• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam DualShock 4 support is now live

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have a DS4 v2 (lightbar on front) and nothing happens when I plug in a set of headphones. Running latest beta and I see no option to turn it on. I am just using onboard bluetooth to connect.

jediyoshi

I know there was a stretch of time where a windows 10 update broke DS4 functionality - did that ever get fixed? Trying to get DS4Windows to work was a massive pain that would result in it working for one session and then making my USB port unable to acknowledge the controller entirely. I tried it recently and it seemed to work fine on its own without the program but I was hoping someone might have had more definite information.

It broke certain DS4 input wrapper functionality, the DS4 has always worked in Windows 10.

I have a DS4 v2 (lightbar on front) and nothing happens when I plug in a set of headphones. Running latest beta and I see no option to turn it on. I am just using onboard bluetooth to connect.

Maybe try it with USB? Not sure it it matters because the PS4 lets audio pass through Bluetooth.

DieH@rd

Banned
"Added audio support for official DS4 v2 Slim controllers"

Awesome! This was the last major thing that was missing.

I wonder if the audio is active when controller is paired via bluetooth. I will test it this weekend.

"Added audio support for official DS4 v2 Slim controllers"

Awesome! This was the last major thing that was missing.

I wonder if the audio is active when controller is paired via bluetooth. I will test it this weekend.

maybe, though with the wireless adaptor, i always had audio work, though im not sure what steam is referring to, if it doesnt work with bluetooth

Mivey

Is there a trick to getting Steam Big Picture to also show DS4 button prompts (e.g. (A) -> (X) )? It detects the DS4 and it controller support seems to work fine, would be just nice if that little detail would also be there.

Paragon

Is there a trick to getting Steam Big Picture to also show DS4 button prompts (e.g. (A) -> (X) )? It detects the DS4 and it controller support seems to work fine, would be just nice if that little detail would also be there.
Have you enabled DS4 support in the controller settings? It should automatically do that.

Kudo

Not sure if this is right thread to ask this but is it possible for Steam to add support for the new Switch Pro Controller if there's demand for it?

ToKre

so i used my ps4 while playing for honor for a week now

yesterday i activited the ps4 support through steam to play nier with it and it works fine

but going back to for honor "through steam" i can't use it and it shows the blue light like its connected to a ps4 ??

I'm having an issue I can't figure out. I'm using a DS4 with steam big picture running a non-Steam game. All my binds work fine but the overlay doesn't seem to be working? When I press the PS button it's not taking me back to the Steam config screen and when I hit the button I bound for Steam screenshot, that's not working either.

I'm having an issue I can't figure out. I'm using a DS4 with steam big picture running a non-Steam game. All my binds work fine but the overlay doesn't seem to be working? When I press the PS button it's not taking me back to the Steam config screen and when I hit the button I bound for Steam screenshot, that's not working either.

Which game(s) is this happening with? I've found that the Steam overlay just doesn't work with some games.

nelchaar

I'm getting a weird stutter on Portal 1 when I'm panning the camera with my DS4. Any ideas what my be causing that?

The FPS is locked solid at 60, and the stutter doesn't occur when I use a mouse to move the camera.

MoogleMan

Not sure if this is right thread to ask this but is it possible for Steam to add support for the new Switch Pro Controller if there's demand for it?

I could have sworn it was added to one of the betas but I can't find the post now...

Soodanim

I had to stop using the Steam DS4 support.

Enabled Steam DS4, disabled DS4Windows
Fallout 4 was all kinds of fucked up
Enabled DS4Windows then used 360 support, and it worked
Dark Souls 3 had phantom inputs even with DS4Windows' exclusive mode on
Disabled Steam support, problem stopped

Such a shame, as it does offer some great things. I'm not sure Steam's DS4 support takes care of anything behind the scenes to stop inputs being read as anything more than what they should be. For now I'm back to DS4Windows.

SixFourMike have you tried configuring the DS4's control scheme in the presets?

I remember I was playing Mafia 3 and the controls were wonky because the control preset was set for the Steam Controller so I had to change it to Gamepad with Camera Controls or whatever

Liamario

Banned
I'm getting a weird stutter on Portal 1 when I'm panning the camera with my DS4. Any ideas what my be causing that?

The FPS is locked solid at 60, and the stutter doesn't occur when I use a mouse to move the camera.
I'm getting with the xbone controller too. I don't know what it is.

I remember I was playing Mafia 3 and the controls were wonky because the control preset was set for the Steam Controller so I had to change it to [italics]Gamepad with Camera Controls[/italics] or whatever

Or you can do what I did with KotOR II and make your own configurations. It's time consuming but worth it.

oneils

Such a shame, as it does offer some great things. I'm not sure Steam's DS4 support takes care of anything behind the scenes to stop inputs being read as anything more than what they should be. For now I'm back to DS4Windows.

Yeah the ds4 straight up is not supported at all by fallout 4. It won't work. Can't remember the reason, but it's an issue with the game itself.

Mivey

You can de-activate it on a per game basis. Since it enables mapping stuff to the touchpad, I would think it enhances a lot of regular games with gamepad support.

Soodanim

Lots of responses!

I remember I was playing Mafia 3 and the controls were wonky because the control preset was set for the Steam Controller so I had to change it to Gamepad with Camera Controls or whatever
Yeah I took care of all that, it was a basic controller layout both times too so nothing fancy.

Yeah the ds4 straight up is not supported at all by fallout 4. It won't work. Can't remember the reason, but it's an issue with the game itself.
Between that and the Fallout/TES engine's archaic "OR" approach to controllers (either M+Kb or controller, never mixed for those that don't play them) it's just a pain dealing with those games at times.

You can de-activate it on a per game basis. Since it enables mapping stuff to the touchpad, I would think it enhances a lot of regular games with gamepad support.
De-activate Steam's support? Or DS4Windows? It does sound like this could be the solution I'm looking for. Truth be I told I sometimes prefer the cursor control DS4Windows gives the touch pad, if only for those games that show a cursor that won't go away.

Truth be I told I sometimes prefer the cursor control DS4Windows gives the touch pad, if only for those games that show a cursor that won't go away.

You can do that in Steam too. Go to your controller configurations, go to the unified pad for the touchpad, then switch it to Mouse-like Joystick.

Mivey

De-activate Steam's support? Or DS4Windows? It does sound like this could be the solution I'm looking for. Truth be I told I sometimes prefer the cursor control DS4Windows gives the touch pad, if only for those games that show a cursor that won't go away.
Steam in Big Picture mode, if you access a game, has a field for "Controller Options". That also includes the option to complete disable the controller support (meaning the overlay will no longer do anything, if the game had native DS4 support, it will still detect the controller)

DS4Windows has application profiles, which includes the possibility of disabling DS4Windows for certain applications.

I mostly use Steam's DS4 support for Steam games, and DS4Windows for the few things outside it (unless they natively support it, not that rare these days).

You can do that in Steam too. Go to your controller configurations, go to the unified pad for the touchpad, then switch it to Mouse-like Joystick.

By default, you can move the mouse using the touch pad or the right analog stick when holding the PS/Steam/Guide button. It's the default chord configuration for all controllers.

Calabi

Steam in Big Picture mode, if you access a game, has a field for "Controller Options". That also includes the option to complete disable the controller support (meaning the overlay will no longer do anything, if the game had native DS4 support, it will still detect the controller)

DS4Windows has application profiles, which includes the possibility of disabling DS4Windows for certain applications.

I mostly use Steam's DS4 support for Steam games, and DS4Windows for the few things outside it (unless they natively support it, not that rare these days).

Thanks for that I was wondering if there was a way to do that.

In Bayonetta the dead zones are really large compared to DS4Windows and you cant adjust it or change it at all.

edit: Ok nevermind it seems its something inherent to the game I'm sure it wasnt like that, I seem to remember the deadzone being smaller.

Steams support seems really flaky sometimes I couldn't get it to save and load the correct config in a game, its kind of confusing.

Does anyone know how to nap a radial menu to the bumpers as well as multi button commands (i.e. L3+A)? Trying to configure for Mass Effect based on the original Xbox controls but can't seem to be able to get menus on the appropriate bumpers, and have no idea how to bind the storm command.

Calabi

I dont understand how this thing works. It keeps loading a config that I dont want, a random one in the middle of all my configs, I even deleted the config, how does that even work.

How do you delete a config in this, how do you make sure it loads the config you want?

Mivey

I dont understand how this thing works. It keeps loading a config that I dont want, a random one in the middle of all my configs, I even deleted the config, how does that even work.

How do you delete a config in this, how do you make sure it loads the config you want?
Never had issues with this, honestly. Steam tries to sync everything with your account, so if connection is spotty it might just time out. But it should still retain the local bindings. Maybe delete your Steam folder and reinstall (without touching SteamApps, of course)?
It should work just like in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ivHOKumJg), if not then it might be a bug on your end. Steam isn't perfect.

Mailbox

iirc (i haven't tested this in months so i'm sorry if this is outdated info. )

Fallout 4 doesn't work w/ steams ds4 setup for wired play (it seems like it treats it both as a steam controller and as a normal controller at the same time, idk why though.)

If you use your DS4 wirelessly, there are no issues as far as i can tell

Josman

Has anyone been able to use a DS4 with gyro aiming in GTA V succesfully? that feature was a god sent in The Evil Within and Bioshock Infinite, need some recommendations for the setup and binding it to L2

Holy shit. Ive been a pc gamer for 20 years and today finally took the plunge on hooking my pc up to the tv. I bought the wireless adapter from sony for my dualshock 4. What a fantastic experience. Ive been playing dark souls 3 and nier mostly so far at 60 fps on my couch. Its awesome that the headphone jack on the controller works too. Wish i had done this a long time ago

Roshin

I just want my DS4 to act like a standard controller. Right now, it acts like a mouse, ie I move the cursor whenever I move the controller around. I can't apply configurations either. When I click "Apply", it just defaults to the same configuration.

Unai

The Witcher 3 is having problems thanks to this implementation once again. Before you could disable the dualshock 4 settings and the game would use the default native support for the DS4, but now it won't do it anymore even disabling the global support for the DS4.

Looking around on the internet it seems to be a recent update on Steam that did that, and not it's on both clients (beta and main).

The only workaround is disabling the Steam Overlay, but I'd rather not do that if possible. I hope Valve fix this soon.

KainXVIII

Better late than never 😀
Steam Client Beta - June 28th
Added battery level indication for Xinput and PS4 controllers. When the battery is below 25% a low battery indicator will show in the Big Picture main menu. Clicking this indicator will rumble or play an identify chime on the low battery controller.

Unai

The beta above fixed these issues as well.

The Witcher 3 is having problems thanks to this implementation once again. Before you could disable the dualshock 4 settings and the game would use the default native support for the DS4, but now it won't do it anymore even disabling the global support for the DS4.

Looking around on the internet it seems to be a recent update on Steam that did that, and not it's on both clients (beta and main).

The only workaround is disabling the Steam Overlay, but I'd rather not do that if possible. I hope Valve fix this soon.

XxCGSxX

Ok so this is more of a Windows 10 issue than a steam issue but here goes. My original dualshock 4 controller (psone classic edition) works perfectly on windows 10 apps and steam. Basically plugged it in and it installed drivers etc, works fine. Now I have another ps4 controller which is the one that came with my PS4 Pro, the redesigned one with the light bar on the touch pad, it installed apparently a different driver, it's recognized as an audio device also and automatically changes my audio to the "Headset earphone(wireless controller)". The thing is this dualshock 4 works on steam only, doesn't work on windows 10 apps like the Xbox App and Gears of War 4 like the older dualshock 4, also it's really weird it's detected as an audio device when there's no headset connected to the controller itself. Tried uninstalling this driver and plugging it again but it still shows up as an audio device and only works on steam. Any advice? also I don't have any dualshock 4 programs like ds4windows installed, basically just plugged in this two controllers and drivers installed.

Paragon

Ok so this is more of a Windows 10 issue than a steam issue but here goes. My original dualshock 4 controller (psone classic edition) works perfectly on windows 10 apps and steam. Basically plugged it in and it installed drivers etc, works fine. Now I have another ps4 controller which is the one that came with my PS4 Pro, the redesigned one with the light bar on the touch pad, it installed apparently a different driver, it's recognized as an audio device also and automatically changes my audio to the "Headset earphone(wireless controller)". The thing is this dualshock 4 works on steam only, doesn't work on windows 10 apps like the Xbox App and Gears of War 4 like the older dualshock 4, also it's really weird it's detected as an audio device when there's no headset connected to the controller itself. Tried uninstalling this driver and plugging it again but it still shows up as an audio device and only works on steam. Any advice? also I don't have any dualshock 4 programs like ds4windows installed, basically just plugged in this two controllers and drivers installed.
I'm surprised that either works in any UWP apps at all.
But this is why "native" DS4 support is bad.
It has to be supported per-application, and the two controller types have to be supported individually.
Ideally games would use the Steam Controller API with custom glyphs rather than "native" DS4 support.

The other issue right now is that Steam does not support UWP apps.
Until then, I think you're stuck having to use a tool like DS4 Windows.
It's a similar situation with the Steam Controller right now too. You need an external tool to use it with UWP apps. (GloSC - which may also work with a DS4)

I have heard that there is a change coming in the Fall Creator's Update which will finally allow Steam to identify the process of a UWP app and inject the overlay, if Valve don't build in specific support for identifying UWP apps.

Top Bottom