• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEEP Review Thread

Freeman76

STEEP came out a few days ago and reviews are trick(l)ing in slowly, it's not going to set the world on fire but anyone who fancies a winter sports sim might want to have a look.

Some of the big sites are still missing a review, I will edit them in as and when:

Destructoid - 6/10

https://www.destructoid.com/review-steep-403149.phtml

It is, however, those adrenaline-filled moments that are the best Steep has to give. When it can display a real sense of speed and danger, Steep can be engrossing. It's in these times that it feels infinitely replayable, like this reckless catharsis will never grow old. It's these challenges that you don't mind trying again and again because skidding down a cliff face of snowless rocks never ceases to entertain. And, these moments are fantastic reminders of how navigating a half-pipe where it's a struggle to maintain any speed is such a goddamn waste in this game.

Trustedreviews - 3.5/5

http://www.trustedreviews.com/steep-review

Ubisoft Annecy has crafted a gorgeous-looking winter sports game with a strong foundation of exploration, enjoyable gameplay and a feast of events to unlock. What it hasn’t done is create a pathway through that game that will keep you playing through to the end. Despite the variety of events and sports the action and scenery grows repetitive, while some minor issues keep on cropping up. The result is a game that’s close to brilliance, but not quite close enough.

Xboxachievements 78/100

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/steep/review/

The jumping and the tricking aspect of Steep is surprisingly deep when you get used to it. It can be a little daunting at first, as a lot of things come into play really quickly – especially timing that launch off an edge or ramp – but once you’ve got used to the basics, you’ll be Double Cork 1440 Popairing in no time! It’s a case of fairly easy to pick up and play, but a lifetime to master. Well, a few hours at the very least.

Digital Spy - 3.5/5

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/review/a798594/steep-review/

The problem with Steep, however, is that, while you may well love it, that love begins to fade with time. Partly, this comes down to niggling irritations. The 3D map, for a start, is hard to navigate, often making it unnecessarily awkward to find your next event. The rest of the UI isn't much better, turning simple character customisation into a bit of an ordeal.

Game Revolution - 7/10

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/steep

Ubisoft deserves a round of applause for addressing the industry’s severe lack of snow sport games with something bold and ambitious. Steep might suffer from play value issues, but there’s nothing comparable. For the more than 10 million skiers and snowboarders around the world, this is a moment of liberation that should go recognized.

Stevivor - 4.5/10

http://stevivor.com/2016/12/review-steep/

Its sense of speed is incredible and exhilarating and only enhanced by beautiful visuals, from the grand scope of the vast panoramas to the way sunlight reflects off individual snowflakes on the ground. For a game focused on precision and action, though, it gets too many things wrong with the camera often situated right behind the player making you blind to what’s directly ahead of you. That only adds to the frustration caused by the infurating control scheme mentioned above.

God is a Geek - 5.5/10

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/steep-review/

There is some fun to be had in Steep. The crux of the game, the actual snowboarding and skiing, do feel good and are fun to play and there are a whole lot of varied challenges to do in the frosty Alps. But a whole bucket load of bizarre design decisions distract from that. Ubisoft tried to innovate, but instead just over-complicated.

iagZthm.png

Most people seem to like it though

Played the beta and wasn't impressed. No heart whatsoever put into this game from the feel of it. Everything just feels off.

GeeTeeCee

I was looking for an SSX replacement. Sadly, from what I played of the beta, STEEP wouldn't scratch the itch for me the same way The Crew did for Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Phox

Banned
That's not looking pretty, I wonder how many of the base games they will sell and how many season passes.

The people who played the beta didn't say good things about it either.

FingerBang

Kinda what I was expecting after the beta. Unless they dramatically tweaked the controls, the game just isn't fun to play. A lot of good ideas though.

Freeman76

As a huge fan of 1080/Cool Boarders/ESPN Winter X-Games Snowboarding etc I was praying for this to be good. I havent hit the slopes in a few years and really miss the sport. Unfortunately this doesnt look like it would help.

mrlion

I was in the alpha and honestly it was pretty boring...its not really that fun even if it was supposed to be a game where you could relax and see the skies from the mountains.

Diancecht

Bought it on Steam and played it for half an hour and I think I already saw everything that this game has to offer. It feels extemely dull. Thinking about refunding it.

Newboi

How can we get a true sequel to Cool Boarders 2???The one snowboarding game with style outside of SSX Tricky.

Anyway, I'm still very interested in this game, but I'll probably pick it up at a reduced price.

Bedlam

iagZthm.png

Most people seem to like it though
Early user impressions are always tricky. Mediocre games can make a good first impression and only after some time has passed some people are really able to evaluate the product, independent of their purchase decision, the smell of the new and so on.

Fliesen

well, seems like they got the core mechanics right, but the content is lacking.
(on GB UPF Gerstmann said it felt pretty good). Certainly looks pretty dope, but i do feel like it lacks character.

You know ... SSX 1, tricky, 3 kinda character.

Trojan

This game has had the weirdest release. Almost no hype and it's transition from testing to release seemed fast enough that not much feedback was used.

I liked the beta a lot but its definitely not an immediate success in my mind like SSX was back in the day. Hoping it does well though because it is stupid always online and I want to get it on a discount later on.

Best wishes.

haveheart

Banned
Why is no one talking about Infinite Air?

Everything Steep has is graphics. All reviews read the same: Speeding down a mountain is fun, the rest, and the bigger part of gameplay, is rubbish.

EqicDodoO

As a boarder myself i really like this game.
But i also liked stoked on x360 alot.
The trick system in this game is def better though.
The mountains are also huge, it really is fun to explore

collige

Banned
Disappointing. This was my most anticipated game from E3, but I'm not gonna drop full price on something so seemingly mediocre.

Zukkoyaki

May check this out when it's cheaper. I was super pumped for it until it was known that it isn't particularly arcadey. Still feel like I should support this as a new IP with this particular subject matter.

LQX

I had high hopes for this as I was yearning for a new snowboard game but man that PC BETA was terrible. Awkward controls and just so damn lifeless. A lifeless snowboard game is not what people want. Will probably still buy it though once it is heavily discounted.

Freeman76

Early user impressions are always tricky. Mediocre games can make a good first impression and only after some time has passed some people are really able to evaluate the product, independent of their purchase decision, the smell of the new and so on.

TBF a lot of those reviewers have played more than 20 hours which is a good sign

Has there been any AAA from one of the big publishers that the press has given zero fucks about like Steep? even games that did badly battleborn got more reviews than this.

Gator86

Has there been any AAA from one of the big publishers that the press has given zero fucks about like Steep? even games that did badly battleborn got more reviews than this.

Was shocked to see this thread. I didn't even know this was out this year. RIP the snowboarding genre. I miss SSX.

Murmur

Really like the game. It's exactly what I've wanted out of a skiing/snowboarding game: give me a mountain and let me ski it.

Loving the freedom.

I thought it looked mediocre but my friend that lives in the Alps and Ski's really likes it.

I'll probably buy it once the price drops a bit, it does look a bit barebones for £50.

Gurrry

saw those scores coming a mile away. game just doesn't have enough meat on its bones.

Have to say I also saw this coming.

While the landscape is massive and breathtaking, you immidietely feel impaired by the awful controls and the serious tone it takes rather than leaning into a more arcadey styled game.

One of the biggest issues I had was crashing into random geometry that would cause me to lose all momentum constantly. Part of this came from the controls that I didn't find very forgiving, the other part came from the fact that they have random fences and rocks poking out of the mountains. Crashing into these left me feeling frustrated when I just wanted to cruise down the mountain trying to hit big jumps and do flips.

To me it feels like it lands somewhere between a simulator and arcade game, and the mix just leaves you wishing it would've leaned heavily one way or the other.

Z O N E

Not my type of game, but I really wasn't blown away by the BETA.

Honestly enjoyed wing-suit flying more than the skiing and snowboarding...

The text in the reviews reads better than the numerical scores. Game sounds amazing, too bad the scores don't reflect that.

Szadek

The text in the reviews reads better than the numerical scores. Game sounds amazing, too bad the scores don't reflect that.
The scores fit pretty well.
Most of the reviwers seem to agree that the game can be really good, but isn't most of the time.

I picked up Dead Rising 4 and Last Guardian at Best Buy yesterday and damn near got this for my third game in the B2G1F sale. The E3 demo made it look pretty fun, but then nothing really happened. I didn't even know there was a beta. I had it in my cart, but then read some reviews. While it didn't sound terrible, it did sound like I would get bored with it pretty quickly. I decided on Dishonored 2 instead. Maybe I'll pick up Steep when it's cheap!

killroy87

I enjoyed the beta well enough, and ive been craving a game in this genre for a looooong time. That said, I've got about a trillion games to play, so I'll wait for a sale on this guy. I am looking forward to playing it eventually though.

dreamfall

I played a lot of the beta and felt a bit a underwhelmed, but happy that the game existed. I'll probably go in when it gets a price cut - if only to enjoy the calm atmosphere of snowy drifting on the mountains!

Tankshell

Lost of us have been having an awesome time with this game so far over in the OT. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the review scores, especially if you like snowboarding games, you'll probably enjoy this.

Top Bottom