• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines/Controller/Link - Reviews Thread

Some of the sites started to put these up. There's an OT (sorta), where people have been sharing their impressions.

Controller:

VentureBeat (review #1)

Unless you have a terrible need to play keyboard-and-mouse games on your television, I’d recommend waiting before buying the Steam Controller.

Microsoft and Sony make better controllers for most kinds of games, and they both work just fine with your PC — and the DualShock 4 will even connect wirelessly over Bluetooth with a Steam Link or Steam Machine without any extra dongles. If Valve or other developers step up with games that make more sense for this controller, then maybe it will make sense. But not yet.

VentureBeat (review #2)

When I first tried the Steam Controller, I wasn’t into the idea. I was convinced that there would be no elegant way to bring the precision and speed of a mouse to the body of a gamepad.

Now, I see a concept that could make that idea work. The disc system allows for control input that is similar to what I look for in a mouse.

What’s required to really make the Steam Controller work, however, is my willingness to practice, and go through the training of physically conditioning my hands, to make the transition to this alien-feeling control scheme.

IGN - 5.9

TechRadar - 3 out of 5 stars

Until you decide you can stand a few glitches and incompatibilities, not to mention the overall lack of competitiveness of the controller, I'd recommend sticking to what you know works - whether that's a keyboard and mouse or another type of controller.

If you're willing to see what the platform has in store, add to the ground floor of Valve's next big idea and think outside of the (orange) box, this controller could be the very thing your thumbs have been aching for.

PC Gamer (WIP review)

I have no doubt that some diehard PC gamers will put in tons of time customizing Steam Controller profiles, practicing, and becoming much more accurate than they ever would be with gamepad aiming. But the best you’re ever going to get is almost as good as a mouse, and I think games designed for an Xbox or PlayStation pad will still play better with the native hardware. Spending hours trying out the Steam Controller in the living room, I realized that don’t see much reason to make that compromise. There are very few PC games without controller support that I really want to play on my TV. When I tried, I mostly ended up just missing my mouse.

Tested ("not a review")

Today, the Steam Controller should be considered an early-adopter device. It's novel technology and hardware that requires tinkering and patience to meet the needs of couch PC gaming. We waited almost two years for it to come out, and I'm glad it's not vaporware. Still, I wish Valve would've given it more time to release it "when it's done". The current Steam Controller isn't. We'll review it when it is.

Kotaku

I wish I had something more definitive to say. Let’s end on this: do I recommend that you buy a Steam controller right now? No, not really. The hardware’s still early and, in some ways, physically uncomfortable. I won’t be surprised if we see a slightly tweaked second iteration sooner rather than later. On top of that, while many games have a plethora of custom control options at this point, many others don’t. This is almost a textbook case of new hardware syndrome. Watch and wait. The Steam controller—customizable and potentially precise as it is—could grow into something truly special in the coming months and years. It’s just not quite there yet.

Engadget (more like an opinion piece about the negative reception)

It's the perfect PC gamepad for me: It's versatile enough to replace my Xbox 360 gamepad (I may never use it again), enable causal couch play for games never intended for the living room and it's made me think twice about using a mouse and keyboard in all but the most competitive or complex gaming scenarios. The Steam Controller is an amazing evolution in game control, but far too many gamers will never know. And all because change is hard.

PC World

The Steam Controller is the real story, here. It’s an elegant solution to a seemingly insurmountable problem—“How do you play every PC game ever made on a single input device?” As I said, without the Steam Controller there is no Steam Machine.

Give it three days, five days, a week. Put in the effort, and I think you’ll be pleased with what opens up to you. Do I think we’ll see pros using the Steam Controller to play Dota 2 anytime soon? No. At least not at a high level.

But for a lazy Sunday? Bringing the PC out to your couch has never been easier.

Previously Recorded

Maximum PC - 75/100

We imagine that the Steam Controller has the potential to age like a fine wine once more of the community gets their hands on it, but we unfortunately can’t review a device based on potential. As it is right now, the controller will allow you to get more headshots in if you’ve got the patience to tame its wildness, but if you’re not into the tweaking scene, we suggest you hold off until more user presets are made and the bugs are steamed out.

Linus Tech Tips

Link:

VentureBeat

I appreciate Valve’s intent here, but a lot of sections in the gaming hardware and networking pipeline need to be improved before I see something like the Steam Link being a great solution. The company may be a bit too far ahead of its time on this one.

TechRadar (2 pages) - 5 out of 5 stars

Comparison aside, gamers who are new to Steam have a decision to make before they invest in Steam Link. Do Valve's pre-built Steam Machines sound more up your alley, or are you up for the challenge of building your own computer? If you go with the former, the Steam Link becomes a redundancy, as Steam Machines are built to fit into your living room.

The Steam Link makes near-perfect sense if you envision yourself wanting to make serious upgrades to a custom-built PC. You can rest easy knowing that Valve's streaming box will scale with any improvements you make to your computer or internet service in the future.

PC Gamer (WIP review)

With trial and error or a lot of luck, your Steam In-Home Streaming experience may end up far better than mine, but right now I’d consider the Steam Link a $50 bet. The hardware gets the job done, but the software still badly needs work. Since it’s so clearly unfinished I’m not attaching a score yet, but I wouldn’t recommend buying the Steam Link to anyone as it currently functions.

PC World

But here’s the deal: From the day you buy a full Steam Machine, it starts to degrade, and the internal hardware becomes increasingly outdated. Steam Link? As Valve further optimizes in-home streaming and as you upgrade your primary PC, the Steam Link experience can only get better, year after year after year.

Machines/SteamOS:

Gizmodo

If you love PC gaming, and are specifically a long-time Steam user who loves PC gaming, then you owe it to yourself to give this puppy a go. If you’re a gamer who’s lukewarm on PC gaming—especially if you don’t use Steam—don’t do it.

Especially given the price. With the cheapest version set at $450, that’s a hundred bucks more than a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and a hefty price of admission for a ride you might not enjoy.

PC World

Linus Tech Tips (SteamOS)

Shawsie64

Banned
Until you decide you can stand a few glitches and incompatibilities, not to mention the overall lack of competitiveness of the controller, I'd recommend sticking to what you know works - whether that's a keyboard and mouse or another type of controller.

Stick to another type of controller due to lack of competitiveness? I beg to differ:

Steam Controller motion controls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43ibnztDLc

Steam Controller VS Mouse - Multiplayer Counter-Strike: Global Offensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSeRwYotCQ0

Age of Empires 2 played against hardest AI with a Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEq1YJn4W-w

Typing of the Dead with the Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xdSqbZ-go

Steam Controller Or Cheats?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOZ8P48bSs

Long Dota Game with Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fps5wQ4PlaI

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Multiplayer using the Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7BOjzT1ks

Quonny

Link seems like it does well what it set out to do, if not yet but maybe in a few patches. I'm tempted to get one, but I need to see a lot more real world wireless setups before I commit.

The controller seems like it does nothing overly well and requires perhaps more patience than many people will have. Writing was on the wall with that one.

Also, man, that Dota 2 example posted above is awful. He fiddles in the shop for like 30 seconds and misses a ton of CS while there is no opponent in the lane.

kami_sama

While I understand most of the complaints against the Steam Controller, I've using mine since the start and I must say that I like it. A lot less gimped than using a normal controller in some games.

viveks86

Yeah. Been trying it at home for a while now and it just doesn't feel right. Very disappointed. Don't think I'll ever get around to using it :(

Koobion

I'm really interested in trying out the controller, especially since it seems so polarizing. It's nice to see evidence that it can be pretty quick and accurate if you're able to get used to the weirdness.

PC Gamer (Controller WIP review)

I have no doubt that some diehard PC gamers will put in tons of time customizing Steam Controller profiles, practicing, and becoming much more accurate than they ever would be with gamepad aiming. But the best you’re ever going to get is almost as good as a mouse, and I think games designed for an Xbox or PlayStation pad will still play better with the native hardware. Spending hours trying out the Steam Controller in the living room, I realized that don’t see much reason to make that compromise. There are very few PC games without controller support that I really want to play on my TV. When I tried, I mostly ended up just missing my mouse.

you know what else reviewed poorly?
alien: resurrection on PS1
mostly for its strange, awkward, flawed control scheme. Who has time to learn how to move with the left stick, and aim with the right? Nobody, that's who

Man, I hope that I find the Steam Controller better and more useful than some of these reviews imply. I ordered one on a whim two nights ago and I can't wait to fuck around with this weird thing.

Shawsie64

Banned
I'm really interested in trying out the controller, especially since it seems so polarizing. It's nice to see evidence that it can be pretty quick and accurate if you're able to get used to the weirdness.

A few bugs in the software side but the hardware is great. Shits all over gamepads with PC games. Once you get used to it it's very accurate.

mostly for its strange, awkward, flawed control scheme. Who has time to learn how to move with the left stick, and aim with the right? Nobody, that's who

Man, I hope that I find the Steam Controller better and more useful than some of these reviews imply. I ordered one on a whim two nights ago and I can't wait to fuck around with this weird thing.

Oh it most definitely is.

I just can't agree with some of those reviews regarding the Steam Controller,at least for me Its been fantastic.Although I do stick to k/m for fps games.It needs time to learn and I'm not convinced they gave it any/enough.

Gizmodo (Alienware Steam Machine review)

If you love PC gaming, and are specifically a long-time Steam user who loves PC gaming, then you owe it to yourself to give this puppy a go. If you’re a gamer who’s lukewarm on PC gaming—especially if you don’t use Steam—don’t do it.

Especially given the price. With the cheapest version set at $450, that’s a hundred bucks more than a PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and a hefty price of admission for a ride you might not enjoy.

deleted

Some of their arguments seem don't seem thought out or it seems like they either didn't try enough or really didn't like the controller. The latter point is valid of course, but there are huge amounts of praise among those who have given the controller some time.

We have to adapt and overcome muscle reflexes that build up over the last 15 years to really enjoy the controller. That takes a fair amount of time. But for some games this thing just clicks. Playing Anno or Cities on the big screen with the controller feels really relaxing.
3rd Person and arguably even 1st person shooters are right at home with the added gyro aiming.
Adventure Games are a no brainer. RPGs like Pillars or SRPGs control like a dream while laying on the couch.

It is a great addition to the current set of controllers and I can see at least one of the big 3 adapting at least to a right haptic track pad in the future to make shooters on their console more competitive.

The Link is a really elegant piece of hardware that fits my needs exactly. It functions well enough to stream VPN Netflix from my desktop. It plays games without adding lag to the controls. And there are a few hiccups here and there, but I personally don't care too much about them and feel like they will be ironed out in the near future (I'm looking at you 30 mbps bug -_-).

Can anyone using Steam OS or a Steam Link speak to the stability of BPM? I've avoided using BPM on my desktop because it regularly crashes when using the overlay. It's happened on multiple installs of steam and windows. I started using it again now that I have the steam controller and I already had steam crash 45 minutes into playing fallout 4 leaving me unable to control the game at all. Had to force quit the game and lose progress.

kami_sama

Can anyone using Steam OS or a Steam Link speak to the stability of BPM? I've avoided using BPM on my desktop because it regularly crashes when using the overlay. It's happened on multiple installs of steam and windows. I started using it again now that I have the steam controller and I already had steam crash 45 minutes into playing fallout 4 leaving me unable to control the game at all. Had to force quit the game and lose progress.

Strange. I've been using it since I received my controller and I've had no crashes.

GRaider81

Im still tempted by a Steam controller.

I just cant get to grips with a MKB after moving from console. THink this might be an easier transition.

Veal

I think valve will be eventually proven right in the end with their vision for the controller. While there are some changes I'd like to make to it, the base is really strong and has room for improvement through software which, outside of the Elite, no other controller has claim to.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Haha, why the hell is hardware getting a score? That makes absolutely no sense, instead the reviews should talk about pros and cons and summarise at the end.

It's clear Valve's intent is to provide a meaningful link between PC and the living room, but it will take time for that to click with consumers. Maturity of the hardware will bring better support and more options, just like the console's and their vision.

Branduil

Check the IGN review - he breaks it down pretty well.

The relative cheapness of the controller could be a valid criticism, but his biggest complaint seems to be that he couldn't immediately use the touchpads as effectively as controls he has used for years.

Karanlos

Anyone able to test Wii u pro controller and link? I didnt have time for further testing but it connected and I could navigate the menues and shutdown the link by using the home button.

I think the Steam Controller is more a complement rather than a substitute, but this reviewers seem that they want to use the steam controller to play Street Fighter IV or Towerfall

Valve will have a bit challenge going forward in making the controller easier to use. Especially when it comes to control schemes.

Right now it feels built for people to tinker and constantly modify and try out new control ideas. Which is cool if you're into that.

As someone that just wants things to work, it's too complicated and not especially user friendly. Hopefully they can get that to a good place in the future, because there is potential in the controller. It's just not easy to play games on it unless you investment a ton of time tinkering.

Damn, it's that bad huh?

Still gonna check it out when I find it cheap. The problem with this controller is that it doesn't solve the biggest issue of playing pc games on the coach: the tiny ass UI. Even 50cm from my 27" monitor System Shock 2 was barely playable with its minuscule text.

Rootbeer

Banned
Geeze... Valve, if you are going to step into a new market you better be willing to put the money into it to make it work. Looks like the steam controller is going to be a real flop.

I hope they take the feedback to heart and give us a killer version 2.
A lot of the controller reviews seem to add up to "it's different, therefore bad."
That's not what I'm taking away from some of these reviews. particularly the video reviews that show up up close and personal the build quality and how it compares to other controllers on the market. It has plenty of major flaws. I agree that the IGN video is a pretty well-rounded summation of the problems.

Fitts

Returned my Steam controller. Felt incredibly cheap and not the plug-and-play solution I was looking for.

Won't pick up my Steam controller after these impressions. I was leaning towards that after reading through the GAF thread impressions for it as well.

I will grab the LINK though. I will use a 360 controller with it. Too bad the XBone wireless dongle doesn't work.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

One of the few instances where Gamespot was right. Dual analog first person controls are shit.

I think valve will be eventually proven right in the end with their vision for the controller. While there are some changes I'd like to make to it, the base is really strong and has room for improvement through software which, outside of the Elite, no other controller has claim to.

Both the XBO and PS4 controller can receive firmware upgrades.

GRaider81

Won't pick up my Steam controller after these impressions. I was leaning towards that after reading through the GAF thread impressions for it as well.

I will grab the LINK though. I will use a 360 controller with it. Too bad the XBone wireless dongle doesn't work.

Not that it's right or wrong but interesting you value those impressions higher.

Personally prefer reading the hands on of actual users who are using everyday rather than blasting through for a review. Still undecided though as there are definately some issues I'm a bit concerned about.

I really think this is something that individuals probably need to try for themselves. Valve needs to get them out to the public more imo.

Not that it's right or wrong but interesting you value those impressions higher.

Personally prefer reading the hands on of actual users who are using everyday rather than blasting through for a review. Still undecided though as there are definately some issues I'm a bit concerned about.

I really think this is something that individuals probably need to try for themselves. Valve needs to get them out to the public more imo.

I mentioned that I had read impressions in the GAF thread as well.

A lot of the reviews are just reiterating and confirming the same issues.

It's a shame about the middling controller reviews, but I can't say I'm surprised. Microsoft and Sony have spent the last couple of decades refining and perfecting their controllers and you can bet that a ton was sunk into R&D for both companies. Not saying there's no room for improvement, but if either of them felt that trackpads were the way to go, they probably would have tried to implement them two generations ago.

Veal

Both the XBO and PS4 controller can receive firmware upgrades.
Regular XBO controller? I know the Elite can. Are you saying the XBO controller could eventually support the Xbox accessories app? If not, then it will probably remain static where the steam controller won't. Honestly didn't know about the PS4 controller though. Same questions apply. Is Sony looking to expand the functionality of their controller through firmware updates that radical change how the controller responds or what it can do? The steam controller's functionality has received big updates since it soft launched.

Regular XBO controller? I know the Elite can. Are you saying the XBO controller could eventually support the Xbox accessories app? If not, then it will probably remain static where the steam controller won't. Honestly didn't know about the PS4 controller though. Same questions apply. Is Sony looking to expand the functionality of their controller through firmware updates that radical change how the controller responds or what it can do? The steam controller's functionality has received big updates since it soft launched.

Xbox one controllers have been receiving firmware updates since launch. I think they can now use the app for certain features as well.

I had no idea about the dual shock 4 controller though.

Veal

Xbox one controllers have been receiving firmware updates since launch. I think they can now use the app for certain features as well.

I had no idea about the dual shock 4 controller though.
Cool. Then my point is bunk. I still believe in the steam controller though. The industry needs things like this.

Nzyme32

Stick to another type of controller due to lack of competitiveness? I beg to differ:

Steam Controller motion controls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43ibnztDLc

Steam Controller VS Mouse - Multiplayer Counter-Strike: Global Offensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSeRwYotCQ0

Age of Empires 2 played against hardest AI with a Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEq1YJn4W-w

Typing of the Dead with the Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xdSqbZ-go

Steam Controller Or Cheats?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykOZ8P48bSs

Long Dota Game with Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fps5wQ4PlaI

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Multiplayer using the Steam Controller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7BOjzT1ks

Yeah I have to agree. Over the past month, the Steam Controller has had some awesome updates that really improve it. But on top of all that, it becomes quite intuitive over time and with some practice / the right bindings - which currently are a mess to sift through or find the best one, yet this is something I see as very easily fixable. For the tinkerers amongst us, this works well enough now and has all the tools to make pretty much any game type work either on par or better than a traditional controller, or simply very close to a keyboard and mouse.

For people that want a pick up and go solution though, this probably isn't it. You have to be willing to put a few days into practising something new. If you are unwilling to try gyros, get used to trackball mechanics etc, you probably shouldn't bother, but for everyone else, I definitely recommend giving the controller a chance. What happens in the future once Valve organises the bindings better and provides more features, will be exciting for sure.

Sum it up.

- Controller isn't any good.
- Link needs works on software side.
- Machine is just an overpriced pc.

Well I can disagree on the controller side of things, since it is pretty much my main controller choice for everything now when in the lounge, but I'd always go for keyboard and mouse for keyboard and mouse centric games where available. The Steam Controller can get close with practice and the right bindings / mouse+gyro combo, but the decades of experience with mouse and keyboard, speed accuracy and improved articulation, make it an obvious choice

Top Bottom