• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study Says Sexualization of Female Video Game Characters Can Lead to Sexual Harassment.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A study conducted by Jonathan Burnay (University of Liege), Brad J Bushman (Ohio State University), and Frank Laroi (University of Bergen) called “Effects of sexualized video games on online sexual harassment” looks to answer that question. The study consisted of 211 participants, with some asked to play Ultra Street Fighter 4 with sexualized female characters, and some asked to play the same game with non-sexualized female characters (achieved by equipping different costumes, though the costumes shown in the image from the research appear to be mods and not part of the base game). After playing, participants were given the chance to send sexist jokes to a male or female partner.

The researchers predicted that those who played Ultra Street Fighter 4 with sexualized female characters would be more likely to sexually harass female partners than those who didn’t. The results showed that sexual harassment toward a female partner was more common for “participants who played the game with sexualized female characters” when compared to those who did not. “These findings indicate that sexualization of female characters in a video game can be a sufficient condition to provoke online sexual harassment toward women.”

The researchers named two results from their study that surprised them. One is that more sexist jokes were actually sent to men than to women. Secondly, researchers found that female participants sent “significantly more sexist jokes than male participants.”

Since this is a subject that hasn’t been researched all that much, it’s clear that more studies are needed. One area that the researchers suggest further studies should explore is how the violence in the game may have impacted the results. “Future studies might address this limitation by explicitly distinguishing between sexualized content and violent content,” they explained.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The article doesn't include any detailed data or information. What are they considering "sexist jokes".? Were the people who played with the sexualized costumes more likely to send "sexist jokes" prior to participating in the study also?

sexually harass female partners

The fuck does this even mean?

Based on the previous paragraph I think they are considering sending "sexist jokes" as their criteria.

Last edited:
The results showed that sexual harassment toward a female partner was more common for “participants who played the game with sexualized female characters” when compared to those who did not.
The researchers named two results from their study that surprised them. One is that more sexist jokes were actually sent to men than to women. Secondly, researchers found that female participants sent “significantly more sexist jokes than male participants.”
So when a "sexist joke" is sent to a woman, it's potential sexual harassment. But then when it turns out the majority of sexist jokes are told by women to men, the sexual harassment is no longer mentioned. I wonder who decided to word it that way.

petran79

Banned
So if they used pregnant mods they'd want to impregnate their female partners?
If they were using muscle or fat mods, would they urge their partners to go the the gym or become obese?

CJY

Banned
0nk5lTH.gif

ROMhack

Interesting study. They're basically suggesting that the presence of sexual stimuli increased propensity to reference sexist jokes, which they class as 'harassment'.

It's also a lab experiment so not exactly something that replicates real life. Always a limitation of that particular methodology.

The article doesn't include any detailed data or information. What are they considering "sexist jokes".? Were the people who played with the sexualized costumes more likely to send "sexist jokes" prior to participating in the study also?

Based on the previous paragraph I think they are considering sending "sexist jokes" as their criteria.

They mention the following but don't mention exactly what the jokes were. I'd hope it's in the Appendices of the original study.

In this task, participants were presented with 16 PowerPoint slides. Each slide contained a pair of jokes written in French. Odd-numbered slides contained two nonsexist jokes (e.g., “Why do sharks swim in salt water? Because pepper would make them sneeze!”), and even-numbered slides contained one sexist joke and one nonsexist joke. Sexist jokes were gender specific. That is, female sexist jokes were used for female partners (e.g., “Why is it called PMS? Because ‘Mad Cow Disease’ was already taken.”), whereas male sexist jokes were used for male partners (e.g., “What do you call a man who has lost his intelligence? A widower”). Participants had to decide which of the two jokes to send their partner using a Skype chat.

Bold is a good point. They do mention 'internal states' in the Limitations section but don't proceed to mention this specifically.

Published study here --> https://orbi.uliege.be/bitstream/2268/231494/1/Burnay, Bushman & Laroi - 2019.pdf

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
A pattern that still arbitrary though. Even then, sexist joke to opposite partners are sexual harassment now? What kind of hypothesis is this?

I never had a gaming console or PC as a kid but I remember when I was 7, in first grade, I was chasing this girl to drop her pants in the school grounds during lunch break for days. So no, not true about games.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You guys are missing something important:

Last edited:

ROMhack

I also find it funny that they had to use lewd mods for their research since apparently vanilla Ultra Street Fighter 4 wasn't sexy enough.

Yeah they went looking for it a bit. A follow-up study could use more normal costumes to see the effects.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This study is garbage.

- only 211 participants
- everyone was offered the chance to send a sexist joke, which means they weren't allowed to be naturally sexist on their own accord
- men received more harassment, and women were more sexist than the men were

But HEY, IT CAN LEAD TO SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN OUR CAREFULLY-RIGGED TEST.

Concerned mothers can fuck off. Are we gleefully charging back into Jack Thompson days?

RedVIper

Banned
This is super disengenous and a shit test.

211 people participated.
No control group as far as I can tell.
The women are more sexist than men.
Sexual harassment=sexist jokes, somehow.
How dafuq do you measure how sexist a joke is.
But hei, makes for a nice headline.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
You guys are missing something important:

Male burka then.

Saber

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me why the heck they were presented with powerpoint slides with sexist jokes?

Why they have to watch sexist jokes in the first place? Weren't this test supposed to proves that female sexualized characters naturally leads to sexual harassment?

This research sounds fishy and misleading.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Can someone explain to me why the heck they were presented with powerpoint slides with sexist jokes?

Why they have to watch sexist jokes in the first place? Weren't this test supposed to proves that female sexualized characters naturally leads to sexual harassment?

This research sounds fishy and misleading.

Yeah, I can see what they were going for but it seems quite unnatural.

Only in the context of this study, players were more inclined to send sexist jokes after playing as sexualised characters. It can be used to support further studies but in no way is it a definitive study itself.

Last edited:
This study is garbage.

- only 211 participants
- everyone was offered the chance to send a sexist joke, which means they weren't allowed to be naturally sexist on their own accord
- men received more harassment, and women were more sexist than the men were

But HEY, IT CAN LEAD TO SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN OUR CAREFULLY-RIGGED TEST.

Concerned mothers can fuck off. Are we gleefully charging back into Jack Thompson days?

Yeah, their methodology was shoddy at best. Also, if you present participants with a PowerPoint presentation full of sexist jokes, maybe that's the reason why they sent those sexist jokes and not the game they played prior to that. Exposing participants to a second behavior trigger that is not controlled for is unscientific and might heavily skew your results.

Basically their study should be more aptly titled:

Effects of [our] sexualized video games PowerPoint presentation on online sexual harassment

#Phonepunk#

Banned
3 dudes studying 211 people playing 1 fighting game

Yeah this proves nothing besides it’s easy as fuck to get paid for bullshit studies

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
So me and my pea brain once learned to check things like sources, here's what the source says
Participants (N = 211) played a video game with either sexualized or non‐sexualized female characters. After gameplay, they had the opportunity to sexually harass a male or a female partner by sending them sexist jokes.
SEXIST. JOKES. THAT'S THE SEXUAL HARASSMENT THEY MEAN. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Reminds me of these "NINETY EIGHT PERCENT OF RAPE ON CAMPUS IS MEN RAPING WOMEN" and then when you check what they deem rape it'd be shit like "dey called her slut, iz rape"

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
This study is fascinating. Why are some of you guys discounting the findings?

The way the test was meant to be is to prove that sexual characters tends sexual harassment from the test subjects.

The problem is that the subjects were influenced by pre-made sex jokes.

Last edited:

Fragment

I mean Ms. Pac-Man likes eating balls so of course the only logical conclusion gamers could come to is that ALL women would enjoy their balls. That's how it's done right?

This study is so freaking pathetic.. So they take what I assume to be straight men that gravitate towards an attraction to the opposite sex and equate that to them being more aggressive.

Why don't you just do testosterone test of males instead of video games? I wonder what the result will be..

I hope nobody pays much attention to "research" like this where the results are per-determined and then used as ammunition for terrible arguments and come up with terms like toxic masculinity eventually leading to shitty razor commercials against men.. that would be the worst timeline to live in.

I'm also sure that men harass other men more it's our competitive nature.

Last edited:

Hudo

So, I skimmed over the paper and while they have a sample size of 211 (which is actually far more than most studies of this sort), which is not bad, they don't seem to have a control group/baseline group, which shouldn't actually make it publishable in any conference proceedings. Also, I would have liked to see their data tested against more than the one confluence model, to see if it holds on other models as well. However, studies in psychology currently suffer a huge reproducability problem... So, I haven't gotten far into the paper and look up whether their method is properly reproducible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

joe_zazen

3 dudes studying 211 people playing 1 fighting game

Yeah this proves nothing besides it’s easy as fuck to get paid for bullshit studies

You’d be surprised how easy it is to get funding in certain areas and how hard it is in others. Like for decades, it was almost impossible to get money to study the role of high fuctose corn syrup and cane sugar in obesity. But want to study fats? Cha-ching! Cuz scientists love money just like everyone else. There is sooooooo much politic-ing in academia, and the hard sciences can be the worst. Right now, try floating a study that has even a tiny skepticism towards global warming.

Top Bottom