• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STILL WAKES THE DEEP | First Look at Gameplay

Still Wakes the Deep is due to release in 2024 on PC, Xbox Series X|S, and PlayStation®5. It will also be available with Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass.

Still Wakes the Deep is a return to the first-person narrative horror genre from The Chinese Room, creator of critically acclaimed games such as Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Dear Esther, and the highly-anticipated Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2.

In Still Wakes the Deep, the player assumes the role of an off-shore oil rig worker, fighting for his life through a vicious storm, perilous surroundings, and the dark, freezing North Sea waters. All lines of communication have been severed. All exits are gone. All that remains is to face the unknowable horror that's come aboard.

More info from the Steam page of the game:

ABOUT THIS GAME​

STILL WAKES THE DEEP is a return to the first-person narrative horror genre for The Chinese Room, creator of critically acclaimed games such as Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, and Dear Esther.

You are an off-shore oil rig worker, fighting for your life through a vicious storm, perilous surroundings, and the dark, freezing North Sea waters. All lines of communication have been severed. All exits are gone. All that remains is to face the unknowable horror that’s come aboard.

SWTD_Gif_1smaller.gif

Search for your crew and help them survive if you can. Run, climb, and swim through the flooding corridors and storm-lashed outer decks. Face a terrifying, unrelenting foe. And pray that, one day, you get to see your family again.

The Chinese Room – with its reputation for world-class world-building, audio, writing, and acting – delivers a symphony of action, trepidation, tender emotions, and awe.

SWTD_Gif_2SMALLER.gif

LIVE THE HORROR​

An immersive disaster story aboard a stunningly-realised North Sea oil rig, starring an authentic cast of Scottish actors. Experience the beauty and ferocity of the sea as it rips apart one of humanity’s strongest structures and its steadfast crew.

SWTD_Gif_3smaller.gif

ESCAPE THE RIG​

No weapons. No powers. Just your wits and determination. Struggle for survival on an unstable oil rig, where one wrong step could be your last.

SWTD_Gif_4smaller.gif

FACE YOUR FEARS​

Something has turned your home into a nightmare, where the familiar becomes threatening, and where a noise in the dark fills you with dread. Resist the urge to turn back. Confront the unknown.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Looks and sounds very interesting. It seems they've improved on the excruciatingly slow movement of their previous games, which were otherwise enjoyable experiences.

I wonder if it'll feature now all too common run & hide sections, unlike their previous games? (EDIT: Well, two of them, excluding the Amnesia sequel) The 3rd GIF seems to imply so. If it will, that's going to be a deal-breaker, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Oh, okay, I thought this might be cool but with these guys involved, it's a hard pass.

Aye, they're literal "walking sims" with zero gameplay whatsoever (Dear Esther, Amnesia AMFP, Everybody's gone to the rapture).

Don't get me wrong, i love atmospheric stuff, it's just that i expect SOME kind of gameplay at the very least and not pressing forward on an analogue stick and the interaction button every now and then for the whole duration of a game.

Guess my GAF bros and gals are not that excited for this one 😔. I quite liked both games I've played from The Chinese Room (e.g. Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture), so I'll def be keeping an eye on this one.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Guess my GAF bros and gals are not that excited for this one 😔. I quite liked both games I've played from The Chinese Room (e.g. Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture), so I'll def be keeping an eye on this one.
I like walking sims but this developer in particular never made anything that I liked. They just take this idea to an extreme by literally having no gameplay whatsoever and it's just walking and listening to the plot. If I wanted to do that I'd watch a movie or something. At least I wouldn't be required to keep holding the play button on my remote.

How are devs still making walking sims when they can literally add a ton of gameplay features in their games? It was a shitty fad years ago, and it still is. At least Amnesia The Bunker pulled some risky moves with its gameplay and made it more immersive-sim like. Also The CHinese Room, yeah. Nah.

marjo

Haven't played too many walking sims, but I loved 'What remains of Edith Finch'. Is this going to be something like that?

Hunter 99

I read about this in edge magazine this year. I think it looks really good, I like the setting and although the gameplay might not be everyone's cup of tea I think the atmosphere will be tense and the narrative will definitely be interesting

Top Bottom