• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Pompadour

No offense, but that's some sugar coating. It was a game chock full of on-disc DLC(EDIT: Chars) and pretty much standard in terms of modes, except dramatic battle. Latter which is something nobody played. Not to forget the Gem shenanigans. The color edit mode was nice though, I'd give you that.

If you want an example of a Capcom game being chock full of characters and modes you'll have to look deeper into the past. SFA3 and Rival Schools(JP Ver., western version was missing a whole game mode) are still king in terms of Capcoms portfolio.

It had something like 38 characters at launch, which was huge, and more than half of those were made from the ground up for the game. MvCI can't claim either of those things.

I've discussed how the on-disc DLC as one of the most overblown reactions in Capcom history dozens of times here. Probably the first post I made was about the on-disc DLC. You got 12 characters, 7 of which were brand new, for $20. With everything the game had a 50 character roster which is pretty goddamned good. And that was for $80 total.

If you bought MvC3 and UMvC3 at launch it wasn't that cheap. The fact that the characters were on the disc shouldn't mean shit. They were budgeted separately and cost money to develop. Game development isn't "Here's X amount of dollars so work for Y amount of months and whatever you finish in that time is what goes into the game." Each character, mode, etc. has a cost and that is included in the budget which must be approved. There's no indication that the content was cut out to resell for more money. The reason why it was already complete is because DLC is most likely to sell right after the game's launch when hype causes people to spend money on content they probably won't want in another week or so.

The only issue I had with the on-disc DLC was they signed a deal with Sony to release those characters first on the shitty Vita version. In fact, that's likely where the budget for the characters came from initially so there's a good chance we wouldn't have gotten them at all otherwise. (I also didn't like all the PS exclusive characters but they were shitty so who cares).

I'd disagree with the modes being standard because they had several fuck around modes that only exist to add checkmarks to a list. They did better than most modern fighting games, sans NRS games, when it came to content.

It's interesting you cite Color Edit mode as a positive because I hope it's never implemented in another fighter. People used it to turn every character jet-black like they Noob Saibot or some gaudy neon atrocity. They made an already ugly game uglier. I don't trust people to use Color Edit responsibily.

Rival Schools was good but SFA3 was like the 4th version of that game. And you're referring to a home version with a lot of content so that's at least the DC port which was probably like the 5th or 6th iteration. They didn't make that all from scratch just for that port.

vg260

I've discussed how the on-disc DLC as one of the most overblown reactions in Capcom history dozens of times here. Probably the first post I made was about the on-disc DLC. You got 12 characters, 7 of which were brand new, for $20. With everything the game had a 50 character roster which is pretty goddamned good. And that was for $80 total.

Seriously. Compared to MvCI, this was actually better in terms of new characters and total content for the money. Not to mention the MvCI DLC characters can't be that far off from completion at this point if they all launch this year, I don't think Capcom has been sitting around idle until some arbitrary date after release. If they had them all complete now, and only had to sit on them for some time for optics, I'm sure they would love that.

Pompadour

Not to mention the MvCI DLC characters can't be that far off from completion at this point if they all launch this year, I don't think Capcom has been sitting around idle until some arbitrary date after release. If they had them all complete now, and only had to sit on them for some time for optics, I'm sure they would love that.

Right. Characters being on the disc was never a smoking gun, especially back when these companies were being charged for the bandwidth to download DLC. It's like people's chief complaint wasn't that they were being fucked, they just didn't want to be fucked so obviously.

Blueblur1

Yipes left New York a week ago. Its a real shame.

Edit: But if he's gonna be the MvCI front man and finally get paid then I'm happy for him. He deserves it.

NewPoorKrill-max-14mb.gif

MCD250

I thought I'd heard the reason Yipes was moving is because he wanted to be more active in the competitive scene and to participate in tournaments more (for Marvel, that is).

I thought I'd heard the reason Yipes was moving is because he wanted to be more active in the competitive scene and to participate in tournaments more (for Marvel, that is).

Makes sense he'd want to me closer to the action considering the diminished audience of the new game.

Just think about it. Monster Hunter (F) Trailer came out two days after Infinite released.

Alex didn't get a trailer after he was leaked.

Where do these people get 30K from to give out. How do they make any money with 2k viewers. I really don't understand how esports works sometimes.

Normally sponsors, entry fees, Capcom money, etc.

But this tournament is weird. SFV finals on a Thursday, mid day for most of us, and many who are just getting off work. The commentary is alright, but I didn't see this being promoted anywhere. And SCR and TGS this weekend is just taking this game's pie.

The girl commentating is impressive. She’s really knows her stuff.
Yeah I've heard her and this guy before, they're a terrific duo. Very scientific and technical playcallers, total opposite of Yipes-Chen. XD

"...but in Street Fighter V, a whiff doesn't lead to your getting whiff-punished, you get destroyed."

kirblar

Yeah I've heard her and this guy before, they're a terrific duo. Very scientific and technical playcallers, total opposite of Yipes-Chen. XD

"...but in Street Fighter V, a whiff doesn't lead to your getting whiff-punished, you get destroyed."
Whiff punishes in SFV are still nothing compared to SFxT.

vulva

Where do these people get 30K from to give out. How do they make any money with 2k viewers. I really don't understand how esports works sometimes.

It's run by Bell who's one of Canada's largest companies (ISP, Phone Service provider etc) so this is just promo money for them.

edit: Nice to see y'all saying such positive things about Jaky. She's a really good friend and works super hard on improving as a commentator.

MrCarter

It's run by Bell who's one of Canada's largest companies (ISP, Phone Service provider etc) so this is just promo money for them.

edit: Nice to see y'all saying such positive things about Jaky. She's a really good friend and works super hard on improving as a commentator.

Yeah she’s brilliant. One of the best female commentators I’ve seen.

Top Bottom