• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

NRS storymodes are trash too. Just trash with much higher production value than other fighting games.

Though to be fair Injustice 2's story still made more sense and was more entertaining than BvS.

Which says more about how shit BvS was rather than how good IJ2's story mode is.

MCD250

NRS storymodes are trash too. Just trash with much higher production value than other fighting games.
I was gonna say. I played both of the MK ones and I thought they were both pretty bad (though for different reasons).

Regardless, I didn't realize "most videogame storytelling is crap" was some sort of controversial opinion. It's probably better than it was 10-15 years ago, and I'm sure most people who play games (myself inclided) can think of some stark examples of strong storytelling in videogames, but generally speaking, it's definitely an area where the medium is lacking.

Can we get more than 2 females in S3?

It still amazes me that SF's females tend to beat out the dudes in most popularity polls, yet we've rarely done better than having 1/4th of the roster be female.

The only update good in that regard that comes to mind is USFIV, but even that's a wildcard depending on how serious your interpretation of Poison is.

V's cinematic story was a damn hoot.

It gave me exactly the cheese I was expecting for a SF story mode, roll on a potential follow up story, especially if it involves Ed's Gorilla pal.

IJ2 was obviously a lot better presented and overall better, but in the end it was still a story mode based around finding reasons to make dudes punch each other, I kind of feel like fighting game stories are inherently limited as a result.

MrCarter

V's cinematic story was a damn hoot.

5326546-1562894805-53246.gif

Also, I just saw this.

tumblr_o5cahjb6ib1usrgjso4_540.gif

Great mod.

Marvel

could never
Yeah, had that goofy saturday morning kids show vibe. Loved it.

It did what it set out to do.

『Inaba Resident』;244698723 said:
Haven't played IJ2 but MKX's story mode put me to sleep.
I'm a NRS stan, and yes mkx was utter fucking shit story wise. Shinnok will never be cool.

Fuck that whole future timeline.

The thing I hate about all fighting game story modes is HOW FUCKING SERIOUSLY they take it.

Just have fun, have the characters doing stupid shit, drop any pretense of you trying to deliver a compelling experience and just deliver a fun one. That is one area at least where SFV's story mode did something kinda right.

Sailing further off topic here but despite years having passed, I'm still reeling from Soul Calibur 5's piss tier attempt at a story mode with the most unlikeable leads possible.

JusDoIt

I was gonna say. I played borh of the MK ones and I thought they were both pretty bad (though both different reasons).

Regardless, I didn't realize "most videogame storytelling is crap" was some sort of controversial opinion. It's probably better than it was 10-15 years ago, and I'm sure most people who play games (myself inclided) can think of some stark examples od strong storytelling in videogames, but generally speaking, it's definitely an area where the medium is lacking.

It's generally bad, but we're starting to see how video game storytelling should be done, thanks to indie houses and the Rockstars and the Naughty Dogs.

Nothing in fighting games, including NRS, approaches the best in video game storytelling because fighting game stories are usually presented as ensemble action movies. And ensemble action movies, as fun as they may be, are pretty fucking dumb. The structure doesn't allow for anything else but dumb.

Fun and dumb is fine if you grew up on the Fast and Furious series, but if you're a bit older like me and grew up loving Die Hard you know action movies don't have to be braindead. Die Hard ain't an ensemble movie, though. It's about one dude trying to patch things up with his wife (a lot like Uncharted 4, which is also great).

MCD250

It's generally bad, but we're starting to see how video game storytelling should be done, thanks to indie houses and the Rockstars and the Naughty Dogs.

Nothing in fighting games, including NRS, approaches the best in video game storytelling because fighting game stories are usually presented as ensemble action movies. And ensemble action movies, as fun as they may be, are pretty fucking dumb. The structure doesn't allow for anything else but dumb.

Fun and dumb is fine if you grew up on the Fast and Furious series, but if you're a bit older like me and grew up loving Die Hard you know action movies don't have to be braindead. Die Hard ain't an ensemble movie, though. It's about one dude trying to patch things up with his wife (a lot like Uncharted 4, which is also great).
Agreed.

Numb

Sailing further off topic here but despite years having passed, I'm still reeling from Soul Calibur 5's piss tier attempt at a story mode with the most unlikeable leads possible.

Someone got killed by a mysterious girl with a circular blade
The same girl shows up right after and they ask who she is

Zackat

only video game story that I really felt was good lately was Horizon Zero Dawn. Like it was a great sci-fi story without being ridiculously complicated. I liked it.

kikiribu

The thing I hate about all fighting game story modes is HOW FUCKING SERIOUSLY they take it.

