• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate 0 |OT| Another Time Dilemma

13randO

This is a game where I can't play it for very long knowing that if I beat it too fast I'll be bummed that it's over. Never thought that this needed a sequel. I only pray that FLCL 2 and 3 and follow suit. On a side note, I wish there were Hi-res images of the Rine emoji online somewhere; those would make for some sweet avatars.

Talha

Has anyone ordered the limited edition? Am i dreaming when I see the $29.99 shipping fee? I live in Canada so thats like $150 Cad which is crazy expensive is threre any other website the LE is available??

Am I the only one that prefers to play visual novels on the PC/Mac? I'm not sure exactly why, but I prefer playing these with a cocktail, a glowing screen in a dark room, and the click of a mouse.

complaint mode: I was hoping that the first Steins;Gate would be on the Mac by now; after all, we've gotten both Danganronpas. And this one doesn't look like it'll even be on a PC platform anytime soon. So my only option is to buy S;G for PS3 (which is not even hooked up anymore) and somehow find 6gb of space on my 60gb drive. All just to play a VN which I've already watched the anime for.

Has anyone ordered the limited edition? Am i dreaming when I see the $29.99 shipping fee? I live in Canada so thats like $150 Cad which is crazy expensive is threre any other website the LE is available??

Oh you're not dreaming, it actually is that much. That's how much they've been charging for shipping for the last few PQube LEs and they do so because Rice is the only place to get them and they know they can milk the fans for what they're worth, that and Brexit probably didn't help much since they raised shipping soon after it happened.

Talha

Oh you're not dreaming, it actually is that much. That's how much they've been charging for shipping for the last few PQube LEs and they do so because Rice is the only place to get them and they know they can milk the fans for what they're worth, that and Brexit probably didn't help much since they raised shipping soon after it happened.
My goodness I really wanted that limited edition guess I cant afford it, the main reason i wanted it was the sound track was going to be included :(

Pedersen

Really, really looking forward to getting my copy sometime next week with these fantastic impressions. Visual novels are the only types of games I can play for hours and hours in one sitting nowadays. Trying to finish the anime now since it's been half a year since I played the game and some details are a bit hazy. It's so fun seeing every character in motion. Daru seemed a lot bigger in the game:O

Am I the only one that prefers to play visual novels on the PC/Mac? I'm not sure exactly why, but I prefer playing these with a cocktail, a glowing screen in a dark room, and the click of a mouse.

complaint mode: I was hoping that the first Steins;Gate would be on the Mac by now; after all, we've gotten both Danganronpas. And this one doesn't look like it'll even be on a PC platform anytime soon. So my only option is to buy S;G for PS3 (which is not even hooked up anymore) and somehow find 6gb of space on my 60gb drive. All just to play a VN which I've already watched the anime for.

You can't be the only one, PC is the home of visual novels in general.

Amazon UK screwed up my order, saying delivery between 29th November to 23rd December goddammit. Guess I'm buying it digitally then.

Same. SAME.

This has soured me on Amazon. Anyone else have any issues with Amazon UK on their order?

Guess I'll play more Pokemon for the time being.

Anoxida

Quick question:
How much does Rintaros friends in the beta line know? I'm kinda confused as to how much they understand about Rintaro's and their own situation. Maybe playing the game will shed some light on this?

Shizuka

I just finished my review and the score was 7/10.

My biggest complaints were the localization (unlocalized text, bad writing, etc), the use of both new and old arts on the same game (which are almost completely different in style) and the true ending
not really explaining anything and leaving everything unanswered.

By the way, this comes from someone who gave 10/10 for Steins;Gate last year.

Quick question:
How much does Rintaros friends in the beta line know? I'm kinda confused as to how much they understand about Rintaro's and their own situation. Maybe playing the game will shed some light on this?

How much? Daru, Suzuha and Faris knows what Okabe had to do and that he wasn't able to change the world line when he went to the past with Suzuha.

My biggest complaints were the localization (unlocalized text, bad writing, etc), the use of both new and old arts on the same game (which are almost completely different in style) and the true ending

Does the ending not resolve anything because it's
leaving room for another sequelish game? I heard someone describe the ending as being a cliffhanger/sequel bait. Is that right?

Shizuka

Does the ending not resolve anything because it's
leaving room for another sequelish game? I heard someone describe the ending as being a cliffhanger/sequel bait. Is that right?

The true ending is the dictionary definition of sequel bait. It's disgusting how clear the ending was developed to make sure there'll be another entry in the future.

The true ending is the dictionary definition of sequel bait. It's disgusting how clear the ending was developed to make sure there'll be another entry in the future.
Bleugh. That blows.

I mean I'm kind of glad to know that
there will probably be another game, but you've got to resolve your stories properly.

Shizuka

Bleugh. That blows.

I mean I'm kind of glad to know that
there will probably be another game, but you've got to resolve your stories properly.

Coming from such a clear cut ending that wraps everything up nicely to a mess that leaves several questions unanswered is disheartening, at the very least. I'm surprised at how many positive reviews this game is getting, myself.

Coming from such a clear cut ending that wraps everything up nicely to a mess that leaves several questions unanswered is disheartening, at the very least. I'm surprised at how many positive reviews this game is getting, myself.
It took Reading Steiner several months after playing the game to realize how everything tied together, which took his personal rating from 9/10 to 10/10.

I just asked him about the "sequel bait" and he says that if you're talking about Operation Altair, you're missing the point entirely.

Shizuka

It took Reading Steiner several months after playing the game to realize how everything tied together, which took his personal rating from 9/10 to 10/10.

I just asked him about the "sequel bait" and he says that if you're talking about Operation Altair, you're missing the point entirely.

There are several unanswered questions in the game.
Here are a few:

Who is Kagari?

Why is she so similar to Kurisu?

Where did Mayuri and Suzuha go after "getting lost" going back to the past?

Did they reach Steins;Gate?

Who was the jacket woman on the "Rinascimento" world line?

Who am I to go against what Reading Steiner said, but to me, anyone saying that the game is self-contained and answers everything itself, that you just need to think harder, is just delusional. That sounds like someone knew the answers weren't coming anytime soon and made up a narrative on their head themselves.

Well I'm not touching those spoilers with a 10-foot pole since I haven't played the game yet haha, but I directed Steiner to your Twitter since he doesn't have a GAF account.

There are several unanswered questions in the game.
Here are a few:

Who is Kagari?

Why is she so similar to Kurisu?
I figured this issue was going to be a red herring actually based on her appearance. I don't mind the spoilers, so is there something else in her backstory or character that hints at a deeper reasoning?

Shizuka

I figured this issue was going to be a red herring actually based on her appearance. I don't mind the spoilers, so is there something else in her backstory or character that hints at a deeper reasoning?

She's a time traveler like Suzuha. Her appearance would suggest she's related to Kurisu, but it's never clarified in the game.

She's a time traveler like Suzuha. Her appearance would suggest she's related to Kurisu, but it's never clarified in the game.
Hm. That's what I figured. Let's say she's not related to her though and it was a red herring. How would you ever prove that negative?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Real cute thread title.
e4Kg6bv.gif

Zero Time Dilemma doesn't deserve the hate it gets on this site, it reviewed really well and will likely end up my portable GOTY 2016 when the year ends. Great game with a solid cast (especially Phi, Carlos and Sigma), good puzzles/mysteries, amazing music and altogether a pretty solid end to a hard-to-wrap-up (and incredible) series.

Steins;Gate was quite good too (though I prefer ZTD). The story ended perfectly and Steins;Gate 0 has always felt like an unnecessary sequel since I first heard about it, plus I'd have to get it online as it isn't available locally in Canada and not sure if it's worth the trouble. Now I'm reading here that unlike the original, it even ends in a sequel baiting manner? I don't know man...

The one thing I hated about Steins;Gate though was the whole phone call/email system in order to get to the true ending. After I reached one of the endings myself, I had to follow a walk through to see all the other endings which I've never had to do with any other game. There is literally no way I can imagine someone reaching the true ending with all the specific replies and calls needing to be made (or even ignored) at certain times which seem randomly placed and impossible to guess correctly without reaching for a guide.

Is this terrible gimmick back in Steins;Gate 0?

Real cute thread title.
e4Kg6bv.gif

Zero Time Dilemma doesn't deserve the hate it gets on this site, it reviewed really well and will likely end up my portable GOTY 2016 when the year ends. Great game with a solid cast (especially Phi, Carlos and Sigma), good puzzles/mysteries, amazing music and altogether a pretty solid end to a hard-to-wrap-up (and incredible) series.

Steins;Gate was quite good too (though I prefer ZTD). The story ended perfectly and Steins;Gate 0 has always felt like an unnecessary sequel since I first heard about it, plus I'd have to get it online as it isn't available locally in Canada and not sure if it's worth the trouble. Now I'm reading here that unlike the original, it even ends in a sequel baiting manner? I don't know man...

The one thing I hated about Steins;Gate though was the whole phone call/email system in order to get to the true ending. After I reached one of the endings myself, I had to follow a walk through to see all the other endings which I've never had to do with any other game. There is literally no way I can imagine someone reaching the true ending with all the specific replies and calls needing to be made (or even ignored) at certain times which seem randomly placed and impossible to guess correctly without reaching for a guide.

It's in the OP. The true ending is significantly easier to get. There's only
six
endings, and they're pretty obvious.

PS: ZTD is trash, and the reviews are reminder #351 of how reviewers can get it wrong.

VideoGamesPlus has free shipping for Steins;Gate 0 (and it's technically "local" to Canada), so it's not really much trouble.

I've heard differing opinions on the sequel bait (as in, some people say there is no sequel bait, while others say there is) and I can't wait to make a judgement for myself. My personal theory is that the perceived "sequel" is in fact Steins;Gate itself, which would make sense.

Copper

Real cute thread title.
e4Kg6bv.gif

Steins;Gate 0 is a perfect example of how you do a sequel. The way that it continues the story is done really well and it fits. It also fills you in on details of past events that are referred to in the first game. If you have any interest at all in the Steins;Gate universe I highly recommend it. Steins;Gate is one of those unique stories where you can view the first part and have a concluded story. Or make a slight change at the end and open up a whole new narrative that expands on the Steins;Gate world. I'd say play it if you want the full "Steins;Gate" experience. There is no sequel bait here. Mostly because of how well it fits.

I'm not quite finished with it yet but the decision points that I have found in the game so far seem pretty obvious.

Stuart444

does anyone know how to get the read and ignore a message trophy?

It doesn't seem to work

Read a Rine. Don't reply to it and complete the game with any ending.

Anyway I've completed it (with platinum) yesterday at 42 hours and I don't think there is a sequel bait myself. On my phone at so I'll expand my thoughts later on but needless to say I loved this game and I've only watched the original anime.

LordPusha

Literally every ad I've been getting was about Steins;Gate. I'm hyped and I'm getting the game, but do you think that YouTube knows that I like SG ? Is this some CERN bullshit?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
25% CG's unlocked. Doesnt feel good when a trophy comes up that tells you you're a quarter way through the game and the story hasn't really gone anywhere yet.

But the first Steins Gate also had the problem of taking a good while before it got going so we'll see.

Similar boat they've told me its been delayed again saying I should expect it on the 29th November ugh.

I tried to get any more information from them and they gave me nothing but textbook "we'll ship it to you as soon as we can".
I've just cancelled it and ordered from someone else on the marketplace. I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon I guess but this is ridiculous.

Mendrox

Literally every ad I've been getting was about Steins;Gate. I'm hyped and I'm getting the game, but do you think that YouTube knows that I like SG ? Is this some CERN bullshit?

You go to this topic. Maybe you have an app that listens all the time (yes that exists) and you googled about the game, gmail has seen emails with Steins;Gate in it etc. ---> you get advertisment cartered to this

Jimrpg

How much? Daru, Suzuha and Faris knows what Okabe had to do and that he wasn't able to change the world line when he went to the past with Suzuha.

Yikes. I'm going to lower my expectations a little then. The pre hype seemed as though 0 was going to be better than the original.

Do you have a vita? That's how I prefer to play VNs. Laptops and a couch are a good way to play VNs but sitting at a desktop isn't as comfortable for me.

Do you have a vita? That's how I prefer to play VNs. Laptops and a couch are a good way to play VNs but sitting at a desktop isn't as comfortable for me.

Laptops are definitely the superior way to play VNs (which makes sense, as the PC platform is the home of the genre).

Vita is okay as a substitute.

Fowler

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but...

Is there a cross-save for it between Vita and PS4?

Want the PS4 version, but just found out I'm going on a short trip and this would be ideal.

ys45

Anyone else ordered from Rice digital ?
I pre-ordered the collector for Vita and it's still at processing since last Thursday .

My first time ordering from them so i'M not sure if its normal .

Top Bottom