.

I do think it's great for spectating tournaments, if you're into that.

Bizzquik

Are there ways to take the Controller HUD idea further? I'd love to see other ways for the Steam Controller to feel more naturally ingrained into a game, such as on-screen button prompts.
(Perhaps this could be possible if a game was released with remappable key commands? "RGrip" instead of "M" , "TouchMenu3" instead of "Z")

IIRC Valve have talked about addressing this very thing fairly recently, but they've yet to elaborate on how or when such a feature might come about.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess that means there's hope.

I was thinking about the TouchMenu lay out and on-screen button prompts. 16 different keys? That could get messy. 'Quick, press TM 14.' ....Uhhh....
I'm not sure how Valve could simplify that, though, so that we as players know exactly where TM 14 is across all games. (Because, ideally, you would try to bring in a kind of uniformity, so that when the player sees the on-screen button prompt their muscle memory knows exactly where that button is on the controller for all games using the Touch Menu layout.)

Would Valve use symbols for these 16 buttons, as is done with PlayStation's four buttons? I don't think that would work - too many unique buttons to remember for the player to build up muscle memory.
Maybe it would be best to split the difference: The TouchMenu button prompts could be a combination of color-coding and letter-based. For instance, the top four buttons are always Purple, the row below Yellow, the row below Green, and the bottom row Blue. The player would see "B2" - the numericals outlined in white and filled in blue. And because these 'buttons' are always on the same spot on the controller, even the color-blind would build up muscle memory. (Or still just say "TM 14" but, as the lowest row of buttons on the controller with the Touch Menu layout, have "TM 14" color-coded in blue with a white outline.)

Aru

Mouse region is definitely great for left stick emulation. I use it on the left trackpad but without the outer ring binding. I prefer setting auto-click when my finger is everywhere on the trackpad, at least for Diablo 3. Will probably try using the analog stick sometime.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CV8HITnWwAABfMl.mp4

cotzw1X.jpg

https://twitter.com/ELahti/status/675162744908288000

At the @CPCharity auction, a clear-body development unit Steam Controller from Valve.

CV6o7rMW4AIbgiM.jpg

CV6o7rRWcAIgu1r.jpg

terrible

Banned
I'm going to be very disappointed when the next Playstation and Xbox don't completely rip off all the functions of the Steam controller. The precision and amount of customization is incredible. I never want to use a regular controller again.

I admit I tried to use a non existent trackpad by accident when I played my Xbox One recently after playing a ton of PC games using the Steam controller lol.

Yess me too, I played about 120 hours of Fallout 4 with it and it was amazing, had no complaints about controls while I saw many from kb/M and controller players, even had a nice quicksave button on the grip. I adore this game for FPS now, it took practice but now I'm a lot more comfortable with it. I guess I can plug a video I made of me playing BO3 with it. https://youtu.be/Xi7BOjzT1ks
And I haven't even messed with the cool mouse region and touch menu stuff yet because I haven't been playing those type of games yet , so I still have a lot to learn about it.

Same. I'm excited to try this with new types of games (other than simple 1st/3rd person stuff).

I thought about it a little after my initial "I'm in love" post and realized that one thing that could help or hinder is the support from devs themselves. The stock controller config for FO4 is a great example: it's nothing more than a regular controller config, and it feels sluggish as fuck. Turning off controller support (thanks for not supporting both, Bethesda! /s) and binding kbm to it made all the difference in the world.

It's going to require extra dev time for them to figure out what's best for a default config, and it may be time that devs or publishers aren't willing to dedicate to something so obscure (at the moment) as a single 3rd party controller... but I'll keep my peeners crossed.

I'm going to be very disappointed when the next Playstation and Xbox don't completely rip off all the functions of the Steam controller. The precision and amount of customization is incredible. I never want to use a regular controller again.

I admit I tried to use a non existent trackpad by accident when I played my Xbox One recently after playing a ton of PC games using the Steam controller lol.

100% agree. Base config for the masses, sure, but holy shit... the sheer capability of this controller is a bit mind blowing. The rate of updates have already been far more than I imagined, too.

If I could use this thing w/ my PS4 instead of a DS4, I would in an instant.

linid0t

Is it possible to open up these controllers so I can fix the button layout to Japanese style?
Might get one if so...

edit: to clarify, I mean rearrange the face button so the ABXY are in the Nintendo positions

Is it possible to open up these controllers so I can fix the button layout to Japanese style?
Might get one if so...

edit: to clarify, I mean rearrange the face button so the ABXY are in the Nintendo positions

If you got some T6 Torx screwdrivers around, It should be easy. iFixit has a teardown of the Steam Controller.

beta update will go live soon...well soonish (Valve Time :p)

Today we're shipping an update to Steam Beta that includes a large overhaul of the way we handle configurations for Steam Controllers. We chose to not include it in last week's main Steam client update because it's likely there'll be some teething pains, due to the amount of change involved. It initially enables a small set of new features, but more importantly, it puts us in a position where we'll be able to easily add more features related to community configurations.

After you get the update, you'll be prompted to register your controller to your account. Doing this tells Steam which account to draw configurations from. After you've then personalized your controller, you'll go through a migration process, where we take any configurations you've made and move them over to the new system. This could take a little while if you have a lot of configurations, but it will be a one-time operation.

The controller & account registration system allows you to take your controller to another PC and easily use your configurations, even if you're not the account logged into Steam on that PC. When playing games with multiple controllers, this also allows each controller to have its own configuration, a feature we previously weren't supporting properly. The backend changes we made to support this system also made it much easier to support community sharing of configurations for non-Steam games, so we managed to get that feature in as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/38642823797920591

Top Bottom