• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop! Is that poop on your lemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

It's fairly common for restaurant staffers to place a lemon slice on the rim of a beverage glass as a flavor enhancer or decorative garnish. But who knows whether these lemons have been handled using sanitary procedures? Anne LaGrange Loving, a professor of science at Passaic County Community College, decided to find out.

Loving began her investigation after she saw a waitress’ fingertips dip into her soda as the drink was being brought to her table. Although lemon juice is known to kill germs, Loving devised a study to determine whether lemon slices contain germs when they are served to customers.

Using sterile collection swabs, Loving took two samples from each of 76 lemons that were served in restaurants in North Jersey. Patrons normally start to drink a beverage moments after it is served, so samples were taken right away, before a sip was taken and before anyone at the table touched it. One swab was rubbed along the rind, while a second was rubbed along the pulp. The restaurants were unaware that she was doing this. Samples were then analyzed for microbes at a clinical microbiology laboratory.

A total of 25 different types of germs were found on 53 out of the 76 lemons that were sampled. Some were fecal in origin (either from dirty fingertips of the restaurant employees, or from meat-contaminated cutting boards and knives), while others were types commonly found in saliva, on the skin and in the environment.

One sample had six different microorganisms on it, three of which are found in fecal material. Although some lemon slices had germs either only on the rind or only on the pulp, 29 percent had germs on both sites. In 15 instances the germs on the pulp were completely different from those on the rind, indicating that the pulp had been in contact with a contaminated surface as or after it was sliced. Sometimes when more than one lemon was sampled during a single restaurant visit, different germs were found on each.

Although there have been no reported outbreaks of illnesses attributed to lemon slices in beverages, every microorganism that was recovered had the potential to cause a variety of human infections. Establishment of an infection would depend upon the numbers and types of germs involved, the general health and age of the person and whether the person had chapped lips or a cold sore on the lips or gums.

People who love to have lemons with their drinks — especially those who are not in the best of health — might want to check out the sanitary practices of the restaurants they visit. At home, people can simply wash their lemons well with plenty of running water and soap to remove any protective wax that might have been added, then slice them using clean hands, a clean knife and a clean cutting board.

The study did not investigate other beverage garnishes such as olives, celery and limes. Alcoholic beverages were not tested. While alcohol is known to be antibacterial, studies would have to determine whether a beer, glass of wine or mixed drink would contain sufficient alcohol to kill germs quickly. Previous studies have shown, for example, that the communion wine left in a chalice after all parishioners have taken a sip is loaded with bacteria.

The full report of the investigation is in the December 2007 issue of the Journal of Environmental Health.

Story here

Ewwwww. Posted because I know GAF loves Poop Stories.

Vgamer

I often wonder who cuts these lemons before they put them in the drinks. I wonder if they just use the same dirty knives that they use to cut raw chicken.

X26

Banned
There's a ton of germs and crap (litterally) on everything, especially food. Nice of the article not to mention how insignificant the amounts were. This is like a geek tabloid (especially condiering the tool ent around to restaurant swabbing shit)

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Theres germs on everything. So long as theres no obvious poop stains on your lemons you'll be fine.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is why we have an immune system.

ifmivb.jpg

takotchi

When I worked at a restaurant, we had a tool that looked kind of like some sort of medieval torture device. You cut the two end off the lemon, stuck it on a spike, and then slammed down a weight that pushed the lemon through blades to make it into 6 pieces.

The things are a royal pain in the ass to clean, though, because the blades are *extremely* sharp and there are little crevices everywhere. However, with the right equipment, it is doable so... I suspect the uncleanliness probably comes more from the servers touching the lemons when they put them into the drinks... or customers in our case, since we cut them for a self-serve condiment bar.

aoi tsuki

Ugh, i just got an email from someone regarding this, with a new report video attached.

stupid email said:
Please share this with everyone you know and love. This means take your own lemon when you dine out.

Peace and Love,
[name removed]
:lol

bjork

This is why, when I become ruler of the earth, I'm only gonna drink things that are given to me in sealed bottles.

aoi tsuki

bjork said:
This is why, when I become ruler of the earth, I'm only gonna drink things that are given to me in sealed bottles.
It only takes one smearing of fecal matter on the sealing machine to infect an entire batch. You can't escape fecal matter.

bjork

aoi tsuki said:
It only takes one smearing of fecal matter on the sealing machine to infect an entire batch. You can't escape fecal matter.

Then um... I'll become immune to it somehow. Other than eating it.

Vgamer said:
I often wonder who cuts these lemons before they put them in the drinks. I wonder if they just use the same dirty knives that they use to cut raw chicken.

Most places have these little devices that cut the lemon into eight little pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom