• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Achieves $260M+ WW & Rotten Tomato Score of 26%

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
“Suicide Squad” smashed records, scoring a colossal $135.1 million debut despite suffering some of the worst reviews of the year.

That sets a new high-water mark for an August launch, lapping “Guardians of the Galaxy’s” $94.3 million bow. It also ranks as a new personal best for star Will Smith, trumping “I Am Legend’s” $77.2 million debut in 2007. The action spectacle is resonating with foreign crowds. “Suicide Squad” earned $132 million overseas from 57 territories, bringing its global total to more than $267 million.

“It bested anything that we could have expected,” said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. distribution executive vice president. “The marketing campaign was brilliant and the performances by the cast, starting with Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto, were just extraordinary. They’re fun and wicked and fans enjoy it.”

tumblr_lu467g3wbc1qj8a6v.gif

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/suicide-squad-box-office-will-smith-1201832158/

katkombat

Banned
Personally liked the movie. Could've had a lot more character development for a few characters. Didn't overstay it's welcome though

zeemumu

Do you think they had a Suicide Squad of executives? Like if they failed to make the numbers, they'd throw them under the bus?

bidguy

Banned
guess it had a good marketing campaign

i liked what i saw from the trailers but considering the reviews and news about the weird recut im gonna stay home and wait for VOD

DeathyBoy

Banned
I can imagine Jeff is happy that he took the message onboard from a time travelling David Ayers.

David: Jeff... Jeff... listen to me... you were right about him, you were always right... am I too soon? I'm too soon. Make me cut Jared. You have to make me cut Jared's performance. Find me Jeff...

Another example that reviews alone can't tank a film. Or another win for marketing. It's different enough from the standard superhero fare to have gained an audience regardless of critical opinion.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If only it was a good movie, it would of had some legs. Expecting a pretty heavy drop next weekend.

Abounder

Banned
Shame it won't catch Furious 7, but once again a diverse cast paid off when it comes to attracting audience demographics (more blacks, latinos, and women buying tickets than the average superhero blockbuster in USA). Fuck yea.

3N16MA

Banned
Interesting to see how far the actuals are from WB estimate. Saturday was looking at a big drop and 135M looked out of reach. Perhaps the early numbers were a little off and WB estimates a better than expected Sunday hold.

Another example that reviews alone can't tank a film. Or another win for marketing. It's different enough from the standard superhero fare to have gained an audience regardless of critical opinion.

batman vs superman tanked after the first week end mainly because of reviews and word of mouth,

if suicide squad has no legs, the reviews and word of mouth will be why

DeathyBoy

Banned
Shame it won't catch Furious 7, but once again a diverse cast paid off when it comes to attracting audience demographics (more blacks, latinos, and women than the average superhero blockbuster). Fuck yea.

But see it's a bad film so it shouldn't make money and you shouldn't say it's s good thing if it makes money because we don't work at a studio.

Jacqli

I liked the idea of the bad guys doing the job, but the movie's plot left a lot to be desired as it barely made sense and had any kind of cohesion. The pacing was also weird (many flashbacks) and some characters just were there because of marketing reasons.

I did not have any expectations and it was entertaining so I liked it, but there many aspects to improve.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Interesting to see how far the actuals are from WB estimate. Saturday was looking at a big drop and 135M looked out of reach. Perhaps the early numbers were a little off and WB estimates a better than expected Sunday hold.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Saturday & Sunday numbers are a tad overestimated by Warner. We'll see by Monday I guess.

Surfinn

BvS had HUGE drops after opening weekend. Lots of people bought tickets in advance for this film. Once word of mouth sets in its legs will collapse.

WillyFive

Marketing and hype dictates the first week, quality and word of mouth will dictate every other week. Batman v Superman learned this the hard way.

It already suffered a cataclysmic drop from Friday to Saturday. Reviews and WoM are already tanking it. We're just waiting to see by how much.

cj_iwakura

batman vs superman tanked after the first week end mainly because of reviews and word of mouth,

if suicide squad has no legs, the reviews and word of mouth will be why

Unlike BvS, SS seems to have better word of mouth. Next week's results will be pretty telling.

WB's gonna start having review embargoes after this, heh.

Congrats to everyone involved I just like to see movies do well despite the "critics" both in press and in the internet in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom