• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Tons of fanart, gemsonas, random celebrity shoutouts
This really is like the growth of the MLP fandom all over again

Well, the SU fandom IS already lashing out against MLP fans fearing this growth, somehow there is this idea that the growth will lead to MLP fans jumping onboard and "ruining the fandom forever".

Because, it's not like there was overlap in the fandoms since, like, day one, right?

i'm gonna buy the guidebook that's coming in October for my girlfriend. and will probably by the comics when they're collected in a trade.

but I would really like a Blu-ray set for season 1.

Better to burn out than to become a shambling, Simpsons-esque zombie.

Not sure I agree with that. As much as Simpson sucks now, at least we got like, 8(?) seasons of good shit that will always be there. But with young justice we have 2 great seasons that will forever feel unfinished. That sucks man... Now if you wanted to make the season 3 of gargoyles argument, we'd have something... The comics were pretty good though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The creative team has been vocal about the show being made for everyone. Any age, any sex or gender. And it goes in pretty heavy with that ideal.

There is no need for a special fandom ala bronies to justify, say, adults of a particular gender watching the show. The writers already had that conversation on twitter recently in fact.

PSqueak

Banned
The show with 3 women and one boy? At the very least, it's gender neutral.

"3 women"

I sort of wish the show explored more the genderless nature of gems (as in, Gems defy gender since they can use whatever physical form they want) beyond Amethyst sometimes turning into purple puma.

I need direct sources from the creators of all the things I might watch for reassurance that they were targeting ME specifically.

So tempted to avatar quote...

vypek

Now to wait for the fan made fighting game to be made...wait actually that would be cool.

This reminds me, has there been any more news on when they plan to release their app? First thing I thought of when listening to parts of the soundtrack (Sugilite Returns) was that the music seems like it would be from a game and that they should make one.

Toxi

Banned
"3 women"

I sort of wish the show explored more the genderless nature of gems (as in, Gems defy gender since they can use whatever physical form they want) beyond Amethyst sometimes turning into purple puma.
Three women. They're three characters who are voiced by women, take the forms of women 99% of the time, and are treated as women by the show.

The gems are technically genderless in the same way Piccolo from Dragonball is technically genderless.

Raxus

We'll know the fandom's made it when gemkin start popping up.

BRB grabbing flamethrower to cut this down in its tracks.

Seriously though what made MLP insufferable was people began posting it EVERYWHERE on GAF and drove people nuts. In their defense they have since cut down immensely but it kind of stigmatized the community.

Simple solution.

For the love of god diversify. Watch another good TV shows (There are tons, I know, I checked!) or get another hobby. So instead of being that creepy guy who just watches cartoons you are the guy who enjoys many things including animation.

Simple solution.

For the love of god diversify. Watch another good TV shows (There are tons, I know, I checked!) or get another hobby. So instead of being that creepy guy who just watches cartoons you are the guy who enjoys many things including animation.

Uh, who are you posting this for?

Seriously though what made MLP insufferable was people began posting it EVERYWHERE on GAF and drove people nuts. In their defense they have since cut down immensely but it kind of stigmatized the community.

Simple solution.

This shit never actually happen. I know you hate it so much that when people posted pics of it instead the Fry 'take my money' pic for the 999 billionth time that your mind has turned it into some it wasn't, but it was no where near as bad as people make it out to be for whatever reason.

And you are an idiot if you think even a fraction of them they only watched one show.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody at the moment (thank goodness) but is advice I really wish I gave to MLP GAF when it was in a full blown craze. It is similar advice anime GAF goes by as well.

Good thing people in PonyGAF enjoy(ed) other stuff while watching MLP (see crossover into this thread).

Internet just loves to foam at the mouth at that which is different. They got over ponies already (for the most part) so until something comes around that seems to challenge their conceptions of adult-approved entertainment it won't matter how much SU stuff goes around.

PSqueak

Banned
The gems are technically genderless in the same way Piccolo from Dragonball is technically genderless.

Exactly, and DB never did anything with that fact, i don't want that, i want them to explore genderless-ness more.

Im not attacking the legitimacy of them identifying as female as per their default form of choosing, that's actually wonderful! Just saying that there is a blank check for interesting lore/concepts they're not cashing [yet].

Also shapeshifting in general, Amethyst seems to be the only one who embraces it so far.

rexor0717

I remember a time when this thread was stuck on a page for a month. It's good to see so many people hop on. The Steven Bomb really e expanded the viewership, although the ratings don't reflect that.
Right now my biggest hope for season 2 is to see some of the human world outside of beach city.

Amir0x

Banned
Also shapeshifting in general, Amethyst seems to be the only one who embraces it so far.

As I've watched the show, I've come to think of the fusions as sort of expressions of who you actually want to be with. To fuse, you must dance with your partner... and if you're not synced together and on the same page, it won't work as we've seen earlier in the show. As a sort of symbol for relationships, whether it be key friendships or significant others, it makes sense that the gems wouldn't necessarily just jump into it as if it's no big deal. Because you change who you are as a single being, and you become one. It changes your personality and physical attributes.

As we saw when Garnet got deconstructed, she was basically completely distraught at being separated from her partner. It was devastating... she lost her future vision, and her song upon joining back up with her friend/lover/partner is all about being made of love.

So, bringing it back around, considering Amethysts character... wouldn't it make sense she's the type who's into it? She's rash, so she'd rush into relationships and many times they'd turn to ruin (Sugilite). She frequently gets into trouble with her friends over this. Her friendship with Greg was specifically problematic due to her jealousy over Rose Quartz.

Given Pearl's character and Garnet's character, it makes sense they are more sensitive about fusions. One, is for obvious reasons - I think they're more careful in general and it's a big deal to fuse. But the other is less obvious, and involves a bit of speculation. I believe Garnet doesn't care so much about fusions because she is already fused with someone she deeply cares about. So for her, fusions with her friends are secondary and different in importance.

For Pearl, I think other than her being the type who would always express caution getting into such an intimate relationship (look at how hard she pushed against Amethyst in that fusion for Opal), I think there's a deeper issue at play.

I think she used to fuse with Rose Quartz. And I think she felt something much like Ruby and Sapphire's relationship. I'm not sure it was reciprocated considering what happened between Rose Quartz and Greg, but I do think there's more to Pearl's intense sadness over Rose's 'death'. She more than any other is effected, and as we saw in that one episode she thought Rose Quartz told her everything. Who else do you tell everything to but your significant other?

Raxus

I remember a time when this thread was stuck on a page for a month. It's good to see so many people hop on. The Steven Bomb really e expanded the viewership, although the ratings don't reflect that.
Right now my biggest hope for season 2 is to see some of the human world outside of beach city.

It was on at 5 p.m. and it aired every day. Adventure time had similar ratings when it did something similar and that was at a cushy 7 p.m. slot.

rexor0717

That makes a lot of sense that Pearl would have fused with Rose Quartz. I could see it being something Pearl wanted very much but Rose Quartz never really have her in the quantity she works have liked. On the point of intimacy in fusion, all three of them did fuse into Alexandrite. That was an incredibly unstable fusion, because while they all love Steven, the reason behind their fusion was weak. "Shit just got real" Alexandrite is not going to be the same as Fusion Cuisine Alexandrite.

Psxphile

It was on at 5 p.m. and it aired every day. Adventure time had similar ratings when it did something similar and that was at a cushy 7 p.m. slot.

Despite that, they're keeping Steven Universe at 5PM, at least for the next two weeks. It must say something that the show now headlines New Thursdays (and the weekday block in general).

Acerac

Banned

Seriously though what made MLP insufferable was people began posting it EVERYWHERE on GAF
and drove people nuts. In their defense they have since cut down immensely but it kind of stigmatized the community.

Simple solution.

This never actually happened.

PSqueak

Banned
I think she used to fuse with Rose Quartz. And I think she felt something much like Ruby and Sapphire's relationship. I'm not sure it was reciprocated considering what happened between Rose Quartz and Greg, but I do think there's more to Pearl's intense sadness over Rose's 'death'. She more than any other is effected, and as we saw in that one episode she thought Rose Quartz told her everything. Who else do you tell everything to but your significant other?

I always have gotten the vibe that, save for Greg, Rose was basically a mother for every living thing ever, while i see why people would feel Amethyst and Pearl had romantic feelings for Rose, i sort of see it as them actually loving her as a mother.

Amethyst's beef with Greg kinda reflects that of childish jelousy of seeing her "mom" dating someone; While Pearl's deal was more along of thinking she was the "favorite child" which also falls in line with middle children and overachieving children (traits that fit Pearl), the way Rose said "My Pearl" can be taken as romantic, but also it's not unlike how mothers talk to their children.

I think for me this mostly comes from the way the series is building up Rose to be this "Mother Goddess" figure, her powerset is Healing, Protecting and giving life, she loved all the creatures of earth, it just screams "Mother" to me.

Pearl and Amethyst fusing could even possibly have been used as "make up with your sister" bonding experience too.

Psxphile

http://hilaryflorido.tumblr.com/post/113979414993/this-thursday-check-it-out

tumblr_nlfap1jb6u1qgydino1_1280.jpg

As I've watched the show, I've come to think of the fusions as sort of expressions of who you actually want to be with. To fuse, you must dance with your partner... and if you're not synced together and on the same page, it won't work as we've seen earlier in the show. As a sort of symbol for relationships, whether it be key friendships or significant others, it makes sense that the gems wouldn't necessarily just jump into it as if it's no big deal. Because you change who you are as a single being, and you become one. It changes your personality and physical attributes.

As we saw when Garnet got deconstructed, she was basically completely distraught at being separated from her partner. It was devastating... she lost her future vision, and her song upon joining back up with her friend/lover/partner is all about being made of love.

So, bringing it back around, considering Amethysts character... wouldn't it make sense she's the type who's into it? She's rash, so she'd rush into relationships and many times they'd turn to ruin (Sugilite). She frequently gets into trouble with her friends over this. Her friendship with Greg was specifically problematic due to her jealousy over Rose Quartz.

Given Pearl's character and Garnet's character, it makes sense they are more sensitive about fusions. One, is for obvious reasons - I think they're more careful in general and it's a big deal to fuse. But the other is less obvious, and involves a bit of speculation. I believe Garnet doesn't care so much about fusions because she is already fused with someone she deeply cares about. So for her, fusions with her friends are secondary and different in importance.

For Pearl, I think other than her being the type who would always express caution getting into such an intimate relationship (look at how hard she pushed against Amethyst in that fusion for Opal), I think there's a deeper issue at play.

You make very good points, but the person you quoted wasn't talking about fusions, he was talking about shape-shifting. So far, aside from Garnet getting stretchy arms that one time, Amythist is the only gem that actively shape shifts and seems to enjoy doing it. She uses it to mimic and mock the other gems, she's turned into animals, and turned into the male Purple Puma wrestler. Garnet seems indifferent to it, Pearl like... actively dislikes it, and Steven ... well, after what happened the one time he tried, can't really blame him for not giving it another go yet.

So what do the homeworld gems want with earth again? What was the 'very bad thing' they were trying to do? I'm assuming it has to do with humanity being destroyed, but I'm not sure what they would gain from that. I kind of missed that lol. ~*re watching the show with my brother*

So what do the homeworld gems want with earth again? What was the 'very bad thing' they were trying to do? I'm assuming it has to do with humanity being destroyed, but I'm not sure what they would gain from that. I kind of missed that lol. ~*re watching the show with my brother*

The assumption is that they want to basically mine Earth for its resources. They don't deliberately want to destroy life or anything, but it's a side effect of their actions and they don't particularly care what happens.

Zeppu

http://keepbeachcityweird.tumblr.com

How did Rolando become one of my favorite characters on the show?

So, um. I'm reading old posts of Keep Beach City Weird, and it seems that he's on to something...

I was completely wrong about Sneople, but I’ve got new theory that’s ROCK SOLID! Because it has to do with rocks! Polymorphic Sentient Rocks!!! They’re here to hollow out the Earth!!! It’s all a part of the great Diamond Authority!!!!

This is basically 100% accurate.

There's a lot of hinting going on in that blog.

The assumption is that they want to basically mine Earth for its resources. They don't deliberately want to destroy life or anything, but it's a side effect of their actions and they don't particularly care what happens.

Ah...

So, um. I'm reading old posts of Keep Beach City Weird, and it seems that he's on to something...

This is basically 100% accurate.

There's a lot of hinting going on in that blog.

Holy shit. He even mentioned the Diamonds, presumably a hint at Yellow, Blue, and White diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom