• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hupla

Man We really are a week away huh? Jeez

Steven Universe S3 |OT| Diamond is not Clod
Steven Universe S3 |OT| Where are we gonna put a star
Steven Universe S3 |OT| Currently heading into the Namek Arc

Zubz

Banned
I won't lie. With the title "Hit the Diamond," I was expecting something else than the obvious being a baseball-themed episode. However, I think it'd be hilarious if Jasper unintentionally knocks an airplane out of the sky with a single swing at the bat.

I really want "Hit the Diamond" to go down like this. I mean,
he's clearly addressing an antagonist, and the worry in his voice suggests this isn't just some human character being weird... Granted, at this point, it may actually be a Diamond

|OT| Diamond is Unbreakable

I don't know if we're allowed to have misleading OT titles after the "Hotline Miami 3" one, and seeing how DiU is still ongoing, but yo, I'm all for this.

zulux21

Wait this is season 3 starting? Feel so lost

Diamond is unbreakable is the best

yup season 1 first 52 eps
season 2 next 26 eps
season 3 26 eps
season 4 26 eps
season 5 26 eps

and that is all that we know is coming.

basically back when we had seasons 1-3 confirmed and all 52 eps we had the same number of future eps as we currently do with 5 confirmed seasons :p

also if we are going the jojo route I would actually go with
Diamond is (not) unbreakable
as clearly she can be broken :p

TheFlow

Banned
yup season 1 first 52 eps
season 2 next 26 eps
season 3 26 eps
season 4 26 eps
season 5 26 eps

and that is all that we know is coming.

basically back when we had seasons 1-3 confirmed and all 52 eps we had the same number of future eps as we currently do with 5 confirmed seasons :p

also if we are going the jojo route I would actually go with
Diamond is (not) unbreakable
as clearly she can be broken :p
Ahh thanks for clarification.
And yea that title works better

Permanently A

I swear to god I've seen the phrase "Diamond is Not Crash" before but now all I can find is Diamond is Unbreakable. Was it a Duwang sub or something?

hupla

I swear to god I've seen the phrase "Diamond is Not Crash" before but now all I can find is Diamond is Unbreakable. Was it a Duwang sub or something?
Yeah "Diamond is not crash" was how people where translating the part 4 name for awhile that's where my "Diamond is not Clod" suggestions comes from

Blues1990

|OT| Diamond is Unbreakable

I think it would be better if the title of the OT is something more along the lines of "Diamonds Are Unbreakable."

I really want "Hit the Diamond" to go down like this. I mean,
he's clearly addressing an antagonist, and the worry in his voice suggests this isn't just some human character being weird... Granted, at this point, it may actually be a Diamond.

I don't know, man.

Unless if Yellow Diamond is capable of shape-shifting her size to something more at a reasonable level, it seems more likely that it's Jasper. She is the only character in the series that Steven has not expressed some form of compassion with. If it wasn't her violent threats or intimidating stature, then it would be her incoherent fury.

Psxphile

PMed Scrafty to see if he was up to creating the new OT. And if not, to give us a heads up so that whoever wants to do it can avoid having to put it together last minute.

Raxus

Wonder if we should make another list of necessary episodes for S2. It is getting to a point where it is muddy on what is filler at this point.

Blues1990

Wonder if we should make another list of necessary episodes for S2. It is getting to a point where it is muddy on what is filler at this point.

I would like a list of essential Season 2 episodes, as I found the first guide to be extremely helpful when I was watching it the first time around. Of course, we have to wait until all the episodes from said season have been aired for television broadcast.

Psxphile

I probably wouldn't mind making another guide like the first one. However, from the feedback I've been seeing around the internet as the first guide was passed around I get the feeling most people don't agree that it's at all necessary, and they feel that people who want to watch the show and get caught up should start from the beginning and binge every single episode without fail.

And from a certain point of view, I have to agree: it's becoming increasingly pronounced that every episode will at some point be referenced again in the future in some way. As such, it's also becoming much less obvious which episodes are "necessary" and which should be considered optional: they all seem to matter at some point, in some way even if it's not readily apparent. Keystone Motel includes a brief ref to Cat Fingers ("The brushes feel weird on my fur."), of all things! How would you even know what Steven was talking about if you choose to skip Cat Fingers?

Of course, it was only ever a recommended or highlight list and not a "you have to watch only these episodes" list, and I included a disclaimer that it would be more beneficial to just watch every episode if you have the time. But you know how people are about these things, lol. All or nothing.

And from a certain point of view, I have to agree: it's becoming increasingly pronounced that every episode will at some point be referenced again in the future in some way. As such, it's also becoming much less obvious which episodes are "necessary" and which should be considered optional: they all seem to matter at some point, in some way even if it's not readily apparent. Keystone Motel includes a brief ref to Cat Fingers ("The brushes feel weird on my fur."), of all things! How would you even know what Steven was talking about if you choose to skip Cat Fingers?

Yeah, at one point I went through and tried to figure out which episodes are complete stand-alone filler, and...there's very few. "Say Uncle", sure. More recently, maybe "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies". But even seemingly one-off stuff like "Sadie's Song" or "Love Letters"/"Historical Friction" introduces or develops characters that will likely show up again later.

Psxphile

Garnet's Universe is probably the only "true" filler as it seemingly has little to do with anything else in the show. I guess you can say it's the first episode to truly show Steven and Garnet bonding, but you get more of that later. And you could say that it's trying to foreshadow Ruby and Sapphire through Garnet's animal friends Hopper and Hoppy that Steven "isn't ready to know about yet". Not really overt enough, though.

EDIT: even then calling it or any SU episode filler is questionable, since that's not how real filler works. "Filler" refers to story and/or arcs in adaptations (animated, for instance) that distances itself from the original work (comics or manga, for instance). SU the animated series *is* an original work, and by definition could not have filler in the traditional sense. But when people toss around the word filler, they ostensibly mean a story/plot that shares no relation to the greater work as whole, or refuses to continue the narrative from previous installments. They only exist in anime to prolong a series after they reached a point where they can no longer continue adapting the original work without compromise, until they reach a point when they can. That's not really a problem most animated shows in North America have to worry about.

Garnet's Universe is probably the only "true" filler as it seemingly has little to do with anything else in the show. I guess you can say it's the first episode to truly show Steven and Garnet bonding, but you get more of that later. And you could say that it's trying to foreshadow Ruby and Sapphire through Garnet's animal friends Hopper and Hoppy that Steven "isn't ready to know about yet". Not really overt enough, though.

EDIT: even then calling it or any SU episode filler is questionable, since that's not how real filler works. "Filler" refers to story and/or arcs in adaptations (animated, for instance) that distances itself from the original work (comics or manga, for instance). SU the animated series *is* an original work, and by definition could not have filler in the traditional sense. But when people toss around the word filler, they ostensibly mean a story/plot that shares no relation to the greater work as whole, or refuses to continue the narrative from previous installments. They only exist in anime to prolong a series after they reached a point where they can no longer continue adapting the original work without compromise, until they reach a point when they can. That's not really a problem most animated shows in North America have to worry about.

Garnet's Universe is also responsible for inspiring one of Garnet's new attacks: note that in Warp Tour she super-sizes her gauntlets to bust one of the warp pads, which she hadn't done prior - and also happened to occur immediately after Garnet's Universe.

zulux21

I don't see much need for a season 2 guide as pretty much everything is important in some way. Whether it furthers the main plot, or furthers character back story o_O

Psxphile

That spanish ad.... it doesn't say how they're airing the new eps but if the old post from Reddit is suposed to be believed they're going to air one new episode everyday. If true they'll have spoiled the entire Summer of Steven before we even get to see Barn Mates! :eek:

I can do it if Scrafty's unable to for any reason.

Wanted to get his input because he made the last two OTs but he hasn't posted on GAF for the last few days.

EDIT: Hm, looks like Same Old World will be the episode airing the week after Gem Drill/Super Watermelon Island and not Barn Mates, directly contradicting the Toonzone schedule posted last week.

kulapik

That spanish ad.... it doesn't say how they're airing the new eps but if the old post from Reddit is suposed to be believed they're going to air one new episode everyday. If true they'll have spoiled the entire Summer of Steven before we even get to see Barn Mates! :eek:

No, they air two episodes on saturday and sunday, I think. Not sure if it's only one or two.

Psxphile

From that spoilery ad:
that shot of Steven and Lapis flying over a city (Empire City, I'd bet), an episode titled "Same Old World"... is the whole episode going to be a riff on Aladdin!? I guess this is the episode where Steven tries to convince her to give Earth a chance.

lol

No, they air two episodes on saturday and sunday, I think. Not sure if it's only one or two.

Good to know. Shouldn't be too bad, then.

Kangi

Gumball just had a very overt Last of Us reference.

Pretty sure at least someone higher up working on that show is a Naughty Dog fan:

Vb02tPj.gif

Kangi

Watch season 1, skip 2, then watch 3 and 4. Season 4 is tops. Season 1 is meh.

I say skip season 1, skim 2, then watch 3 and 4.

Season 1's pretty different from the rest of the show, and season 2 re-introduces the characters, in a way. I mean, 2's not that great but at least it fits in with 3 and 4 better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom