• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Onemic

I think the problem could be somewhat alleviated by limiting most or all crush counter buttons in some way, like say, making them heavily punishable on block. So the big reward you get from sticking them out would be balanced out by the risk you take for doing so. I guess that might kill Bison's game, but hey.

That's not the only thing you could do in terms if limiting crush counters, of course, but it's one idea. Having crush counter buttons not be governed by the priority system would also work.

This was actually their original intention when they made the CC system. That it was to be a real risk/reward situation, where if you use a CC normal and it's blocked it is always punishable. I dunno what happened when they were making it or what drugs Woshige was giving to the devs to influence their minds to make the game into the way it is now.

I think the problem could be somewhat alleviated by limiting most or all crush counter buttons in some way, like say, making them heavily punishable on block. So the big reward you get from sticking them out would be balanced out by the risk you take for doing so. I guess that might kill Bison's game, but hey.

That's not the only thing you could do in terms if limiting crush counters, of course, but it's one idea. Having crush counter buttons not be governed by the priority system would also work.

Balrog/Bison st.HK +3 on block and with CC properties

who's mans did this

I kinda like CCs, but it has to involve high commitment buttons for the risk/reward ratio to check out for characters that can get a big payout out of a single CC. That is not the case for a number of buttons.

Perhaps limiting the CC system to after-the-fact punishes for certain (invincible) moves would be preferable.

This was actually their original intention when they made the CC system. That it was to be a real risk/reward situation, where if you use a CC normal and it's blocked it is always punishable. I dunno what happened when they were making it or what drugs Woshige was giving to the devs to influence their minds to make the game into the way it is now.
Yeah I remember seeing Chun and Ryu fight for the first time and the game giving you visual cues it was your turn to attack with the blocking animations. I guess using the buttons from a longer range outsmarted the system or something. CC are really a nice concept, but as mentioned some are just too good as buttons. Starting to feel like SF4 a bit where some characters has whack focus attacks and others were amazing. CC could use some refining.

MCD250

I guess I don't think about crush counters as much as I should, since I main a character that only has one and it's almost completely useless to boot. The game would probably feel kinda stupid to me if I had the ability to stick out crush counters all day.

Tekken has a more cohesive plot but that means it's easier to criticize because they've been trying. Shit better be real good imo.

Nobody actually listens to those silly memes as they are from sad, lowlife has-beens who have nothing better to do with thier life apart from get salty and post nonsense because "thier" games are not more popular. Pathetic.

Good luck with your interview lol.

Thanks fam

Blueblur1

Regarding E3, someone on r/StreetFighter pointed out this January quote from Ono.

When asked by IGN about Capcom's plans for the big anniversary, Ono said, "around E3 timing, maybe even San Diego Comic-Con, we have one or two surprises we hope our fans will look forward to."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/20/street-fighter-surprises-teased-for-e3-or-comic-con

I had forgotten about the quote but remembered that there could be a possibility of something at E3. Thinking back to a couple weeks ago, I had mentioned John D told Bornfree and Michael Martin on twitter that they should definitely go to E3. Considering that Bornfree is more of a SF fan, I imagine John was referring to SFV surprises(s).

So maybe there will be something SFV-related at E3?

Regarding E3, someone on r/StreetFighter pointed out this January quote from Ono.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/20/street-fighter-surprises-teased-for-e3-or-comic-con

I had forgotten about the quote but remembered that there could be a possibility of something at E3. Thinking back to a couple weeks ago, I had mentioned John D told Bornfree and Michael Martin on twitter that they should definitely go to E3. Considering that Bornfree is more of a SF fan, I imagine John was referring to SFV surprises(s).

So maybe there will be something SFV-related at E3?

I only expect a playable new character and that's about it tbh

I feel like Kolin is one of the only characters to benefit off of playing while thinking

Same as Nash. He can't V-Trigger cancel off normals like the other characters. I can't use Cr.HP xx V-Trigger cancel because it's neutral and characters with 3f moves will beat out whatever I try to throw out. And it's a one done deal

Meanwhile Laura can throw out St.MK OB and then V-Trigger to make it +4 and guess what ever bullshit she's about to do.

Skilletor

To the people who hated focus attacks in neutral (they were dumb, I won't argue that 100% (in neutral at least) ) and prefer SFV's system.. how do you feel about the Priority system mixed in with crush counters?

Crush counters should all be high risk/high reward, just like they are for sweeps. It's fucking stupid that CCs are tied to amazing ass buttons that you'd be using anyway.

MCD250

Another thing they could do I guess is make crush counters slow as hell and highly telegraphed in animation, like Alex's sHK, though I guess that'd probably just make folks stop using them altogether.

Spuck-uk

Banned
To the people who hated focus attacks in neutral (they were dumb, I won't argue that 100% (in neutral at least) ) and prefer SFV's system.. how do you feel about the Priority system mixed in with crush counters?

Honestly I think a bigger problem is buttons having shitty active frames and doubly shitty range, combined with slow walkspeeds, makes everyone feel like Cody in SF4.

Pressing a medium and heavy at the same time doesn't mean the heavy just wins, the priority system looks at active frames, not just when you presses the button. The active frames need to overlap
If your opponent's heavy button beats your medium, it means he pressed his earlier then yours. I think only cammy has a really fast heavy, but that one doesn't even CC.

In the case of whiff punishing necalli, well you simply mistimed it, his hk was still active, without the priority system you'd still just trade or even get beaten depending on hit/hurtboxes. For reference, necalli's hk is active for 4 frames and had a recovery of 21 frames, you didn't attack during the recovery, so you didn't actually 'whiff punish' at all.

Pressing a medium and heavy at the same time doesn't mean the heavy just wins, the priority system looks at active frames, not just when you presses the button. The active frames need to overlap
If your opponent's heavy button beats your medium, it means he pressed his earlier then yours. I think only cammy has a really fast heavy, but that one doesn't even CC.

In the case of whiff punishing necalli, well you simply mistimed it, his hk was still active, without the priority system you'd still just trade or even get beaten depending on hit/hurtboxes. For reference, necalli's hk is active for 4 frames and had a recovery of 21 frames, you didn't attack during the recovery, so you didn't actually 'whiff punish' at all.

Okay, so when a heavy normal & a medium normal's active frames overlap, that causes a CC for the player that pressed the heavy normal. And for the player that pressed the medium button the punishment is sometimes instant death.

In your honest and ever so shilling opinion, would you call this an intelligent design?

It's Capcom shitty hurt/hitboxes that's been plaguing them.

Just think if SFV had them tied into the models instead of the general area. Balrog wouldn't gotten this crush counter. And Cammy can finally get prosthetic legs.
djKoDaB.jpg

Lol, the word "shill" gets tossed around all day around here.

I thought it was my special privilege, but apparently anyone can join the club if they defend SF5 for more than a sentence.

I don't want to share the title :(

Lol, the word "shill" gets tossed around all day around here.

I thought it was my special privilege, but apparently anyone can join the club if they defend SF5 for more than a sentence.

I don't want to share the title :(

so you gonna speak on the CC system if it's a smart design or nah

if you choose to, please don't compare it to Tekken/KOF/GG etc

CC's just need to be toned down a bit. Especially the more ridiculous ones that favor characters like Rog.

USF2 had massive warning signs the moment it was unveiled. Not at all surprised it's shit value.

Jesus, Capcom is just mucking up the SF brand, and on it's 30th Anniversary no less.
You would know.

Problem is the cost. Had it been 20, people wouldn't have cared. Like it still takes work to rebalance the game and shit, so being 10 is silly, 15 is fine, and 20 is like right on the line. Oh, and the shitty minigame, but still.

Pompadour

Okay, so when a heavy normal & a medium normal's active frames overlap, that causes a CC for the player that pressed the heavy normal. And for the player that pressed the medium button the punishment is sometimes instant death.

In your honest and ever so shilling opinion, would you call this an intelligent design?

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the CC + priority system on paper. Like all of SFV's problems, it's the execution of the system which is the issue.

That's like saying the FADC system was complete garbage because for a little bit of meter you could force a situation where an invincible reversal led to huge damage on hit or advantage on block. It was a win/win untjl they toned it down in USF4.

The CC priority system is the same way. There's nothing wrong with priority (it's in a lot of games, including 3S) and theoretically there's nothing wrong with CCs (they're in other games, too). The problem is some normals with CC are also extremely good and would remain extremely good if the CC capability was removed. So it's a balancing issue, not a design issue.

The design should be "In this situation I know my opponent will press a button that my CC Heavy will catch so I'll take the risk" rather than "Regardless of what happens I'm fine so why not mash Heavy".

I apologize for calling you a shill.

With that said, would you consider this an intelligent design?
I don't think it's a design problem, but more a hitbox problem.
Being able to 'poke' with a heavy shouldn't result in such big reward if their boxes were generally worse than medium buttons. But a lot of medium buttons in this game have pretty lousy boxes so they can only really overlap with heavies, instead of the medium button's hitbox only overlapping with the heavies hurtbox.
It's a tough thing to balance because you could wind up with medium buttons that are just too good for every situation.
I don't enjoy getting a max range cc boot in the face, but I think the idea behind them is that you need to be mindful of cc buttons when trying to poke, since if your opponent expects you to press a button, they can get a big punish. Kinda tying in to how offense oriented this game is.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the CC + priority system on paper. Like all of SFV's problems, it's the execution of the system which is the issue.

That's like saying the FADC system was complete garbage because for a little bit of meter you could force a situation where an invincible reversal led to huge damage on hit or advantage on block. It was a win/win untjl they toned it down in USF4.

The CC priority system is the same way. There's nothing wrong with priority (it's in a lot of games, including 3S) and theoretically there's nothing wrong with CCs (they're in other games, too). The problem is some normals with CC are also extremely good and would remain extremely good if the CC capability was removed. So it's a balancing issue, not a design issue.

The design should be "In this situation I know my opponent will press a button that my CC Heavy will catch so I'll take the risk" rather than "Regardless of what happens I'm fine so why not mash Heavy".

Yea, I believe the way it was executed was kinda trash as well tbh.

If they were able to tie CC's only to the recovery of invincible reversals and on other times only reward a regular counter hit, that'd make more sense.

They've already started changing it around since they've noticed their mistake with making some normals only give CC states on certain active frames of the move.

For example; Guile's cr.HP will only CC on the earlier active frames ( I believe ) and on the later ones it only rewards a regular CH, so when Guile AA's you with cr.HP, he isn't always rewarded a full crush counter.

More moves should be like that instead of Urien's st.HP clown fiesta

Top Bottom