Just have fun, have the characters doing stupid shit, drop any pretense of you trying to deliver a compelling experience and just deliver a fun one. That is one area at least where SFV's story mode did something kinda right.
Fuck playful tone, it wasn't edgelord enough!

MrCarter

So basically we need a story about Ken trying to patch things up in his faltering marriage with Eliza (who has since left him and ran away with his son Mel) and goes around the entire globe fighting the world warriors in search of them. Finally realising that they have been actually kidnapped by Lord Bipson, he then teams up with his old buddy Ryu and some of the gang to get his family back.

Just some some 14 year old fanfic stuff there lol. But it's still better than what we got.

Removing background folk is good
Just leave blowjob girl at the airforce base out of it
I have this gif stored in my bookmarks as "D-Trigger activated"

GKnYPuW.gif

So basically we need a story about Ryu trying to patch things up in his faltering marriage with Ken (who has since left him and ran way with Dan) and goes around the entire globe fighting the world warriors in search of them. Finally realising that they have been actually kidnapped by Lord Bipson, he then teams up with his old buddy Sagat and some of the gang to get his family back.

Just some some 14 year old fanfic stuff there lol. But it's still better than what we got.
FTFY

kikiribu

Gief broke Satsuki's precious sword with his chest hair. I bet Abigail can't do that.

Ewwww remember when everyone thought next silhouette was Satsuki? Nausea!

Menat bless.

JusDoIt

only video game story that I really felt was good lately was Horizon Zero Dawn. Like it was a great sci-fi story without being ridiculously complicated. I liked it.

HZD might be my GOTY, but the storytelling would have been world class like 10 years ago. The storytelling is up there with Mass Effect, but not with some of the games that came out in the last five years.

I agree. Juri riding her motorcycle across the sea was my favorite part.

Seriously, I so enjoyed seeing her arrive on the bike in the next scene. In a different country lol.

Chest hair too stronk.

Also yes, yuck!

Menat all the way.
lol, remember when we were so sure that the last silhouette was Garuda? Good times.

I agree. Juri riding her motorcycle across the sea was my favorite part.

Seriously, I so enjoyed seeing her arrive on the bike in the next scene. In a different country lol.
Rashid being the loveable goof, F.A.N.G being the goofy villain, that little girl motorboating Chun-Li. The story mode was fun if nothing else.

JusDoIt

So basically we need a story about Ken trying to patch things up in his faltering marriage with Eliza (who has since left him and ran away with his son Mel) and goes around the entire globe fighting the world warriors in search of them. Finally realising that they have been actually kidnapped by Lord Bipson, he then teams up with his old buddy Ryu and some of the gang to get his family back.

Balding divorced Ken would be incredible.

Street Fighter don't need no dramatic story, though. I just think fighting games should stay away from trying to fit all of their characters into one big story. Stories need to be driven by characters, and there ain't that many steering wheels to go around. Fighting games should give each character a small story of their own. Don't try to make something on the level of a movie, try to make something on the level of them shorts that Blizzard makes for Overwatch characters.

Marvel

could never
The lighting is so much better too, less piss filter.

Also I'm trying to think of funny reasons why Eliza would divorce ken. I got nothing.

How many hits of armor does EX Abigail Punch have, by chance?

Someone answer this man/woman/Cylon, please!

The lighting is so much better, less piss filter.

Also I'm trying to think of funny reasons why Eliza would divorce ken. I got nothing.
Rich, handsome, Rich, good genes, Rich, great father, Rich, athletic AF, Rich, somewhat funny, Rich, loves to travel, Rich, socialite, Rich.

Yup, I got nothing.

Ken's son turns out to be a martial arts prodigy. He can channel ki like Ryu never could. Akuma, knowing this, kills Ken and abducts his child to raise him in the ways of the Satsui no Hado. Ken's child comes to adore hurting others, becoming a vicious sociopath who travels the world ending the lives of every notable martial artist he comes across. Akuma can only stand by and watch as the prodigy surpasses his own power. Ryu, hearing of these deaths, sets out to explore the mystery. But what will he do when he finds that the murderer is the son of his now deceased friend?

Mizerman

Injustice's story is alright, but I'm getting kinda annoyed with the whole "Make Batman look real strong." Not to mention WW's overall portrayal there...

Gief broke Satsuki's precious sword with his chest hair. I bet Abigail can't do that.

Ewwww remember when everyone thought next silhouette was Satsuki? Nausea!

Menat bless.

I did. Then again, I didn't think Abigail would've actually made it on the roster.

Top Bottom