• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
4D11519D8EC9C0410CF5D59A0BD1213628C4F31C

(ignore the 7, that's just the key i use for screenshots lawl)

k our mighty adventurers are ready for turn-based combat

i still think most rpgs should have like a small testing arena to try out your created characters before hitting the commit button

Speevy

Banned
I have this weird feeling of cognitive dissonance regarding mods.

On the one hand, I love how much work modders put into a game and how that fills the game with content that is compelling beyond the original "vanilla" game. Some of it changes the way you play, which can add untold hours to your game time.

On the other hand, the amount of influence I exert over a game, the more I feel less compelled to finish it.

Let me describe an example. So let's say I add a spell to one of the stores in Skyrim. Now, I buy the spell and discover that it kills virtually any enemy in the game with little effort on my part. Now, I can choose not to use the spell. I can remove it from the game. I can keep it and just enjoy the game knowing that I've sucked all the challenge out. However, all of these choices lead me to the inevitable conclusion that there is something that dulls every enemy encounter in the game. Every time I run from a powerful enemy, I'll ask myself if I should be using that spell, and that conflict concerning my influence rears its ugly head again.

kudoboi

I know, I know.
Ones who haven't bought Strider. D:

j/k

Strider was an excellent purchase decision. I generally hate metroidvania type of games but I really enjoyed the 2.5 hours I have put into the game so far. I guess if there is one complaint it's the fact that the game have some horrible checkpoints

Ventara

You just had to ask.

That's probably the worst track on the OST. It's sort of like that one Sanic track in that both sound like terrible garbage.

The other main problem is that most of the songs on that OST are just variations of the main theme over and over again, so it gets shit on a lot. Some of the songs aren't that bad though, but you can really tell why a lot of people hate the game's OST in particular.

It sounds like farting. Surprised it is as bad as you made it out to be. But that's just for one part of the game, right? It's not gonna repeat throughout the whole game? I don't mind the main theme repeating, as long as it's decent. I can put up with that.

Tellaerin

On the one hand, I love how much work modders put into a game and how that fills the game with content that is compelling beyond the original "vanilla" game. Some of it changes the way you play, which can add untold hours to your game time.

On the other hand, the amount of influence I exert over a game, the more I feel less compelled to finish it.

Let me describe an example. So let's say I add a spell to one of the stores in Skyrim. Now, I buy the spell and discover that it kills virtually any enemy in the game with little effort on my part. Now, I can choose not to use the spell. I can remove it from the game. I can keep it and just enjoy the game knowing that I've sucked all the challenge out. However, all of these choices lead me to the inevitable conclusion that there is something that dulls every enemy encounter in the game. Every time I run from a powerful enemy, I'll ask myself if I should be using that spell, and that conflict concerning my influence rears its ugly head again.

The answer is to avoid installing mods that add game-breaking content to your game. ; )

aku:jiki

Read the RiftWar Saga (first 3 books), you'll thank me later.
I'll add it to my near-infinite bookmark folder of books to buy. I'll read it in about 20-30 years at this rate...

Let me describe an example. So let's say I add a spell to one of the stores in Skyrim. Now, I buy the spell and discover that it kills virtually any enemy in the game with little effort on my part. Now, I can choose not to use the spell. I can remove it from the game. I can keep it and just enjoy the game knowing that I've sucked all the challenge out. However, all of these choices lead me inevitable conclusion that there is something that dulls every enemy encounter in the game. Every time I run from a powerful enemy, I'll ask myself if I should be using that spell, and that conflict concerning my influence rears its ugly head again.
I use mods, and sometimes even cheats, after I complete a game but feel like I didn't quite have enough of it. I'm not into replaying the campaign over again or just grinding the eternal features of some games for no reason, so I need an excuse and a mod can provide exactly that.

For example, messing around with SpiderMod to give myself ridiculous item combos in Binding of Isaac gave me 4-5 extra hours out of that game. I also found a lot of fun in just giving myself map, compass, lucky foot, pyro and skeleton key and then just playing normally with that.

zkylon

zkylewd

sounds like shitty mods are your problem rather than mods in general :p

i do generally stay clear of item and balance mods unless they're very conservative as modders tend to be a bit too extreme

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
with so many engine fuckups bethesda should already start implementing in-game in-lore "spells" that are actually console commands

like magic stone of progression and reviving scrolls and shit

A spell based on shit would definitely make Skyrim more interesting.

Coreda

There are mods that make gameplay more difficult/balanced/etc, as well as fixing bugs. They aren't all about making you OP. I watch an LP'er who uses such mods deliberately to make the Bethesda games they play more challenging.

Tellaerin

with so many engine fuckups bethesda should already start implementing in-game in-lore "spells" that are actually console commands

like magic stone of progression and reviving scrolls and shit

Yanno, if I didn't know better, I'd almost think you weren't fond of Bethesda. >.>

Caerith

ok so ace team hates this guy and think he's the devil then

Possibly the opposite. The lore behind Paganini in AO is that he was so talented that it was rumored the only way he could have obtained his talent is by striking a deal with the devil. Including him as a demon is a testament to his talent as a musician.

I mean, there's this, or his works inspiring Rachmaninoff to write this, for instance.

Edit: beaten, but whatevs.

Just finished off like the best couple matches of Counter Strike with Paul, animlboogy, Junko, and Ozium. We absolutely wiped the floor with this team on comp Dust 2, after that we somehow vote for a rematch, and then shit got real. They put on their King Tryhard pants and played us to a draw. Dunno how the hell that happened. It was awesome though. First match was like 16 and 3.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like farting. Surprised it is as bad as you made it out to be. But that's just for one part of the game, right? It's not gonna repeat throughout the whole game? I don't mind the main theme repeating, as long as it's decent. I can put up with that.

There are a few other less than stellar tracks but overall it's not too bad. I still think that Sanic Chronicles has a worse soundtrack.

I had more fun with YNI than I did with YI DS, if that matters.

MayMay

Banned
Just finished off like the best couple matches of Counter Strike with Paul, animlboogy, Junko, and Ozium. We absolutely wiped the floor with this team on comp Dust 2, after that we somehow vote for a rematch, and then shit got real. They put on their King Tryhard pants and played us to a draw. Dunno how the hell that happened.

That can happen?! Never in my life have I played a competitive rematch in CSGO lol There's always one ass that votes "no"

Ibuki

Banned
Just finished off like the best couple matches of Counter Strike with Paul, animlboogy, Junko, and Ozium. We absolutely wiped the floor with this team on comp Dust 2, after that we somehow vote for a rematch, and then shit got real. They put on their King Tryhard pants and played us to a draw. Dunno how the hell that happened.

So good. Looking forward to more. It was world war 3 in that bitch.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think that my favorite thing about divinity from the 15 minutes i've played it is the looting animation that the item just jumps into your pocket

so silly

Yanno, if I didn't know better, I'd almost think you weren't fond of Bethesda. >.>
oh really

what makes you say that!

Possibly the opposite. The lore behind Paganini in AO is that he was so talented that it was rumored the only way he could have obtained his talent is by striking a deal with the devil. Including him as a demon is a testament to his talent as a musician.

I mean, there's this, or his works inspiring Rachmaninoff to write this, for instance.

Edit: beaten, but whatevs.
yea i figured

was just poking fun :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom