• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam for Linux officially released, Team Fortress 2 Penguin item, 50-75% off sale

Seriously considering making a seperate partition on my comp, both because of the linux promo (earbuds are exremely valuable in the steam market, I assume tux may be as well) and the fact that I really should have more experience as a CS Major.

JoseJX

Bought a few games to round out my Linux games list. I've been avoiding Steam in Wine lately in favor of playing/replaying games that have been ported, it's actually a great backlog helper!

Performance has been great on Gentoo with pretty moderate specs (Phenom 2 X4 965, Geforce 550Ti) with only minor messing around to get some games working (like deleting some bad libraries for SpaceChem).

Downloading Ubuntu right now, I must have that penguin. Quick (dumb) question: do I have to re-download Team Fortress 2 even if I've already downloaded it on Windows?

jediyoshi

I've played a few other games of this type, and I've seen a bit of TF2 gamplay youtube. It's this "best game ever" part I don't get. And I'm not willing to download 11 gigs and then spend months getting demolished by veterans for a chance to possibly understand what the special ingredient is that sets this apart from the rest.

If it doesn't look appealing on the outset, I'd avoid it. Linux shouldn't be the thing to draw you in if nothing else has so far. Some genres just aren't for some people.

Well, mac and linux support going forward for Valve is pretty much the same thing. I doubt we'll be seeing releases for one and not the other.

I hope so they have been super slow on the mac version of Dota 2. It would be cool if they came out with both versions at the same time, as long as its soon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ibcoLBxHKxophZ.png

EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can I run this shit from a live boot drive? Are the files the same so I can just run from Windows Steam directory?

No... Linux executables are fundamentally different... that's why Windows programs can't run on Linux, and vice versa. Well, not counting something like WINE, which is a compatibility layer.

No... Linux executables are fundamentally different... that's why Windows programs can't run on Linux, and vice versa. Well, not counting something like WINE, which is a compatibility layer.
Oh sure but... there's 7gb of map files, animations, voice samples and models to redownload. Kind of a pain to download all that stuff again when it could in theory be just a 30mb exe or whatever.

KarmaCow

Well fuck, can I seriously screw something up if I try to install Ubuntu to a partition on an external hard drive? TF2 items are great and all but it's not that enticing.

qwerty2k

Are the earbuds worth actual real money? I played TF2 like twice and have a pair as i played on Mac when they were giving them away.

HoosTrax

Can I run this shit from a live boot drive? Are the files the same so I can just run from Windows Steam directory?
I'm quite tempted to just copy my TF2 folder from Win7 and have Steam do the "verify" thing and only download what it needs.

But it's just going to result in a cluster**** of vestigal files that are only used by Windows I assume.

Acidote

After three evenings trying to make TF2 on Ubuntu with my AMD card, I give up. I'll have a friend get me that penguin. All this was more out of curiosity than anything.

Could not find required OpenGL entry point "glGetError"! Either your video card is unsupported, or your OpenGL driver needs to be updated

In terminal I can read this:

PROBLEM: You appear to have OpenGL 1.4.0, but we need at least 2.0.0!

But AMD reports I have 4.2 so that's not really it. And the driver installation is completely clean.

So I give up and say that, today, a steam linux market is inviable and major deals have to be made with card manufacturers for an easier driver installation. That, or they can wait a few months until AMD is bankrupt.

Angry Fork

After three evenings trying to make TF2 on Ubuntu with my AMD card, I give up. I'll have a friend get me that penguin. All this was more out of curiosity than anything.

In terminal I can read this:

But AMD reports I have 4.2 so that's not really it. And the driver installation is completely clean.

So I give up and say that, today, a steam linux market is inviable and major deals have to be made with card manufacturers for an easier driver installation. That, or they can wait a few months until AMD is bankrupt.

I got an error like this a couple weeks ago too, installed ubuntu and tried to launch TF2 but it gave an error I think it was the same but I'm not sure. I googled around but many of the responses involved coding trial and error and ubuntu jargon which I have no clue about. Some threads on steam forums said it was an ATI driver issue or something so I just gave up. I wanted to see how it ran but figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Oh sure but... there's 7gb of map files, animations, voice samples and models to redownload. Kind of a pain to download all that stuff again when it could in theory be just a 30mb exe or whatever.

Linux doesn't use exe in the way you are thinking (in a windows world).

edit: oh wow there is one for tf2? time to go check it out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
FINALLY. I've been waiting for Aquaria to go on sale for ages, as I missed the bundle it was in, and it NEVER goes on sale. But it has now, so hopped on that in an instant.

ari

Banned
All those games in the OP able to run in linux? Nice?

But lol at the ubuntu running on windows. Whats the point?

Tim-E

All those games in the OP able to run in linux? Nice?

But lol at the ubuntu running on windows. Whats the point?

The point of running it from a USB drive or a CD is to test it before you install it. You can also keep both OSes installed and run either one you wish.

For people with AMD cards that can't run Source games because of an OpenGL error, if your card is a 4XXX card or older, AMD considers those "Legacy" cards, and they won't be getting anymore driver updates. Which is terrible because my Radeon 4850 runs Source great in Windows but not at all in Linux. If you uninstall the proprietary driver, then Ubuntu should use the open source driver and you will be able to run TF2. However, the performance will be terrible, so I suggest getting the penguin and then uninstalling TF2.

The "games" number on platform/publisher landing pages actually includes DLC, so while there are ~100 Linux-compatible products on Steam, there are only 59 individual games.

Oh I suppose you're right. I was wondering where part of those 100 games went.

Half-Life 1 has come to OSX? Pretty cool. I don't even own it though actually.

It's been available for a few weeks now. Same with Counter Strike 1.6. They were released on the same day in Beta form a couple weeks ago for both Mac and Linux clients. I've heard that Blue Shift will be next in their release of GoldSrc games, hopefully Opposing Forces follows.

Where's the L4d series, cs go and halflife2?

Left 4 Dead 2 is still in closed beta, as far as I know. Portal 2 has also been reported as being in closed beta too on Linux. Hopefully they will be coming sooner than later. I also hope they get around to releasing Half-Life Source sometime soon too.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Up and running on redhat18, now all I need is dota 2 and my work pc will be less productive

hopefully bigger (dumber) companies will start to understand soon that releasing for linux gives them extra freedom since their games wont be tied to external proprietary technology .
Im pretty much a 3ds gamer these days but I will build a cheap rig ( like eurogamer s digital foundry one) to have fun!!!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I can't seem to get TF2 running with my shitty ATI X1600. I keep getting an OpenGL "glColorMaskIndexedEXT" error every time I try launching it in Ubuntu 12.10. Sucks cause I wanted Tux.

Nabs

I can't seem to get TF2 running with my shitty ATI X1600. I keep getting an OpenGL "glColorMaskIndexedEXT" error every time I try launching it in Ubuntu 12.10. Sucks cause I wanted Tux.

Check your inventory under community.

Got it installed in Mint Linux, though it's been quite a while since I last booted Mint, so I had to upgrade from version 11 to 14 (Cinnamon) before I could install Steam. Once I updated, the install process went off without a hitch.

I ended up having more Linux games in my Steam library than I thought, 42 in total. Installed TF2, started it up to get the item; I'll probably uninstall TF2 later, since it takes up so much space on the partition.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Check your inventory under community.

Yeah, I was finally able to sort of force the game but I didn't bother checking till after I did so so I'm not really sure when I got him. Anyways, I followed the instructions posted here with the edits from this post and the following command "steam -applaunch 440 -novid -textmode -nosound -noipx -nopreload -nojoy -sw -maxplayers 2 +sv_lan 1 +map "itemtest"".

Never actually saw the game launch, but it stopped spitting out the error so I went to go check my inventory and Tux was there!

BTW, while trying to find workarounds to my error I came across a guide for getting Tux in Windows by installing Ubuntu via VirtualBox. Here's the Steam thread for it, hope it helps someone who just wants Tux.

so I went through all of this trouble to get Steam working on Ubuntu, only to realize that I didn't make my Wubi installation of Ubuntu big enough when I installed it a year ago...

is there a way for me to increase the size allocated to Ubuntu? I installed in with Wubi under Windows

Hey guys I have a question. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit, I installed the proprietary beta ATI driver through the "Additional drivers" menu but the system reports that the driver is "activated but not in use". Any ideas?

HoosTrax

So copying over all of the Source engine and Team Fortress 2 *.gcf files (\steamapps\) from my Windows 7 install cut the 12GB download for TF2 on Linux down to almost nothing. I think those files accounted for 95% of the TF2 data.

No issues booting into TF2 (old GeForce 9600 GSO).

Totally pain-free experience with Ubuntu, no driver installations needed for anything.

So copying over all of the Source engine and Team Fortress 2 *.gcf files (\steamapps\) from my Windows 7 install cut the 12GB download for TF2 on Linux down to almost nothing. I think those files accounted for 95% of the TF2 data.

No issues booting into TF2 (old GeForce 9600 GSO).

Totally pain-free experience with Ubuntu, no driver installations needed for anything.

this is what I want to do, once I figure out how to expand the space allocated to my Wubi Ubuntu install =/

Top Bottom