• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (UK, Physical)

Hasney

Well, this is certainly anecdotal but I got the digital version even though I buy pretty much only buy physical games. Who wants to put in a bluray everytime you want some quick matches. This is a game people will play for years to come. Digital is just that much more convenient for these kind of games.

At launch, PSN was £10 more and right now it's £20 more. Is that worth the effort of getting up to your console? I doubt most people would think so.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
If true, good. These third party console exclusive deals are absolutely ridiculous and people should not be supporting it

lol you think that's why it's not selling?

It's only on PS4 at retail. Charting physical copies only sold is silly. It's 2016 y'all.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. I doubt developing this broke the bank at Capcom, and they're planning on selling lots of crap for it anyway.

ethomaz

Banned
The numbers are good for launch... SFIV was all retail too (no digital version at launch) so the gap is possible not that big comparing one version.

I hope they can slowly build SFV up and relaunch with Super SFV in a year or two.

The game as is seems like a horrible deal.

Maybe get a free 2 play KI style version out with rotating free fighters at some pint as well since the game seems designed around those kind of business models already
There won't be super version lol

SFV is the SF you will have this generation with free updates.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
It has a pretty weak launch, hopefully for Capcom "playing the long game" pans out for them. It might do ok in the end, but for now it's not good.

Forkball

Well yeah, it released on one two year old platform instead of two four year old platforms. Not to mention SFIV was probably more hyped at launch since it was the rebirth of the franchise.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
In all fairness, Street Fighter IV was a complete product that had a bigger break from its predecessor.

Combine that with a pretty shitty marketing/PR campaign, poor messaging and terrible word of mouth on a grossly overpriced product on one platform and you understand less than ideal sales.

I'm sure it will have legs once the price drops significantly and the content gets to an acceptable level.

Hasney

I'd rather just leave the game case next to the ps4 than pay that much extra

Yeah, I mean, I bought digitally, but from the US store as it was cheaper than even UK retail at launch. If I was locked into the UK store or didn't know any better, I would be buying anything on disc while PSN and XBL continue to be a rip off.

Well yeah, it released on one two year old platform instead of two four year old platforms. Not to mention SFIV was probably more hyped at launch since it was the rebirth of the franchise.

There's more PS4s in peoples homes in the UK than there were PS3s at this point in the generation and this sold around half of that version of the game. Hype and marketing are probably less though.

Street Fighter V will be a long term player, if the aspirations to continuely support it through this entire gen without an updated release is followed through on, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the front loaded sales.

Pretty much.

I mean sure the opening in UK at retail is quite shit but it's clear Capcom are playing a long game with SFV.

I'm one of the guys that would like to pick it up as a legacy title in 6-12 months or so after all the updates to just screw around with my friends.

eksy

Banned
They will convince themselves the rest is digital. That digital exclusive Chun-li costume was too hot for many to pass up.

Seriously tho, interested to see cumulative numbers. Those bad reviews sure don't do it any favors, they'll have to rely on that upcoming Pro Tour they were banking on to help push sales. One force vs. another.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I think this will prove to be a promise they wish they didn't make.

When you can release a "Game of the Year" version ("don't call it Super!") with all the updated content to Walmart bargain bins everywhere... why wouldn't you?

Seems like a design decision to avoid their prior reputation of re-releasing all the time.... in an era where re-releasing games with DLC is the norm and economically unavoidable.

Germany and Nordic countries.

Central and eastern Europe

German stores have more shelf-space for PC games than any other platform

Wow! I am impressed.

PC retail is absolutely done in North America. You'd more easily find vinyl records than physical PC games. And this is a place with crap internet.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there absolutely will be. They may say there won't but they're full of it. They'll just get away with it saying it's a "GOTY" or "Complete" edition instead of Super, lol.

Edit: Beaten

Hasney

They could still call it super and re-launch the disc while everyone else gets it patched in. That would be pretty cool, but doubt it would do great at retail still.

When you can release a "Game of the Year" version ("don't call it Super!") with all the updated content to Walmart bargain bins everywhere... why wouldn't you?

Seems like a design decision to avoid their prior reputation of re-releasing all the time.... in an era where re-releasing games with DLC is the norm and economically unavoidable.

They'll definitely release a "Complete Edition" or whatever and it won't be a promise broken.

With Super SF IV, you had to buy a new version of the game to receive the new content. That won't be the case here.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

They only said you'll always be able to play with basic SFV, doesn't mean they can't put together a version with last season's DLC characters and some other stuff and put it in stores. Whatever that may be called.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Just like Resudent Evil 4 was never leaving GameCube? Capcom chases the money.

Re-releasing Street Fighter games is a part of their DNA. I have no doubt there'll be a Super Ultra Turbo Hyper Deluxe Arcade Ex plus Alpha edition on disc later down the track. You can pretty much put your house on it.

The numbers are good for launch... SFIV was all retail too (no digital version at launch) so the gap is possible not that big comparing one version.

