• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Carell To Star In ‘Minecraft: The Movie’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

The Office/40 Year Old Virgin star Steve Carell is in talks to join Warner Bros’ upcoming big-screen adaptation of the video game Minecraft. Hit the jump to learn more about the Steve Carell Minecraft casting.

Variety broke the news that Steve Carell is in talks to join the expected ensemble. Minecraft: the Movie will be directed by It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia creator Rob McElhenney, who penned the latest draft of the script alongside Wonder Woman/Pan screenwriter Jason Fuchs. Warner Bros landed the Minecraft movie rights in February 2014, and its taken them a while to get the project going. Reel Steel director Shawn Levy was originally attached to helm the project but left because his adventure movie with “a bit of a Goonies flair” was not what Mojang, the game makers who make Minecraft, wanted.

The game is not based on a traditional story narrative which has probably led to some development challenges. The freedom represented by Minecraft‘s system is part of the game’s appeal, and part of the reason it boasts 100 million players globally, but that is also one of the factors that make a movie adaptation particularly challenging. In 2015, Ethan Anderton included Minecraft in his listing of video game adaptations that might break the Hollywood video game curse.

It’s hard to make any assumptions about this movie at this time as we don’t even know what angle McElhenney plans to take with the property. Aside from the Illumination Entertainment Minions films, Carell hasn’t had a big hit in a number of years.

Warner Bros sees the game as having the same potential as The LEGO Movie, which had as its jumping-off point a similarly free-form toy set. McElhenney came on board the project in July 2015 and had been working hard to make it happen. The movie is set to hit theaters on May 25th, 2019, and Carell is likely to be the first of many casting announcements for the project we’ll get in the coming months.

Roy Lee is producing through his Vertigo Entertainment production company, along with Jill Messick (Mean Girls).

Source:http://www.slashfilm.com/steve-carell-minecraft-casting/

Tagyhag

Warner Bros sees the game as having the same potential as The LEGO Movie,

I mean, if they can match the quality of The LEGO Movie, I'm on board.

I wonder if they'll go with the Telltale route or if it'll look more CGI.

Ross61

I imagine it is live action. McElhenny doesn't have any background in animation.

I kinda expect we might see a Jumanji style "sucked into the game" sort of story out of this.

It's most likely going to be CGI or in the vein of Lego movie. This is a Warner Animation Group project.

120v

reminds me of the mario movie... about five years too late

not that i expect this to be anywhere near as bad (though not good either)

tumblr_n65ruduJ9V1t01o0vo1_400.gif

I don't actually care about any of it. Steve Carell is a fine enough actor and voice actor, but I care 0 about a MInecraft movie.

Corpekata

Banned
It's most likely going to be CGI or in the vein of Lego movie. This is a Warner Animation Group project.

I'm sure it would need tons of special effects, but it makes no sense to make a fully animated movie and court live action directors, especially one known mainly for his TV sitcom work.

Most articles I looked at suggest it is live action like http://collider.com/minecraft-movie-plot-target-audience/

The producer even gives it a logline that specifically includes live action.

Ross61

I'm sure it would need tons of special effects, but it makes no sense to make a fully animated movie and court live action directors, especially one known mainly for his TV sitcom work.

Most articles I looked at suggest it is live action like http://collider.com/minecraft-movie-plot-target-audience/

The producer even gives it a logline that specifically includes live action.

Not for nothing, but live action directors take on animated movies for the first time all the time. Hell, it wouldn't be the first time Warner Bros had done it. Which is why I think it will take the Lego Movie approach of part Live-Action and part Animated.

Corpekata

Banned
Not for nothing, but live action directors take on animated movies for the first time all the time. Hell, it wouldn't be the first time Warner Bros had done it. Which is why I think it will take the Lego Movie approach of part Live-Action and part Animated.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Will Ferrell stuff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Aside from the Illumination Entertainment Minions films, Carell hasn’t had a big hit in a number of years.

Unless Minecraft is a French art house film then I'm confused at this phrasing.

SFenton

I'm more interested in the idea that it won't follow a traditional narrative. That's kind of bold, and if done right, I like that a big budget movie will take that risk.

I'm not the biggest Minecraft fan, but I would love for them to create an original story based on the lore, simliar to telltale's Minecraft story mode. I could see it doing well like that.

Zomba13

I could kind of see it working in a way. Like Steve Carell is Steve, an average every day person that does stuff and comes across a new computer game but uh oh, it's magic and now he's the minecraft! Steve has to survive and punch trees and beat that dragon and then read the bizzare ending text to escape the world but not before timmy and jane his kids also get sucked in and help him in this magical adventure.

pg13 because of spooky scary endermen.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm more interested in the idea that it won't follow a traditional narrative. That's kind of bold, and if done right, I like that a big budget movie will take that risk.

It isn't saying the movie won't have one, it's saying the game doesn't have one, so that's why it's taking it so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom