• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

The best part about the Season pass is that you have no idea who the next character is at least 1-2 weeks before they're released because that's when they tell you who they are.

We might have an idea of Menat now because of Ed's story mode, but Zeku is a COMPLETLE unknown who we could never have predicted were it not for leaks.

And you can't use a "wait and see" strategy with them because you don't get your FM refunded if you buy the Season pass later on.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Sincere-posting: Ingrid is good, Street Fighter should always be commended for ripping off SNK as it results in good things. (pls add Ingrid to KOF14 and have her intro be Kula and Athena doing a fusion dance)

I always get a thrill when the trailer reaches the end frame but there's still like 20 seconds' play time left.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME TO OIL UP!

Or more accurately in current Capcom's case, a bunch of screens of pre order incentives/advertising the season pass and copyrights.

We are out of oil.

Pachinko

I always get a thrill when the trailer reaches the end frame but there's still like 20 seconds' play time left.

LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME TO OIL UP!

Man , I would actually love to have Hakkan back , I troll picked him in 4 because my buddy also hated fighting him but I ended up enjoying that play style :(

MechaX

Also, I forgot to ask; can anyone pull up a few Cammy replays of mine to give constructive criticism? My ID is MechaX0.

Cammy is not a perfect fit for me ATM, but I think I am getting a little bit used to the flow of things, at least in the Bronze league. At this point my main problem is lack of matchup experience and frame data to know when it's my turn, and to confirm better so I am not doing botched spirals.

That trailer for that one DLC character (Balrog I believe) where they also showed off glimpses of Urien and Juri? That was the best.

They really should do that again.

Right, because showing things before they're finished has worked so well for Capcom recently...

Today's audience doesn't appreciate the concept of "work in progress", as seen by the reaction to MvCi and Shenmue III. (especially with regards to Capcom)

Other companies drop mystery season passes, and no one seems to mind. Capcom sees that, and so here we are.

Pompadour

The best part about the Season pass is that you have no idea who the next character is at least 1-2 weeks before they're released because that's when they tell you who they are.

We might have an idea of Menat now because of Ed's story mode, but Zeku is a COMPLETLE unknown who we could never have predicted were it not for leaks.

And you can't use a "wait and see" strategy with them because you don't get your FM refunded if you buy the Season pass later on.

Season Passes are all about preventing consumers from making informed purchasing decisions. Tekken and IJ2 are doing the same thing as SFV is doing.

If Season Passes exhaustively described what was in the actual Season Pass then their sales would fall dramatically. I'm not even talking about just fighting games but any game. People would skip the filler DLC in games like Fallout 4 and just get the meaty DLC.

I don't know if I prefer SFV's method of advertising their Season Pass because 1) not knowing the characters is potentially hype (in theory because Capcom is leakier than the Titanic) and 2) if there's bad news about the character choices I want the Band-Aid ripped off as soon as possible. I mean, getting FM back would be a nice consolation but they specifically don't do that so you just cave in and buy the pass.

The whole industry is built on hype. If everyone was rational no one would pre-order and they'd only buy months after release when a critical consensus has been finalized and the game has dropped in price. Hype is all about selling the potential of a game to a consumer, not selling an actual product.

Side note: I like buying SFV's season passes because, moreso than any other SF game, each character is fun. Fucking around in training, doing trials, earning FM, etc. is all fun with the new characters even if I never main them. I really feel like they nailed the uniqueness of every cast member in this game despite the game's overall failings.

mbpm1

Right, because showing things before they're finished has worked so well for Capcom recently...

Today's audience doesn't appreciate the concept of "work in progress", as seen by the reaction to MvCi and Shenmue III. (especially with regards to Capcom)

Oh, so you're the reason capcoms been fucking up

Blueblur1

Other companies drop mystery season passes, and no one seems to mind. Capcom sees that, and so here we are.

They can show character art at least.

Lulubop

You think characters a few weeks from release are going to be in an unshowable state?

Scotia

Banned
I refuse to buy a season pass without knowing at least some of what's in it. I've been burnt too many times to just blindly buy something I might not even like or support. Season 1 reveal is the ideal way they should announce seasons in the future, imo.

Lulubop

The lone dragon doesn't think anything except what his capcom masters tell him to

But also Menat is probably not in a few weeks

Why wouldn't she be? they end of sept is a few weeks. When the drop her, you really think Zeku will be in an unshowable state even tho he releases less than 2 months after here?

Let's say they're not, they can still tease the character like the did Bison in Nash's trailer.

https://youtu.be/kiss8gcqXoU?t=1m22s

edit: I'm just asking for at least a tease of the next character after word.

They can show artwork for all 6 characters at the beginning of a season no problem, so that's not even a question.

Pompadour

I refuse to buy a season pass without knowing at least some of what's in it. I've been burnt too many times to just blindly buy something I might not even like or support. Season 1 reveal is the ideal way they should announce seasons in the future, imo.

Both seasons kind of had the same reveal.

Season 1: Before the game even launched the PC beta was datamined revealing every Season 1 characters.

Season 2: Before Season 2 was even revealed a leaker correctly leaked every Season 2 character.

Granted, Capcom caved after the datamining and confirmed the names of S1 fighters (but nothing else) whereas S2 is more of a open secret.

Regardless, I'd prefer names but everything else a secret. Every veteran reveal was exciting because SFV often dramatically revised the characters.

By far the simplest thing they can do without having to explicitly spoil the next character would be at the end of the trailer, to show the Capcpom logo being affected by the moveset/type of power that the next character has.
  • Like for Kolin, they show the Capcpom logo being covered in ice.
  • For Ed, they show the Capcpom logo being covered with Psycho Power.
  • For Abigairu-Kun, they show the second C in Capcpom not being there originally but having a "falling sound" get louder and louder for 4 seconds before the C falls down from above (his grab)
  • For Menat, they could have her fireball or whatever the fuck she has revolving around the logo before wandering off.
  • For Zeku, they could I don't even know what the fuck this guy will do. Throw a Nike sponsorship in there or something?
Also, they were leaked.
Well yeah, but the announcement was planned anyway.

Pompadour

FWIW, I've been told every S2 character has been done since like December iirc.

Really? So what, do they have all of S3 done, too by now?

If this is true I wouldn't be TOO surprised because I assumed the S1 characters were probably ready by launch. The story mode versions were like 99% complete.

This is all pointing towards a SSFV.

#BelieveinCapcpom

But seriously, the Season Pass would be a lot better option if you could get a FM refund. Even F2P games do this. Paladins refunds the gold you spent on heroes if you pay for the pack that has all the heroes".

Really? So what, do they have all of S3 done, too by now?

If this is true I wouldn't be TOO surprised because I assumed the S1 characters were probably ready by launch. The story mode versions were like 99% complete.

Yeah I'm thinking it's more of a "models and such were done but maybe not all of the moves/balance/additional pieces of content" situation. FWIW the season pass isn't something you should fuck with unless you trust the company and the content otherwise wait for the DLC to drop and then go in.

I don't mind them not showing them off but some better hints would be nice. Since they aren't as frequent en masse like other titles such as NRS games might as well keep the hype going.

Tekken 7 season pass was at least better since they specified

(a) that you're saving 5$ by buying the season pass as compared to ala carte

(b) the timeline for all 3 content drops

(c) that there would be 2 characters and both would be guests.

(d) announced one of the characters at least 4-5 months beforehand.

Pompadour

Tekken 7 season pass was at least better since they specified

(a) that you're saving 5$ by buying the season pass as compared to ala carte

(b) the timeline for all 3 content drops

(c) that there would be 2 characters and both would be guests.

(d) announced the character at least 4-5 months beforehand.

I guess. I mean, I bought both SFV and T7 season passes so I don't think either implementation is bad.

(a) That info is available but yeah, I guess Capcom should have specified because the savings are pretty huge. A Season Pass is $30 and all of that content by itself is $60 ($64 for S1)

(b) But it's very vague (seasons of the year) whereas SFV had some rough outlines they missed. Will see if T7 misses a date because the first DLC was dated August 2017.

(c) When they announced S2 they said Akuma + 5 new characters. They could have specified what qualifies as "new" but it was mostly clear.

(d) That one is fair but Geese's announcement was still 1.5 months after launch of T7. I guess the biggest difference is that T7 hasn't released any Season Pass content yet and announced two of three packs. SFV announced 1 "pack" (character + costume) out of 5 before you could buy the pass.

(b) But it's very vague (seasons of the year) whereas SFV had some rough outlines they missed. Will see if T7 misses a date because the first DLC was dated August 2017.
The Tekken Bowl mode is coming in September so it kinda already did lol.

Both season pass implementations are still season passes at the end of the day but at least I don't feel "starved" for information as I do with the Capcpom season passes.

Top Bottom