• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

It sounds like we're going to be waiting longer for prices to get where we want now.
Look at all those daily prices from Summer. Watch a majority of those not be the sale price this upcoming sale. But rather the price tier above it. I might be extremely skeptical at this point, but I just don't see really good deals coming out of this. Outside indie titles that were never going to be featured.

Dsyndrome

You think it's Valve doing this or publishers pushing back on everyone waiting for the next sale?

Edit: So I only care about the first day of the sale? What's the point after that?

Jawmuncher

You think it's Valve doing this or publishers pushing back on everyone waiting for the next sale?

I'm hoping it's just a case for the one sale. Since the Thanksgiving and Winter sales are so close. Might as well treat it like a halloween sale or such.
Since if winter is handled the same way, that kinda defeats the purpose of having that sale for such a long time. Since who cares what's going to be featured? Not like it'll go down in price.

Ozium

every steam sale sucks though so why would this change anything?

next thing you know they are gonna get rid of holiday crafting and badges

edit: this is totes garbage because they had a smart thing going from a business standpoint earlier in that they had it set up so that people would check the store at least every day if not twice a day, many people only steam during sales and the dailies and voting brought exposure and excited the community.

valve is fucking done as a company after this, mark my words

Jawmuncher

Still seems really off to me. The biggest advantage I see here is for the publishers. Since the masses won't know that the system has changed. Thus they'll just see titles on the front page and buy, thinking they're at more of a discount since they're there.

I'm hoping it's just a case for the one sale. Since the Thanksgiving and Winter sales are so close. Might as well treat it like a halloween sale or such.
Since if winter is handled the same way, that kinda defeats the purpose of having that sale for such a long time. Since who cares what's going to be featured? Not like it'll go down in price.

Depends -- they may still do some sort of meta.

If they worked with publishers, they might come up with something that worked like the sales of old -- people seem to think that SAM killed the achievement sales, but what you got for getting the achievements was never really anything super valuable. My sales purchases dropped a lot over the years because of this going away. I used to just see what the daily challenges were and then if a game was cheap enough and looked fun, I'd buy it to go get those sale specific achievements.

Perhaps they could work this so that the featured games are the games you can do whatever for the meta with. Even if it's play <x> hours or something. Who knows.

At the worst, it's good for my wallet, at best, maybe a few games on my wishlist hit prices I'm interested in buying them for. Sure, the "look forward to tomorrow's dailies" will be gone, but so will the "sale isn't enough, i already own it, or not interested" disappointment on a daily basis.

every steam sale sucks though so why would this change anything?

next thing you know they are gonna get rid of holiday crafting and badges

edit: this is totes garbage because they had a smart thing going from a business standpoint earlier in that they had it set up so that people would check the store at least every day if not twice a day, many people only steam during sales and the dailies and voting brought exposure and excited the community.

valve is fucking done as a company after this, mark my words

Marked.

Jawmuncher

So, should someone make a thread about it on gaming?
It sounds like a big news.
Someone should, not me though.
Depends -- they may still do some sort of meta.

If they worked with publishers, they might come up with something that worked like the sales of old -- people seem to think that SAM killed the achievement sales, but what you got for getting the achievements was never really anything super valuable. My sales purchases dropped a lot over the years because of this going away. I used to just see what the daily challenges were and then if a game was cheap enough and looked fun, I'd buy it to go get those sale specific achievements.

Perhaps they could work this so that the featured games are the games you can do whatever for the meta with. Even if it's play <x> hours or something. Who knows.

At the worst, it's good for my wallet, at best, maybe a few games on my wishlist hit prices I'm interested in buying them for. Sure, the "look forward to tomorrow's dailies" will be gone, but so will the "sale isn't enough, i already own it, or not interested" disappointment on a daily basis.
Marked.

Eh, the meta stuff is fun and all but I much prefer actual discounts to any of that. Like the gem auction was nice, but I still would have preferred to just see that game at a heavy discount over that.
As of right now all I see this doing is letting everyone bitch about the sale the very first day. Hell this will kill the Holiday Sale thread, since it's all the same price from Day 1. So no one will even really talk past that first day.

I wonder if they'll even bother with any sort of game this year. If you can get everything you want at its lowest price on the first day there isn't really any point in checking the sale again after that.

Ozium

Eh, the meta stuff is fun and all but I much prefer actual discounts to any of that.
As of right now all I see this doing is letting everyone bitch about the sale the very first day. Hell this will kill the Holiday Sale thread, since it's all the same price from Day 1. So no one will even really talk past that first day.

people will still want to know if a game is worth it tho

Now it's GOG's turn to have awesome sales.

Also,
Zfp47v3.jpg

Eh, the meta stuff is fun and all but I much prefer actual discounts to any of that. Like the gem auction was nice, but I still would have preferred to just see that game at a heavy discount over that.

Some of the auctions with the gems allowed for getting games at pretty steep discounts.
But just because there's achievements for the game or some other type of meta doesn't mean you'd get a better discount if there wasn't.

But yeah, better discounts are always preferred.

people will still want to know if a game is worth it tho

Exactly.
People who can tolerate that type of stupidity will still have the whole duration of the sale where people ask "is featured game of the day worth it?"

Now it's GOG's turn to have awesome sales.

Also,
Zfp47v3.jpg

GOG? Gross.

What's this new sale system?

It's spelled out pretty clearly in posts above.

imagine the weekly deals with slightly better games and 2 extra days

Nicely put. :lol

Jawmuncher

Huh, I could just check my wishlist and be done with the sale in 3 mins, thanks for saving my time for me Valve I guess.

About the only benefit. Doubt most titles will be at a low price though. I just don't see many publishers going with their Daily/Flash price the entire duration.

I don't really mind if it's only for this autumn sale.
Just please don't, for the love of human race, put it on winter sale too, or even worse, it becomes the norm for every sales from now on.

Lomax

Woah, no dailies is crazy. I predict that only lasts the one sale. Minor change? That pretty much completely alters the entire sale fundamentally. On the plus side, games that never hit their max discount because they never got a daily will hopefully go for a better discount this time. Might make for a great catalog sale winter sale. But no dailies?

On the other hand, if the fall sale is the same, that means the winter sale kinda starts on the 25th... and kinda ends then too.

But I'm sure they'll make up for it with an awesome metagame! Or not.

yuraya

There are just too many games on Steam at this point. Lots of developers want to be on the daily/flash but Valve can only host like 150 or so during the week. The other 6000 games get left out.

They need to think of something new and restructure everything.

Jawmuncher

I have a feeling this is gonna be the worst sale, but that they'll make it up during the summer when Reddit complains enough to them.

Deitus

Well, the nice thing is not having to hope the game I want to get someone goes on sale before Christmas so I can get it for them as a Christmas present.

But I can't see any way this doesn't result worse discounts. I really hope this doesn't become permanent.

Jawmuncher

Well, the nice thing is not having to hope the game I want to get someone goes on sale before Christmas so I can get it for them as a Christmas present.

But I can't see any way this doesn't result worse discounts. I really hope this doesn't become permanent.

Yep that's my biggest issue with it.
For example like when we got Korra for 3.75 or whatever it was last sale. We all know how stingy Activision is. They aren't going to price a game like that for an entire sale. Just using that as an example.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142555

there's the link to the thread texhnolyze made dunno why it wasn't linked already

I missed that, thanks.

Wasn't Winter Sale equal to or worse than Fall last year?

IIRC it was the same thing, possibly with a few exceptions. I want to say the sales forms given to devs rolled over between the two (not 100% sure though).

Yeah, it was pretty similar iirc.
Perhaps it's because both sales are too tightly scheduled.

New Steam sale motto: wait for the bundle
There are just too many games on Steam at this point. Lots of developers want to be on the daily/flash but Valve can only host like 150 or so during the week. The other 6000 games get left out.

They need to think of something new and restructure everything.

At this point I'd rather browse my wishlist than the storefront. It's a mess.

Dsyndrome

what's the deal with the steam thing then?

i think one discount for all the sale is a good idea

Because it's more than likely going to be the shitty "All Sale" discount, and since it's active the first day, there's no incentive to come back to Steam once their active unless you have some internal struggle as to whether or not to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom