• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

Worth it for solo play?

Also, anyone here play siralum ultimate? It's popped up since its currently on sale and it looks interesting:

I played it, if you are in to theorycrafting it rocks. The levels are all proc gen, and you progress through various themed worlds. Not too much in the way of story or writing. The game is all about absurd monster breeding theory craft with which you can break the game in insane ways. And you have to, because of you aren't breaking the game in insane ways it will bend you over and annihilate you later on.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GHG GHG recommended Automobilista 2 in another thread and while i was offput by the lack of a career the controller support is actually quite good and the online racing is fun, though i'm not used to a racing game where you aren't supposed to bump into cars (lol). The game runs at a locked 60fps though it slurps battery and has the deck blowing and puffing.

Cyberpunk seems to be completely payable even with Phantom Liberty. I stopped playing on the Deck though cause I'm too lazy to learn how to mod on the Deck. Portable Armored Core 6 is amazing though. Levels are short and perfect for portable play. The Deck's back buttons also works wonders for the game.

Man, I love my steam deck but valve has some real quality control issues with the shoulder buttons. I have to send my deck back for an RMA (again) because the left shoulder gave out (again)

Every time this happens i have to swap out the internal HD to the original one (or wipe my current one), its frustrating.

I am on a switch emulation spree.

Metroid dredd played perfect
Link awakening needed a patch but played pretty well

I think my next game is either

BOTW (wiiu)
Metroid prime if I can figure it out, for some reason the game isn’t showing up on yuzu
Pikimin 4 if I can find the rom haven’t noticed it anywhere
Luigi’s Mansion 3

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
6zvc9lbd5cvb1.jpg

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Anybody playing the deep rock galactic demo? Love it and seems like a lot of content. Love the economy aspect

Only problem is I can't ever remember the name of the game ><

Pretty neat Fanatical bundle right now:

First one to quote me can pick two games outside of Hong Kong Massacre, Valfaris, And Golden Light and I'll send you keys.
That‘d be great if I could have Valfaris and Hong Kong massacre :)

But on topic, I just recently set up the steam deck to my needs, installed dolphin, Chrome for Gamepass, chiaki4deck and the more I play with the steamdeck, the better it gets and after a few weeks of daily usage I even got somewhat used to its size. I still think it‘s not as comfortable to hold as the switch if you play for more than an hour though.

Oh and if someone ever gets the „bug“ which I had, that sometimes the deck seems to be stuck on the loading screen of a game while the game is already running but not displayed properly, toggle off the remote control setting. I always had to reboot the deck until I figured out what‘s the problem.

Last edited:
good to see so many linux gamers, just to remind that with linux on a desktop pc you can play even more games than those supported by steamdeck

I use my steamdeck mainly for indie and small games like bro force and flash party, but its awesome for FPS

bought the 64 GB model and replace the ssd with 1 TB

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I work from home. My Windows PC bricked due to an update (since fixed). I had to use my Steam Deck as a replacement PC for work to access my Azure desktop and open a second session to VPN in.

A major issue came up, and I felt like I was back in college fixing the issue in a Linux environment.

Anyways, on the topic of the Deck itself, I am eagerly awaiting the next upgrade. This thing is just so close to having the perfect specs to run these games at 1280x800.

Last edited:
What are some of you guys' favorite games to play on Steam Deck? Mine has been neglected recently, but I plan to use it a lot more now that they added official undervolting support in a Preview BIOS.
currently Vampire Survivors, Lego City Undercover and also freshly installed Yakuza LAD
With 2500+ games on Steam, its not an easy choice, haha (but finding time to play can be a bit of a pain)

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Finally got Black Mesa to move Gordon ingame, for some reason the left stick wouldn't move up, just needed to switch proton and reset controls for some reason, very odd. It certainly looks nice on the Deck. Think I'll be getting stuck into that.. 👀

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Playing Broken Age on my Deck.

It is fantastic on this device. The visuals pop, the audio is great, this voice acting and animation are top notch. I should have played this years ago, but I'm also glad I am doing so for the first time on Deck.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Anyone notice that the spatial audio is suddenly really, really good on the Deck? I don't remember reading any patch notes mentioning that they were working on it. I played much of Broken Age and am now playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I swear the audio sounds a ton better than it did when I first bought this thing back on launch day.

GHG

If you like racing, old school arcade and Gran Turismo 3 style presentation, get this game. It's super fun.

I just came across this and came to see if anyone else was talking about it here. It looks promising but I'm not sure I'll be able to get my head around the micro machines style camera for a game like this.

How does it feel to play?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just came across this and came to see if anyone else was talking about it here. It looks promising but I'm not sure I'll be able to get my head around the micro machines style camera for a game like this.

How does it feel to play?

It feels good to drive. Tracks are wide and turns are telegraphed way in advance. It’s satisfying to hit that perfect turn and slide along.

Game structure is pretty much a ripoff of early Gran Turismo games, which I love. You can even change oil and wash your car.

