• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam: Perils of Summer Sale from June 24 to July 4 (Save up to 95% off)

Amneisac

Yeah, I mean I'm not trying to ruin anyone's L4D fun, there's plenty of time to enjoy both for what they are. I was just saying that for me, from a purely gameplay perspective KF > L4D. Of course, I don't know why L4D has hipfire only, that game is screaming for aiming down the sights.

I had a modest haul of Borderlands, Left4Dead 2, and GTA4 all for around $25, thus adding to my growing Steam account of about 30 games.

Out all the games I've own only beaten like maybe Portal.

Funny thing is, I don't even consider myself much of a PC gamer, despite me building my own nice gaming rig! Steam plus my console backlog, I might just never fully finish my gaming collection ever.

And thus continues my adventures of hardly ever paying day one full prices for games ever again.

This thread is filled with people who bought a ton of great games during the sale . . . . . .

. . . . and then went right back to playing Team Fortress 2. :D :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, I'm the worst offender.

NewFresh

Lets add this up:

Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
$5
Thief: Deadly Shadows
$3
Shatter
$2.50
Half-Life 1
$2
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
$5

=$17

I should have bought something else to even out to $20

Jokey665

So I just played a good bit of TF2 and it's growing on me (I posted a few days ago about being unimpressed with it). It might have helped that I found the GAF server by sheer luck and played on that, but it was pretty fun.

EDIT: Oh and how the fuck do items/crafting work?

Shaneus

speculawyer said:
This thread is filled with people who bought a ton of great games during the sale . . . . . .

. . . . and then went right back to playing Team Fortress 2. :D :lol :lol :lol :lol

We're all going to be guilty of this... out of all the amazing retail games I've purchased, I've put the most time into Shatter and Beat Hazard (which I bought months ago).

AcridMeat

Banned
Jokey665 said:

You get items via achievements for specific classes as well as random drops. Crafting is done in the menu under character customization. You can read up on what you need specifically to craft certain items but typically you need things in 3s.

edit: Uplink is awesome.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Amneisac said:
Wow. So Killing Floor is just better than L4D isn't it. What a fucking sweet game for $5.
It's kind of like comparing Madden '10 and MLB '10 the show, imo. L4D and Killing Floor both games have zombies and co-op, just like football and baseball are both team sports and involve balls, but other than that the similarities more or less end.

I think L4D has a similar game type to Killing Floor (as mentioned by previous posters, though I can't confirm since I haven't played survival in L4D), but really, they're very different games.

I picked up:

Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Gothic 2 & 3
Flotilla
Commandos 1, 2 & 3
Left 4 Dead
Darwinia
Multiwinia
Defcon
Uplink
Cryostasis
Freedom Force
Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
Grand Theft Auto 4

All this for less than the price of a new XBOX 360 game. The grand total came out to about $52.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ElectricBlue187 said:
Despite being obviously similar I like the two games for completely different reasons. L4D is great for campaigns and KF is like a super unforgiving hardcore death simulator
Let's just start with the, Killing Floor is not better than L4D, nor is L4D better than Killing Floor. You are comparing two completely different games. Even though Zelda and DMC share a bit of the same set up, they are two completely different takes on it.

2nd, L4D's survival is crappy mini game, that really isn't well thought out nor a good fit for the game.

3rd, Killing Floor really isn't a super hardcore game. It has a steeper curve, but it gets progressively easier. While L4D always remains the same.

4th, Both are completely worth owning for all your zombie killing needs. Killing Floor is my most played steam title, be past by TF2 soon though.

axiomnightmare

Neo Member
Got some good games this time like The Witcher and Left 4 Dead 2. Wanted to get a few other games, but the sale was too small. Hopefully I can snag them during the annual winter sale.

The M.O.B

Lead & Gold is so good, I can't believe more people did not get it. Everything is great except there are not enough servers with good pings, the ones that do have good pings are always full O_0.

Would be great to get a GAF game going though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jokey665 said:
So I just played a good bit of TF2 and it's growing on me (I posted a few days ago about being unimpressed with it). It might have helped that I found the GAF server by sheer luck and played on that, but it was pretty fun.

