• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that they've held off on airing Lion 4, is anyone else expecting Cartoon Network to air it as the beginning of a season-finale Steven Bomb? It seems like the most logical thing to do, especially since we're down to the last episodes of Season 4. There's also the high chance that the season will end with a story arc like Seasons 1-3, which makes sense to air as a week-long event.

Psxphile

Given that they've held off on airing Lion 4, is anyone else expecting Cartoon Network to air it as the beginning of a season-finale Steven Bomb? It seems like the most logical thing to do, especially since we're down to the last episodes of Season 4. There's also the high chance that the season will end with a story arc like Seasons 1-3, which makes sense to air as a week-long event.

That's a reasonable assumption, we're currently at 19 episodes of this season aired already.

Wouldn't that still leave us with 1 or 2 extra episodes, though? Maybe it'll pull a season 2 and the bomb will be the season finale arc, while episodes 25 / possibly 26 are a Log Date 7 15 2 sort of thing.

Psxphile

Wouldn't that still leave us with 1 or 2 extra episodes, though? Maybe it'll pull a season 2 and the bomb will be the season finale arc, while episodes 25 / possibly 26 are a Log Date 7 15 2 sort of thing.

bomb week might have one day or two days air a double billing, also there's a chance that one episode slot will be taken to produce (more) shorts

who knows with CN

Psxphile

Cartoon Network PR Announcements

Specifically:

Steven Universe – Friendships are tested as the saga continues in this Emmy-nominated series, created by Rebecca Sugar. The show returns with new adventurous story arcs and specials, in which fans will meet more Gems, spend time with the Diamonds and gain insight into the ever-mysterious Gem Homeworld while the series' titular hero Steven Universe will grow as a leader. Steven Universe is lauded for having a voice of inclusion, and was recently nominated for its first GLAAD Media Award in the Outstanding Comedy Series category.

I mean, it ain't much to go on and most of us can already come to that conclusion anyway.

Despite being a "returning series", they didn't announce any new seasons in production... most likely because we still have over a year's worth of un-aired episodes to sift through. But also probably because they don't plan to. We'll know for sure next year, though!

EDIT: oh right, forgot to mention that SU's Matt Burnett and Ben Levin are developing a new show for CN that was announced for pick-up called Craig of the Creek. So I guess that means they no longer work on SU as Head Writers???

Doesn't look like they announced any new seasons for existing shows in that PR release (wasn't the Magiswords renewal already known?), so they're either dropping literally everything, or this isn't really the venue for that announcement.

Cartoon Network PR Announcements

Specifically:

I mean, it ain't much to go on and most of us can already come to that conclusion anyway.

Despite being a "returning series", they didn't announce any new seasons in production... most likely because we still have over a year's worth of un-aired episodes to sift through. But also probably because they don't plan to. We'll know for sure next year, though!

EDIT: oh right, forgot to mention that SU's Matt Burnett and Ben Levin are developing a new show for CN that was announced for pick-up called Craig of the Creek. So I guess that means they no longer work on SU as Head Writers???

DeeDee Magno Hall (Pearl's VA) recently tweeted a selfie of her, and the VAs for Steven, Connie, and Amethyst in the recording booth with Rebecca Sugar directing. That leads me to believe that we'll get a Season 6 at least, but it's still technically possible that they're recording voice work for late Season 5 stuff.

Matt Burnett and Ben Levin leaving is a huge blow, but that probably just means the show will change somewhat. Rebecca is still in charge, so things should be at the very least decent from a story perspective. I mean, it's also possible that all the remaining scripts have been written...

I've prepared myself for the show possibly ending at Season 5, but I'll probably still be mad if that's really it. From a pacing standpoint, it doesn't feel like the show should end at Season 5, unless there is absolutely no "filler" in Season 5. We're still in "What happened to Pink Diamond?" mode, we have no idea what Homeworld looks like, and the words "White Diamond" haven't even been uttered yet.

I'm crossing my fingers for 7 seasons with a definitive ending.

Okay, the way Lion 4 leaked is incredibly strange...
Just a kid, a literal kid, recording it off of a television.
How in the world?
Be careful if you don't want to be spoiled folks.

Just when you think it can't get any stranger than Cartoon Network accidentally releasing five episodes at once, we get literally just some kid recording an unreleased version of an upcoming episode with his phone. The kid must know someone with access to screeners or something.

Sigh, oh well, watching it now.

Just watched it, and I can see this pissing off a lot of people who have had gripes with Season 4 and "stuff" not happening. Those people may need to chill out though. Episode Discussion Spoilers:
It's undoubtedly a quieter episode and it's definitely an example of the show going small when people expect it to go big. But I kind of like that the show keeps defying expectations. Steven starts the episode looking for clues for what big grand scheme his mom had for him, and it turns out...that she doesn't have one. She doesn't know what's going to happen; she just wants her kid to know that they were loved. It completely shuts down the "Rose had Steven because she's evil or plotting something" theory. There is no grand revelation. Rose is just a mom who loves her kid and doesn't know what the future holds, but wants what's best for them. It seems anticlimactic because it's so...normal. But the fact that it's normal is heartwarming and reassuring.

Also, the reveal makes this episode title a great pun.

Either way, I see people getting pissed for expecting one thing and getting another.

Just watched it, and I can see this pissing off a lot of people who have had gripes with Season 4 and "stuff" not happening. Those people may need to chill out though. Episode Discussion Spoilers:
It's undoubtedly a quieter episode and it's definitely an example of the show going small when people expect it to go big. But I kind of like that the show keeps defying expectations. Steven starts the episode looking for clues for what big grand scheme his mom had for him, and it turns out...that she doesn't have one. She doesn't know what's going to happen; she just wants her kid to know that they were loved. It completely shuts down the "Rose had Steven because she's evil or plotting something" theory. There is no grand revelation. Rose is just a mom who loves her kid and doesn't know what the future holds, but wants what's best for them. It seems anticlimactic because it's so...normal. But the fact that it's normal is heartwarming and reassuring.

Also, the reveal makes this episode title a great pun.

Either way, I see people getting pissed for expecting one thing and getting another.

We did get one pretty big thing out of it, though.

PD's hand ship's fingers poking through the sand in Lion's desert. Considering how huge the other Diamond ships were, there could still be an entire complex buried away in there containing who knows what.

caliph95

Another leak not surprised and i will use my the same self-restraint
i did last time I've watched the leaks and will probably do so again

I really liked it.

I think discovering that Rose apparently doesn't have a "plan" for Steven is actually an interesting new development.

I feel that this really casts Rose's judgment into question -- why is having a kid your priority when you have a hostile alien empire looming that could return at any moment? For Steven's sake, I guess it's sort of a relief in the sense that Rose respected his life in that he wasn't instrumental; she wasn't just seeking to use him as a chess piece for some plot.At the same time, it is distressing. This means that what happens next is up to him and the Gems. There's no secret Rose backup plan. At least that is what we are led to believe. I think that speaks poorly to Rose's leadership abilities and cements her failure as a leader: she oversaw the mass corruption and death of her friends and those others who joined her cause. Now, she's gone and the threat she held back remains with potentially even more devastating consequences.

Lion's understanding and knowledge of all these things is also interesting, along with the fact that it seems that we see what might be the remains of Pink Diamond's hand ship in the desert.

Very good episode in my opinion.

jwk94

Does anyone else find that they don't care about the show as much? In the beginning, I couldn't get enough of SU. Even last year I was still hyped for the Steven Bombs, but the scheduling has really killed my interest. Like, I love the concept of Steven Bombs, but having these gaps between episodes really makes me want to watch it less and less. The last episode I watched was the Ronaldo one and I didn't even get all the way through it.

Morlas

nope not really, but i was one of those kids who watched the saiyan saga up til the ginyu force repeat on toonami over and over again, if anything i think that when they hit out of the park they hit it harder than ever....so i dunno i guess some people are impatient.

Nope. I still really like the show, even though the schedule is frustrating. But I will say the town episodes are a real downer. They can be a huge turnoff. It makes you wonder how the same people are producing them.

They are not good. Their hamfisted morals are not interesting. The town characters themselves are usually very bland and so is Steven's relationship to them. It is not a good choice to disconnect the town so much from the "main" plot.

But the highs are great. It's a unique show with great lore/world and believable relationships among the core cast. I hope it is renewed for many seasons to come. I think the show has a lot of potential and I always find it curious when people think the "end is in sight". I think there is a lot more to tell in Steven Universe and I hope they are able to do it.

My enthusiasm for the program has certainly waned during season 4.

The honeymoon period is over for me; the show's flaws are becoming much more conspicuous.
Don't get me wrong though, I still adore Steven Universe. I'm always gonna tune in. Stuff like Mindful Education and the entirety of the "Zoo arc" are absolutely fantastic, just about as great as anything from previous seasons.
However when the show just up and becomes fucking off-brand Clarence for 5 episodes (which has been happening way too often this season) I get really frustrated... ...and (yeah) it doesn't help that the erratic, inconsistent scheduling makes the sting of a hiatus way more painful than it would normally be.
-.-
Edit: It also doesn't help that SU's been in a slump next to cartoons like Star Vs. and Samurai Jack season 5, two cartoons with absolutely phenomenal serialized storytelling and art direction.

MartyStu

Does anyone else find that they don't care about the show as much? In the beginning, I couldn't get enough of SU. Even last year I was still hyped for the Steven Bombs, but the scheduling has really killed my interest. Like, I love the concept of Steven Bombs, but having these gaps between episodes really makes me want to watch it less and less. The last episode I watched was the Ronaldo one and I didn't even get all the way through it.

No. Not really. If anything, I like the show more and more each year.

The storytelling more than the scheduling has been hampering my enthusiasm for the show.

This has been a more introspective season that's focused largely on Steven's emotional issues and concerns. I'm OK with that, but people have been waiting for almost an entire season for some of the bigger external issues and plotlines to be addressed. Out of This World helped, but it also made this season's different approach more apparent and frustrating for some people.

That being said, they pretty much have to end this season with a bang to get people interested. If Yellow Diamond and Blue Diamond show up with an invading force and/or start kidnapping humans, then the complaints will be mostly forgotten. If Season 4 ends with a regular episode and not some big story arc, I expect fans to blow a gasket.

Edit: I really hope my SU news source isn't pulling an April fools joke one me.

Damn it, they might be.
I might need to go sternly talk to someone.

JSevere

y'all know what day today is right?

PiQbJhb.jpg

besides, CN wouldn't bring the show back this early. they're gonna give us another couple months of hiatus at least

TheSun

While I was waiting for new episodes, I'd thought I'll check out some gem focused podcasts, for whatever reason.

I checked out the Crystal Clodcast, which is headed by Laura K. Loved Laura so I'd definitely went to check it out.

It was Slightly dull. Upon giving further chances to it I say it's okay. Wish the other two spoke more.

Dunno about the Gemcast, gonna see if it is any good or not.

EDIT: Fuq my original wording.

You know what would be pretty amazing?

A normal goddamned schedule for their shows. Bombs are nice but then not having anything for months, then another bomb, then nothing, then some random trickles out cannot be helping the ratings. To say nothing of how they send the DVR info out to providers.

Hell, they stealth released the new episode of Rick & Morty on Saturday (likely part of April 1 shenanigans) and it pissed off a lot of people.

Psxphile

A normal goddamned schedule for their shows. Bombs are nice but then not having anything for months, then another bomb, then nothing, then some random trickles out cannot be helping the ratings. To say nothing of how they send the DVR info out to providers.

Hell, they stealth released the new episode of Rick & Morty on Saturday (likely part of April 1 shenanigans) and it pissed off a lot of people.

Made a lot of other people happy, too. But agreed: bumping off one hotly-anticipated show to showcase another was not cool.

The Netflix model is a cruel mistress.

Zubz

Banned

Leave the Samurai Jack OT; the stealth release was well-received anywhere the majority demographic wasn't solely there for Samurai Jack or Dragon Ball Super. Go anywhere those 2 shows are taken out of the equation, & you'll see nothing but praise.

That said, I do wish they would've shown Jack & Super if the intent was to rerun the episode every night this week, as well. But [as] April Fools premieres are usually part of a marathon, anyway.

Ruflux

Neo Member
Regarding the surprise R&M premiere, that doesn't really have anything to do with SU's shitty scheduling in any case since Adult Swim is a separate entity from CN and thus their scheduling departments are completely separate too.

Regarding the surprise R&M premiere, that doesn't really have anything to do with SU's shitty scheduling in any case since Adult Swim is a separate entity from CN and thus their scheduling departments are completely separate too.

For Nielsen ratings, yes, but I highly doubt they aren't subject to the same overlords. There's way too much overlap in management and the practices we see to think otherwise.

Ruflux

Neo Member
For Nielsen ratings, yes, but I highly doubt they aren't subject to the same overlords. There's way too much overlap in management and the practices we see to think otherwise.

They share the same corporate overlords, but that's about it. They're run completely independently of one another and they're practically separate channels that just happen to share the same channel spot. That's why I don't think it's fair to attribute CN's weird scheduling issues to anything AS does, especially since Adult Swim's more controversial programming related decisions are usually very much deliberate dick moves.

Meanwhile, Cartoon Network's schedulers just seem to participate in black magic rituals that involve airing lots of TTG or something.

Leave the Samurai Jack OT; the stealth release was well-received anywhere the majority demographic wasn't solely there for Samurai Jack or Dragon Ball Super. Go anywhere those 2 shows are taken out of the equation, & you'll see nothing but praise.

That said, I do wish they would've shown Jack & Super if the intent was to rerun the episode every night this week, as well. But [as] April Fools premieres are usually part of a marathon, anyway.
I was fine with the release since it means I get to see the thing, it was just kind of shitty to do. Like, Not Without My Anus levels of dickery, April Fool's day joke or not.

I'm also never in that OT because I'm not a SJ fan. Actually dislike it.

They share the same corporate overlords, but that's about it. They're run completely independently of one another and they're practically separate channels that just happen to share the same channel spot. That's why I don't think it's fair to attribute CN's weird scheduling issues to anything AS does, especially since Adult Swim's more controversial programming related decisions are usually very much deliberate dick moves.

Meanwhile, Cartoon Network's schedulers just seem to participate in black magic rituals that involve airing lots of TTG or something.

I was more implying the other way around. AS had its own share of weird scheduling issues and crap (mostly around Venture Brothers, for me) but CN has almost never had a good schedule.

NEO0MJ

Same here. It's similar to what I felt regarding Adventure Time and TMNT in the later seasons, which ended with me dropping the shows.
Though I'm more like SapphiCine in that the story seems to be slowing down too much and sometimes repeating beats that we already went though. Poor schedule doesn't help, though.

I'm excited new gems are going to be introduced soon. I wonder if an Emerald will be one of them because the show has a serious lack of green gems.

Also, more diamond screen time hopefully equates to White Diamond being shown or introduced in some capacity. Although, would it be too soon to officially show WD since BD was finally revealed in the latest Stevenbomb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom