• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Heavy Marijuana use is Highly Concentrated Among the Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article says the habits and demographics of marijuana mimic smoking cigarettes.

It does, but that doesn't mean it's more harmful or as addictive as alcohol.

I'd also submit that heavy use is one thing, but the poor are paying more for it because it's illegal. Bigger financial impact.

G.ZZZ

Are there some addictions that aren't correlated with being poor?

As far as i know, some addictions are, like sex addiction, and coke addiction iirc.

But the majority of cases point on being poor being a major addiction risk. It's a problem as old as society itself and until we solve poverty we won't solve it.

I smoke because I'm poor, I'm poor because I smoke....

This is every single one of my friends that smokes weed regularly. I don't care about how much they smoke, that's their business but I can't help to think how much they could improve their lives if they saved some money. Video games and cool tech are my drug though, so I guess you could say I'm being a hypocrite. Thankfully I can resell that stuff though.

batbeg

This is definitely my group of friends, though I'm probably the only one not below the line of poverty amongst us. My roommate has made less than 20k a year the last 2 years and smokes all day every day though, as does my sometimes best friend.

I do daily but only after work because I have a decent job for my lack of qualifications.

glow

Banned
Sure, the expensive ones.

Depends on the severity of the habit. There are (usually homeless) heroin addicts who can scrape by on $20 a day and there are ones who need to spend $80+ a day.

I always laugh when I see people say "I smoke a lot of weed." That could mean a few times a week, a few times a day or once a day. Be specific when talking about your habit.

This is every single one of my friends that smokes weed regularly. I don't care about how much they smoke, that's their business but I can't help to think how much they could improve their lives if they saved some money. Video games and cool tech are my drug though, so I guess you could say I'm being a hypocrite. Thankfully I can resell that stuff though.

If I could somehow contact Younger Me, I'd tell myself not to smoke so much in one sitting. "You're already high enough, dumbass, stop wasting it." Then I'd tell me that girl wasn't worth it and to play the guitar more.

molotrok

A couple of friends I had back in highschool, of which I used to smoke weed with, became heavy smokers and have pretty much been stagnant when it comes to their financial situation.
I also had an ex that was/is a heavy user who lives of the government and child support. Even with a bachelors, since she refuses to take a drug test for employnent.

Just a couple of anecdotes.

Poor people looking for an escape from a life with limited access to joys. This is why the best programs to reduce drug use are those which reduce poverty.

Doc_Drop

Money gets you through times when you have no weed, weed gets you through times when you have no money

But really there have been many studies outlining the prevalence of chemical stimulation in people (or animals in the sense of the tests) increases when there are less activities or people to engage with. People with a low income have less disposable income so therefore have less spare money to entertain themselves. Weed is a good drug for people with low income as it is a relatively cheap way to fight boredom. £20 could afford me an evening/night at the pub or a bag of weed that could last up to or over a week.

Yeah, sounds like me except I don't spend anywhere near that kind of money on my habit. I usually work 10 hour days and come home, take some hits off the vapor and chill. Getting a decent vaporizer is the best way to save money, if your doing it any other way you're doing it wrong :)

I think this is obvious. Barely any of them work, all to lazy strung out on weed.

This is a joke, right..........?

andthebeatgoeson

When marijuana becomes legal, we'll get another round of 'don't use your welfare money on x' legislation. Again.

Will probably use it to criticize legalization efforts.

hunchback

15% of users spent 25% of their entire income on weed!

This is what surprised me most. Marijuana is not cheap, especially if using on a regular basis. Add in having a spouse or significant other also using and that's a lot of money. You're looking at 300 for a ounce.

Booze is much cheaper. Especially when you consider malt liquor and cheap wine. Interesting findings.

BokehKing

Banned
Heavy marijuana use is high among the middle and upper class as well

It's the safe alternative to alcohol

What are they trying to paint here?

Had a roommate that spent his money on weed and hockey equipment rather than paying rent. Sold his numerous $200 hockey sticks and kicked him out. I don't feel bad that he made the choice to be an idiot rather than be responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom