• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

lupinko

The really bad Liefeld models aside, the game would benefit from cellshading.

They already rehashed the animation, might as well rehash the art style.

Too bad they can't and won't fix the voice acting, and iirc there aren't any Japanese voices for Capcom characters in Infinite right? I skipped out on buying it at launch.

Topic wise, I think I'll get all the Cammy costumes and Menat's costume asap. Maybe some old music too.

Cammy's stage will be another FM grind to 70k. I just got Suzaku Castle last week.

Mizerman

The really bad Liefeld models aside, the game would benefit from cellshading.

They already rehashed the animation, might as well rehash the art style.

Too bad they can't and won't fix the voice acting, and iirc there aren't any Japanese voices for Capcom characters in Infinite right? I skipped out on buying it at launch.

Topic wise, I think I'll get all the Cammy costumes and Menat's costume asap. Maybe some old music too.

Cammy's stage will be another FM grind to 70k. I just got Suzaku Castle last week.

Correct.

Blueblur1

You know Capcom is really making a mess of things when they have *two* fighting games that need a relaunch. And the second needs a relaunch less than 10 days after it launched. No other company could fuck up that badly.

Syntsui

You know Capcom is really making a mess of things when they have *two* fighting games that need a relaunch. And the second needs a relaunch less than 10 days after it launched. No other company could fuck up that badly.
SFV needed a relaunch on day one. Marvel is in better shape in its first 10 days of life.

FluxWaveZ

SFV needed a relaunch on day one. Marvel is in better shape in its first 10 days of life.

Not in terms of public perception and sales it isn't. Ultimately, SFV will end up being a more successful game than MvC:I will ever be.

Especially since MvC is "strike two." DBZF can't come soon enough.

Syntsui

Not in terms of public perception and sales it isn't. Ultimately, SFV will end up being a more successful game than MvC:I will ever be.

Especially since MvC is "strike two." DBZF can't come soon enough.
Maybe, but that matters absolutely nothing to the players that got more content out of the gate. The first few months of SFV was a disgrace content wise.

Mizerman

SFV ain't going nowhere, especially since it's benefiting from the esports side. Plus, when it comes to SF, MH, RE and DMC, Capcom is stubborn to simple give up on it.

Also, DBFZ will likely be a good game, but it will never be a Marvel game as far as I'm concerned. It will never replace Marvel. Same with Skullgirls trying to be Marvel 2 in the beginning.

Pompadour

DBFZ is better off carving its own place instead of attempting to be a marvel killer.

I don't even understand why both can't coexist (I mean, I do understand, and that's because there's lots of shitheads on the internet). Even if you completely disregard personal fandom towards the characters, the games are way different in gameplay style. This would be a different conversation if MvCI still played like MvC3.

DBZF looks like MvC3 with a few less restrictions (simultaneous assists) but overall it feels less crazy.

MvCI almost feels like Capcom tried to Rainbow Edition their own franchise. The freedom is really amazing even when it creates some janky looking situations. In a match I ended an air combo with Haggar in his QCF+K throw to the ground and tag Jedah in before it ended and it his QCB+P slash into an orb. It worked, which surprised me, but it was weirder because it went from a cinematic camera angle straight into another cinematic camera angle (right at the end with Jedah cutting the orb the opponent is in). I don't know what struck me about that but it felt very much like it *shouldn't* work in a fighting game but, logically, it should work and it did.

Ryce

The more I look at Urien's new costume, the more upset I am that Gill isn't going to be a new character with that as his default look. He could have been really interesting as a Nash-ified version of Urien.

ElFly

I'm pretty excited about this doll costume but it's curious to me that they changed it from Alpha. She's wearing a jacket and leggings now, and her boots aren't as tall. No lightning prints on her legs either.

Maybe the costume code changes it back, I dunno.

cammy is allergic to pants

Mizerman

DBFZ is better off carving its own place instead of attempting to be a marvel killer.

Yep. Better to be your own game and stake out your own identity than to be something you're not.

I don't even understand why both can't coexist (I mean, I do understand, and that's because there's lots of shitheads on the internet). Even if you completely disregard personal fandom towards the characters, the games are way different in gameplay style. This would be a different conversation if MvCI still played like MvC3.

Pretty much. DBFZ will never will be a Marvel game. No matter what people on the internet say. And that's okay. It will be a great game and I'll be picking it up on day 1. It's not going to be a Marvel game nor is it going to be a Marvel killer (we went through the same routine when people thought T7/KOF14/I2/KI was gonna "kill" SFV and none of that happened).

I think Marvel will do just fine over time. And so will SFV.

I also think Marvel proves that its really graphics > gameplay.

Which I cannot do. Not that I want literal blocks graphics or anything, but when it comes to a fighting game, I need to know if the actual gameplay is good enough to enjoy. All the bells and whistles is fine and dandy, but if the gameplay itself bores me, then that's a deal-breaker in my eyes.

The more I look at Urien's new costume, the more upset I am that Gill isn't going to be a new character with that as his default look. He could have been really interesting as a Nash-ified version of Urien.

Yeah, I would've been interested to see how a potential incarnation of Gill would fare in SFV. Which is odd, seeing as I used to hate his complete existence.

remz

The thing that gets me ith the chun sleepwear, is looking at it way in the back of the other akiman sketches it looked like a pretty standard lingerie nightie.... with crocs. i don't understand how it turned into a weird apron

MCD250

The thing that gets me ith the chun sleepwear, is looking at it way in the back of the other akiman sketches it looked like a pretty standard lingerie nightie.... with crocs. i don't understand how it turned into a weird apron
It's the weirdest thing I've seen today. It legit looks to me like she's wearing one of those Chinese underwear tops that Juri wears, a thong, a giant fanny pack and crocs. It's like Chun is wearing laundry day clothes^10.

Ryce

With Cammy's castle releasing tomorrow, there are only 10 characters left who don't have their own stage. Here's what I'd eventually like to see:
  • Ken - His classic SFII stage, updated to be a nice yacht at an upscale marina.
  • R. Mika - A wrestling dojo with women practicing in a ring in the background, others lifting weights, and Yoko Harmageddon riding back and forth on her golf cart.
  • F.A.N.G - An opium den-looking mad science lair with poison concoctions in various containers in the background. The air is filled with purple fog.
  • Necalli - The altar of an ancient Aztec pyramid, with constellations visible in the night sky. There are overgrown plants, snakes, and statues and carvings made in Necalli's image.
  • Ibuki - A remake of her Ninja Village stage from New Generation.
  • Juri - The exterior of ”The Spider's Web," a nightclub in the Gangnam District of Seoul, with her motorcycle parked out front. Neon signs illuminate the background.
  • Urien - A remake of his Third Strike stage, as rumored. (I'd personally prefer a Greek Illuminati stage, but X-Kira was right about Cammy's stage coming next, so he's probably right about this.)
  • Kolin - A shrine built in Gill's honor at the site where Kolin first encountered him. It's snowing heavily here, with the background practically being all white.
  • Ed - The headquarters of Neo-Shadaloo, resembling a high tech Star Trek bridge, with the three characters from his character story performing various tasks in the background.
  • Menat - A gypsy barge floating down the Nile River, filled with lots of mystic artifacts that Menat has acquired in her travels. You'll pass pyramids, camels, and crocodiles as the boat moves on.
I really think stages help bring the characters to life.

Teh Lurv

It's the weirdest thing I've seen today. It legit looks to me like she's wearing one of those Chinese underwear tops that Juri wears, a thong, a giant fanny pack and crocs. It's like Chun is wearing laundry day clothes^10.

It looks like an outfit straight out of People of Walmart.

SFV didn't launch with a significantly smaller initial cast than its previous vanilla entry while also making the great majority of it tag alongs from the previous game. :\ As much as Infinite has interested me and has seemed like a great improvement on the systems side of things, it having the most underwhelming cast for its time of release has really killed my buzz for it. Lack of crossplay doesn't help either.

SFV didn't launch with a significantly smaller initial cast than its previous vanilla entry while also making the great majority of it tag alongs from the previous game. :\ As much as Infinite has interested me and has seemed like a great improvement on the systems side of things, it having the most underwhelming cast for its time of release has really killed my buzz for it. Lack of crossplay doesn't help either.
People can say whatever they want about SFV, but the crossplay has been a godsend. I got so much more time out of SFV that it's almost like a reverse Melee->Brawl situation for me. I couldn't stand SF4 much at all, but I've put like 300 hours into SFV. ASW would win my heart permanently if they could offer cross platform play between console and PC.

RIP Crossplay

People can say whatever they want about SFV, but the crossplay has been a godsend. I got so much more time out of SFV that it's almost like a reverse Melee->Brawl situation for me. I couldn't stand SF4 much at all, but I've put like 300 hours into SFV. ASW would win my heart permanently if they could offer cross platform play between console and PC.

RIP Crossplay
Yeah, CFN still has its kinks to work out, but the unification of a game's population and making it platform agnostic takes on more significance than short-term conveniences that may end up quickly killing off a game on a particular platform.

leroidys

After one day with infinite, I can say it's fun as hell to play, but goddamn are the models ugly. Was still holding out hope that it would look better in person. X and Zero look like some weird gacha phone game shit. Seems to animate really well though.

Kind of feels weird that SFV is finally starting to look good (new costumes and stages) while Capcom launches an ugly game beside it.

lupinko

I don't know why ASW doesn't do Crossplay for GG and BB, there's no Xbox or Switch in the way (though I think Switch is getting a BB game but dunno if it's CF or Cross Tag).

They could have done PS4-PS3-PC for their games.

Edzi

After one day with infinite, I can say it's fun as hell to play, but goddamn are the models ugly. Was still holding out hope that it would look better in person. X and Zero look like some weird ha ha phone game shit. Seems to animate really well though.

Kind of feels weird that SFV is finally starting to look good (new costumes and stages) while Capcom launches an ugly game beside it.

This was Ono's plan all along.

Neoxon

With Cammy's castle releasing tomorrow, there are only 10 characters left who don't have their own stage. Here's what I'd eventually like to see:
  • Ken - His classic SFII stage, updated to be a nice yacht at an upscale marina.
  • R. Mika - A wrestling dojo with women practicing in a ring in the background, others lifting weights, and Yoko Harmageddon riding back and forth on her golf cart.
  • F.A.N.G - An opium den-looking mad science lair with poison concoctions in various containers in the background. The air is filled with purple fog.
  • Necalli - The altar of an ancient Aztec pyramid, with constellations visible in the night sky. There are overgrown plants, snakes, and statues and carvings made in Necalli's image.
  • Ibuki - A remake of her Ninja Village stage from New Generation.
  • Juri - The exterior of ”The Spider's Web," a nightclub in the Gangnam District of Seoul, with her motorcycle parked out front. Neon signs illuminate the background.
  • Urien - A remake of his Third Strike stage, as rumored. (I'd personally prefer a Greek Illuminati stage, but X-Kira was right about Cammy's stage coming next, so he's probably right about this.)
  • Kolin - A shrine built in Gill's honor at the site where Kolin first encountered him. It's snowing heavily here, with the background practically being all white.
  • Ed - The headquarters of Neo-Shadaloo, resembling a high tech Star Trek bridge, with the three characters from his character story performing various tasks in the background.
  • Menat - A gypsy barge floating down the Nile River, filled with lots of mystic artifacts that Menat has acquired in her travels. You'll pass pyramids, camels, and crocodiles as the boat moves on.
I really think stages help bring the characters to life.
  • F.A.N.G's stage would more likely be that Chinese stage we saw in the background of his character render.
  • As for Ed's stage, I always imagined Neo-Shadaloo's HQ to be more like a modernized version of the set from Hamilton (especially given how formal their uniforms are).
    575800241200000b04895b5b.jpeg
  • As much as I'd love Ibuki's NG stage, it'll probably be her Third Strike stage.
  • Concerning Rainbow Mika's stage, doesn't Ring of Destiny kinda have that covered? Then again, it's a CPT-exclusive stage.

Ryce

Concerning Rainbow Mika's stage, doesn't Ring of Destiny kinda have that covered? Then again, it's a CPT-exclusive stage.
Nah, that's more of a boxing or MMA arena. Wrestling rings have three ropes. And like you said, it's CPT-exclusive. That's not something that would show up in a prospective arcade mode.

MCD250

I want more stages that are like completely mundane places that at a glance are not appropriate for fighting, like say, a locker room or a department store.

Rymuth

Chun Li must be a consistent money maker for Capcom if she keeps getting this diluge of outfits.

Also, this probably means the next SFII stage to get an update will be Ken's boat

Sayad

I don't know why ASW doesn't do Crossplay for GG and BB, there's no Xbox or Switch in the way (though I think Switch is getting a BB game but dunno if it's CF or Cross Tag).

They could have done PS4-PS3-PC for their games.
Cross play between steam/PS4 requires you running your own servers on top of PSN/steam so players from each platform can see each others, basically more work + extra maintenance cost. For a game that barely sells around 100k, it's not a very tempting proposition!

I've been browsing the MvCI thread since I came across all the negative sales talk and from what I've read Marvel killed itself lol. DBFZ is free to just waltz in and take that spot. Capcom's season 2 will have to be spectacular on a level we haven't seen since... AE or Super Street Fighter IV.
Yeah, CFN still has its kinks to work out, but the unification of a game's population and making it platform agnostic takes on more significance than short-term conveniences that may end up quickly killing off a game on a particular platform.
All I know is that I'm having a hard time going back to single platform fighters (on PC at least).
Cross play between steam/PS4 requires you running your own servers on top of PSN/steam so players from each platform can see each others, basically more work + extra maintenance cost. For a game that barely sells around 100k, it's not a very tempting proposition!
Sometimes opportunities for growth come along and are worth considering. DBFZ seems like a clearly good opportunity to reach audiences and players ASW hasn't had much history with until now.

jett

D-Member
DBZF has like zero chance of taking Mahvel's place among the FGC at least. Mahvel is mahvel. DBZF is no mahvel.

Village

DBZF has like zero chance of taking Mahvel's place among the FGC at least. Mahvel is mahvel. DBZF is no mahvel.

Eh, I feel like folks taking people's commitment to capcom for granted

Money is money homie. And there are new fighting game players made each day, and if DBZ gets enough new ones, it will do that.

Syntsui

Eh, I feel like folks taking people's commitment to capcom for granted

Money is money homie. And there are new fighting game players made each day, and if DBZ gets enough new ones, it will do that.
I don't think this applies to Marvel, like he said, Marvel is Marvel and its community is set in stone no matter how trash the sales are. It will feature every single major tournament for years to come even if DBF sells 20x more.

Village

I don't think this applies to Marvel, like he said, Marvel is Marvel and its community is set in stone no matter how trash the sales are. It will feature every single major tournament for years to come even if DBF sells 20x more.

I think you overestimating the power of money dude. I think capcom , no pun intended, is gonna get left behind

kikiribu

DBFZ situation will likely be pretty similar to GGXrd. Forum talk here and there, but ultimately not as popular as the bigger names

jett

D-Member
I think you overestimating the power of money dude. I think capcom , no pun intended, is gonna get left behind

What money? What are you talking about?

Injustass 2 and MKX sold multiple times over what SFV did. Yet the numbers they get at tournaments are really low compared to what SFV gets. You can include Tekken in with those two as well, another Namco game (like DBZF). If there's one thing where Capcom has actually hit it out of the park, is the FGC and the esports scene. That, at least, they nailed.

Rymuth

Gonna have to hit the Trials today to get some FM for that Cammy stage.

At this point, they have enough stages to sell them in a bundle. They've done so with the Battle and Summer outfit bundles so not with stages?

Sayad

Sometimes opportunities for growth come along and are worth considering. DBFZ seems like a clearly good opportunity to reach audiences and players ASW hasn't had much history with until now.

True but, but Xrd Rev didn't have much opportunity for growth and DBFZ is Bamco's call not ASW, and we know how what they think about this from Tekken 7...

Top Bottom