• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

- too many bohemia games. i don't hate bohemia or anything, i genuinely had fun trying to figure out the arma2 controls like it was some sort of fez puzzle or something, but it's so many similar games is kind of lame
- no more talking about videocards. no more talking about hardware. omg that was so fucking bad. that mystery case was only good for smashing your head open with it
The sponsor-effect.

Yeah, that was way too long, I stopped watching during Blizzards bit and was only listening to it while surfing for the last half an hour or so.

ExoSoul

Banned
I appreciate the write up. Though even with this and everything I have seen, I'm still just not feeling it. It's on my list to try for myself at some point. Hopefully then it sticks.

Hopefully the first planet you visit is full of dino-esque creatures ^_^

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Has card idling time been increased to counteract refunds? Cause idlemaster seems to be taking forever for cards to drop

I was going to mention this earlier, but the PC conference took precedent. I've idled Unhack and Road Not Taken, using the traditional switch app id method, and it took over two hours for the first card for either game to drop.

I remember someone in the previous thread mentioning that something like this could happen to counteract refunds, but I'm still disappointed if that's the case.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm up that early I could make the most of the day and continue playing Witcher 2 (yep two)

But I first have to take a shower to wake me up. And I really hope the two espressos will kick in soon

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like how they kind of showed us Soma and pretty much told us nothing about it.

Tektonic

I was going to mention this earlier, but the PC conference took precedent. I've idled Unhack and Road Not Taken, using the traditional switch app id method, and it took over two hours for the first card for either game to drop.

I remember someone in the previous thread mentioning that something like this could happen to counteract refunds, but I'm still disappointed if that's the case.

It's only my anecdotal evidence, but it seems to take much longer, almost like idlemaster isn't working. (But I did get some cards, just hours for first drop)

(Valkyrie chronicles dropped 1st card after 1.4 hours, gunmetal same, beep at 1.3 no drop yet)

Shadownet

Banned
Congratulation Knurek! You won, "Sir, You Are Being Hunted." Please add me whenever you get a chance. Next giveaway coming right up.

oipic

That's where my problem lies. I'm just not good with exploring and being able to just do whatever. Maybe it's my creative/imagination drive but I lose interest in games such as that. Why I won't play something like mine craft, survival games, and other things of similarity. As I said still going to try it at some point though, maybe Itll get me over this not liking to explore hump.

The creativity aspect I completely get and can relate to - I see the appeal of Minecraft and other creative building type games, but they're not for me. My creative juices don't flow freely, and I'm intimidated by a blank canvas.

Exploring, on the other hand, if given a gentle push by an overall goal, I can do - there's absolutely nothing 'creative' about Euro Truck, obviously (although some of my hugely bungled parking efforts may suggest otherwise), but I find it strangely zen-like and calming... much like creative building games might be for others, I guess.

Vamphuntr

my constructive criticism for the pc e3 thingie would be:
- thing was too long, or felt too long. shorter next time pls
- too many bohemia games. i don't hate bohemia or anything, i genuinely had fun trying to figure out the arma2 controls like it was some sort of fez puzzle or something, but it's so many similar games is kind of lame
- more videos, less talking. at least less talking before the videos
- no more talking about videocards. no more talking about hardware. omg that was so fucking bad. that mystery case was only good for smashing your head open with it
- if you're gonna do like a late show thing then maybe not have like half the developers stand and do traditional e3 conference thing? felt very awkward
- if you're gonna interview developers, why not have them do like a live playthrough or something rather than play a cg trailer or whatever? indies actually did this in the show, so get bigger games to do that too
- indie:bigger games ratio was pretty good
- needs a few bigger reveals, it's not cool to make half the show out of like expansions for existing games. it's just nowhere near as exciting. i guess this is something that comes with pc games just lasting longer than console games or something, but still, announcing new games is cool, that beyond eyes shit was super cool

uhh that's all i got

I agree with this. I would also add that a lot of the guests had simply nothing to show. I feel like I wasted 2 and half hours. Phil Spencer showed up to announce KI and GeOW without much details (ETA, Win 10 App store exclusive?). He pretty much admitted himself he had nothing to promise or show. Obsidian showed up with a CGI trailer for the pilllars expansion and talked about Kickstarter and Paradox instead of the game. Chris Roberts stuff was pointless. I learned more about Cliffy's obsession with CSGO than his new game. Some of the trailers were already shown before like Tacoma and Soma. The intro with the mountain dew in a glass wine with the tears was embarrassing. So was the AMD product placement. If it wasn't for the host it would have been a complete disaster for me.

I felt like they had a number of guests in mind and they simply filled the schedule even if they didn't have any meaningful stuff to show.

Shadownet

Banned
My birthday is not for a short while. But I can't wait till then to give back something to you guys so here it is.

I'm doing 23 giveaways. There are only 5 rules.
1. Please only enter for games you don't have.
2. Once you win something, you are no longer eligible to win any other giveaways. So think about and make sure that it is the game you want. Maybe the next one might be better.
3. I reserve the right to take off any name that was entered if I find out you're a lurker or whatever.
4. Each giveaway will most likely be either 24 hours or until people stop entering. Whatever happen first. I will give a warning post before I close up the giveaway.
5. Don't wish me Happy Birthday yet. If you do, I will send ninjas and spiders after you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please quote to reveal the link, input your name and good luck!

Giveaway #11: Double Dragon: Neon
header.jpg

user237

Has card idling time been increased to counteract refunds? Cause idlemaster seems to be taking forever for cards to drop

Make sure you have the summer sale game (appid 368020) blacklisted or idlemaster will get stuck... at least it did for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Yes, I'm getting a lot of reports within the past 6 hours or so that cards don't seem to be dropping from games until after the 2 hour mark. Seems Valve found a way to close the buy -> idle -> refund loophole. Although it really sucks for those of us with hundreds of games left to idle - personally this change will add another 654 hours to my idling efforts.

I'm not sure if this is live yet on all games, but I've tested it with a few and ran them for 1.5 hours and got nothing.

Tektonic

Yes, I'm getting a lot of reports within the past 6 hours or so that cards don't seem to be dropping from games until after the 2 hour mark. Seems Valve found a way to close the buy -> idle -> refund loophole.

I'm not sure if this is live yet on all games, but I've tested it with a few and ran them for 1.5 hours and got nothing.

I've got some after 1.4 hours, seems like that might be the new low-limit

Salsa

going through some kinda out of the blue personal life absolute shit right now, good lord. lots of talk about community stuff in here so I guess if anyone wants to know what's up you can figure it out from the drunk thread in OT community

made me miss the last part of the PC stream. guess I didnt miss anything?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got some after 1.4 hours, seems like that might be the new low-limit

Good to know. I'll run some tests of my own overnight and see what I come up with.

Yes, I'm getting a lot of reports within the past 6 hours or so that cards don't seem to be dropping from games until after the 2 hour mark. Seems Valve found a way to close the buy -> idle -> refund loophole. Although it really sucks for those of us with hundreds of games left to idle - personally this change will add another 654 hours to my idling efforts.

Noticed that same thing earlier today, tried to idle a few games and all of them didn't drop after the 15 minute mark.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Phil Spencer makes a really good point about early access. He says that every EA game on xbox will have a demo so people know what they are getting

Steam should do that

Tektonic

The real problem with idling is this: how am I going to get cards to sell so I can buy games!!

Cmon valve, I won't refund!

Milamber

Phil Spencer makes a really good point about early access. He says that every EA game on xbox will have a demo so people know what they are getting

Steam should do that

And give pirates some kind of a backdoor? Don't think they will.

It's up to the developer to make the demo, not steam anyway.

if you guys haven't gotten Dominions IV you should go get it now.

If you look at something like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings II and go "boy, what kiddie-pool baby-mush easy peasy nonsense is this", Dominions IV might just be for you!

It's fantastically ugly, but the game is absurdly deep. It's very, very hard to explain how deep and interconnected the game is. Sort of like how Spelunky is interesting because everything is playing by the same mechanics and ruleset, and everything is interconnected and consistent underneath the surface? Dominions IV is like that. It's like "emergent gameplay" in a combat-centric 4X game.

The manual is almost FOUR HUNDRED PAGES long.

There's no learning curve; it's basically a learning sheer wall that stretches off into space. But if you press at it long enough, some really amazing things can start to emerge.

Probably the best way to get a feel for the game is to read this hilarious 3-part diary from PCGamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/part-one-one-rocks-fight-to-become-top-deity/

Tektonic

And give pirates some kind of a backdoor? Don't think they will.

It's up to the developer to make the demo, not steam anyway.

In the old days, pc demos were just 1 level or a a timed thing. But I guess it's "too expensive" to make a standalone demo like those days.

(Pirates used to hack the time limit, but it was only useful on some simple games)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Phil Spencer saying they shouldn't restrict where people want to play and it's all about choice is hilarious assuming the windows store exclusivity

Picked up Environmental Station Alpha and so far I'm really not digging it. I'm all for Metroid-likes and pseudo-retro 2D games but the visuals in this game are almost too minimalist, to the point where some things in the environments sort of don't read well. It's Amiga/Atari Metroid. It's kind of visually muddy. So far this stands in pretty stark contrast to Out There Somewhere. Where O.T.S. took heavy inspiration from Cave Story it also broke your expectations by being this brilliant little 2D take on Portal with its teleportation gun. You did get a gun but combat wasn't the central theme of the game, platforming through these ridiculous beam puzzles was. E.S.A. is super derivative of Metroid Fusion, the setting is similar to the point where I won't be shocked if something like the SAX shows up. Xeodrifter is super derivative of Metroid as well but it's really well done. It's also got limited and minimalist 2D art but everything reads really well. I mean my only problem with Xeodrifter was the lack of variety and it ended just as it was sort of hitting it's stride (only takes like 3 hours to beat, maybe 4 to 100%).

I'm trying to play everything I buy for at least an hour before I consign it to the backlog but where Out There Somewhere was a treat, Environmental Station Alpha feels kind of like a chore.

Turfster

12 hour deals
  • Gunpoint 80% off
  • Devil May Cry Franchise 0-76% off
  • Phantom Breaker 75% off
  • Gone Home 88% off
  • Injustice 75% off
  • Supreme Commander 2 75% off
  • Dust 80% off
  • Overgrowth 25% off
  • War for the Overworld 40% off
  • RAGE 75% off
  • The Ship 80% off
  • Chroma Squad 15% off
  • Eastside Hockey Manager 33% off
  • Kentucky Route Zero 50% off
  • Oceanhorn 50% off

Jawmuncher

The devil may cry sale is so fucking sad. I get it. New one is coming out. But to see that much no sale on a page is rather sad.

jshackles

Oceanhorn - finally! Been waiting for this one to hit a daily or flash.

Lain

Steam should do that

Don't we have 1hour and 59minutes demos for all games on steam now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom