• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Finds The Defenders Least Watched from Netflix/Marvel in U.S.

mreddie

NOTE: THIS ISN'T CONCRETE, NETFLIX DOESN'T REVEAL THE NUMBERS TO WHAT USER WATCHED WHAT SHOW SO REMEMBER THAT.

the-defenders-5.jpg

Yeah, this is not encouraging...

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-marvel-the-defenders-least-viewed-series-debut-1202564402/

“Marvel’s The Defenders,” featuring the street-hero characters, was the least-watched Netflix Marvel original series premiere in the U.S. as measured over the first 30 days of viewership, according to an analysis by Jumpshot, a marketing-analytics firm.

For the comparison, Jumpshot created an index benchmarking each of the Netflix Marvel series against the top-viewed of the bunch, which was “Daredevil” season 2 in March 2016. Following its Aug. 18 premiere, “The Defenders” clocked in with just 17% of the viewership that “Daredevil” season two received in the first 30 days. The study looked at Netflix U.S. subs who watched at least one episode of each series.

Compared with “The Defenders,” the previous premieres of “Iron Fist,” “Luke Cage” and “Jessica Jones” performed relatively equally in the first 30 days, accounting for 28%, 27% and 26% of “Daredevil” season 2’s viewership, respectively. In addition to being the least-viewed of the group, “The Defenders” also had the largest week-over-week drop in viewership, declining by 67%, 48% and 41%, respectively, over the 30-day period, per Jumpshot.

With Punisher and Runaways around the corner and no SHIELD til 2018, Marvel TV needs a win.
Inhumass LOL

In case you wanted to know how it fared, this is how Jumpshot showed the US views around Iron Fist's first month on Netflix. AGAIN, THESE NUMBERS DO NOT COME FROM NETFLIX, BUT FROM A MARKETING FIRM THAT LOOKS AT VIEWING HABITS AND SOCIAL MEDIA REACTIONS

netflix-original-series-premieres-numbers-30-days-1016569.png

Give this thread to Kingpin if old.

Air

Banned
It's not very good. Iron fist was a poor lead up to it and it flubbed where it mattered most

Iron fist was so poor I didn't care about marvel television anymore, and I was following every mcu show. It really soured me personally and I'm guess I wasn't alone.

I haven't watched it yet. Just don't feel like it.

Truth be told I've been more interested in Punisher since it was confirmed. Something tells me I'm not the only one like this.

I think iron fist really hurt this series and it's come out. Danny Rand is a much. Enter character than marvel tv would have you believe.

Not

Banned
But get Scott Buck on more stuff!

I swear that guy must be sleeping his way to the top

Is that offensive? I'm being absurdist, as men typically don't have to give sexual favors in order to fail upward in this amazing, fantastic world we live in but I want to be sure

I watched part of the first episode and quit cause it was just boring. Marvel Netflix has nearly completely lost me. I'm not holding my breath that Punisher will be any good.

Yikes. Honestly I wasn't too hot about any of these Marvel/Netflix shows. I saw DD Season 1 and 2 and Jessica Jones and didn't find any of them above Middling, and definitely not worth the 13 hours it took to get through them so I just stopped there. Glad to see I wasn't missing much....

Conversely, I'm surprised at how low Stranger Things is given the insane hype around it. Daredevil just took everything by storm apparently.
It's the first 30 days. More people watched it afterwards I'm assuming. I heard about it more from friends months later.

mreddie

Conversely, I'm surprised at how low Stranger Things is given the insane hype around it. Daredevil just took everything by storm apparently.

Yeah, I had to believe since it was a Summer show, the hype didn't catch on til weeks later.

Also, Fist is getting a Season 2 yet Sense8 is getting canned.

I don't know if blaming Iron Fist is really the move considering none of the other shows can apparently get within 75% of Daredevil S2's numbers.

Granted, I never watched Iron Fist, but that's partially because none of these shows (especially Daredevil Season 2) can hold my attention for longer than 5 or 6 episodes total.

Defenders was only 8 episodes and I punched out by Episode 4.

On a side note, while Danny's character is utterly fucked beyond repair (and he really is) the other character that is almost as poorly handled is Jess.

Jessica Jones is a one-dimensional sneer, and has been since like, the 4th episode of her own show. She's like a bad caricature of her character. It's doing both Jess and Krysten Ritter a disservice.

I have hopes for Punisher because it's a Hannibal writer showrunning it, but I mean - if any of these Marvel netflix shows manages to run off even 10 episodes without my will to continue watching falling off a fucking cliff, it'll be the first.

side note: How reliable are these numbers if Stranger Things is that low. Or rather - is it possible Daredevil Season 2's numbers are fucking way off?

Because I'm struggling to find a reason why DD2 was that much more popular.

surprised how low Stranger Things is in those rankings, it felt like one of those big pop culture moments of the year but I guess it wasn't really the case?

Not

Banned
I know there's no way to say whether Jumpshot is 100% accurate, but is it fair to assume that their claim fewer people watched JJ and LC than Iron Fist is correct?

Because that fucking sucks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should have the Punisher murder everyone else so we can reboot the whole mess.

Sean C

surprised how low Stranger Things is in those rankings, it felt like one of those big pop culture moments of the year but I guess it wasn't really the case?
These numbers are just for the first thirty days. Since Stranger Things wasn't a franchise show, it wouldn't be as frontloaded as something like Daredevil Season 2 or even a later Marvel TV show.

Of course, we also have no idea how accurate these numbers are. They're just an attempt to create a measure for Netflix viewing totals, since we don't have the actual totals.

mreddie

I have hopes for Punisher because it's a Hannibal writer showrunning it, but I mean - if any of these Marvel netflix shows manages to run off even 10 episodes without my will to continue watching falling off a fucking cliff, it'll be the first.

side note: How reliable are these numbers if Stranger Things is that low. Or rather - is it possible Daredevil Season 2's numbers are fucking way off?

Because I'm struggling to find a reason why DD2 was that much more popular.

Jumpshot is basically a marketing joint and study binge watching stuff like Netlfix. Again, Things I assume was a slow burn which could be why the hype is getting bigger for S2.
The same is said for DD S2, people loved S1 so much and word spread, this was also in 2014 where the Hero TV boom was getting started.

NH Apache

Banned
There was no fanfare on release. It's like everyone wanted to wipe their hands and walk.

Hopefully, Punisher resets the tone and shows quality.

Not

Banned
I could believe that Stranger Things was a slow boom. I remember not watching it for a few weeks from lack of interest. It was a new property altogether. Compared to DDs2 which had hype.

Struct09

I haven't watched it yet myself. Iron Fist was so bad that it burned me out. I'll get around to it eventually though.

Top Bottom