• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide attack at Iraqi soccer stadium kills at least 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellz

Most people that ISIS kills are muslims. I wonder if people will put the Iraqi flag on their Facebook profile picture now.

A man wearing a suicide belt walked into an Iraqi soccer stadium Friday and blew himself up -- killing at least 25 people and wounding 90 more, security officials said.

A crowd had gathered for a ceremony to mark a championship for a popular local soccer team when the bomb exploded, the head of the Babil province security committee, Baydhan al Hamdani, told CNN.
The attacker struck at al-Shuhadaa stadium in the Babil province city of Iskandariya, roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Baghdad.
A video posted on YouTube and then taken down showed soccer players standing in front of a table holding trophies until an explosion occurred and the video ended. CNN could not independently authenticate the video.
ISIS claimed responsibility, according to a statement posted online by supporters.
The special representative of the U.N. Secretary-General for Iraq, Jan Kubis, condemned the bombing by "Daesh," another term for ISIS.
"The evildoers are aiming their wrath at the innocent and vulnerable civilians," he said. "Today, Daesh committed yet another atrocity, targeting families who were enjoying their weekend attending a football game in their hometown. This abhorrent act deserves the strongest condemnation."
Kubis urged Iraqis to unite to thwart the terrorists' goals of inciting sectarian tensions in the country.
The Sunni Islamist extremist group has boasted about terrorist attacks around the world, most recently this week's carnage in Brussels that killed 31 people and wounded more than 300.
The bulk of ISIS' brutal actions -- not to mention the vast majority of its active members -- are in the Middle East. It spawned in the mid-2000s from al Qaeda in Iraq, and it has captured large swaths of territory in both Iraq and neighboring Syria in recent years.

source: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/25/middleeast/iraq-violence/index.html

Ashes

Banned
:/

Muslim majority cities getting hit by isis don't really garner as much attention as Western cities. Just the way it is in the current climate.

Frosta

Banned
Sad that this will garner no attention, and if an attack like this happened in any White Christian majority country it would be plastered on every news station. I guess not all lives are equal.. :(

RIP to the lost lives

N.Domixis

Banned
This is what angers me, they only care when its first world christian countries that get attacked. When it happens in countries like here no one cares.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Note to these vermin.

God isn't watching this. None of your "martyrs" have gone anywhere but the dirt. If your god is so wondrous, he doesn't need illiterate young men to murder civilians in his name. It has all been waste and damaged the religion and cultures and regions you claim to care about.

I wish you were even half right, because then I know you'd be going to hell.

Razo999

Neo Member
It is sad that first nations doesn't consider all lives equal. Even here on Neogaf, watch this thread die off quickly. Guess this is the realities of human nature.

Ashes

Banned
It is sad that first nations doesn't consider all lives equal. Even here on Neogaf, watch this thread die off quickly. Guess this is the realities of human nature.

To a certain degree, it might be because people can relate to Europe more so than the middle East.

I think it might be also because people are just desensitised to the middle East. It's just back ground noise now like folks starving in Africa or water issues on the same continent.

Frosta

Banned
To a certain degree, it might be because people can relate to Europe more so than the middle East.

I think it might be also because people are just desensitised to the middle East. It's just back ground noise now like folks starving in Africa or water issues on the same continent.

What about Turkey? Not much media coverage of the recent attacks, at least not to the same extent as Belgium.. I think there is more to it than just that.

Ashes

Banned
Turkey can't even get into EU easily, though yes, to my mind it bridges the gap between Europe and the middle East.

Jumeira

Banned
ISIS and their sympathisers don't view normal muslims as muslims. We're all their target, why some people can't understand that really baffles me.

Hycran

Banned
saw the video in the normal place one sees such videos, a lot of the injured are kids, like, small, small kids. If the god you believe in rewards you for killing 7 year olds, it's no wonder i'm a staunch atheist

Tenebrous

Atrocities occur in the Middle East & Africa far more often than they do in Europe. If we had domestic terror attacks as frequently in the UK as they do in the ME then the news wouldn't be as "big" either.

injurai

Banned
Yup.

This right here

Some what, but I also find this thinking cynical.

Not only is it expectations, but it's the proliferation of this news in the media. People will come onto gaf to talk about big events. Which is why the Brussels thread got so big. Plus people in the west feel a certain jurisdiction to talking about the west.

Stinkles

Are Muslims targeting them now? It seems like they are making enemies with everyone.

They target anyone who doesn't agree with their distorted interpretation of their faith. An interpretation created by intellectually dishonest founders and elites based loosely on Wahhabism.

People are desensitized to the atrocities that happen there. It honestly seems like it's just another day, like it's the norm there. Similarly we don't really give a whole lot of attention to murders that happen in "gang neighborhoods" here because it's isolated and seems commonplace.

As sad as it is, you're right, it is human nature. Besides that nobody could possibly absorb all of the awful shit that happens worldwide on a daily basis. You'd spend all day every day just reading up on it, failing to keep up, and then either descending into a bottomless pit of misery, or becoming cold to it all.

As someone who lives in the capital of a European country, I don't have greater empathy for the lives torn apart here compared to Brussels, but I care a lot more about the Story in Belgium; it had potentially huge relevance to me, where as this story had basically none; it's "just" a tragic, sad event. I think people pushing the "look, people don't care unless it happens in a white country" are almost always being intentionally obtuse so they can get on their high horse.

Any member of the Islamic State is a fucking coward, simple as that
They are literally against everyone who doesn't follow their own interpretation of what Islam is meant to be. Their only allies are a few crazy groups and Boko Haram.
I find it depressing that middle-eastern countries and Muslims are their biggest victims yet it's all about us westerners as soon as it hits us (and it's all because of da Moozlims!!! thanks trump)

Praying for a situation that hasn't gotten better since 2014 anyway.

edit: RIP obviously. So many innocent lives, so many experiences, so much beauty taken off the world and written off history because of clowns with guns.

Stinkles

It's one of these ridiculous instances of tribalism that you don't understand no matter how much you read about it.

Actually sectarianism comes from competition for resources, converts and land. And is intensified by proximity. See Northern Ireland, India, et al.

Muslim majority cities getting hit by isis don't really garner as much attention as Western cities. Just the way it is in the current climate.

Only Muslims can solve this problem I feel. The more non Muslim intervention occurs the worse the problem gets.

The good guys in the Muslim world which is the majority need to sort this dirty virus in their religion and quickly.

The apathy in the West is growing from an already large view point.

Desensitisation at work. If we had been seeing dozens upon dozens of beheading, bomb attack and shooting videos coming out of Belgium over the last dozen years, it wouldn't get much play and their flag colours wouldn't be illuminating landmarks either. Its also not in our neighbourhood so to speak.

If the guy across the street was killed, I'd be leaving flowers on the doorstep, if it's a guy two towns over I may read the headline. Just the way it is.

RIP to the victims of these attacks.

Ashes

Banned
Only Muslims can solve this problem I feel. The more non Muslim intervention occurs the worse the problem gets.

The good guys in the Muslim world which is the majority need to sort this dirty virus in their religion and quickly.

The apathy in the West is growing from an already large view point.

The Muslim world has Saudi Arabia at its helm - and look how they are going about the business! Worse than even the Russians who had ulterior motives!

The rest of the world should stop selling guns to autocratic regimes. And also stop buying oil from autocratic regimes too.

Don't wait for autocratic regimes to change. We should take back control of our own borders and laws and stop giving them money and thus power.

Which is unacceptable given that the western attacks are used to justify distrusting and refusing and oppressing refugees who are victims of ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom