• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris Multiplayer Thread | Comet Sighted!

I would like to point out that despite the more casual rules that got lifted from the EU4 MP session, I was taken out in the EU4 MP in the very first MP session I ever had participated in. I didn't even last to the end of that very first session haha.

I added the session 1 NAP and the no crisis-causing techs to this one because the game is still new. In the second MP game, my plan was to lift the NAP rule, and change the complete ban of dangerous tech into a timed ban.

The only thing I'm not too sure about in the casual ruleset for this game is the year numbers (which I also lifted straight from the EU4 MP rules and changed them to Stellaris'), since an EU4 year passes faster than a Stellaris one.

Lach

The only thing I'm not too sure about in the casual ruleset for this game is the year numbers (which I also lifted straight from the EU4 MP rules and changed them to Stellaris'), since an EU4 year passes faster than a Stellaris one.

Yes the year numbers did actually look a bit extreme for me. Started a new game yesterday and after 4 hours, only 20 years have passed.

CloudWolf

Not sure. Casualfits the best with my current skill level, but competitive is always hilarious.

I'll have to think about this.

EDIT: Fuck it, put me in competitive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Competitive, because fanboi must be destroyed.

hifive.gif~c200

fanboi's backstabbing comes to bite him in the ass after all - in a different game. :D

One thing I am thinking of instating in both rulesets is that vassalizing another player is not allowed. There's a global 60% warscore on vassalizing an empire of any size, and that's kinda ridiculous.

Steel

Banned
fanboi's backstabbing comes to bite him in the ass after all - in a different game. :D

One thing I am thinking of instating in both rulesets is that vassalizing another player is not allowed. There's a global 60% warscore on vassalizing an empire of any size, and that's kinda ridiculous.

I'd like the option to offer vassalization if someone wants to do that, but I agree that as a war goal, vassalization is too easy to do, and it pretty much means that the other empire can end you in ten years.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Down for Competitive.
Technically eu, but i sleep 6-14, so i'm available during common NA times too.

Double post, but my suggestions for times/dates:

European sessions:
Wednesdays 21:30 to 23:00 CEST
Sundays 21:00 to 23:00 CEST

(i.e. EU4 MP times, for those who have participated in it in the past)

American sessions:
Wednesdays 21:00 to 23:00 Central
Sundays 21:00 to 23:00 Central

Americans, feel free to discuss this among yourselves. If everyone is East Coast, for instance, you could move it into that timezone. I'm using Central because it'd be easier for West Coasters to participate.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Put me down for all of them.

ALL OF THEM.

Steel

Banned
American sessions:

Americans, feel free to discuss this among yourselves. If everyone is East Coast, for instance, you could move it into that timezone. I'm using Central because it'd be easier for West Coasters to participate.

These times are fine with me.

dmann

American sessions:

I'm fine with the suggested times as well.

Volodja

The EU times are fine for me if we start after the 25th, before then the Wednesdays would be a bit of an issue.
Sundays are fine either way.

Haly

By the way, you might want to consider rules on FTL types.

I don't think all 3 play together well. Warp is, in my opinion, at a noticeable disadvantage just in general, and depending on the galaxy shape Wormhole might have a non-trivial advantage.

Steel

Banned
By the way, you might want to consider rules on FTL types.

I don't think all 3 play together well. Warp is, in my opinion, at a noticeable disadvantage just in general, and depending on the galaxy shape Wormhole might have a non-trivial advantage.

Warp has an exploration advantage especially when compared to hyperlane and womrhole. It also can't be crippled by precision strikes like wormhole stations can. But, yeah, on a millitary level it's slow enough to cause issues.

Haly

Warp has an exploration advantage.

I cannot disagree more. Hyperspace is by far the best exploration FTL method because you can bypass alien NPCs entirely. With hyperspace, it's possible to send your science ship across the galaxy in the first month. As long as you don't warp right on top of an amoeba or void cloud, nothing can stop you. My usual opener is to send my initial fleet all around my home planet to find all the immediately habitable places, then scan them before I scan anything else so I can decide early which way I want to expand. With Warp, if there's NPCs sitting in your way you won't able to bypass them without either a lot of micro or beefing up your military to kill them, wasting a lot of precious construction time and minerals.

Agreed that Warp is underpowered at the moment.

Personally, I'd be in favor of an all-Hyperspace game. It creates much more interesting situations in that it creates terrain. Chokepoints make Hyperspace vs. Hyperspace wars very fun.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I honestly think Hyperlane-only is a good idea.
It does create some terrain, at least. Warp is meh, and wormhole is confusionary.
It is pretty cool to have some people on wormhole and some on hyperlane, but perhaps having actual chokepoints is better than that. Stellaris is sorely lacking on anything resembling terrain, and hyperlanes give it some.

It may be the Endless Space veteran in me talking, though.

bjaelke

Sign me up for competitive. With the Clarke update coming next week we should maybe hold off and start a couple of days after?

If people want to put themself at a disadvantage with warp ftl they should be allowed to.

Actually, there are hyperlanes that cross between arms. Not, like, a ton of them, but pretty regularly spaced.

Oh I know, but you often have empires spawn in those areas. With wormholes, you can jump from wherever you want if there's two stars that are close enough, and if you get the distance upgrades, you're guaranteed to cross.

Sign me up for competitive. With the Clarke update coming next week we should maybe hold off and start a couple of days after?

If people want to put themself at a disadvantage with warp ftl they should be allowed to.

Yeah I too thought that people should play however they want.

Gotchaye

I'm going to back out of the mystery Euro section because I don't really enjoy war at all. I'll join back in after a few patches if things get better.

European sessions:
Wednesdays 21:30 to 23:00 CEST
Sundays 21:00 to 23:00 CEST

(i.e. EU4 MP times, for those who have participated in it in the past)

American sessions:

European times are fine by me.

Top Bottom