I don't think I would say that TF2 is my favorite online FPS of all time, but it will very likely be the one I put the most time into. Despite all the classes and weapons and crafting and etc. etc., it is just so easy to get into. If I stopped playing practically any FPS other than TF2 for a week and a half, I'd feel scared to go back to it because I was out of practice, but I'm totally cool with going back to TF2 after a 4 month hiatus because I may not be able to actually do well but I at least know I can contribute.

::edit::

Also - I wonder what combination of videogames and other random commentary in this thread scored the proper keywords for a Whataburger ad?

2nqdyl0.jpg

Just finished Bionic Commando (the non-Rearmed one). I had a blast with it. The story was kind of silly, but the game itself was a joy to play. The swing mechanics were just perfect, and I loved feeling like a god. I wish this game didn't bomb... I would totally play another.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
Sweet. How are you handling the 2 images, shutter glasses?
Oh, its 3D, I was thinking its before and after shots and thinking "I must be blind, all I see is the shot was taken at a slightly different angle"

DogWelder

speculawyer said:

You only played KF for 20 mins before you quit. :(

My breakdown:

Agatha Christie Collection 13.99 USD
(Agatha Christie: And Then there were None)
(Agatha Christie: Evil under the Sun)
(Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express)
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010 5.00 USD
(Uplink)
(Multiwinia)
(DEFCOM)
(Darwinia)
Ghost Master 0.95 USD
Evil Genius 4.99 USD
X-Com Complete Pack 11.24 USD
(X-COM: Apocalypse)
(X-COM: Enforcer)
(X-COM: Interceptor)
(X-COM: Terror from the Deep)
(X-COM: UFO Defense)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat 13.39 USD
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (ROW) 6.99 USD
Cryostasis 3.24 USD
Europa Universalis III: Complete 14.99 USD
*Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne 9.99 USD

Total 84.77

*Expansion pack for EU III that wasn't included in Complete that many in this thread seemed to miss. :lol

This was my first big Steam Sale, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Quadrupled the number of Steam games I owned in pretty much one shot! And to the guy who was complaining about how the sale was "all shooters", I just bought 18 games that were on sale with something like 15 of them not being anything close to a FPS. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Galcon Fusion - $2.50
Civ IV Complete: $10
EU Complete + Heir to the Throne: $17
Osmos: $2.50

TOTAL:
$32

Best Purchase: Galcon Fusion BY FAR. I've put in ~20 hours so far, I shit you not. Amazing for $2.50.

Silliest Purchase: Civ IV complete. I already have Civ IV + expansions. Colonization was the only thing I wanted. But it was $7.50 and the whole pack was $10, so I bought the pack to have steam copies :lol

Worst Purchase: EU III. Had the game crash loading the first tutorial. Then crashed on the 2nd. Then crash at the beginning of my first real game. Haven't gone back to it since.

Indifferent to: Osmos. Played it a bit. It's OK... only worth about $2.50 though. Def. not worth it's normal $10 price.

Kipe

GDJustin said:
Galcon Fusion - $2.50

TOTAL:
$32

Best Purchase: Galcon Fusion BY FAR. I've put in ~20 hours so far, I shit you not. Amazing for $2.50.

Silliest Purchase: Civ IV complete. I already have Civ IV + expansions. Colonization was the only thing I wanted. But it was $7.50 and the whole pack was $10, so I bought the pack to have steam copies :lol

Worst Purchase: EU III. Had the game crash loading the first tutorial. Then crashed on the 2nd. Then crash at the beginning of my first real game. Haven't gone back to it since.

Indifferent to: Osmos. Played it a bit. It's OK... only worth about $2.50 though. Def. not worth it's normal $10 price.

EU3 tutorials were broken when I bought the game last year. Paradox probably won't fix it anytime soon. The game itself should work fine. EU3 is one of my favorite games, keep trying.

Question: I bought the Steam version of Indigo Prophecy. The ini edit to change to uncensored version does not work anymore? Did they removed this option from the Steam version? I change the indigo.ini but it did not work, am I doing something wrong?

Wizpig

Guys.
Guys!

Monkey Island SE & Monkey Island 2 SE.

... why aren't these two games on Mac? :'(
I'm pretty sure the first one is also on Mac, but the Steam version is Win only. what gives?
I want to preorder MI 2 and also get the first one for free, but...

Nabs

bionic commando was a lot of fun online. had a room of 4 gaffers, and played for about an hour. if anyone wants to play, just let me know.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
bionic commando was a lot of fun online. had a room of 4 gaffers, and played for about an hour. if anyone wants to play, just let me know.
Also, the reason the game bombed was that they pushed it on the consoles and the game is hard as fuck with a controller. We all hopped in and were moving around quite deftly with M&KB. You feel incredibly powerful using that control method.

19Kilo

luxarific said:
For people who purchased Dawn of War II and DoW II: Chaos Rising: if you register both games at THQ.com, you'll get two free codes for wargear.

You have to redeem the codes via the GFWL client, not on marketplace.xbox.com. You don't need a game key to register.

Didn't know this, thanks!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
19Kilo said:
Didn't know this, thanks!

I probably should post that info in the official thread, since it will probably get lost in this one. I'd finished DoW and CR before I saw that there was free wargear, but I still need to play the game on Primarch and try some co-op. I think I will skip mp, since I will get my ass kicked in seconds. :lol

DoW II and Chaos Rising were probably the highlights of the sale for me. I haven't had that much fun with an RTS since (dare I say it?) Halo Wars. In fact, I had so much fun, I won't be able to wait for a sale for the next DoW expansion (assuming there is one) or for the Space Marine game. I was a complete newbie to the lore and now I'm going through the novels. The TV Tropes page is really spot on - darkest fictional universe ever.

Kudos to Relic for a job well done.

Edgeward

Chiaroscuro said:
Question: I bought the Steam version of Indigo Prophecy. The ini edit to change to uncensored version does not work anymore? Did they removed this option from the Steam version? I change the indigo.ini but it did not work, am I doing something wrong?

Not possible with the steam version.

%wah

My haul, in reverse chronological order of purchase :D

And Yet It Moves
FUEL
Booster Trooper
Bookworm Adventures Deluxe
Machinarium
Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition
King's Bounty: Gold Edition
Birth of America
Cryostasis
Full Pipe
Port Royale 2
Ziro
Fortix
Toki Tori
Samorost 2
Safecracker 2 (NA)
Devil May Cry 4
Day of Defeat: Source
Bionic Commando + Rearmed
Beat Hazard
Max and the Magic Marker
Winterbottom
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Titan Quest Gold
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA)
Shatter
The Void (ND)
Commandos Pack
Europa Universalis III: Complete
Dawn of War II Gold
Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete
Zeno Clash
Hearts of Iron III
HOI 3 - Semper Fi
Left 4 Dead 2
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Resident Evil 5
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Tropico 3: Absolute Power
Age of Booty
Puzzle Indie
Flotilla
Bioshock 2
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
Overlord Complete Pack​

Ledsen

GDJustin said:
Galcon Fusion - $2.50

TOTAL:
$32

The tutorials are notorius for crashing... the normal game isn't so that was just bad luck. Try again.

JoeBoy101

luxarific said:
I probably should post that info in the official thread, since it will probably get lost in this one. I'd finished DoW and CR before I saw that there was free wargear, but I still need to play the game on Primarch and try some co-op. I think I will skip mp, since I will get my ass kicked in seconds. :lol

DoW II and Chaos Rising were probably the highlights of the sale for me. I haven't had that much fun with an RTS since (dare I say it?) Halo Wars. In fact, I had so much fun, I won't be able to wait for a sale for the next DoW expansion (assuming there is one) or for the Space Marine game. I was a complete newbie to the lore and now I'm going through the novels. The TV Tropes page is really spot on - darkest fictional universe ever.

Kudos to Relic for a job well done.

Eisenhorn Omnibus

768 pages of juicy Inquisitor goodness. This set will get you a very detailed work about the lore.

Yaweee

Yeah, the EU3 tutorials crash when loading up a new game or tutorial after one has completed. The game has always been stable for more other than that.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am up to about 107 Steam games. About 90% of them came from Christmas and this weekends sale. Half of those I never would have tried if it wasn't for Steam and the juicey collection pricing.

zoku88

Yaweee said:
Yeah, the EU3 tutorials crash when loading up a new game or tutorial after one has completed. The game has always been stable for more other than that.
Not like it matters, not like the tutorials are any good anyway.

I say, EU is a game that you should really read the manual for.

Top Bottom