• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jackson Games not super happy with Brian Fargo/inXile Autoduel reboot

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Last seen here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128297

Basically, Autoduel was a much loved adaptation of SJG's tabletop Car Wars. In addition, SJG has published (and still sells) various paper and digital Car Wars merchandise using the Autoduel mark over the last 30 years. In 2013, a group loosely affiliated with David Jaffe proposed an Autoduel reboot (complete with kickstarter). SJG presumably told them to knock it off, they changed the name to Motorgun, and it seemingly fizzled out (?). There was also a formal opposition filed with the USPTO, but it never went to trial.

Last year, someone spotted a trademark application for Autoduel by inXile, Brian Fargo's company responsible for bringing back Wasteland among others. This was an odd situation - Fargo confirmed via twitter that the project was in the works, then never mentioned it again. The trademark process is apparently a slow moving one, and on the lastish day to file an opposition claim SJG brings out this:

8t1EMsR.png

(from the USPTO)

I loved Autoduel, and hope they can move forward with a spiritual successor. I suggest they move forward with a new title. Maybe "Gun Car" or "Shooty Wheelz," or something equally as catchy.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Will this probably go in favor of SJG?

It seems like it? Not in any sense a lawyer, but the grounds for opposition is based on potential confusion with their existing product. When the initial excitement for the new game is based on nostalgia for the old game it sets a pretty low bar, if the case gets to that point.

4Tran

Unless inXile has the contractual rights to the Autoduel trademark from Steve Jackson Games, I really don't see how they have any legs to stand on. I like inXile, but it was a terrible idea to call their game "Autoduel" without the explicit rights to do so and without first talking to SJG. Hopefully this gets settled out of court and the game goes through as is, but I think it's going to be unlikely.

Top Bottom