• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddGutts

They can age Steven like how Bobby aged in King of the Hill, about 4 years passed in KotH but Bobby's appearance only changed a little bit.

Zeppu

So all this back and forth discussion got me thinking. As is the general consensus the Gems, being polymorphic sentient rocks, replicate by going onto a planet, mining resources (at the expense of the planet itself) and furthering their influence.

I don't think that makes them inherently evil, they are just trying to keep their species going. What I think happened was that Rose found herself on Earth and realized that the planet is teeming with life, even though it's not life that any other gem has ever encountered before. I think the gems look at 'life' on earth much in the same way we look at rocks on our planet. Rose, perhaps due to the fact that her gem seemed to have some power over the life on this planet, came to realize the uniqueness and fragility of this carbon-based life and how using that planet for kindergartens was eradicating this new form of life.

That is why Pearl was amazed that the battlefield has become so beautiful. Nature only exists on this planet and only the rebel Gems realized the tragedy which would arise from wiping it out.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So all this back and forth discussion got me thinking. As is the general consensus the Gems, being polymorphic sentient rocks, replicate by going onto a planet, mining resources (at the expense of the planet itself) and furthering their influence.

I don't think that makes them inherently evil, they are just trying to keep their species going. What I think happened was that Rose found herself on Earth and realized that the planet is teeming with life, even though it's not life that any other gem has ever encountered before. I think the gems look at 'life' on earth much in the same way we look at rocks on our planet. Rose, perhaps due to the fact that her gem seemed to have some power over the life on this planet, came to realize the uniqueness and fragility of this carbon-based life and how using that planet for kindergartens was eradicating this new form of life.

That is why Pearl was amazed that the battlefield has become so beautiful. Nature only exists on this planet and only the rebel Gems realized the tragedy which would arise from wiping it out.

Good Theory but I have a feeling that maybe the creation of Gem's might require the destruction of non-gem life. Looking at the desolation around the kindergarten (that wasn't active for 1000's of year). I have this weird feeling that considering all the anime reference that SU has drawn inspiration from FMA and the way alchemy is used to creative a philosopher's stone. It might be dark, but it would be a great way to frame why Rose sacrificing her life for the birth of steven is so significant since his birth goes against the very nature of Gem creation.

Zeppu

Good Theory but I have a feeling that maybe the creation of Gem's might require the destruction of non-gem life. Looking at the desolation around the kindergarten (that wasn't active for 1000's of year). I have this weird feeling that considering all the anime reference that SU has drawn inspiration from FMA and the way alchemy is used to creative a philosopher's stone. It might be dark, but it would be a great way to frame why Rose sacrificing her life for the birth of steven is so significant since his birth goes against the very nature of Gem creation.

I always saw the desolation around kindergarten as being analogous to the desolation left in the wake of humans mining for resources.

I also don't see Rose as sacrificing her life, but rather choosing to heighten herself to newer levels by merging with this new form of life on earth. All of Rose is within Steven, the first ever gem to be 'fused' with a carbon-based lifeform. The reasoning as to why this is advantageous is unclear as of yet, but it wouldn't surprise me that the fact that Steven was able to fuse with Connie had something to do with it.

Who know, there might come a time when thanks to Steven, all of Beach City's residents will be fused with the Crystal Gems in a last ditch attempt to overcome the HW Gems. Or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, fan theory time, is Steven actually some kind of fusion between Rose and himself? Jasper seems under the impression that Rose is "in there" in some way, and if she loved humanity wanting to be "an experience" to really discover them would make sense.

EDIT: I swear I came up with this before reading the post above me

Zeppu

So, fan theory time, is Steven actually some kind of fusion between Rose and himself? Jasper seems under the impression that Rose is "in there" in some way, and if she loved humanity wanting to be "an experience" to really discover them would make sense.

From Rose's tape:

Isn't it remarkable, Steven? This world is full of so many possibilities. Each living thing has an entirely unique experience. The sights they see, the sounds they hear. The lives they live are so complicated... a-and so simple. I can't wait for you to join them. Steven, we can't both exist. I'm going to become half of you. And I need you to know that every moment you love being yourself, that's me, loving you and loving being you. Because you're going to be something extraordinary. You're going to be a human being.

So Steven is effectively all of Rose but as a human. It's obvious that she is in love with the possibilities of the living things on Earth, and has chosen to change herself to experience life in this magnificent way. Half of Steven is all of Rose.

Apparently open book got 1.72 million viewers, so that's pretty reassuring. I guess being consistently in second place behind teen titans go will keep the show in good standings with cartoon network.

rexor0717

From Rose's tape:

So Steven is effectively all of Rose but as a human. It's obvious that she is in love with the possibilities of the living things on Earth, and has chosen to change herself to experience life in this magnificent way. Half of Steven is all of Rose.
There is still the issue of Lion's existence and how he relates to Rose.

Zeppu

So, um...anyone ever notice the massive sword when Lapis takes the ocean?

LZi0N8m.jpg

iosefe

That's what I thought too, but that thing is huuuuge. It's in the background and it's much bigger than the temple in the foreground.

maybe it's Buster Sword Proportions? the temple is a giant woman, and a giant woman needs a giant sword

rexor0717

That sword makes me even more confident that we're getting giant battles. It kinda makes me afraid for Beach City cuz its so small. It'd be interesting for them to explore the repercussions of Gem battles on the townsfolk. They've already had to rebuild once, but I think they can appreciate that the Gems are doing what they do to protect the Earth. I don't think they'd go down the cliche path of anti-Gem laws and whatnot.

I was looking at IMDB and Steven Universe has a 7.6/10 while gravity falls has an 8.9/10. Is Gravity Falls really that much better? I never got around to watching it as no one around me really talks about it but I guess I should give it try. Although looking back at the written reviews for Steven Universe most of the negative ones were from early on in 2014, which is sort of understandable since the show hadn't quite caught its stride yet, there was not much story, and Steven was still squeaky, hyperactive and kinda annoying lol. So that may explain why the score is kind of low compared to other similar types of shows.

wwm0nkey

I was looking at IMDB and Steven Universe has a 7.6/10 while gravity falls has an 8.9/10. Is Gravity Falls really that much better? I never got around to watching it as no one around me really talks about it but I guess I should give it try. Although looking back at the written reviews for Steven Universe most of the negative ones were from early on in 2014, which is sort of understandable since the show hadn't quite caught its stride yet, there was not much story, and Steven was still squeaky, hyperactive and kinda annoying lol. So that may explain why the score is kind of low compared to other similar types of shows.

The airing schedule is mostly to blame for the viewership drops I imagine.

Also Gravity Falls and SU are both amazing, wouldn't really put one over the other.

Not necessarily better, but personally I like each episode more. It just has charm and wit. And the latest episode was fucking mindblowing. Definitely give it a watch, it has a very interesting over-arching plot as well.

rexor0717

Gravity falls is a lot funnier, thats for sure. I like the character work/world building in SU more tho.

The Technomancer

Gravity Falls is better at being a fun cartoon, but not quite as good as SU in terms of character building. Its still great, its just that Steven Universe is exceptional at that.

Also season 2 of GF has been kind of disappointing, in that its really just more of season 1. The show didn't advance very much

Toxi

Banned
Watch Gravity Falls, it's a very good show with great animation, characters, and humor. Plus, it has a really cool overarching mystery plot (That unfortunately has been spoiled everywhere on the internet).
Also season 2 of GF has been kind of disappointing, in that its really just more of season 1. The show didn't advance very much
We're only halfway through season 2 and we've already seen tons of crazy advancement.

• The blacklight messages in the book and the laptop
  • The reveal Grunkle Stan knew about the weirdness of Gravity Falls all along
  • The reveal of McGuckett and the Society of the Blind Eye
  • The ending of Dipper's crush on Wendy (thank God)
  • Pacifica's change of character
  • Some more info about Bill Cipher's relationship with the journals
  • The activation of the machine and the reveal of Stan's brother/the author

Plus, season 2's just been filled with quality episodes despite being only half done. Sock Opera, Into the Bunker, Not What He Seems, Blendin's Game, just a ton of good stuff with only a few clunkers (The Love God) in comparison to season 1.

Tuck

Gravity Falls is better at being a fun cartoon, but not quite as good as SU in terms of character building. Its still great, its just that Steven Universe is exceptional at that.

What? Season 2 is on a whole other level, and has had a much greater sense of continuity and progression overall.

Toxi's post above is a good breakdown.

KiN0

Steven universe probably has better character development at the moment but it's also had a lot more episodes.

As far as overarching plot, GF is a head and shoulder above what SU has done so far and it hasn't even finished its current season. Like others have said, the shows biggest fault is its release schedule.

The Technomancer

Its...I dunno. Maybe I should post this in the Gravity Falls topic, but the broader plot advancement, up until the very last episode of course, felt kind of cursory? What struck me about Steven Universe was just how organic all of the development up until this point has been, whereas GF this season so far feels often like they're bolting on plot advancement to the story of the week

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Coincidentally, I just started watching Gravity Falls again with my roommate, (yesterday), and I gotta say, the animation quality is much better. The dialogue is also hilarious. So it started off with a very high point compared to SU which took a while to hit it's stride. I didn't even wanna watch SU at the beginning due to Steven annoying me. :p

Not

Banned

You're wrong though. The kids are
/were
starting to like Grunkle Stan more, and
Dipper's infatuation with Wendy took a knee.

Hamlet

Yeah Gravity Falls has been fantastic so far this season. So glad
they dealt with the Wendy situation so quick and in a pretty mature fashion.
Only wish the release schedule for it was better sigh.

Maximo

Yeah Gravity Falls has been fantastic so far this season. So glad
they dealt with the Wendy situation so quick and in a pretty mature fashion.
Only wish the release schedule for it was better sigh.
Yeah seriously what is Disney smoking.

Raxus

Yeah seriously what is Disney smoking.

To be fair, Disney's event based scheduling means Gravity Falls consistently draws excellent ratings. It just makes things especially frustrating to watch when every episode ends with a small hiatus it seems.

I'm amazed that MLP didn't even crack the top 20. Must be the long hiatus.

As I pointed out when this came up earlier, many MLP tumblrs don't use any My Little Pony tags, whether it be "My Little Pony", "MLP", or even "pony". As I recall, that's how this site measures activity.

rexor0717

Its...I dunno. Maybe I should post this in the Gravity Falls topic, but the broader plot advancement, up until the very last episode of course, felt kind of cursory? What struck me about Steven Universe was just how organic all of the development up until this point has been, whereas GF this season so far feels often like they're bolting on plot advancement to the story of the week

I agree with this. I'd say GF is more focused on humor than strong world building. That's alright because it succeeds at being really funny.

I just watched episode 51 last night
and I totally thought the fake Connie was trying to get Steven to say that he likes real Connie in a romantic way. I was so fucking relived when that wasn't the case, but for a minute there I thought the writers were really jumping the shark. Steven and Connie seem way too young as characters for that kind of relationship (Stevonnie was pretty cool though). Hats off to the creators for pulling a fast one on me.

iosefe

I just watched episode 51 last night
and I totally though the fake Connie was trying to get Steven to say that he likes real Connie in a romantic way. I was so fucking relived when that wasn't the case, but for a minute there I thought the writers were really jumping the shark. Steven and Connie seem way too young as characters for that kind of relationship (Stevonnie was pretty cool though). Hats off to the creators for pulling a fast one on me.
Kudos to the crewniverse for making a legit and sincere childhood friendship.

Well they've been hinting that there's something else there but they're too young to know what it is. I assume they'll eventually at the least reach puberty before the show ends so around then it might expand. The show doesn't shy from romance when it happens.

Also remember that we don't actually know how old either of them are. In my head I could imagine Steven being 10-12, but Connie acts pretty mature and could be an early teen?

They said they wanted to keep his age a secret for a joke, and we have seen that he has control over how he ages, I could totally imagine them doing something like a birthday episode where they say he's 12 or 13 and he goes "wait didn't I turn that age last year?" and Garnet says "you've turned that age every birthday you've had for the last 5 years" or something.

I hope they don't do something like that though because then there's be an age gap between him and Connie AKA best couple of forever.

Also remember that we don't actually know how old either of them are. In my head I could imagine Steven being 10-12, but Connie acts pretty mature and could be an early teen?

They said they wanted to keep his age a secret for a joke, and we have seen that he has control over how he ages, I could totally imagine them doing something like a birthday episode where they say he's 12 or 13 and he goes "wait didn't I turn that age last year?" and Garnet says "you've turned that age every birthday you've had for the last 5 years" or something.

I hope they don't do something like that though because then there's be an age gap between him and Connie AKA best couple of forever.
Connie acts mature but that's due to her upbringing and girls maturing faster than boys in general when it comes to attitude. Combine that with how over controlling her parents are... even if she's like a year older it wouldn't be an issue

Fandometrics shows that Steven Universe remained the most popular television show fandom on Tumblr this week, even beating out Glee and its finale.

Nice.
I'm loving how active the fanbase is right now, and it's awesome to see more people get into the show...
I honestly remember a time when not a lot of people even glanced at this show...at one point this thread was a ghost town.
:p

MartyStu

I think there is plenty there for that relationship to be more.

It just...a pointless endeavor for children that young. Brings too much baggage for pretty much no gain.

Psxphile

I re-read the first couple of pages of this thread the other day. Knowing what we know now, some of those posts ended up strangely prophetic.

EDIT: I think we all know that StevenxConnie is endgame. But it's nice that they don't feel the need to advance the relationship beyond best buds right now.

Leonel

Neo Member
After reading the posts about Rose still existing, it makes me wonder if it'll be possible for her to reemerge, if only for a little bit. Like, could a situation arise where she will be needed, kinda like how Goku appeared for Gohan with the Cell fight? Sounds super corny but just a thought.

KiN0

After reading the posts about Rose still existing, it makes me wonder if it'll be possible for her to reemerge, if only for a little bit. Like, could a situation arise where she will be needed, kinda like how Goku appeared for Gohan with the Cell fight? Sounds super corny but just a thought.

I'm expecting steven to be some kind of fusion between rose and greg. It would explain why fusion is such an important part of the series lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom