• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yes DF posted a video about Netcode causing fps drop.

People really are clueless about what they are defending.

That video was posted one day after the game launched. Has there been any systematic testing done more recently? I'm not doubting DF's methodology, but obviously a lot has changed in the last 11 months.

Yes DF posted a video about Netcode causing fps drop.

People really are clueless about what they are defending.

No, I mean, I remember the article. Their reasoning was from another developer using GGPO (which, SFV does not, but I guess it's something similar) making an estimated guess as to if it's linked.

Offline performance is great on PS4, but online can see frame-rate drops appear. In fact, replay footage from Street Fighter 5 compared to the same action captured during actual gameplay highlights a difference - suggesting that the netcode is causing issues for console gamers. Now, the funny thing is that on PC, we don't see these problems. Well, thanks to Charles Roman of Radiant Entertainment, we may well have an explanation.

"I work as a software engineer on Rising Thunder, using GGPO, a rollback based netcode solution similar to what SF5 does (we also use Unreal Engine 4)," he says. "The thing about online performance is that it is dependent on the ping, due to the fact that rollback netcode solutions will take input from a frame that has previously happened (up to some predetermined limit, in our case eight frames) and re-simulate those frames in between. This can possibly be taxing on the CPU as it has to re-simulate multiple frames, in a frame usually dedicated to only one frame in the case of say a replay. If they have not done a good job of optimising this code path, it can cause this difference between online/offline play, and will even be more significant in a higher latency game."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-street-fighter-5-face-off

That could be more or less true, but on launch and without more extensive testing and research, it stands as an estimated guess based on Capcom's (admittedly) horrible infrastructure. And without further testing, knowing more about Capcom's online service, and the bevy of patches dump on our heads, it's still hard to tell if that's the case currently, or if it's a completely separate issue.

Not saying this is right or wrong, but it's almost a year later, so more information would be required to pinpoint the correct issue.

That video was posted one day after the game launched. Has there been any systematic testing done more recently? I'm not doubting DF's methodology, but obviously a lot has changed in the last 11 months.

Like? They failed to get the RQ system to work and maintenance has done nothing to fix match results from to upload. Trying to view matches in prifile is a pain as it fails to load half the time. Some of the features in the player profile doesn't work.

What make you think Capcom fixed anything other than gameplay balance. All we get is an announcement at Evo this year.

Like? They failed to get the RQ system to work and maintenance has done nothing to fix match results from to upload. Trying to view matches in prifile is a pain as it fails to load half the time. Some of the features in the player profile doesn't work.

What make you think Capcom fixed anything other than gameplay balance. All we get is an announcement at Evo this year.

Capcom could easily have tweaked any part of the game, including the netcode, without you knowing. Remember that this is the company that fixed disconnects kicking you out of survival, but never mentioned that they had done so, despite this being a frequently cited flaw with the game.

Kashiwaba

So both Tekken and Injustice are about 5 months away, Capcom better get their shit together and fix their servers, or they will start losing many of their long time players to those games.

Edzi

So both Tekken and Injustice are about 5 months away, Capcom better get their shit together and fix their servers, or they will start losing many of their long time players to those games.

I honestly kind of doubt this. SF is fairly unique, and I wouldn't consider any of the upcoming fighters to be true alternatives. Casuals (who Capcom have already lost until MvCi) might move on to those games, but the hardcore competitive group who's already playing SFV likely isn't going anywhere.

Kashiwaba

I honestly kind of doubt this. SF is fairly unique, and I wouldn't consider any of the upcoming fighters to be true alternatives. Casuals (who Capcom have already lost until MvCi) might move on to those games, but the hardcore competitive group who's already playing SFV likely isn't going anywhere.
I might move lol since i live in the middle of nowhere and online is my only way to play SFV, but with the current issues with the servers I'm losing interest in this game :(.

Ucchedavāda;228938082 said:
Capcom could easily have tweaked any part of the game, including the netcode, without you knowing. Remember that this is the company that fixed disconnects kicking you out of survival, but never mentioned that they had done so, despite this being a frequently cited flaw with the game.

"Easily" How long it took Capcom to fix that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Karin match-up chart from Packz:

C23xgNGWQAAVbMU.jpg:large

I pretty much agree with this. At my much lower skill level Laura is a big problem, though. I guess he can keep her out for most of the match and knows her strings better. Oh and I do pretty well against Alex. Not sure why he thinks it's only even.

Skilletor

Capcom players, by and large, play Capcom games exclusively. It might lose some, but the core will remain with SF5, and if those players quit, they will play no fighters at all, not other fighters out (no matter how good they are).

Fighting game fans might move on to a different game (I know I will) but Capcom fans as Skilletor said, will either play SF5 or they'll play nothing at all. They might play a different fighting game just for the sake of it being a new game but it's incredibly unlikely that they stick with it.

Nah nah the real money is in beards. Everyone looks better with a beard.

Give Ryu a beard = Hot Ryu
Give Dhalsim a beard = Hot Dhalsim
Give Bison a white goatee = Super Evil Bison

Facial hair is the key.

For real though, if they're only gonna give costumes to the characters with boobies then just give everyone boobies!! Everybody wins
except straight Women and gay Men.

5bce2968494776d96e760895c7099bdc.jpg

Give Dhalsim a beard = Hot Dhalsim
What woman wouldn't kill for a man who can put his head between his legs.

People need to stop seeing fighting games as something you leave forever. You can always swing back around once things get better or just outright play multiple fighters. I really wish people would have at least three games under their belt, even if the other two are just mashing for the fun of it, because at least maybe sometime in the future they could get serious in it.

But that's wishful thinking :(

mbpm1

People need to stop seeing fighting games as something you leave forever. You can always swing back around once things get better or just outright play multiple fighters. I really wish people would have at least three games under their belt, even if the other two are just mashing for the fun of it, because at least maybe sometime in the future they could get serious in it.

Fighting games will be left in 2016

ElFly

I am not that young, I cannot play Zangiefless fighting games anymore

May give MvC:I if it has Zangief, otherwise it will be considered a trash game

Skilletor

Same. I buy and play almost any fighting game without loli characters enough to understand the general mechanics.

Playing lots of Revelator now and really looking forward to Injustice.

On the PS4 alone I have KoF XIV, Guilty Gear, MKX and SF5. I'm gonna add I2 and T7 to that list too.

Out of those, KoF is the only game I don't even bother to boot up simply because I have literally no one to play with and even going online I'm not gonna find anybody.

Can't really play online with Guilty Gear either but the game is just so balls to the wall fun that even just going to training mode and doing cool shit is a blast.

Haven't really played SF5 much since Season 2 cause I just don't find the game fun anymore. If any of the DLC characters this season don't click with me then I might not come back till Season 3 and that's assuming they fix stuff then.

Been playing a lot of MKXL and enjoying it heavily. The real reason I stopped playing it when it came out was the HORRIBLE netcode but the current one is SOOO GOOD.

Gonna spend a lot more time in I2 and T7 too. Though SF5 is the game that'll have a place in my heart cause it's the first fighting game that I actually decided to git gud at and not just memorize combos and then not play with anyone or exclusively play single player stuff.

Fighting games will be left in 2016

It'll just be that Capcom employee, sitting by himself, in the future.

Same. I buy and play almost any fighting game without loli characters enough to understand the general mechanics.

Playing lots of Revelator now and really looking forward to Injustice.

I've been dicking around in Rev lately. It's pretty good! I've never been able to click with NRS's games but I'm definitely willing to try again.

On the PS4 alone I have KoF XIV, Guilty Gear, MKX and SF5. I'm gonna add I2 and T7 to that list too.

Out of those, KoF is the only game I don't even bother to boot up simply because I have literally no one to play with and even going online I'm not gonna find anybody.

Can't really play online with Guilty Gear either but the game is just so balls to the wall fun that even just going to training mode and doing cool shit is fun.

Haven't really played SF5 much since Season 2 cause I just don't find the game fun anymore. If any of the DLC characters this season don't click with me then I might not come back till Season 3 and that's assuming they fix stuff then.

Been playing a lot of MKXL and enjoying it heavily. The real reason I stopped playing it when it came out was the HORRIBLE netcode but the current one is SOOO GOOD.

Gonna spend a lot more time in I2 and T7 too. Though SF5 is the game that'll have a place in my heart cause it's the first fighting game that I actually decided to git gud at and not just memorize combos and then not play with anyone or exclusively play single player stuff.

I basically have everything besides BlazBlue. I don't like how it plays personally, but I can see why people like it. Season 2 actually fits my playstyle better lol so I'm more into it than ever. I basically play SFV every day now that my locals are getting better and I'm able to get out more. I usually put two other games on the roster, which I deem as my fighting game days. Some I just mash around, while in others I plan to devote some time into being competent. The other days are meant for SFV and clearing through my hefty backlog.

Ever since I read Daigo's quote I've been on a fighting spree as of late. He basically said that if a game is boring, it's because you aren't learning, and that if you continue to learn, you'll continue to have fun with what you love. I don't agree with that in every situation, but for me, personally, it does help my enjoyment of fighting games. I like learning about different characters in SFV and how it applies to different people's playstyles (in turn, learning about them as well, I guess), I'll love learning Tekken as a whole, and I just like seeing cool shit, and discovering cool shit.

I'm done with trying to always achieve a straight victory. I just wanna have fun and not worry about that stuff so long as I improve.

Anyway, Capcom, drop those DLC boyz on me. I'm ready.

I buy and play pretty much every fighting game I just kinda prioritize SF for the most part. But yeah just this year I got Nitroplus, Marvel 3 on PS4, and i'm looking forward to Injustice and Tekken.

Ever since I read Daigo's quote I've been on a fighting spree as of late. He basically said that if a game is boring, it's because you aren't learning, and that if you continue to learn, you'll continue to have fun with what you love. I don't agree with that in every situation, but for me, personally, it does help my enjoyment of fighting games. I like learning about different characters in SFV and how it applies to different people's playstyles (in turn, learning about them as well, I guess), I'll love learning Tekken as a whole, and I just like seeing cool shit, and discovering cool shit.

I'm done with trying to always achieve a straight victory. I just wanna have fun and not worry about that stuff so long as I improve.

Anyway, Capcom, drop those DLC boyz on me. I'm ready.
That Daigo quote does make some sense. When I played Dota 2, I stopped having fun when I started to surpass the group of friends that I played with. It started to become frustrating to play with them (no fault of theirs) because I felt like I was sandbagged and when I spend so much time learning something, I tend to become competitive and really want to win. Eventually the game just stopped being fun for me and I stopped playing.

Similar situation with SF5 actually. My local scene is pretty much non existent, with the amount of players being a number that I can list on my hand. I only know of 2 other dudes who play actively and that I can claim are on my level and those 2 live in other cities. There are a few middle eastern players but honestly, the lack of variety and growth in my local scene really kills my motivation to spend time on this game because what is that time going to achieve if I don't have people to play with consistently. If I lived in Europe or the US where I had ready access to players on my level or higher than me and I could meet with them and grow as a player then I'd be playing this game a hell of a lot more but as it stands, I just don't have the motivation.

Which is also why having good netcode is important to me for a fighting game and why I'm so much more hyped for I2. It's gonna be a big playerbase, the sequel to a fighting game that I hugely enjoyed and will have good netcode if MKXL is anything to go by. Similar situation for T7.

Past week or so matchmaking has periods of taking ages to find matches.

I have gg rev sitting there. May just go try that.

Edit
Then it matches you with a 5 bar connection and its someone from china that gets random micro lag mid combo screwing me up all the time.

Up until a week ago match making seemed pretty good for a while. Sigh.

I buy nearly every fighting game, simply because I enjoy the genre.
this is what I currently have on steam
819731f919.jpg

Obviously I also have stuff like VF and soul calibur on console, but that is simply because they aren't available on pc.
I wanted to get into ougon musou kyouko, because I liked the demo, but it never made its way out of japan.
Persona 4 arena never really had a good enough deal for me on x360, so I never got into that.
Didn't get into dengeki bunko or under night in birth because I didn't buy fighting games for my ps3, and I haven't seen a good enough deal yet for the steam release of unib yet.
Didn't get Arcana heart on pc because even though I own the vanilla version on x360, I didn't feel it was good enough to buy again.

Didn't get revelator because fuck that horrible steam pricing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, I've beaten two players with way more LP than me and I get two 80001 or whatever they are and then I lose twice and those work of course. This game wants me to hate it. This is really shitty.

Because I own the originals (somewhere), and 30 bucks for both isn't worth it for me.
And the ports weren't that great either, right?

I honestly wouldn't know, I saw the prices and just noped them out of my mind, it's only now that you brought them up that I remember them existing on steam.

FluxWaveZ

Neat, V-League player profiles got an update. Mine.

This stuff is really cool.

Edit: Also saw this via Reddit. What's interesting to me about this clip is the purple eye tracker; I didn't know some streamers (or at least this one) had that kind of thing. It'd be an interesting thing to analyze where pro players are looking at on the screen and try to imitate that.

Those other games play nothing like SF. These are 3 different experiences here.

People who like SF arent going to switch over to Tekken en masse all of a sudden if they have already tried it before and didn't like it (and vice versa.

Smash, NRS games, Tekken, SF, anime. These games are different experiences.

Edit: Also saw this via Reddit. What's interesting to me about this clip is the purple eye tracker; I didn't know some streamers (or at least this one) had that kind of thing. It'd be an interesting thing to analyze where pro players are looking at on the screen and try to imitate that.

Yeah that's the SteelSeries Sentry. Stupendous is the only fighting game streamer i've seen use one. I think it's pretty interesting to to know where players are looking too. The only other time i've seen something like that was in this video of Sako playing USF4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Neat, V-League player profiles got an update. Mine.

This stuff is really cool.

Yeah Stupendous has it and I believe Sako used it at one point, too.

edit: Lol, too late, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom