• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor - GDC 2012 Screens

Amagon

The graphics are so-so bad, but for some reason, the facial expression is pretty damn good like this screenshot right here to be honest.

yyQVo.jpg

jono51

Banned
looks groce in screenshots, but in motion looks like a typical console game. Could be fun though.

glaurung

I just thought the black dude looks like a running joke on every screen. Maybe he's the comic relief of the game.

Wait what? Mechs don't tend to look pretty in mech simulation games. They look utilitarian and tank-like. You need games like Z.O.E for your anime pretty designs.
Fits the setting, at least they are not animud up
For context, I like Mech Warrior and Hawken style mechs as well, but these bother me. I think it's the legs and how far the body sticks out in front from them. I agree though that they fit the setting.

Whatever about the screenshots...the Japanese Youtube vid totally sold me on the concept, but maybe that's because I really love tank combat and this game seems to feel good enough in that regard, along with loads of entertaining trimmings in the form of that comrade trust/distrust system. The scene with the gunner and the canteen was funny enough.

TheMan

i KNEW they were gonna fuck this up and soon as i realized this was kinect only.

poor steel battalion...I should dig up my copy for the OG xbox and have a go at it over spring break next week.

It uses Kinect and the 360 controller. You control the mech using the 360 controller, while you use Kinect to interact with other things in the cockpit. Instead of playing as the mech itself, you're kinda playing as the dude in the cockpit of the mech, so the 360 controller sort of represents the main controls in the cockpit I guess.
Make it backwards compatible with the original Steel Battalion controller, and we'll talk...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The game looks neat to me. I do agree the graphics aren't the greatest and the interactions with your troops seem cheesy, but the bottom line is that the experience looks to be fun and full of immersion, which is what I wanted from a Steel Battalion sequel. The destructoid commentary with the positive control impressions was basically all I needed to hear to be sold on this.

I also would like to point out that the game was built for the Kinect from the get-go, and we knew that from the very first announcement. Anybody complaining about it now might as well be trolling in my book. As for future Kinect titles and the Xbox 720, I hope the controller pad with Kinect integration becomes the norm for hardcore games instead of trying to create these crazy Kinect-only control schemes. The Xbox 720 needs a two-part controller (or something built with Kinect in mind) next generation for me to even consider taking Kinect seriously as a proper way to play games (that isn't a casual experience).

Orgun

Huh the gameplay actually looks alright. Shame it REQUIRES Kinect though, not buying it just to play one game. Althoooough the voice control would be pretty sweet as a gimmick.

relaxor

what?
I think it looks cool.

It's a Steel Battalion game, it's meant to be weird and not graphically oriented. It's about gameplay and I think if they do a reasonably good job on Kinect integration this could be a lot of fun.

If the original SB controller could be involved, well then we'd be really talking. Take my sweet Mech online...oh yeah

just as expected those Kinect gameplays r just mini-games put in around the main gameplay.
pull the guy, grab the drink, grab the grenade etc

...let me get this straight. It's single-player only?

So we're going to have to wait for a Line of Contact equivalent to Heavy Armor?

Black-Box

just as expected those Kinect gameplays r just mini-games put in around the main gameplay.
pull the guy, grab the drink, grab the grenade etc

I think its good, makes you more connected to the story and to me it is a whole lot better than seeing a button appear on screen telling you when to press it

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think it looks fine. They seem to have some neat ideas and this seems like it may be quite good fun.

Wolfe

Haha right on.

I think its good, makes you more connected to the story and to me it is a whole lot better than seeing a button appear on screen telling you when to press it

I totally get this, but for me it definitely doesn't work that way. To me this is just as bad as an on screen button prompt but instead of hitting a button I have to I guess reach up and fist bump my tv? Great yeah Capcom I'm totally immersed now!

Fist bumping my tv...

szaromir

Banned
Whatever about the screenshots...the Japanese Youtube vid totally sold me on the concept, but maybe that's because I really love tank combat and this game seems to feel good enough in that regard, along with loads of entertaining trimmings in the form of that comrade trust/distrust system. The scene with the gunner and the canteen was funny enough.

Yeah, the game has potential to be quite entertaining.

Random thought - first GAF bemoans death of AA games, then whenever one is in production it gets bashed for its graphics.

Lebron

Screens look like ass, that video however made it look pretty interesting.

May not be a proper sequel most wanted, but it sounds like it will be good.

I don't understand the hate, because honestly what we all need is another generic FPS action game right? Uh, no. Yeah there's apparently some fist bumping, but its no less cringe inducing than the lesbian sex with blue aliens in mass effect.

At least they're going for a new level of immersion with the crew and the controls using kinect. Im all for this. I might pick one up for this game.

Also, is that guy leaning on a cactus?

Oh my. Please direct any negativity Star Wars Kinect was met with this way. This one has it coming.

Yeah... except for this game being a complex mech simulation with one of the most complicated control schemes of any console game using Kinect + regular controller.

People dismissing this based on the screens really should look into it a little deeper.

Xun

The desert looks pretty much identical to U3's.

Just at a lower, blurrier res.

I mean obviously they're both deserts, but even so.

I don't have a 360 anymore or a Kinect, but I can't wait to watching a LP of this game on Youtube, the story is so out there/dudebro/Merica Fuck Yeah, that It should be entertaining on those merits alone, at least if the trailer is anything to judge by.

Does look fun though.

jackdoe

This actually looks like it has some good production values for a Kinect exclusive game. I have no idea how it plays though. I imagine fist bumping probably controls fine, but fiddling with air controls with no feedback probably isn't.

golem

I don't have a 360 anymore or a Kinect, but I can't wait to watching a LP of this game on Youtube, the story is so out there/dudebro/Merica Fuck Yeah, that It should be entertaining on those merits alone, at least if the trailer is anything to judge by.

Does look fun though.

Did you see the trailer on Famitsu's page? It looks grim as shit..

Top Bottom