They may not call it Super but I wouldn't rule out later retail releases that rolls all the current DLC and updates onto a disc. It's just that unlike the last gen, you won't need to buy it if you've already have SFV and it won't split the online base into separate pools.

ethomaz

Banned
They only said you'll always be able to play with basic SFV, doesn't mean they can't put together a version with last season's DLC characters and some other stuff and put it in stores. Whatever that may be called.
They clearly said they won't make super version.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there absolutely will be. They may say there won't but they're full of it. They'll just get away with it saying it's a "GOTY" or "Complete" edition instead of Super, lol.

Edit: Beaten

If the release that's out now is updated to "Super" for FREE than its in line to what they said. Which I feel they will do because they will add more gameplay elements to the game like they did with all SF games. Im sure eventually there will be more than one Critical Art for each character at least.

Hasney

Re-releasing Street Fighter games is a part of their DNA. I have no doubt there'll be a Super Ultra Turbo Hyper Deluxe Arcade Ex plus Alpha edition on disc later down the track. You can pretty much put your house on it.

Well yeah, but the gameplay patches will still be patched into the base game, the character DLC will just be added in to that boxed version most likely which the rest of us can get for free or pay for.

Kain

The question is what numbers were Capcom expecting.

As for the Super version, there will not be a Super version, but a complete package with all the DLC? Yes, for sure, and it will be in agreement with everything they promised. There is nothing wrong with a retail version of the game with all the DLC included a year after launch.

Hasney

2 million by the end of March. With Japans sales not being up there either, it's basically betting on the US to pick up the slack to hit that.

Wow, that bombed hard.

Is Street Fighter still relevant in the UK?

Not hugely to be honest, but we also had 0 advertising at all. On SteamSpy, France is beating out the UK in terms of owner numbers.

1 platform AND...

Let's remember how SF4 was essentially the end of a decade-long fighter draught. It brought in the fighter-starved fans as well as the nostalgic casual fans who hadn't played it since the 90s.

I remember people buying SF4 sight-unseen on launch day, then later confessing "oh it's this unrealistic game with fireballs and shit... In my mind's eye I thought it was a more realistic MMA kind of thing from my childhood memories of it..."

I confess that I'm a person who was like "shut up and take my money!!!" in 2008, while now I'm like "I care about this about as much as I care about the Nth release of SF4"

BTW I do think the lack of content at launch has very very very little to do with this, despite how I'm sure the diehard fanbase will interpret the sales, lacking perspective.

This argument is flawed as long as SFV sold worse than SSFIV as well. The fact that Capcom wasn't able to retain a substantial fanbase from SFIV is worrying here.

As for the Super version, there will not be a Super version, but a complete package with all the DLC? Yes, for sure, and it will be in agreement with everything they promised. There is nothing wrong with a retail version of the game with all the DLC included a year after launch.

2 Mil WW from both platforms by end of fiscal year

Really? It's almost a third of the sales of MKX
It's - possibly - similar sales to one version of MKX for a game that is avaiable on one platform.

Besides, SFV was never going to compare to MKX in sales at launch. But then again, that's considering the game did close to 24.300

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They can call it "Street Fighter 2017", doesn't matter. What they meant were non-compatible upgrades like 4 had so many of.

Two. I'll still buy digital after a heavy price drop. Buying fighters on disc just seems silly these days.

Hasney

They can call it "Street Fighter 2017", doesn't matter. What they meant were non-compatible upgrades like 4 had so many of.

Street Fighter 2017. Finally, a true sequel to Street Fighter 2010. I can't wait to see what that future looks like.

So no news on the digital numbers?

It will be less than the retail figures almost certainly whatever the case, which would mean it sold less than SFIV on PS3 alone no matter what.

Guymelef

Not true, even last week press release about servers issues said this:

Additional Street Fighter V content will be added throughout 2016, with the first update coming in March. We would like to assure players that the initial purchase you make for Street Fighter V is definitely the only one you need to make to ensure you have the latest version of the game, as content including the additional characters is earnable for free and the Cinematic Story Expansion, for those of you who want an in-depth single player story mode experience, will be added into the game for free in June. There will be no Super, Ultra, Hyper or Turbo editions of the game. Street Fighter V is it.

Well the Super version will probably just be the equivalent of a complete edition with a bunch of DLC fighters and updates on the disc that then has a new season pass to buy.

Heck that was basically the model they took with 4 but maybe they pull a Destiny with SFV and keep updating the base game regardless of DLC so you can still play it online but you will probably have a terrible experience.

NeonZ

Street Fighter V will be a long term player, if the aspirations to continuely support it through this entire gen without an updated release is followed through on, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the front loaded sales.

SFV will be a "long term player" if this launch isn't a failure. I really don't think we'll see Capcom supporting it long term if it fails to meet their initial targets. They didn't even want to make the game without Sony's backing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This argument is flawed as long as SFV sold worse than SSFIV as well. The fact that Capcom wasn't able to retain a substantial fanbase from SFIV is worrying here.

The argument isn't flawed at all. The sales from SF4 -> SS4 -> SS4:AE - > USS4 were on an onward decline. There's no reason to expect SSV to be right at the beginning of the cycle. It came out in an era where SF releases are routine, and can't be compared to the comeback moment.

Sounds right to me!

Top Bottom