• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamVR Thread: Virtually a |Thread 2|

Paganmoon

Still think it needs a revision already, besides the price being on the higher end, it really needs a way to quickly connect the 3-in-1 cable to it, incase you've forgotten to charge, or it's running out mid session or anything.

No way I'm spending over $300 on it and I really shouldn't spend more than $250 really. Not with other solutions on the way.

Yeah wireless VR is one of those things I want so badly, but $200 is like the max i'd be willing to spend for it, and even that is pushing it. I get there's an early adopter tax, but i'm not spending what is nearly the price of a new console for a wireless attachment -- doubly so with how much I use the Vive microphone when i'm playing with friends.

Durante

Still not supporting the microphone (according to reports) is a no-go for me.
THe majority of my VR time is in coop games.

derFeef

Still not supporting the microphone (according to reports) is a no-go for me.
THe majority of my VR time is in coop games.

Yeah mic is a must. I would be tempted as well if I would have a dedicated VR room with lot's of space - as right now the cable is the least of my quirks I have playing VR games.

I wish I had a better idea of what the future release schedule will look like. $300 is a lot, and although I don't mind in isolation, if the LG headset comes out in January with better comfort, better tracking, and wireless built in, I'm going to be pretty annoyed that I shelled out $300 for a wireless adapter just a few months ago.

Also, I thought this was supposed to cost $200...?

I wish I had a better idea of what the future release schedule will look like. $300 is a lot, and although I don't mind in isolation, if the LG headset comes out in January with better comfort, better tracking, and wireless built in, I'm going to be pretty annoyed that I shelled out $300 for a wireless adapter just a few months ago.

I think it's highly unlikely wireless will be built in. They've never mentioned it as a possibility and it would likely add too much to the cost at this point. Also if you already have a Vive or Rift, the LG set probably isn't going to be a big enough upgrade to be worth the cost. Still, waiting for reviews on TPcast is the smart thing to do.

Zalusithix

Previously the lack of mic functionality wouldn't have bothered me, but lately I use it to engage / disengage gameplay recording from within VR. I could still get on without the mic and camera, but it'd be a bit annoying at times. That said, I don't have $300 to blow right now on a QoL improvement for the Vive. Especially one that comes with tradeoffs and is locked to this first generation of VR.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To me the mic is a deal breaker. I might be preordering if the mic worked ok. I like to dabble in multiplayer.

I think I'm waiting for the intel one early next year.

Anyone else have the issue where SteamVR keeps starting itself? Any way to fix it? Finding a few threads about it through Google but no solutions.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I doubt it will be wireless. Especially with that price tag.

Durante

Anyone else have the issue where SteamVR keeps starting itself? Any way to fix it? Finding a few threads about it through Google but no solutions.
While browsing the internet with Firefox?

If so, you are visiting a site with broken WebVR. You can disable WebVR support by going to about:config and setting dom.vr.enabled to false.

While browsing the internet with Firefox?

If so, you are visiting a site with broken WebVR. You can disable WebVR support by going to about:config and setting dom.vr.enabled to false.

No I use Chrome. Also it usually happens while I'm away from the computer so I don't think it's WebVR browsing.

Ever since the Vive went on sale I've been meaning to hit that buy button, but in my current apartment I don't have much space (not willing to move the desktop to another, bigger room) and would probably have to settle for a standing experience for now. Is it worth it if I can't use room scale?

Plasmid

Haven't touched VR since PUBG came out, even before then i didn't get much time in since christmas.

Sad honestly, i wish i had more drive to replay games but really onward is all i'll go back to right now. My GTX 970 is having frame drops in VR now too :(

Shoyz

Ever since the Vive went on sale I've been meaning to hit that buy button, but in my current apartment I don't have much space (not willing to move the desktop to another, bigger room) and would probably have to settle for a standing experience for now. Is it worth it if I can't use room scale?

99% of my Vive time is invested in Soundboxing, which is a standing game (though you'd want enough room to lean in either direction, with arms outstretched). Insanely fun game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think if you were to buy it and try out standing mode it wouldn't be long until you'd get inspired to move some stuff around and try room scale.

Well, just ordered one. Having a friend with one so we can play some co-op, online games, kinda helped with the final push.

Anyway, is it best to connect my monitor to a displayport so I can have the graphics hdmi free for the Vive or leave it connected through hdmi and connect the Vive to a displayport (my GTX 1070 only has one hdmi port)? Any problems through displayport?

Zalusithix

Well, just ordered one. Having a friend with one so we can play some co-op, online games, kinda helped with the final push.

Anyway, is it best to connect my monitor to a displayport so I can have the graphics hdmi free for the Vive or leave it connected through hdmi and connect the Vive to a displayport (my GTX 1070 only has one hdmi port)? Any problems through displayport?

Either should technically work, but you'll probably be better off using the monitor over DP, and using the HDMI for the Vive. Less chance of compatibility issues.

Kickz

Hey recently got this Vive when the price cut came down, I have a GTX 970 and am thinking of upgrading it. Would a GTX 1070 / 1080/1080ti be best for VR?

Forexample, is 1080/ti both overkill if you are just doing VR and not doing any 4K gaming?

Hey recently got this Vive when the price cut came down, I have a GTX 970 and am thinking of upgrading it. Would a GTX 1070 / 1080/1080ti be best for VR?

Forexample, is 1080/ti both overkill if you are just doing VR and not doing any 4K gaming?

No graphics card is overkill for VR. That said, I have a 980ti and can usually super sample a bit so you can get away with lower specs.

Kickz

No graphics card is overkill for VR. That said, I have a 980ti and can usually super sample a bit so you can get away with lower specs.

Ok cool, I will probably pull the trigger on a 1080 then.

Any VR games you think are the most polished to try out as a newbie this weekend?

I have tried a few from a friends Steam VR like pirate shooter.

MaDKaT

If you can get the 1080, I would go with that. It allows at least some level or SS and honestly the more you can do the better. If you can afford the Ti, do that but I think a regular 1080 is a better value right now.

I currently have a 1080 (OC'd) and I would like more. Ti seems to have good performance and I am pretty tempted to upgrade but Im trying to hold out for the next gen of cards next year.

Kickz

If you can get the 1080, I would go with that. It allows at least some level or SS and honestly the more you can do the better. If you can afford the Ti, do that but I think a regular 1080 is a better value right now.

Cool thanks, gonna go with that since it recently got priced down

Lakuza

Ok cool, I will probably pull the trigger on a 1080 then.

Any VR games you think are the most polished to try out as a newbie this weekend?

I have tried a few from a friends Steam VR like pirate shooter.

Definately echo what SimplexPL suggested with superhot VR. Extemely polished and fun.

Robo Recall is great too (i have no idea how well it works on vive, hopefully some one who has tried it can offer an opinion on tips for that).

Audioshield is a great pick up and play game. Just select any music off your pc and punch the beats (also has youtube support too). I also recommend sound boxing but its not as polished as audioshield even if it is more fun.

All 3 of these games dont have an artifical movement so in case you get sick easy, you'll be standing and walking around physically (and teleporting in roco recalls case) for the entire game.

MaDKaT

Definately echo what SimplexPL suggested with superhot VR. Extemely polished and fun.

Robo Recall is great too (i have no idea how well it works on vive, hopefully some one who has tried it can offer an opinion on tips for that).

Audioshield is a great pick up and play game. Just select any music off your pc and punch the beats (also has youtube support too). I also recommend sound boxing but its not as polished as audioshield even if it is more fun.

All 3 of these games dont have an artifical movement so in case you get sick easy, you'll be standing and walking around physically (and teleporting in roco recalls case) for the entire game.

Works great with Revive. Granted I noticed some hitching with my 1080 that was related to drivers. Rolled back to an older version (May??) and smooth as glass.

Dremorak

Banned
Works great with Revive. Granted I noticed some hitching with my 1080 that was related to drivers. Rolled back to an older version (May??) and smooth as glass.

I've had 0 issues using roborevive, its a tweaked setup of revive specifically for robo recall. It works great :D

I've got to say, I'm pretty bummed to learn that current software will need to be updated by the original devs in order to take advantage of headsets with a larger FOV. I'd really thought that the games I've been buying were going to be more future proof than that.

SimplexPL

I've got to say, I'm pretty bummed to learn that current software will need to be updated by the original devs in order to take advantage of headsets with a larger FOV. I'd really thought that the games I've been buying were going to be more future proof than that.

Is it 100% confirmed that all software will have to be updated?

Feep

Banned
XING: The Land Beyond released today. I helped work on the game for a few months and it's a really significant VR experience, six or more hours long, with some beautiful environments and challenging puzzles. I RECOMMEND IT IN A VERY SELFISH KIND OF WAY but seriously it's real good.

I'd make a thread but I caaaaan't. ^^ Enjoy it, though!

Paganmoon

XING: The Land Beyond released today. I helped work on the game for a few months and it's a really significant VR experience, six or more hours long, with some beautiful environments and challenging puzzles. I RECOMMEND IT IN A VERY SELFISH KIND OF WAY but seriously it's real good.

I'd make a thread but I caaaaan't. ^^ Enjoy it, though!

Will check it out when I get home, I'm not much for artificial locomotion, but will test it out.

derFeef

The Audio Strap is good. It's not revolutionary but it basically repalces the other strap for sure - they should make that standard. It's just so much better putting it up on your head without hastle, have audio integrated and having it sit nicer on your head. I don't feel like the amount of pressure on the cheekbones/nose bridge anymore. Good stuff.

SimplexPL

Thanks to the ratchet wheel it's even better than Rift's strap.

Also big update to SteamVR Home Beta:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/3226123934865148105

093550779914d1aec29f69ef429bb7f4324a6bd3.jpg

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/250820/announcements/september_update/screenshot.webm?v=1

Trophies
Players can now bring Trophies that represent games from their SteamVR Library into SteamVR Home. These Trophies will upgrade as the player completes achievements and crafts badges for the game. In addition, they give players access to game details and a quick way to launch the game. Players can use these as physical shortcuts, decorate their space and show off their progress in their favorite VR games.

Screenshots and Artwork
Players can now place screenshots and artwork from their favorite games in-world. These can be images the player has uploaded, or popular content from the community. These panels can be spawned from the Things menu in the Content Browser, or from the Community Wall in the default SteamVR Home environment. To adjust the location of a screenshot or art panel, grab the edge with the trigger button. To remove them, use the Multi-Tool.

SteamVR Panels
Players can now place the SteamVR panels (Recent Apps, Friends List, and Rooms List) in any location, and in any environment. This means any environment can be made into a home space with quick access to friends, rooms, and games. Similar to screenshots and artwork, these panels can be spawned from the Things menu in the Content Browser, moved by grabbing the edge, and removed with the Multi-Tool.

Boxing Ring
For this update we've created a new SteamVR Home environment to subscribe to and explore. Visit the Boxing Ring and train on punching bags, lift weights, or compete with the training bot in the ring. See how quickly you can take the training bot down!

Other Updates
In addition to the new features above, we've added a slew of new furniture and increased the visual fidelity of existing props, tools, and furniture. Customizing your home space will be even easier now, as we've improved the way props and furniture are positioned and placed in-world.

Compsiox

Banned
It's disappointing that a thread dedicated to an ecosystem is less popular than a thread about a headset in that ecosystem.

Maybe there's less to post about than when the Vive thread was around? Idk.

derFeef

It's disappointing that a thread dedicated to an ecosystem is less popular than a thread about a headset in that ecosystem.

Maybe there's less to post about than when the Vive thread was around? Idk.

Maybe it would be better if this would be the Steam VR + HTC Vive thread, but that also makes less sense since Steam VR is not exclusive to the Vive.

Top Bottom