For 8 EUR, I’d recommend it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was messing around with Spider-Man in Windows 10 and it's just a general feeling, but it seems like RT is more optimized now. Patch notes from Oct. 18th say...
  • Improvements to CPU performance for ray-tracing and crowd spawning.
  • Performance and stability improvements for ray-tracing on AMD GPUs.
Very playable at 30fps with IGTI set to Dynamic Res with 30fps target and a mix of medium and low settings, x16AF, Depth of Field off, and high RT reflections(there's only high and very high) with object distance set to 3. I'll have to play a little longer than 20min. to really see the impact the patch had.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
SteamOS 3.5.5 Update is live...

SteamOS 3.5.5 has been released to the Stable channel for Deck with the following changes:

Display
  • The default color rendering for Steam Deck LCD has been adjusted to emulate the sRGB color gamut, resulting in a slightly warmer and more vibrant color appearance.

153601c5c91a04215f69ad3ad6074c22c86d480a.png
  • Added Settings ->Adjust Display Colors, to tune the display's Color Vibrancy and Color Temperature. The settings can be tuned with a preview of a test image (above), or with your running game.
    • Native
      : The native display color appearance (the color rendering for Steam Deck prior to this update).
    • sRGB
      : Emulate the sRGB primaries, in a smooth manner that does not introduce gradient clipping.
    • Boosted
      : Emulate a wider-gamut display appearance, resulting in increased apparent vibrance. May result in gradient clipping.
  • HDR
    can now be enabled in Display Settings if supported by the external display.
  • Added HDR Analysis to Advanced Display settings.
  • VRR
    can now be enabled in Display Settings if supported by the USB-C adapter.
  • Reworked Quick-Access scaling settings to separate scaling from filtering.
    Added Stretch and Zoom scaling as new options to handle different aspect ratios
  • Fixed a long-standing issue where the internal display backlight would always stay on.
  • Fixed touchscreen orientation while external display is connected.
  • Compositing is now avoided in additional scenarios, reducing latency and stutter in situation with multiple overlays on screen.
  • Improved latency in certain situations where the application renders slower than the display's refresh rate.

General
  • Added support for Steam Deck OLED
  • Fixed an issue where certain workloads would exhibit severe CPU performance issues unless SMT was manually disabled
  • External storage devices are now auto-mounted when connected to Steam Deck
    . To format or manage storage devices use the new device management interface in Settings->Storage.
  • Updated graphics drivers, with many performance and functionality improvements. Improved performance for Starfield. Fixed viewmodel corruption in Amnesia: The Bunker and launch failures for Immortals of Aveum and Kaiju-A-GoGo.
  • Improved Bluetooth connection stability, especially with multiple controllers
  • Slightly improved sleep resume speed
  • Implemented switching between controller bindings and mouse/keyboard desktop bindings by long-pressing Options in the Linux hid-steam driver, to match Steam's default Desktop configuration.
  • Improved fade transitions between applications.
  • The contents of the performance overlay can now be customized by creating a ~/.config/MangoHud/presets.conf configuration file.
  • Fixed a bug where some games could appear stretched if their window size didn't match their swapchain size (eg. Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4)
  • Fixed Disgaea PC needing to be tapped on before input works
  • Fixed physical dimensions reported to games, fixing some issues with an incorrect aspect ratio sometimes being detected (eg. Returnal)
  • Worked around a problem where Allow Tearing could cause heavy stuttering if the Performance Overlay or other overlays appeared on screen. Tearing is now impossible in such situations, and the Performance Overlay should be disabled for best results.
  • Fixed a problem where keyboard input would not be detected in Overwatch 2
  • Controller firmware: fixed an issue where some thumbstick touch sensors would lose touch periodically

Firmware 118
  • Added voltage offset settings

Steam Deck Dock Firmware 121
  • Added VRR support
  • Improves reliability when changing display modes via on-screen menus
  • Fixed issues with 6bpc color modes, improving high resolution/refresh mode support
  • Improves detection of HDMI cable hot-plug events

Updated Arch Linux base
  • This update pulls in newer performance, security and stability fixes for the underlying packages that are the foundation for SteamOS
  • Most notably, this includes recent changes to KDE Plasma, Steam Deck's Desktop Mode. Full notes on these updates can be found on KDE's website here. Here are a few of the highlights:
    • New window tiling system
    • Updated Discover (app store / software manager) with a new homepage and improved search
    • Discover can now perform system updates from the desktop
    • Updated desktop widgets

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
-Deck now defaults to a higher saturation setting. There's also a color temp setting. I'm messing with the update now.

-Looks like they added NIS as an upscale filter option in addition to FSR.

-They've combined the Frame Rate Limit and Refresh Rate into a single slider, which is confusing at first. It matches FPS and Hz until you get down below 40fps/40Hz, then it goes to 30fps/60Hz and drops from there at that ratio. They also added a Disable Frame Rate Limit toggle separately that replaces the former Unlocked notch on the old slider. It's weird, but I guess it makes sense.

-The performance overlay that was across the top now displays total system power consumption and estimated battery remaining. That's useful. They move the FPS readout and the frame time graph to the far left.

Last edited:

Assaulty

The Oled deck looks so good, but I don't think I can part ways with my original deck. I've done about every (standard) mod apart from a full case and screen swap and don't think I could sell it and having two decks is just not needed.

How does GRID Legends run on the Steam Deck, and does it support HDR? Anyone know? Been hooked on this game on my PC over the weekend and was thinking that this would be a perfect first game to play on my Steam Deck OLED when it arrives later on this week.

Top Bottom