• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam security issue revealed personal info to other users on XMas Day (fixed)

Just got my own account when I went to account details!!!

Edit: Deleted my CC.

Edit 2: Now I have someone else's again. So glad I deleted mine!

Tainted

Kind of relieved to see this thread in a way....getting all the issues mentioned in the OP and thought my account was hacked in some way. This is crazy shit

Haunted

I'm relieved I didn't give Steam my phone number or credit card information. Changed my Paypal settings and I don't think there should be anything a user could do even with access to my steam account except try to refund games.

But this is still one of the most colossal security fuckups imaginable and the potential for shenanigans is fucking crazy. What a disaster.

Hi Steam this is a concerned member of your community.

I am concerned that you know what's going on in some form, yet have completely avoided telling people who know something is wrong that something is wrong.

I am concerned that you haven't explained what to do to ease my concerns or what I can possibly do to prevent something bad happening.

I am also concerned that you know something is wrong, say you are fixing it, say to avoid steam websites, yet leave steam servers online for me or anyone else to access.

Love - a concerned citizen

vypek

Decided to log out of steam community since different pages were breaking. Also, every refresh in what was supposed to be my account details lead me to a new account detail to view.

Lautaro

And just when the change of currencies forced me to stop using PayPal and give my credit card data to Valve. Fuck, I'm so mad!

linko9

Wow, this is... a pretty incredible mess-up. I see a different person's account every time I click 'account details' (of two times). Lots of people gonna get screwed over by this.

CoG

Just refreshed and got my account and was able to delete my credit card. I hope someone doesn't steal my fucking iPod earbuds hat.

Let me take this moment to remind everyone that Origin™ is having an epic Winter Sale for all the holidays hottest titles, now with the #1 industry leading account protection!

Geg

I honestly can't remember if I have payment info stored on steam or not. Last time I bought anything was Undertale back in September

Arren

Why don't they shut everything down instantly?

This is evidently becoming worse and worse as seconds pass. It's a blatant breach in security which is compromising an enormous amount of sensitive data, what the hell.

McBryBry

Just got into an account with $20 bucks in his balance. This is insane. How can I get my card off my account without my own account details...

KraytarJ

It even does this on the app. The store page is American, I'm not, and I get some dudes account when trying to get to mine. How does this even happen?

Zomba13

WHY IS THE STORE AND ACCOUNT PAGES AND EVERYTHING STILL UP

This is 100% the kind of thing you hit the big red "shut it down" button and shut it down. This isn't something like when there is a hack and stuff may have been taken and you email and say "change passwords".

This is (seemingly) random people having direct account access to accounts not belonging to them and being able to still use the store to buy shit or change account information. This is exactly the stuff you nuke the servers for to protect the customer.

But nah, we'll leave the servers up. Lots of people would have gotten steam credit today, gotta let them spend it!

Arizato

Guys! If you can, move all your money from the account tied to your Credit Card to another account not tied to anything. That's what I did, at least people cannot buy anymore games using my account.

Cycling through random people's personal account details. This is pretty fucking serious. Hitting delete when I see payment methods but no idea if it's doing anything. It just cycles to a new account.

BRING BACK THE FLASHES AND DAILIES!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm getting PSN 2011 vibes here. Thankfully that incident taught me to never store CC information and to use unique p/w.

vilmer_

I was able to somehow refresh account details into my own and delete my cc from the account. Sure enough after one refresh I'm staring at some other guys account, with full personal information.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Fucking hell just accessed some guys account with $150 on it. If dickheads get hold off accounts like these so many accounts are going to have there money spent

Top Bottom