• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Beta 2 Thread: Welcome, future 21007s! Now on PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarna

^Ken's optimal combo from cr.MP changes when he's in v-trigger btw. cr. MP, b. MP/cr. HP(on CH) xx LK Tatsu, HP DP or MP DP into EX DP/xx Super are better.

There is far less point-blank pressure in this game to begin with so I don't see the lack of combo/linking variety as a big deal. Almost everything that can happen returns both players to neutral and you have to make unsafe decisions to really mount any meaningful advantages.

^Ken's optimal combo from cr.MP changes when he's in v-trigger btw. cr. MP, b. MP/cr. HP(on CH), LK Tatsu, HP DP or MP DP into EX DP/Super are better.

There is far less point-blank pressure in this game to begin with so I don't see the lack of combo/linking variety as a big deal. Almost everything that can happen returns both players to neutral and you have to make unsafe decisions to really mount any meaningful advantages.
Yah I should have said optimal without V-trigger. I kind of wish Ken's run combos allowed linking of mp hp, instead of making that v-trigger exclusive. I think that was in the build before beta 2 (i recall max saying that maybe?)

Makki

As more of a spectator than a player since I had no chance in doing long combos in SFIV, I find this change odd. Removing the ability to have long combos doesn't benefit anyone in the long term since it seems tailored to please those who are not willing to invest time into bettering their game, and removes the depth that would make the long term players stay (guess v-trigger shenanigans rule now). I would argue that with shorter movesets it will be a game that wont inspire the same amount of hype SFIV did in tournaments with the 1 pixel comeback heroes and whatnot.

cackhyena

I'm the same way too, I like multiple combo options otherwise I get pretty bored doing the same punish or combo. In beta 2 Ken only had a couple optimal combos (not in the corner), and I felt bored doing mp, mp, hp xx tatsu. I hope they change his target combo to not launch the opponent so he could go light tatsu to srk..

I thought it was strange at first, but I dug the differentiation between him and Ryu in that area. Linking the launcher into ex tatsu is fun. I didn't spend too much time with him, though.

As more of a spectator than a player since I had no chance in doing long combos in SFIV, I find this change odd. Removing the ability to have long combos doesn't benefit anyone in the long term since it seems tailored to please those who are not willing to invest time into bettering their game, and removes the depth that would make the long term players stay (guess v-trigger shenanigans rule now). I would argue that with shorter movesets it will be a game that wont inspire the same amount of hype SFIV did in tournaments with the 1 pixel comeback heroes and whatnot.

The depth was never in the combos. Comebacks and hype existed before SFIV.

Swarna

Long combos kill pacing. Execution for the sake of execution does not create "depth". The exception is when you can vary your combo for different types of advantages like Karsticles mentioned (though that's "breadth" not depth, technically). I think what some are failing to keep in mind here is that SFV's design goals are very different from every other fighting game out there right now. Everything kind of forces you back to the neutral sooner than later so having too many options for stuff like better oki or reset potential kind of goes against this.

Combos are for the most part stuff that gets figured out in a month. It's setups and overall tech that keeps players going. Also being able to do combos does not make you a good player, it's merely an aspect of it that can be ignored completely depending of the character.

People don't play stuff like ST, 3S or Melee to this day because of combos.

cackhyena

I'm only okay at SF because I can decently read players. I was never super technical. I never saw the need for FADC extensions. It's flashy, but with damage scaling, it dragged things out.

Skilletor

People have been complaining for years about the number of links and difficulty of combos in SF4, though.

Also Combos do not equal depth.

SF4 is THE ONLY SF game, bar Vism combos, that long combos are the rule and not the exception.

People have been complaining for years about the number of links and difficulty of combos in SF4, though.

Also Combos do not equal depth.

SF4 is THE ONLY SF game, bar Vism combos, that long combos are the rule and not the exception.
What about my example on the last page?

I think combo variation, but not combo length, adds depth.

Skilletor

What about my example on the last page?

I think combo variation, but not combo length, adds depth.

I think people will just need to learn how to confirm from one hit, which is pretty easy in SF5 with very lenient cancel times, instead of relying on being able to from s.mp. Instead of just poking with s.mp, your example means that people will now have to learn when to appropriately use other buttons.

I personally don't think anybody should be able to link into a c.hk from any normal button and am super glad he can't anymore.

Looking at the thread on srk, and it looks like he can still combo s.mp into c.hp, which should mean he can still link c.mk. Right? So the only link that was taken away, from this particular button, was c.hk.

So...I'm not sure what we're even talking about since it's still a super good button. lol

I see he lost some other stuff, but since nobody is talking about that, I don't understand the conversation.

I think people will just need to learn how to confirm from one hit, which is pretty easy in SF5 with very lenient cancel times, instead of relying on being able to from s.mp. Instead of just poking with s.mp, your example means that people will now have to learn when to appropriately use other buttons.

I personally don't think anybody should be able to link into a c.hk from any button and am super glad he can't anymore.

Looking at the thread on srk, and it looks like he can still combo s.mp into c.hp, which should mean he can still link c.mk. Right? So the only link that was taken away, from this particular button, was c.hk.

So...I'm not sure what we're even talking about since it's still a super good button. lol

I see he lost some other stuff, but since nobody is talking about that, I don't understand the conversation.
My apologies for the ambiguity. I meant that I think the situation below is clearly an addition of depth through increased combo variety:
MP -> MK - best frame advantage on hit, ideal for command grab resets
MP -> HP -> Special 1- maximum damage
MP -> MP -> Special 1- maximum stun
MP -> MP -> Special 2 - best for screen pushback (tatsu, etc.)
MP -> HK - hard knockdown, ideal for oki

I wasn't going for the Bison example in particular. Though, in response to what you said:
c.MP is crazy good - no argument there. Not sure what the frame data is like now, but apparently it was +1 on block in Beta 1 - wow!

c.MP couldn't link into anything non-special; as far as I know, it still can't. s.MP can now link into c.MK, but there isn't a reason to ever do it.

Skilletor

My apologies for the ambiguity. I meant that I think the situation below is clearly an addition of depth through increased combo variety:

I wasn't going for the Bison example in particular. Though, in response to what you said:
c.MP is crazy good - no argument there. Not sure what the frame data is like now, but apparently it was +1 on block in Beta 1 - wow!

c.MP couldn't link into anything non-special; as far as I know, it still can't. s.MP can now link into c.MK, but there isn't a reason to ever do it.

Are we talking about Ryu or Bison?

For some reason, I thought Ryu, but I think I'm wrong...

I have no idea what they're doing with Bison. Haven't played him much.

GorillaJu

I'm just shit at explaining, I guess. I don't want the kind of extensions fadc gave us or anything like that. An example was the crouching lp or lk to a standing lp that Ryu had and was taken away. It was simple, not optimal, but an alternate choice from what's available now. Yes, it's small, but I like having those small differences.

I do like that they are keeping combos shorter. I just liked the couple extra things Ryu did in beta 1. I didn't feel like it was anything op. I'll just hope small things like that are added back. *shrug*

Well I don't disagree with you in that sense, it feels shitty when things you are used to get taken away in newer iterations. But at this stage I think it's too early to say that it's not good for the game, because we're still in beta and things are always getting tweaked. The LP links might end up back in there in the end and if not, we just have to forget they were ever there in the first place because it was all just a testing phase anyway.

One thing that they need to make sure they get right is to not limit options so much that you don't feel powerful. It's a key part of games of all genres IMO, and it's something SF4 lacked because of how low the damage was for many characters.

cackhyena

Well I don't disagree with you in that sense, it feels shitty when things you are used to get taken away in newer iterations. But at this stage I think it's too early to say that it's not good for the game, because we're still in beta and things are always getting tweaked. The LP links might end up back in there in the end and if not, we just have to forget they were ever there in the first place because it was all just a testing phase anyway.

One thing that they need to make sure they get right is to not limit options so much that you don't feel powerful. It's a key part of games of all genres IMO, and it's something SF4 lacked because of how low the damage was for many characters.
Agreed on everything said.

Are we talking about Ryu or Bison?

For some reason, I thought Ryu, but I think I'm wrong...

I have no idea what they're doing with Bison. Haven't played him much.

This:
MP -> MK - best frame advantage on hit, ideal for command grab resets
MP -> HP -> Special 1- maximum damage
MP -> MP -> Special 1- maximum stun
MP -> MP -> Special 2 - best for screen pushback (tatsu, etc.)
MP -> HK - hard knockdown, ideal for oki
Is just a hypothetical about a non-existent character to prove a point: that combo variety adds depth.

The rest of my post was about Bison, so I guess we were talking about different stuff - haha.

SephLuis

This:

Is just a hypothetical about a non-existent character to prove a point: that combo variety adds depth.

The rest of my post was about Bison, so I guess we were talking about different stuff - haha.

If someone had that many options out of MP, it would be another nightmare to balance the game right. It's the case of one button being too good. If I were the target, I would lose position or a ton of life or a reset.

What I have seen for both betas is that each character will have this, but with a lot more restrictions around it.

Want a high damage combo ? You will need a crush counter in the beginning
A high stun ? Jump in
Screen pushback ? You need to be really close to them

Also instead of starting with a single button (in your example, MP) they are making it to use the advantage of different inputs.

DR2K

Banned
Except Capcom is testing the balance changes. What, you think they just decide numbers in a vaccuum without playtesting?

Absolutely. Cammys standing clHK in SFIV. Feel free to justify it being negative enough (on hit) to get punished by ultras.

Explain why Cammy lost her HP target combo and it got replaced by a weaker MP one. And the new MP losing its forward hitbox. This move was neither broken, overpowered, nor required such a drastic change.

People are giving Capcom much more credit than they deserve when it comes to balance.

People are giving Capcom much more credit than they deserve when it comes to balance.

Lol, actually, no one gives Capcom credit for anything ever.

They've revolutionized the fighting game genre with hugely influential and financially successful fighting games AT LEAST twice over the past 25 years. And, the games that weren't massive financial successes at the time have grown into beloved classics that still get played religiously: http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/12/coo...3rd-strike-competition-returns-on-january-10/

But hey, Cammy's close HK was punishable on hit in SF4, so I guess it was all just dumb luck.

"Is just a hypothetical about a non-existent character to prove a point: that combo variety adds depth.

The rest of my post was about Bison, so I guess we were talking about different stuff - haha."

What kirblar said. In your hypothetical situation why would anyone use any button other than MP? That doesn't really add options, especially outside of combos. You'd just use MP as your only footsie tool because why not? You get everything off of it. You're so focused on combo options that you forgot about the (more important) game outside of combos.

DR2K

Banned
Lol, actually, no one gives Capcom credit for anything ever.

They've revolutionized the fighting game genre with hugely influential and financially successful fighting games AT LEAST twice over the past 25 years. And, the games that weren't massive financial successes at the time have grown into beloved classics that still get played religiously: http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/12/coo...3rd-strike-competition-returns-on-january-10/

But hey, Cammy's close HK was punishable on hit in SF4, so I guess it was all just dumb luck.

I'm only talking about balance inconsistencies. Not sure what the hell you're going on about.

"Is just a hypothetical about a non-existent character to prove a point: that combo variety adds depth.

The rest of my post was about Bison, so I guess we were talking about different stuff - haha."

What kirblar said. In your hypothetical situation why would anyone use any button other than MP? That doesn't really add options, especially outside of combos. You'd just use MP as your only footsie tool because why not? You get everything off of it. You're so focused on combo options that you forgot about the (more important) game outside of combos.
Why would I use MP as my only footsie tool if other tools have more range, come out faster, lead to bigger damage, or have better advantage on block? Doesn't this question answer itself? I am only talking about link potential here. There are so many other ways to make a move strong than to give it good combo potential. Obviously, every character needs a balanced set of footsie tools for various situations, but you can have that AND a good set of link options, and that increases depth.

And I wasn't listing a full moveset here. Other moves would have advantages in different ways, like heavy attacks being crush counters for even bigger damage.

The ONLY point I was making is that having combo variety adds depth to the game. And the simple fact is that if you only have one option to link off of MP, there is less to consider, and thus less depth, than if you have multiple links off of MP. Saying something like "MP would be too good" is absurd, because I haven't listed a full moveset. This could be a set of links for Dhalsim, for example, and of course the rest of his normals will get a lot of use for their range.

I haven't forgotten anything.

"Why would I use MP as my only footsie tool if other tools have more range, come out faster, lead to bigger damage, or have better advantage on block? Doesn't this question answer itself? I am only talking about link potential here. There are so many other ways to make a move strong than to give it good combo potential. Obviously, every character needs a balanced set of footsie tools for various situations, but you can have that AND a good set of link options, and that increases depth.

And I wasn't listing a full moveset here. Other moves would have advantages in different ways, like heavy attacks being crush counters for even bigger damage. "

If your other moves have more range, come out faster, lead to bigger damage or have better advantage on block, then why would MP having all of those combo options even matter? It sounds like a terrible move that no one would use in lieu of getting more range, faster start up, more damage, or better advantage. This is of course ignoring the fact that if MP can link into those all of those options, it's highly likely that those other, better moves would be able to link into whatever other options as well.

If your other moves do all of those things, then why should a single move to link to do all of those things as well? Furthermore, the specials you combo into tend to have the same utility that your example links have already such as a shoto choosing between Tatsu, Fireball, or DP to end a combo with.

"Why would I use MP as my only footsie tool if other tools have more range, come out faster, lead to bigger damage, or have better advantage on block? Doesn't this question answer itself? I am only talking about link potential here. There are so many other ways to make a move strong than to give it good combo potential. Obviously, every character needs a balanced set of footsie tools for various situations, but you can have that AND a good set of link options, and that increases depth.

And I wasn't listing a full moveset here. Other moves would have advantages in different ways, like heavy attacks being crush counters for even bigger damage. "

If your other moves do all of those things, then why should a single move to link to do all of those things as well? Furthermore, the specials you combo into tend to have the same utility that your example links have already such as a shoto choosing between Tatsu, Fireball, or DP to end a combo with.
Like I said in the original post, it was just a rough and ready example of how more combo options can lead to increased depth. It wasn't intended to be viewed as a full character in the neutral, just a set of sample links.

Some specials have that potential, but most characters, AFAIK, don't have a special that leads to untechable knockdown, and they usually aren't good for resets.

The link set could be completely different and have different offerings. Maybe a good set of target combos or command normals provide the variety instead, for example.

I am not sure what your point is in the last sentence of your first edited paragraph. There is an "or" there, so it should be obvious why there should be so many different reasons to choose other moves alongside the theoretical MP, which might have one or more of those traits as well.

Dremark

Banned
reading this thread is fun. It's like reading Shoryuken back in 08.

Yeah I could have sworn SFIV was supposed to appeal to new comers and not have a focus on long combos to make that happen.

Didn't end up working out that way. Really people should just relax and see how it turns out.

ElFly

Deep combo variety would necessitate some things to change. During gameplay things happen so quickly that it is hard to decide on the best combo to use, so giving an spectrum of combos with different functions will be a wasted effort, given that most of the time people will decide to use the one that takes more life, even on the pro level. Consider that the pros are already practicing how to do the one optimum combo without missing. Lowering execution would help them learn more combos, but even then there is a force towards concentrating on a single, best combo, and this force is simply not-failing-during-real-matches.

To make people really consider the non most-damaging-combos, the most damaging combo would need to be terrible in every other respect, not just slightly worse.

So we'd need to have a most damaging string of attacks that:

-left the victim on a safe reset where he doesn't need to guess what the comboer will do next
-does not push the victim too much or at all, so combos that push people in exchange for less damage are noticeable better at this
-does almost no stun

( This is because in Street Fighter, damage is overpoweringly the most decisive variable. Unlike chess, it is rare to see people take damage for a better position. Even if we all know that the corner is a scary scary place, the game does not gives us a way to make a gambit and eat some damage in exchange for cornering the opponent )

This is kind of a tall order, and without huge changes to the game, most combos that do high damage will either do a lot of stun too, push the victim a lot too, and leave the comboer in a better position WRT mind games afterwards. And this considers that the designers stop other more damaging combos from appearing, because they might be good at stun, positioning and knockdowns. It is also limiting since every character needs to have a finisher that does not move the opponent too much on hit. I can imagine designing Ken like this, if we put Shinryuken in the game, but making every character like this would hurt variety. Even making only some combo oriented characters like this would hurt variety.

Also you gotta consider that under this scenario, it is very possible people would settle on a combo that pushed the victim a lot, as long as it did 90% of the damage of the best combo available. The design would need to be p specific on limiting space vs damage and SF in gral ties both pretty hard. Think of how many high damage attacks end up launching the opponent away. They all would need to change into attacks that, for drama, threw the character directly upwards, or just left the victim reeling there, like counter hits, but without a combo afterwards.

Maybe we are asking too much of the designers here.

"Like I said in the original post, it was just a rough and ready example of how more combo options can lead to increased depth."

Then it's kind of pointless? it's just some arbitrary moveset with no other consideration for a character's other tools. Taken by itself it contradicts your argument as a single move with that much potential utility would most certainly not "increase depth." And really, using the term depth with no agreed upon definition is only going to lead to endless debate as everyone's definition of what depth entails in Street Fighter will vary.

cackhyena

Deep combo variety would necessitate some things to change, to reward knowing which combo to apply where; certain V-Triggers do this to an extent.

Distance comes to mind as something that should be more important, for example, Ken's -> + MP (or was it <-?) has short range, so maybe at certain distances it'd be better to use another combo.

But some things, like jump ins, limit the use of combos that start at a longer distance , and maybe it is not that great an idea to give players a way to convert into big damage a far away hit.

Something else that could add to combo variety is if certain combos did more life damage and others did more stun, right now both seem pretty correlated. Maybe it'd need a change in how damage scales to be noticeable.
Yeah, it's back mp for Ken. Proximity does matter. The combo they took out for Ryu from cr lk/lp to st lp>mp was very situational, but I appreciated it being there. You had to be in that ass to use it. Basically, I was doing empty jump ins, or testing my luck on their wake up to apply it. Was it optimal? Nah. But it was a fun link to the target combo when you could do it. It didn't even seem guaranteed to come out when you were close enough every time. I don't know if that was lag or me not being up to snuff. Anyway, I appreciated the variety it gave. I just don't get the need to take away something like that. But we'll see how it all shakes out by release.

"Like I said in the original post, it was just a rough and ready example of how more combo options can lead to increased depth."

Then it's kind of pointless? it's just some arbitrary moveset with no other consideration for a character's other tools. Taken by itself it contradicts your point, as a single move with that much utility would most certainly not "increase depth." And really, using the term depth with no agreed upon definition is only going to lead to endless debate as everyone's definition of what depth entails in Street Fighter will vary.
I feel like I clearly showed how this is wrong in my last post. You don't need to know the full moveset. Depth is the number of considerations you have to make before hitting a button. If you add more links, you add more to consider, and thus depth is increased. How good MP isn't even part of the equation, because MP isn't the point. The point is that if you have two games, and one has one link off of MP, and another has 3 different link options with various pros/cons off of MP, the second game is deeper. You don't need a full moveset to make that comparison, because it isn't about that.

Skilletor

I feel like I clearly showed how this is wrong in my last post. You don't need to know the full moveset. Depth is the number of considerations you have to make before hitting a button. If you add more links, you add more to consider, and thus depth is increased. How good MP isn't even part of the equation, because MP isn't the point. The point is that if you have two games, and one has one link off of MP, and another has 3 different link options with various pros/cons off of MP, the second game is deeper. You don't need a full moveset to make that comparison, because it isn't about that.

If, in your example, the mp is so good that I don't need to use other buttons, then it isn't deeper because you've made other options obsolete.

It's also impossible to say that a game with more combo options is deeper in this imaginary scenario. It's like saying that Tekken is deeper because it has more strings than vf without considering anything else.

Context is important, especially for this conversation.

"I feel like I clearly showed how this is wrong in my last post. You don't need to know the full moveset. Depth is the number of considerations you have to make before hitting a button. If you add more links, you add more to consider, and thus depth is increased. How good MP isn't even part of the equation, because MP isn't the point. The point is that if you have two games, and one has one link off of MP, and another has 3 different link options with various pros/cons off of MP, the second game is deeper. You don't need a full moveset to make that comparison, because it isn't about that."

In mythical game land where there is only one move and eveything revolves around that, sure. But that's not SF or most fighting games out there, so the point is moot?

In real game land, If you believe that depth is the number of considerations you have to make before hitting a button, then considering what button would best serve you for the situation you're trying to create would be a big factor.

"I feel like I clearly showed how this is wrong in my last post. You don't need to know the full moveset. Depth is the number of considerations you have to make before hitting a button. If you add more links, you add more to consider, and thus depth is increased. How good MP isn't even part of the equation, because MP isn't the point. The point is that if you have two games, and one has one link off of MP, and another has 3 different link options with various pros/cons off of MP, the second game is deeper. You don't need a full moveset to make that comparison, because it isn't about that."

In mythical game land where there is only one move and eveything revolves around that, sure. But that's not SF or most fighting games out there, so the point is moot?

In real game land, If you believe that depth is the number of considerations you have to make before hitting a button, then considering what button would best serve you for the situation you're trying to create would be a big factor.

If, in your example, the mp is so good that I don't need to use other buttons, then it isn't deeper because you've made other options obsolete.

It's also impossible to say that a game with more combo options is deeper in this imaginary scenario. It's like saying that Tekken is deeper because it has more strings than vf without considering anything else.

Context is important, especially for this conversation.
Tekken vs. VF isn't a valid example, because I am not saying the game with more combo variety is deeper than a completely different game. I am saying that if you have two of the exact same game, but one has more valid combo options off of a hit, that game is deeper by default. Getting tired of the straw men.

Look, someone said that more combo variety doesn't increase depth. I showed that more combo variety does increase depth through additional considerations. The other buttons don't matter, because I am not creating two examples between a full moveset, just one set of links. If it's really hard to understand, just slap this basic example on Ryu:

In Beta 1, Ryu could link s.MP to c.HK for a hard knockdown, but this did significantly less damage than his other combo options like the target combo or s.MP, c.MP, special. You have to weigh the value of a free mix up vs. guaranteed extra damage and make a decision.

In Beta 2, s.MP to c.HK was removed. There is one less link to consider now. Ryu has no other untechable options to consider, so he will just go for max damage based on willingness to burn meter.

There, now you have the context of a full moveset, even though it's completely irrelevant. Tell me how Beta 2 Ryu isn't less deep than Beta 1 Ryu, and pretend that no other changes were made. This is the only difference to consider. This is also a real change that occurred, so it has clear relevance.

Skilletor

It wasn't a hard knockdown.

He can link almost every other button from his s.mp. Allowing him to link a c.hk because he landed a mp was really silly. You've created a situation where Ryu is constantly on the offensive with amazing buttons and a parry. It seems like the kind of situations they're trying to avoid having, the kind we see in a lot of other sf games. Which, I assume, is why they changed it.

It wasn't a hard knockdown.

He can link almost every other button from his s.mp. Allowing him to link a c.hk because he landed a mp was really silly. You've created a situation where Ryu is constantly on the offensive with amazing buttons and a parry. It seems like the kind of situations they're trying to avoid having. Which, I assume, is why they changed it.
Aren't all sweeps hard knockdown? Or just throws? I thought they removed it to prevent vortex play. Now the nerf is confusing to me. Tech the sweep and move on, yah?

Regardless, if you take the case I created as bring factual, I think my point is clear cut.

"Regardless, if you take the case I created as bring factual, I think my point is clear cut."

But it's not factual. And even if you could combo into a hard knockdown (like you can in SF4), it's a net negative on the game just like the hard knockdown vortex set play that plagued SF4 is a negative on that game. So yes, in one case it could be said that you've added some depth in your specific situation, but it also removes quite a bit by leading to the exact same problems that exist in SF4. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Zissou

I feel like combo options can clearly add depth (though more combos does not automatically mean more depth). For example, with Chun, if I have full meter and I’m hitting someone with cr.LP st.MP cr.MK I can choose to cancel into heavy legs, ex legs, or super. They expend different amounts of resources and give different rewards (ending in heavy legs does the least damage and returns the game to a neutral situation, ex legs gives better damage, corner carry, and a knockdown at the expense of a bar, and CA does the most damage but expends all my bar). Having the different options tests the player’s valuation skills.

edit: grammar

"Regardless, if you take the case I created as bring factual, I think my point is clear cut."

But it's not factual. And even if you could combo into a hard knockdown (like you can in SF4), it's a net negative on the game just like the hard knockdown vortex set play that plagued SF4 is a negative on that game. So yes, in one case it could be said that you've added some depth in your specific situation, but it also removes quite a bit by leading to the exact same problems that exist in SF4. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
You can replace it with something else, then. Damage vs. Screen Pushback. It is still an increase in depth. I can agree that oki situations remove depth by limiting player control. That's why I wish we had more fighters where every combo ended in the neutral being reset.

"You can replace it with something else, then. Damage vs. Screen Pushback. It is still an increase in depth. I can agree that oki situations remove depth by limiting player control. That's why I wish we had more fighters where every combo ended in the neutral being reset."

Doesn't this particular example still exist, though? Ryu can still choose to end a combo with Fierce DP for a little more damage or Tatsu for corner carry. Your initial posts on this subject were about *links* though and there being less link combo options. You've morphed from that original argument into this current debate about how more combo options make for a deeper game. However, it's completely tangential to what people originally took issue with, which was your complaint about how some links have been removed from Beta 1 because the example options you gave (damage, pushback, stun) still exist in the game.

When you consider that the example options you previously listed still exist, you still haven't sufficiently answered the previous poster when they asked why you want more links.

"You can replace it with something else, then. Damage vs. Screen Pushback. It is still an increase in depth. I can agree that oki situations remove depth by limiting player control. That's why I wish we had more fighters where every combo ended in the neutral being reset."

Doesn't this particular example still exist, though? Ryu can still choose to end a combo with Fierce DP for a little more damage or Tatsu for corner carry. Your initial posts on this subject were about *links* though and there being less link combo options. You've morphed from that original argument into this current debate about how more combo options make for a deeper game. However, it's completely tangential to what people originally took issue with, which was your complaint about how some links have been removed from Beta 1 because the example options you gave (damage, pushback, stun) still exist in the game.

When you consider that the example options you previously listed still exist, you still haven't sufficiently answered the previous poster when they asked why you want more links.
My initial post was absolutely NOT about links. It was about Capcom listening to fan feedback on a variety of topics.

Then, someone said that combo variety doesn't add to depth. I showed that it can. That argument was independent of the discussion about actual changes made to the game. In that regard, I said I was dismayed by the removal of combos in general, not just links. I also gave an example of a combo that was removed from Beta 1 to Beta 2. Bison can no longer Psycho Blast off of c.MP due to a range nerf, so he lost his choice of pressure vs. pushback.

I feel like, now, you are trying to make me argue for a position I never took, which is that there are, specifically, links we HAVE lost that made the game less deep. I argued for combined links and combos being lost, and I showed that with the Bison example a page or so ago. I do think the Bison nerf demonstrates a loss of depth, even if it isn't a link.

My ORIGINAL point was that Capcom should listen to the overwhelming attitude toward certain changes in the game, and I listed the loss of links and combos as among those changes. I pointed to Bison for an example of this.

Separately, someone claimed that link variability adds no depth to a game. I showed that it can with a theoretical example. I was speaking to a general case regarding combo potential, not specifically to SFV. If you aren't satisfied with the theoretical MP case, then we're at an impass, because I think it demonstrates the case clearly. At some point, when someone says they aren't convinced by your argument, you just have to say "Ok then" and move on. That is where I am now.

Anyway, I feel I have succeeded in defending my positions aside from attempts to pidgeon hole me into an argument I never intended to make. I don't know SFV links well enough to know whether we ACTUALLY lost depth via lost links. I tried to drum up the Ryu sweep example to appease you, but it was a poor example based on misinformation. I main Bison, and he hasn't lost any links, just the Psycho Blast special ender. Zissou mains Chun-li, the link queen right now, and he might know specific examples I do not.

Anyway, I just wanted to make it clear that you have the morphology of the conversation backwards. I didn't bring up links and move on to general combos. I started with general combos, and others shifted it toward links, which I responded to.

Hopefully that brings the conversation to a conclusion. At least, I feel it is concluded on my end, and I have nothing new to contribute to the discussion right now.

Manbig

As far as I'm concerned, the less that this game is like Link Fighter 4, the better. I also hope that the damage stays very high across the board.

Absolutely. Cammys standing clHK in SFIV. Feel free to justify it being negative enough (on hit) to get punished by ultras.

Explain why Cammy lost her HP target combo and it got replaced by a weaker MP one. And the new MP losing its forward hitbox. This move was neither broken, overpowered, nor required such a drastic change.

It's simple, not every move needs to be good and useful. You don't know what clHK could do if good - I can imagine it considering it can anti air people.

As for her target combo, because it was free, riskless damage. Cammy's TC did like 20% linking off a frame trappy move with 3 heavy attacks on it's own and you could easily confirm into super out of it for 50% and who knows what people would find with Vtrigger and what not.

Do I really need to explain why Capcom doesn't want Cammy having a strong anti air normal that also doubles down as combo fodder for big damage? They want you using the TC by itself and bMP as an anti air, not that hard to grasp. You don't know what kind of frame data the thing had to say it wasn't broken.

We give Capcom credit because they earned it, specially when Dimps managed to balance games with over 40 characters. Cammy is nowhere near bad in SF4 or this game, but feel free to keep thinking you know better than them because she doesn't have every tool in the shed.

I wonder priority will be handle better. The outcome of command throws are done randomly if both players do the moves at the exact same time. Then there are others like Decapre who can land a jab sting after a unsafe rapid dagger against another Decapre who tries to counter it with Jab Sting a half second earlier in the recovery.

Caj814

Lowkey best version of SFV

Wish they expanded off of this version instead of dialing it all the way back. Only thing I really didn't care for was the OTG's.

Haven't seen it since the original release, but yeah they really got rid of quite a few things compared to where it's at now.

Chun-Li having extended air move properties and juggles, having her grounded flip kick and it launching. Hazanshu still being fully there and being able to follow up after her CA. That's not even including her old V-trigger properties.

Theory fighter V going on here I see...think I'm gonna sit this one out and just enjoy the ride. Got way too involved with frame data, optimal combos, matchup gameplans etc...that SF became a part time job. This time,I'm just gonna enjoy the game and play...

Haven't seen it since the original release, but yeah they really got rid of quite a few things compared to where it's at now.

Chun-Li having extended air move properties and juggles, having her grounded flip kick and it launching. Hazanshu still being fully there and being able to follow up after her CA. That's not even including her old V-trigger properties.

The double fireball in V-Trigger had to go for sure, but I'd like if her Ex fireball stayed like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom