• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam forced to authorize the sale of second-hand games in France

GamesAreFun

Banned
I guarantee you that all of these companies (with probably the exception of Sony) have a contract with the French and EU governments that supplies them with operating system software, email, collaboration software, or productivity software that they would revoke in a heartbeat rather than lose digital ownership rights to consumers.
Microsoft will stop selling Windows & Office in France, because of digital games? :pie_thinking: But those things actually make them money, unlike the Xbox!

This will probably end up like the card marketplace with valve double dipping on its cut.

Hopefully this move will eventually end region locking as well as it impedes the free flow of goods between customers.

bryo4321

Via a store controlled marketplace? If they can remove/add games from/to your account today, I can't see why it would be a problem here.
I see it being possible, I just can’t see any situation where this wouldn’t hurt the bottom line, why would you ever directly buy a game from the valve store versus just using their marketplace for a cheaper “used” license? Why would a company (game publisher) ever be willing to allow that? Literally the only way I see this being a thing is if lawmakers force it into law across huge markets like EU wide for example.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What if steam avoided this by not supporting France after this?

Steam could lose devs that doesn't want this, and if other storefronts follow suit, maybe they would pull out as well.

Katsura

It's funny how many people are concerned about the corporations instead of consumer rights. Used games are not new, neither are used books, movies, cars, houses, etc...
I'm all about consumer rights but i'm thinking that since we know for a fact that publishers wants to completely eliminate used games, they will find a way where the consumers ends up getting shafted such as an even bigger push for streaming

Sentenza

Via a store controlled marketplace? If they can remove/add games from/to your account today, I can't see why it would be a problem here.
Valve adds a mechanic that allows the transfer of ownership. Badaboom, done. Pretty simple, they already have the infrastructure in place with Steam Market, I wouldn't be surprised if they already have this feature ready to roll out, because this was inevitable to happen sooner or later.
The issue is not how do you implement the feature in the client. It's how you allow "digital resales" without the market collapsing entirely on itself in the following months. There's no such thing as a "used" digital copy. A "digital copy" of a software, no matter how much you "use it" doesn't degrade in quality over time. They would be virtually indistinguishable from the originals and far more aggressive in pricing.

Best case scenario that would come out of something like this is even the very few games "as single purchase" remaining these days attempting to turn themselves into "live services" to circumvent/devalue the the appeal of a "used" copy.
I'm generally all for "pro-consumer" choices no matter how hard they fuck a corporate entity, but I can see this sort of ham-fisted solution backfire spectacularly.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I'm all about consumer rights but i'm thinking that since we know for a fact that publishers wants to completely eliminate used games, they will find a way where the consumers ends up getting shafted such as an even bigger push for streaming

Why pay Google $60 to Stream Assassin's Creed when I could sell you a stream for $15?

cryptoadam

Banned
Why would I sell my used digital copy that is 100% the same as a new digital copy for less than full price? Outside of wanting to undercut Valve there is no loss of value.

With Gamestop the game was open, maybe manual was missing, disc could of been a little scartched etc...

My digital copy of BF V 1 year later is exactly the same as it was on day 1.

Outside of that well I don't really care about some giant corp. Devs/indies I care a bit but if its digital why not give them a cut? Valve could regulate it and take a cut of every "used" game sold.

Zog

Banned
Plenty, and on a time span long enough something like a magnetic or optical support is virtually guarantee to cease to function.

Last I checked "used" digital is *identical* to "new" digital. You are comparing 2 different universes.

I don't follow. Here's what happens. You go into a used game shop and you pick up a used PS4 game. It has the case and the game, it never had a manual or maps or anything extra so you have everything a new buyer has. Now you take the game home and you install it to your PS4, download all the updates and your used copy is exactly the same as a new copy.

There is no degradation.

If your disc is scratched you will know it right away as you won't be able to install it and you can return it for another copy.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I see it being possible, I just can’t see any situation where this wouldn’t hurt the bottom line, why would you ever directly buy a game from the valve store versus just using their marketplace for a cheaper “used” license? Why would a company (game publisher) ever be willing to allow that? Literally the only way I see this being a thing is if lawmakers force it into law across huge markets like EU wide for example.

Because there would be a limited supply of used games, and if you want the game day 1, you'll have to shell out. Also, they could apply some sort of bidding to each game, keeping the prices up and adding to the share that goes to devs/publishers/stores (if applied).

Lupin3

The issue is not how do you implement the feature in the client. It's how you allow "digital resales" without the market collapsing entirely on itself in the following months. There's no such thing as a "used" digital copy.

In the end it's up to each owner to decide how much they want to lose on each sale. But again, I have no idea how this would affect the market in the long run.

Sentenza

I don't follow. Here's what happens. You go into a used game shop and you pick up a used PS4 game.
And they are limitedly available both in quantity and distribution.
A "used" digital copy would be available in the same exact place where the original is sold and, past the very first hours of sale, just as easy to find and get.
It means that long tail sales will implicitly and unavoidably become a thing of the past. If you are a developer releasing a game on a digital store, you better be ready to the idea of selling just in the first DAYS at best, first hours at worst (if it's a game that doesn't keep a very high percentage of users attached).

There is no degradation.
The disc itself degrades over time. Google "disc rot" to get the gist of it. On a time span of ten, fifteen, twenty years an optic disc becomes an extremely unreliable support to rely on. Conversely, my NOW-16-years-old games on Steam will still work like the first day ten or fifteen more years from now.

If your disc is scratched
Oh right, and that's that risk as well. A disc can scratch, break, etc. And replacement will not always be possible.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
And they are limitedly available both in quantity and distribution.
So are used digital games.

A "used" digital copy would be available in the same exact place where the original is sold and, past the very first hours of sale, just as easy to find and get.
Same with physical.

It means that long tail sales will implicitly and unavoidably become a thing of the past. If you are a developer releasing a game on a digital store, you better be ready to the idea of selling just in the first DAYS at best, hours at worst (if it's a game that doesn't keep a very high percentage of users attached).
How is this not true for physical copies too?

The disc itself degrades over time. Google "disc rot" to get the gist of it. On a time span of ten, fifteen, twenty years an optic disc becomes an extremely unreliable support to rely on. Conversely, my NOW-16-years-old games on Steam will still work like the first day ten or fifteen more years from now.
This is an argument against physical discs in general, not used copies. Funny thing though, I am sure my PS1 and PS2 discs will outlast most digital shops.

Oh right, and that's that risk as well. A disc can scratch, break, etc. And replacement will not always be possible.
As I said, modern games must be installed (except Switch and the cart will either work or not) and you will know right away if it needs to be replaced within the given time period (usually 7 days).

Sentenza

"No", "no", "no", "yes" and "beside the point", respectively.
But I see you are just trying to split hair because you refuse to acknowledge any difference between digital and physical distribution, so let's drop this here.
I see no point in continuing the back and forth.

zeorhymer

Zog Zog I know what you're trying to do. The actual data on those discs do not degrade, but the medium that they are stored on do. I should be able to re-sell my ebook too! But you can't. Well my physical book will last at least 50+ years and can still read the contents. People don't re-sell the data, but the medium that it's stored on. If there is no media, there's nothing to sell.

Zog

Banned
Zog Zog I know what you're trying to do. The actual data on those discs do not degrade, but the medium that they are stored on do. I should be able to re-sell my ebook too! But you can't. Well my physical book will last at least 50+ years and can still read the contents. People don't re-sell the data, but the medium that it's stored on. If there is no media, there's nothing to sell.

When you buy a physical game, are you paying $60 just for the disc or for the disc plus the content. When you resale a game, do game shops give you a flat rate for every game because they are only putting a price on the disc itself? When the game shop sells a used game, are they only selling the disc itself and therefore all games are the same price?

No, please don't pretend that a game disc has any value without the data on it.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm not sure I like where this might go.
I've always been a big supporter of digital purchases being more than just glorified renting, which is why if any given PC game is available on GOG that's always going to be my platform of choice.

With that said, if this actually goes through Europe wide I doubt all of these multi billion dollar companies are just going to take the L and go with it, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an even higher push towards microtransactions and GaaS, moving even further away from actual game sales being the main source of income and making it all about "sustained user spending". Not to mention doubling down on subscription services where you don't own shit and it's all tied to you paying monthly, or any other form of legally backed distribution where the user has even less ownership over the stuff they pay for.

Kinda reminds me of when everyone in my country was complaining to health insurance companies about women having to pay more. When they became unable to do so everyone was like "ha, take that you evil bog companies". Their solution? They just increased prices for men

You know which modern gaming platform doesn't give a shit about this because it's almost entirely designed for everyone to have access to everything ,with games designed to be a platform to generate money from as opposed to the product itself? Mobile

Last edited:

Lupin3

Same with digital, yeah?

Some differences apply. Reading this thread, there are worries that the market won't survive. So why not add an incentive? Just throwing it out there. Also, as already stated, smalltime indie devs that heavily, or only, rely on digital sales will get a cut from this.

And again, for the billionth time. I have no idea how this would affect the market. I'm just thinking about our rights as consumers. If you can resell one game, why not the other? (I know it's complicated)

Sentenza

Some differences apply. Reading this thread, there are worries that the market won't survive. So why not add an incentive?
The "INCENTIVE" is exactly what some of us are concerned about. Try to imagine in your head what sort of "incentives" devs and publishers can come up with to devalue the trading of "used digital".

Also, back to the core of the topic, I'm wondering how the rest of the industry is reacting to this court ruling. I'm going to guess most of them must be in full PANIC mode, even competitors of Valve that should allegedly gloat over them taking this L.

P.S. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why Valve is being singled out in the first place. This will most likely affect dozens, if not hundreds, of digital stores. Not just videogames either. I guess iTunes will need to allow user resell their music, Youtube will have to allow users to resell their license for movies and shit, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Nightrunner

What degradation do modern used physical games have?
Talking more about the value of the package as a whole including box art, cases, redeemed season pass/dlc codes that all end up devaluing a used copy. You get people demanding more for games in "good" condition. Then you get the odd disc that is unusable thanks to the owner having treated it like trash-very rare with BDs but where I live (Pakistan) it is not uncommon to get used games that don't work at all simply because of how poorly their owners took care of em)

Z..

I could see all of these corporations going to the French government and saying.... "Wanna play ball, or not?"

I guarantee you that all of these companies (with probably the exception of Sony) have a contract with the French and EU governments that supplies them with operating system software, email, collaboration software, or productivity software that they would revoke in a heartbeat rather than lose digital ownership rights to consumers.

Maybe I'm just cynical though.

There's over 340 million people in the Eurozone alone, though (over 500 in the EU)... if this ends up spreading throughout the region as so many laws enacted in France tend to do you'd have to be kidding yourself to think publishers would just kiss such a profitable region goodbye, half of the top 10 gaming revenue countries are in the EU.

Lupin3

The "INCENTIVE" is exactly what some of us are concerned about. Try to imagine in your head what sort of "incentives" devs and publishers can come up with to devalue the trading of "used digital".

Why don't you explain what would happen? Because I'm not sure.

FStubbs

I'm not sure I like where this might go.
I've always been a big supporter of digital purchases being more than just glorified renting, which is why if any given PC game is available on GOG that's always going to be my platform of choice.

With that said, if this actually goes through Europe wide I doubt all of these multi billion dollar companies are just going to take the L and go with it, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an even higher push towards microtransactions and GaaS, moving even further away from actual game sales being the main source of income and making it all about "sustained user spending". Not to mention doubling down on subscription services where you don't own shit and it's all tied to you paying monthly, or any other form of legally backed distribution where the user has even less ownership over the stuff they pay for.

Kinda reminds me of when everyone in my country was complaining to health insurance companies about women having to pay more. When they became unable to do so everyone was like "ha, take that you evil bog companies". Their solution? They just increased prices for men

You know which modern gaming platform doesn't give a shit about this because it's almost entirely designed for everyone to have access to everything ,with games designed to be a platform to generate money from as opposed to the product itself? Mobile

Mobile would be affected. I download Money Drain Quest 5 for free. I pay for $200 worth of Pavlovian stimuli. I should be able to resell these used microtransactions to another MDQ5 sucker, because it's a used digital good. And I'll sell it for $20.

Even this mobile trash stops making money.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is this not true for physical copies too?
Scope, and struggle. Right now if I wanted to sell one of my physical PS4 games, I have a couple of options. I could lug it over to a used game store and maybe make a couple of bucks off of it (in credit), or I could put it up on eBay and sell it in a national (or potentially) worldwide marketplace. I suppose I could list it up on Craigslist or maybe advertise at my work to see if anyone was looking for a used copy. All of these things take time, effort, and potentially a certain amount of trust with your trading partner. The point is, you the consumer have to do all of the legwork to turn your piece of plastic you bought back into money. Your scope is limited to local transactions unless you're willing to pay a company like eBay, Paypal, UPS, etc a cut of your transaction to reach a wider audience. If I want to sell more than one game, the struggle aspect usually increases, sometimes exponentially.

Now enters digital game sales on Steam or other platforms. The mechanisms for making the transfer of ownership happen are incumbent on Valve (or any other digital storefront owner) to provide to you by law now. If you want to sell a game, you just click a button and immediately have access to a huge network of people worldwide who may want to buy your digital game from you. You press a button, and the storefront takes care of the rest - the license is automatically transferred to the buyer and you the seller automatically gets funds deposited in your account (does anyone really think that "Credit" is going to fly for the purposes of this law?). I guess they could make this process as difficult as possible, like maybe if you want to sell a digital game you have to print off a piece of paper and physically mail it to someone so that they can scan it in manually using their Valve brand desktop scanner?

The point is, the physical second-hand market has been able to thrive in the digital age because of the above factors of scope and struggle. Having instant, easy access to replace those aspects digitally means people could buy a used digital copy every time they wanted to play a game, then sell it when they're done with that play session 25 minutes later. Then rinse and repeat every time they play the game, losing maybe only pennies at a time. Now imagine doing this with a PS4 disc and hiking over to gamestop several times every weekend to sell / rebuy the game you want to play and tell me there's no difference.

There's over 340 million people in the Eurozone alone, though (over 500 in the EU)... if this ends up spreading throughout the region as so many laws enacted in France tend to do you'd have to be kidding yourself to think publishers would just kiss such a profitable region goodbye, half of the top 10 gaming revenue countries are in the EU.

The region is profitable now because they're able to sell their products there. Implementing this would not only significantly reduce their profits but would also be detrimental to their business interests worldwide. There is no profit in operating at a loss (as well as the potential for that loss to spread elsewhere if you give in to demands). You think I'm kidding, but I would put good money on a bet that if it came down to brass tax and Valve or other digital publishers were told "let users 'own' their digital goods and sell them secondhand" would be the day those companies would close up shop in those areas. They would probably, eventually, reopen if and when they had a solution that met with the scope of the law, like Sentenza Sentenza is saying some sort of GaaS model or one-time-only account-bound in-game purchase.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Why don't you explain what would happen? Because I'm not sure.
I... actually already did?
Sales collapsing quickly will be the first, immediate step. Publishers and developers stepping away from any form of digital distribution (starting with Steam now and then backing off of any digital market as the ruling will inevitably extend to other services) could be another mid-term consequence and then more and more trying to embrace the "game as a service" format that will make the "basic purchase" basically worthless by itself, and devoid of any resell value.
Oh, also a lot more "free"-to-pay stuff, I guess.

Last edited:

Lupin3

I... actually already did?
Sales collapsing quickly will be the first, immediate step. Publishers and developers stepping away from any form of digital distribution (starting with Steam now and then backing off of any digital market as the ruling will inevitably extend to other services) could be another mid-term consequence and then more and more trying to embrace the "game as a service" format that will make the "basic purchase" basically worthless by itself, and devoid of any resell value.
Oh, also a lot more "free"-to-pay stuff, I guess.

Sorry, I don't read all the posts in a thread. However, this sounds like speculations only. Or do you have sources/hard data that prove your point?

Z..

The region is profitable now because they're able to sell their products there. Implementing this would not only significantly reduce their profits but would also be detrimental to their business interests worldwide. There is no profit in operating at a loss (as well as the potential for that loss to spread elsewhere if you give in to demands). You think I'm kidding, but I would put good money on a bet that if it came down to brass tax and Valve or other digital publishers were told "let users 'own' their digital goods and sell them secondhand" would be the day those companies would close up shop in those areas.

This is a hard one to predict, quite frankly. I suppose we'll know soon enough, it'll take years before anywhere besides France implements such measures whereas Valve won't take that long to respond to this so it'll all become clear before long. I do think you're overselling the doom this would represent for the industry, though... a drop in profitability isn't the same as a region suddenly becoming profitless, even if this does succesfully go through I'd be very surprised if it has that significant an impact on profits to justify abandoning the region altogether, it'll always be worth the hassle, imo.

Sentenza

Sorry, I don't read all the posts in a thread. However, this sounds like speculations only. Or do you have sources/hard data that prove your point?
No, I'm sorry, I "don't have the data" because there's absolutely no precedent to this sort of idiotic bullshit.
We are going toward uncharted waters of self-harming fuckery here. Be ready to say goodbye to your single purchase packed with value and without heavy external monetisation attached.
They were already going the way of the dodo, anyway.

Last edited:

Lupin3

No, I'm sorry, I "don't have the data" because there's absolutely no precedent to this sort of idiotic bullshit.
We are going toward uncharted waters of self-harming fuckery here. Be ready to say goodbye to your single purchase packed with value and without heavy external monetisation attached.
They were already going the way of the dodo, anyway.

Then I guess we're done here!

Kadayi

Banned
I disagree; it's no different to the used retail games market. Valve & publishers have gained too much control from digital games, it's about time it swings back towards consumer rights. Even if Valve "abandoned" France, it allows a more respectable digital retailer to sell to ~70 million people. I'm sure Epic or GoG would be happy to step in.

You understand that they'd be subject to the same ruling as Valve right? Essentially this would set a crazy precedent that would impact any form of account-based digital purchase. Apple, Microsoft, etc would all be impacted by this. It's envisaging that your licence is a limited resource, when that's not the case at all.

Games, music, films, TV shows, software

Do you think Amazons going to allow me to sell my read Kindle books? Or Apples going to let me sell my bought songs? Never going to happen. This shit will get revoked at appeal purely on the basis of dumbfuckery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom