• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEINS;GATE |OT| El. Psy. Congroo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

pnr74YF.png

xxlgqa7.jpg

I'm hoping for this to become a community thread for fans of anything STEINS;GATE. I'm a huge fan of the franchise myself and throughout my exploits around this forum I've bumped into various fans of the series in various different places, but there's not one place where we can all come together and discuss what I think is quite possibly one of the best franchises ever created. After watching the anime I played the first game and it soon skyrocketed into being one of my favourite games ever made and since then I've stuck with the series no matter what's released. Now there's a lot of things to discuss and I understand quite a bit of it hasn't been translated into English yet, but I'll try and go into detail without spoiling anything!

IfKoIqv.png

Steins;Gate follows a group of friends, all linked by one place. Set above Mr. Braun's electrical store the Future Gadget Lab (未来ガジェット研究部) is a lab set up by Okabe Rintarou (岡部倫太郎) and his friend Hashida Itaru (橋田至) or Daru for short. The lab initially gains more members as the series progresses for reasons I can't give without spoiling anything, but anyone who's either watched the anime or played the games will know why. The story involves various scientific based events as well as lots of time travel while still maintaining an adventure in amongst itself of the various characters all interacting with one another. Let's get started shall we.

iQxRjrt.png

cybEe3E.png

Lab Member 001 - Okabe Rintarou (岡部倫太郎) voiced by Mamoru Miyano (宮野 真守)

Birthday: 1991/12/14
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 177cm/59kg/A
Liked things: Doctor Pepper
Other identity: Hououin Kyouma (鳳凰院凶真)
Nicknames: Hououin Kyouma, Okarin

Lab Member 002 - Shiina Mayuri (椎名まゆり) voiced by Hanazawa Kana (花澤香菜)

Birthday:1994/2/1
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 152cm/45kg/O
Threesize: 85/56/82
Occupation: Works part time at Mary Queen Nyan Nyan (Maid Cafe)
Nicknames: Mayushii (まゆしぃ), Mayushii-nyannyan(まゆしぃにゃんにゃん)

Lab Member 003 - Hashida Itaru (橋田至) voiced by Seki Tomokazu (関 智一)

Birthday: 1991/5/19
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 164cm/98kg/B
Nicknames: Super Hacker(スーパーハカー), Hentai(変態), Hentai soldier(変態戦士), Daru(ダル)

Lab Member 004 - Makise Kurisu (牧瀬 紅莉栖) voiced by Asami Imai (麻美今井)

Birthday: 1992/7/25
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 160cm/45kg/A
Threesize: 79/56/83
Nicknames: Christina(クリスティーナ), Experiment loving hentai(実験大好きな変態), Celeb Seventeen(セレブセヴェンティーン\セレセブ)

Lab Member 005 - Kiryuu Moeka (桐生萌郁) voiced by Saori Gatou (後藤 沙緒里)

Birthday: 1990/6/6
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 167cm/54kg/b
Threesize: 88/59/88
Nicknames: Shining Finger (シャイニングフィンガー)

Lab Member 006 - Urishibara Ruka (漆原 るか) voiced by Kobayashi Yuu (小林 ゆう)

Birthday: 1993/8/30
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 161cm/44kg/A
Threesize: 73/60/77
Nicknames: Rukako (るか子)

Lab Member 007 - Faris Nyan Nyan (フェイリス・ニャンニャン)/Akiha Rumiho (秋葉 留未穂) voiced by Mamoi Haruko (桃井 はるこ)

Birthday: 1993/4/3
Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 143cm/43kg/AB
Threesize: 80/54/77

Lab Member 008 - Amane Suzuha (阿万音 鈴羽 ) voiced by Tamura Yukari (田村 ゆかり)

Height/Weight/Bloodtype: 163cm/51kg/O
Threesize: 80/59/86
Nicknames: Part-time Warrior(バイト戦士)

TeC77y3.png

jyTKSqb.png

STEINS;GATE - The main entry to the series, the first place to go if you either finish the anime or want to start a fresh, will be coming out in English soon.

Platforms: PC, 360/PS3/PSP/Vita (In Japan)
Themes:

PC OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neHSqUDlRwI
360 OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDx-Ho3UIrM
PS3 OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobEbg35VvM
PSP OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5SPVKF_30

ENGLISH PREORDER SITE: http://www.jastusa.com/shop/nitroplus.html

35rs0qF.png

STEINS;GATE Hiyoku Renri no Darlin (比翼恋理のダーリン) - The first spinoff set inside the Delta worldline. Includes lots of funny interaction between all the characters and adds more dating sim style endings for each of the heroins.

Platforms: 360/PS3/PSP(In Japan)
Themes:

360 OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dZ8JoYuXQ
PS3/PSP OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gcavJ4ub3E

BszPuwb.png

STEINS;GATE Hen'i Kuukan no Octet (変移空間のオクテット) - A non cannon game following the true end of the first game set in an entirely 8-bit style.

Platforms - PC
Themes:

OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iVkTECSbqI

bM8Ulb0.png

STEINS;GATE Senkei Kousoku no Phenogram (線形拘束のフェノグラム) - Set during the first game you follow the lives and experiences of the other characters in the universe as they watch the situation unfold infront of them.

Platforms - 360/PS3/Vita
Themes:

360/PS3 OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bR2b0o8qI
Vita OP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCvYIvcuYoI

2sqsQPU.png

jyTKSqb.png

STEINS:GATE - An anime release of the first Steins;Gate game following Okabe's route through to the true end of the game. Missing out on the other endings and lacking a little explanation this can be a perfect introduction to the series as it's been fully fansubbed at this point. It starts off relatively slow, but picks up by the mid point and it's a rollercoaster all the way to the end.

STEINS;GATE OVA - Set after the first series of the anime it portrays the time in which Kurisu invited the other lab members to visit her in America. Don't watch this until you've seen the first series.

Themes:

OP1 - Hacking to the Gate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEGb4MPV6I
OPv2 (Episode 23/24) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b1rKpMg9Ks

uEPCzs7.jpg

STEINS;GATE Fuka Ryouiki no Dejavu (負荷領域のデジャブ) - The film released last year is set as a follow up to the fantastic story portrayed in the first game and also the anime. I won't go into any detail, just watch it damnit, it's incredible if you're a fan.

ip4OABD.png

Now I'm not going to list all the books here since there's a lot, but there's a main cannonical series of three books released last year that are definately worth checking out if you like the series and can speak Japanese. I'm not sure if they've been translated yet, but I hope they do get soon as they're awesome.

I'll post some more info about them in a bit, but I've been working on this for two hours and I want to get it posted!

o0WmwNR.png

I'll list some of the best here, but there's many more

Nendoroids:

Shiina Mayuri

Makise Kurisu

Faris Nyan Nyan

Figma:

Makise Kurisu

Okarin

There's also some excellent scale figures but most are unavaliable now due to either time or sellouts since they're so popular.

El. Psy. Congroo.

Since the game's coming out soon (Feb 28), are we just going to use this as the official thread or will we be creating something in the gaming section oo?

Einbroch

Banned
Since the game's coming out soon (Feb 28), are we just going to use this as the official thread or will we be creating something in the gaming section oo?

New thread. This is the community thread like the Persona, Tales, Final Fantasy, etc thread.

StayDead

My plan was initially to get hold of a Community thread for Steins;Gate fans after PMing a mod they told me to shove an OT in off topic but I unwillingly in my 2 hour session of putting it together after everything forgot to put community in the title. I was just looking for a place for Steins;Gate fans to be able to discuss the franchise since I've met so many in so many different threads.

StayDead

I'm not sure if anyone else has watched Dejavu yet but I sat and watched it this morning. To say I loved it would be an understatement but it's entirely possible my blind fandom sheltered me from any bad bits. Either way if you've seen the show and you want to reach the next step while being unable to play the games (English release soon hopefully!) then give the movie a watch.

Amon37

Just started watching the anime, and while its the usual type I watch I find the main guys persona ridiculously funny so I keep watching it.

Holy sh*t, OP! I was just watching the series on Blu-ray less than thirty minutes ago on my big HDTV. Now THAT is uncanny.

I just finished episode 8. Really digging this series. Keeps me alert and has gotten me interested in the divergence theory, as well as different fields of physics.

I hope Funimation licenses the movie and releases it... their dub of the show is INCREDIBLY good. Smart, rich, and hilarious script. Super voice acting work on all accounts so far.

According to Wikipedia, for those of you who are not in the know, yes, this is somewhat of a franchise. Three different manga series, several games (new one just came out in Japan, and the first one apparently is getting released soon here Stateside), the anime series and anime film, etc.

In case the OP wants to add a manga section to his/her post:

"On September 26, 2009, a manga adaptation by Sarachi Yomi began serialization in Media Factory's Monthly Comic Alive's November 2009 issue.[72] Although the manga was released before the visual novel, the story is inspired from the game.

Four side-story manga series are currently being serialised. Steins;Gate: Bōkan no Rebellion (STEINS;GATE 亡環のリベリオン Shutainzu Gēto Bōkan no Reberion?, "Steins;Gate: Death Ring Rebellion"), illustrated by Kenji Mizuta, began serialization in Mag Garden's Monthly Comic Blade's February 2010 issue.[70] The manga focuses on Suzuha Amane as it tells the events of the story from her point of view. Steins;Gate: Onshū no Braunian Motion (STEINS;GATE 恩讐のブラウニアンモーション Shutainzu Gēto Onshū no Buraunian Mōshon?, "Steins;Gate: Love/Hate Braunian Motion), illustrated by Takeshi Mizoguchi, began serialization in Famitsu's Comic Clear web magazine and it takes the point of view of Yūgo Tennōji.[73] Steins;Gate: Shijō Saikyō no Slight Fever (STEINS;GATE 史上最強のスライトフィーバー Shutainzu Gēto Shijō Saikyō no Suraito Fībā?, "Steins;Gate: The World's Strongest Slight Fever"), illustrated by Yuzuhana Morita, began serialization in Kadokawa Shoten's Comptiq's February 2011 issue and was transferred to Monthly Shōnen Ace in its October 2011 issue. The manga focuses on main heroine Kurisu Makise as the events are told from her point of view. Another manga, titled Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Sweets Honey (STEINS;GATE 比翼恋理のスイーツはにー Shutainzu Gēto Hiyoku Renri no Suītsu Hanī?) started serializing on Comic Blade in its August 2011 issue. It follows the events told in the fandisc. A manga adaptation of the drama CD, Steins;Gate: Aishin Meizu no Babel (STEINS;GATE 哀心迷図のバベル Shutainzu Gēto Aishin Meizu no Baberu?), also told from Kurisu's perspective, is being illustrated by Shinichirou Nariie and will begin serialisation in Shueisha's Ultra Jump magazine from May 15, 2012.[74]

A spinoff comedy manga, titled Steins;Gate! (しゅたいんず・げーと?), was illustrated by Nini and serialized in Media Factory's Monthly Comic Alive's March 2011 issue.

A book containing information and designs of Steins;Gate was published by Enterbrain on February 26, 2010"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steins;Gate#Manga

Marche90

Excelente OP! Also, subbed. We needed a thread on this.

So many things I want to read, zero Japanese knowledge... :(

seriously. this might be one of the best dubs ever.

Yes! And again, I emphasize, not JUST the voice work and the believability, but the SCRIPT is downright hysterical and beautifully eloquent. I don't think I've ever had a show that treated me the exact OPPOSITE of an infant like this one has. I love it.

"Put them back, lard silo." - not eloquent, but probably my favorite line, lol

kiryogi

Banned
I just rewatched this as I got the blurays for Christmas. Still as good as it was in 2011. One of my top of all time. I mean moments like Kurisu making Relativity sound so romantic is sexy. Ahem.

Maybe I should rewatch this dubbed.

FluxWaveZ

Got 10 episodes or so into the anime before I realized the game came first, so I stopped and am now looking forward to being able to play the localized version. Anime started off slow, but I quit when things seemed to be getting interesting.

gosox333

Got 10 episodes or so into the anime before I realized the game came first, so I stopped and am now looking forward to being able to play the localized version. Anime started off slow, but I quit when things seemed to be getting interesting.

Ohhh dude you quit right before the main story got going.

Actually it was probably the perfect place to stop if you're gonna pick back up through the game.

I watched the anime back when it was airing. It was pretty good but I felt that the ending was pretty rushed. I guess that's what happens when you try to tie up all the loose ends in 22 minutes.

How does this Steins;Gate compare to Chaos;Head and Robotic;Notes?

Sallokin

One of my favorite series ever. When I first moved to Japan, one of the first things I did was win a Makise Kurisu figure from a UFO Catcher =)

Was in Bic camera yesterday morning and noticed that there are two Kurisu figmas the lab coat one and one without the lab coat. I believe one is the movie version and one is the series version. I'll throw up some pics if I get a chance to grab them before they sell out.

OP, when you finish the books section will you include artbooks etc?

StayDead

One of my favorite series ever. When I first moved to Japan, one of the first things I did was win a Makise Kurisu figure from a UFO Catcher =)

Was in Bic camera yesterday morning and noticed that there are two Kurisu figmas the lab coat one and one without the lab coat. I believe one is the movie version and one is the series version. I'll throw up some pics if I get a chance to grab them before they sell out.

OP, when you finish the books section will you include artbooks etc?

I'm looking to hopefully get as much information in as possible but I've been struck by a horrible cold that seems to be hitting everyone where I am locally so I'll get to work on it again when I feel a bit better.

Is the figure you're talking about by any chance this one? http://myfigurecollection.net/item/78589

fertygo

The slower part with just the cast interacting actually are my favorite, yeah the OMG twist part is cool.. but the character interaction that made me finish the game/anime.

Sallokin

I'm looking to hopefully get as much information in as possible but I've been struck by a horrible cold that seems to be hitting everyone where I am locally so I'll get to work on it again when I feel a bit better.

Is the figure you're talking about by any chance this one? http://myfigurecollection.net/item/78589

The one from the UFO Catcher? It's this one http://myfigurecollection.net/item/135169. It's definitely one of the more easily obtainable ones in figure shops around Akiba. It's maybe 2000 yen. When I head over to Bic next time I'll snap some pics of the 7200 yen one they have. I don't remember the manufacturer of it off the top of my head but it's a really nice one.

If you're asking about the different Figmas the non-lab coat is products number 98, lab coat is 195.

EDIT: Also, feel better soon! Great OP.

Celegus

Awesome anime, would love to check out the game when it comes out here. I have a terrible memory when it comes to remembering game/book/TV show storylines (which should make the game more fun), but
Okabe repeatedly trying and failing to save Mayuri was one of the best sequences I've ever seen, definitely won't be forgetting that.

daveo42

Banned
Awesome anime, would love to check out the game when it comes out here. I have a terrible memory when it comes to remembering game/book/TV show storylines (which should make the game more fun), but
Okabe repeatedly trying and failing to save Mayuri was one of the best sequences I've ever seen, definitely won't be forgetting that.

I just got chills. The show really opened up right around that point and it went from being a pretty great show to a fantastic one. I might have to watch it again to prep for the western release of the game. Wish they'd release more stuff from the series state-side.

StayDead

I just got chills. The show really opened up right around that point and it went from being a pretty great show to a fantastic one. I might have to watch it again to prep for the western release of the game. Wish they'd release more stuff from the series state-side.

Well the best thing you can hope for is that the translated version sells well and I really hope it does. It's such an amazing game/visual novel and more and more people really should be able to experience it. I think the best outcome is if they could get onto the Steam store since love it or not, valve have somewhat of a monopoly over most PC gamers attention and visual novels haven't ever really been a large genre out of Japan.

It might overall not sell a huge amount but as long as it sells enough to make the localisation worth it I'm pretty sure nitroplus/mages might look into moving over or getting other people to move over the other games as well.

The Chaos;Head release already fell through, and the latest Science Adventure stuff is console/handheld exclusive, making it unlikely to be localized.

Sallokin

Well the best thing you can hope for is that the translated version sells well and I really hope it does. It's such an amazing game/visual novel and more and more people really should be able to experience it. I think the best outcome is if they could get onto the Steam store since love it or not, valve have somewhat of a monopoly over most PC gamers attention and visual novels haven't ever really been a large genre out of Japan.

It might overall not sell a huge amount but as long as it sells enough to make the localisation worth it I'm pretty sure nitroplus/mages might look into moving over or getting other people to move over the other games as well.

I really hope it does. I'd be curious what their barometer for success is in terms of sales. I think Steam would totally blow it wide open though (with all the good and bad that comes with Steam). When you hear stories about games like PixelJunk Eden (different genre I know) doubling their earnings during the holiday sale, I can't help but think about what that could do for a game like this.

The Chaos;Head release already fell through, and the latest Science Adventure stuff is console/handheld exclusive, making it unlikely to be localized.

At least for those interested you can get some of it, like the Robotics;Notes and Chaos;Head anime, both of which are really good IMO.

This is definitely one of my favourite anime of recent times.
One of the few I'm actually going to watch again, so that's a plus.

Ibuki

Banned
I went ahead and put in a pre-order for the limited edition. Whoever said Feb 28, is that confirmed or am I imagining things?

_Ryo_

I had no idea there was more than one Steins;Gate game... Are they all VN? And is only the first PC game being released in English?

I had no idea there was more than one Steins;Gate game... Are they all VN? And is only the first PC game being released in English?

They're not really full-fledged stories, I think anyways, but rather fan disc type spinoffs. As far as I know, Peter from JAST has only confirmed the actual VN for localization. However, if it does well then who knows. Wouldn't be the first time we received fan discs, although most of the time it's MangaGamer who releases them.

I can't really think of any fan discs JAST has released...,

_Ryo_

They're not really full-fledged stories, I think anyways, but rather fan disc type spinoffs. As far as I know, Peter from JAST has only confirmed the actual VN for localization. However, if it does well then who knows. Wouldn't be the first time we received fan discs, although most of the time it's MangaGamer who releases them.

I can't really think of any fan discs JAST has released...,

How do fandiscs work? I mean, fans don't generally have rights to mess with copyrighted content right? So, if they're released commercially.. woah.

StayDead

How do fandiscs work? I mean, fans don't generally have rights to mess with copyrighted content right? So, if they're released commercially.. woah.

A fandisk is more something made purely for the fans of the original game. There's been some for Steins;Gate, atleast one for Chaos;Head and Corpse Party has had one or two too I think. Hiyoku Renri no Darlin for example has more comedic stories all leading to a kiss with each of the heroins. I've still only played 3 of the routes but they're all awesome. Moeka even gets her own route in it <3

Erigu

Those aren't made by fans, but rather for fans. ^^
And I'd actually call them "spin-offs", myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom