• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam In-home Streaming Officially Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qassim

Hmm, Just tried this for the first time. Cant say I am really impressed. Image quality was pretty good but mouse and keyboard latency was no better than onlive, and thats over the internet.

Testing from one pc to another both hardwired to a 100gb switch. Both capable of running the tested game (quake live on practice). If I had to guess, it felt like 200-250 ms latency. Should be much better than that over the same LAN IMO.

100gb switch?!

Either way, there's something wrong with your network if you're getting anywhere near that latency. I can get 2-3ms on wireless in many parts of the house on my laptop, max of 8-10ms.

On wired, I get less than 1ms.

Helznicht

Sorry 100MB.

Would love some suggestions on diagnosing my network. Sounds like you guys are getting good results. I will try the stats monitoring to see if it can shed some light on whats going on.

Framerate is super smooth on quake live both on the host and client, resolution is very good and looks "almost" native. Its just the delay between clicking the mouse button and firing the rocket is delayed (lagged). I know quake live is very twitchy, but I thought it would make for a good test over a LAN. Seems it did.

Hasney

Sorry 100MB.

Would love some suggestions on diagnosing my network. Sounds like you guys are getting good results. I will try the stats monitoring to see if it can shed some light on whats going on.

Framerate is super smooth on quake live both on the host and client, resolution is very good and looks "almost" native. Its just the delay between clicking the mouse button and firing the rocket is delayed (lagged). I know quake live is very twitchy, but I thought it would make for a good test over a LAN. Seems it did.

Sometimes individual games themselves can be the issue though. The stats should give you an actual input lag number at least, but if that's high on Quake, it might be worth trying another game. I'm 1gb from my host to my router, but 100 between the router and the host, so I doubt that would make much difference.

I can finish Metal Gear Rising very well with this, so I'm not getting hit with much input lag here. I can't think of what else ot diagnose it.

Oxirane

Quick test streaming to a MeegoPad T01.
Xriy2bT.jpg

-Windows 10 Technical Preview
-Wireless 360 Controller
Not sure what the streaming settings or latency values were.

Qassim

Sorry 100MB.

100Mbit switches are quite dated these days, 1Gbit (1000Mbit) home switches are cheap and commonplace and perform well for a typical home scenario. In fact, wireless has been capable of far in excess of that for quite some time, with n (300Mbit+) and ac (1000Mbit+) being readily available.

Not to mention the fact that most home switches generally aren't very good, low buffer sizes, performance degrades very quickly under any sort of load, etc, so you're probably not even getting that 100Mbit.

Whilst 100Mbit should be enough for Steam in-home streaming to work fine, there may be other factors at play that reduce the performance of that switch depending on how many other devices are on it.

Helznicht

Quick test streaming to a MeegoPad T01.

-Windows 10 Technical Preview
-Wireless 360 Controller
Not sure what the streaming settings or latency values were.

5ghz dongle for the win man, thats awesome.

So I played a bit with the settings over lunch. The monitoring tools is great, tells you everything thats going on. At default, I was at around 65ms latency from click to screen reaction. I didnt realize I was so sensitive to it now (I used to play with a lot worse back in the quake 1 days). Anyways, I took it to fast and 720p. Latency now down to <30ms, and at that level it feels natural to me to where I can thread rockets between walls/pillars while jump strafing. image quality takes a dive, but when I tried it on a HD widescreen 1080p TV, it looked pretty good. would probably look awesome on a tablet also (will try that tonight). I am making some mem upgrades to the host POC this week and will check if that improves anything. Thanks guys.

What are your specs on the host machine?

I can guarantee that it's not the host or client specs. The host is a new build and the client is the build that it replaced. Both are/were dedicated game machines.

After some testing this afternoon, I think I'm just really sensitive to the lag that is inevitable with any kind of streaming. With racing games, it seems especially bad but with 3rd person action adventure titles, it's legitimately hard to distinguish from a stream or a live game.

Anony

I'm having trouble streaming from desktop to surface pro

1. having steam launch does not recognize the 2 computers, i need to go into settings -> in-game streaming to make the 2 computers connect
2. launching the stream fails and gets a 'can't connect to remote computer' popup and the game proceeds to run on host computer

i've googled this problem a month back, didnt get any answers

this was working during the beta when i was playing around with it

a secondary part of this is
my router is on b, i know it should be able to do 720p60, but it doesn't, i'm monitoring my wifi on surface, and it seems to max out the wifi for a few secs, drops to near 0, then maxs again (as if it was buffering or something)
i've turned off power saving, and it still does that
anyone played around QoS on the router for steam and does it make any improvements?

Anony

any help?
i uninstalled my virtualbox/vmware which created an extra ethernet port
put the steaming_client.exe part of the windows firewall
both does nothing

Hasney

Your router is on b wireless? I'd be shocked if that works. It's hard enough on n.

Something changed during the beta where I had to get wired or use 5GHz ac wireless for 720p60. It splutters and wheezes on N.

phinious

Can anyone recommend a cheap netbook or laptop that I could stream steam to? Is it possible to get a good $200-300 experience?

If only I could get this to work just a little bit better it could be bloody awesome. I've got both computers connected via 1Gbps connection on the network but it just doesn't look or feel right to play games this way unfortunately :(

Hasney

So I was looking into something to start and shutdown the host remotely ready for Steam Link and I found this guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/522728268876555995/

Tried it out on my laptop partition and it works fantastic. Depending on how many games the Link can play natively, I might add it to the startup script.

If only I could get this to work just a little bit better it could be bloody awesome. I've got both computers connected via 1Gbps connection on the network but it just doesn't look or feel right to play games this way unfortunately :(

Set everything to beautiful and click hardware encoding/decoding? I have heard anecdotally that NVidia cards in the host work better with the hardware encoding.

WillyFive

My problem with this is that few games work great with it. Others crash, others don't even boot up for streaming, others boot up but fail to stream, and others just don't work with the latency.

Hasney

My problem with this is that few games work great with it. Others crash, others don't even boot up for streaming, others boot up but fail to stream, and others just don't work with the latency.

That's very odd. I don't think anything has failed and I use it at least once a week. Hell, I even finished Revengance on it.

bati

Been a while since I've used this. Two questions:

1) Does the screen on origin device still have to be unlocked (ie, no winkey+L)?

2) Is the streaming resolution still locked to the main monitor's resolution? My monitor is 1680x1050 which was less than ideal to stream to a 1920x1080 tv.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm thinking to upgrade my monitor to either 2560x1440 16:9 or 3880x1440 21:9. Those of you that game on your PC at higher than 1080p, how does that affect steam home streaming? Do you have to work around things, or does it just work? Any issues with UI/text size etc?

dex3108

I'm thinking to upgrade my monitor to either 2560x1440 16:9 or 3880x1440 21:9. Those of you that game on your PC at higher than 1080p, how does that affect steam home streaming? Do you have to work around things, or does it just work? Any issues with UI/text size etc?

You can limit resolution in Settings/In-Home Streaming/Advanced Client Options on your living room PC.

Hasney

Yeah, only issues I've run in to with my host being a higher resolution were around aspect ratio as it's 16:10 and some games didn't like showing me 16:9 resolutions. Everything will be delightfully downscaled.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, only issues I've run in to with my host being a higher resolution were around aspect ratio as it's 16:10 and some games didn't like showing me 16:9 resolutions. Everything will be delightfully downscaled.

Hmm. What if I buy a 21:9 monitor for my host machine? Anyone doing that and streaming to a 16:9 TV?

Hasney

Hmm. What if I buy a 21:9 monitor for my host machine? Anyone doing that and streaming to a 16:9 TV?

It's game dependant, but some games won't let you pick an aspect ratio different than the host machine. It'll still work, just letterboxed. It's rare either way though, think only about 10 games have done it to me.

SMattera

I'm having an issue getting this to work with my Norton firewall. I've been disabling it entirely while I game, but I don't want to do this anymore. Anyone know which settings I have to change/programs to allow?

Gumbie

Just got a Dell XPS 18 All-in-one that I'm wanting to start streaming to from my host computer. My network speeds between the two are great and the host pc is plenty powerful enough to handle the streaming. I've seen around the web different people saying stream streaming is buggy and full of issues but I wanted to ask the people who use this regularly what are your impressions of it these days?

Gumbie

Steam in home streaming sucks for me in Windows 10. Works perfect in Windows 8.1...I was streaming Witcher 3 perfectly at 60fps and when I upgraded to Windows 10 it's like it put a 30fps cap on it. It's not a network issue because it happens on the host computer too when it's streaming. Reverted back to 8.1 and all is well again.

FlipCup

Neo Member
Steam in home streaming sucks for me in Windows 10. Works perfect in Windows 8.1...I was streaming Witcher 3 perfectly at 60fps and when I upgraded to Windows 10 it's like it put a 30fps cap on it. It's not a network issue because it happens on the host computer too when it's streaming. Reverted back to 8.1 and all is well again.

I know this is a pretty dead thread but I also wanted to say that I am seeing the same thing. Does anyone have any solutions?

Gumbie

I know this is a pretty dead thread but I also wanted to say that I am seeing the same thing. Does anyone have any solutions?

From what little info I've found using google fu it seems like it might be a problem with the Nvidia windows 10 drivers not using hardware encoding even if the box is checked in the steam options. I use the in home streaming a lot so I'll be sticking with 8.1 until it gets fixed. Who knows for sure though.

Hayabusi

Here I was, thinking about upgrading my HTPC in the living room with a new CPU and a dedicated GeForce 970 or something..(i3-2100T without a GPU at the moment, it's solely for media)
Now I will just add the GPU to my i5-2500K desktop in the office, buy a Steam Link (so that I don't need to turn on the HTPC) and be done. :)

How comparable are Steam In-Home Streaming and Nvidia's solution?

Besides the fact that I use them on two different devices, I haven't observed any meaningful difference. I guess nVidia's was slightly more difficult to get set up but that was mostly because I was behind on my nVidia Experience version and didn't realize it.

Hasney

Yeah, there was a difference in the betas, but once hardware enabled encoding on the host side was enabled, anyone on a GTX 600 series or above had a similar experience no matter the program.

You know I was sitting with my 2 year old daughter this afternoon and she insisted on watching monsters Inc on our 1 big tv.

So while she did I streamed MGSV to my laptop and did a couple of main and side missions. Perfect 60fps 720p (that's all my laptop can do, screen-wise)

I'm honestly not sure that valve knows what it's created for gaming-dads like me. There once was a time that I'd just have to wait or go off to another room entirely. Their streaming solution works perfectly and keeps me together with my kids rather than sidelining me from them. This is honestly, for me, the biggest innovation in gaming since analog sticks.

Thanks to everyone at valve, your work is bringing my favourite pastime into my childrens lives in a very organic way. It doenst hurt that, technologically, its nearly perfect. Even on my modest connection.

Latest beta build supposedly improves wireless performance

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/announcements/detail/741198242343408343

We have made dramatic changes to the streaming network code that should improve the experience on wireless networks. Please try these out by opting into the beta version of the Steam Client on all computers:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Betas

Please make sure you're running the Steam build dated October 9th or newer on both the host and client computers.

Please report any issues on the bug discussion group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/1/

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom