• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
top 10(including movies)

Higurashi
Steins Gate
Usagi Drop
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Tenchi Muyo! in Love
Cowboy Bebop
Love Hina
Big O
Gundam Wing
Clannad: After Story(depends on the day)

Confession: I don't buy BluRays, I've always stuck to DVDs for all my stuff.

Largely due to the fact that I don't own a BluRay player, or indeed a HDTV to play them on.

Also, I'm a tightwad, so if it's between the BluRay version at £20 and the DVD version for £10, the DVD version always wins.

(And also that in the UK, anime BluRays are rarer then hen's teeth).

cajunator

Banned
Confession: I don't buy BluRays, I've always stuck to DVDs for all my stuff.

Largely due to the fact that I don't own a BluRay player, or indeed a HDTV to play them on.

I wasl ike that for a long time. the cost of HD was too high relative to the advancement. Especially since I'm blind as a fucking bat as it is. You should see my glasses.
The prices came down though and the durability of the discs due to the coating they put on there makes them desirable to own for long term collection.

Dresden

It has a lot more highschool age males than Baccano.

No, the appeal lies with a pair somewhat older.

hGHCM.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is it worth checking out? (well assuming its sees BD release outside of JPN).
There are some cool things to it, but it kind of never knows what it wants to be. It sets up a number of characters that it just doesn't really take advantage of, and the concepts it grapples with feel undercooked with things being pulled in so many directions. It's worth trying though, and I think you might enjoy it.

El Sloth

Banned
Is it because our preferences don't match?
I'm not famaliar enough with any of those to make a good reccomendation. I just remember not liking what I read of pandora Hearts and I've only seen the E7 anime. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever read any mecha stuff.

I guess as far as shoujo stuff is concerned, try Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun?

cajunator

Banned
If Guilty Crown hadnt come out and Geass was a bit more recent, then I might have been compelled to have it as a top one. Im also not a fan of
ambiguous distressing and depressing
endings.

Guilty Crown is like this great forbidden mystery that I keep wanting to uncover, like Fractale. But people continuously warn me to stay away.

survivor

Banned
Manga series I enjoy and/or hold in high esteem off the top of my head right now:

Pandora Hearts
Eureka Seven
Last Game
Special A
A Bride's Story
Goodnight Punpun
Natsu no Zenjitsu
Taiyou no Ie

I don't know man, didn't expect to see bunch of shoujo there. I think you are better off asking gunbo/Lain/scy in the manga thread

No, the appeal lies with a pair somewhat older.

hGHCM.jpg
I'm surprised DTL never came across the show from all the fanart of these two guys.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I think I'm gonna pick up Space Bros.

I watched Planetes about a year or so ago. Are comparisons to this show appropriate? I was avoiding Space Bros because initially I thought it was just piggy-backing Planetes. But if it's good, it's good.

Narag

Symphogear 6

If the first episodes had been tightened up and the visuals more consistent throughout, this would have been pretty good so far. Lots of undelivered potential as it stands now though.

I wasl ike that for a long time. the cost of HD was too high relative to the advancement. Especially since I'm blind as a fucking bat as it is. You should see my glasses.
The prices came down though and the durability of the discs due to the coating they put on there makes them desirable to own for long term collection.

Maybe. BluRays seems to be pretty much the only form of entertainment disc impervious to British Pricing however, and I haven't seen the need to upgrade (and if I will upgrade, it'll probably translate to "buying a PS3"). And, y'know, still lacking a HDTV to make the extra money worthwhile.

(Then again, DVDs for shows made outside the UK tend to hold their value quite well. Good luck finding Breaking Bad Season 1 for less than a tenner, and Season 3 is still £17. For sake of comparison, K-On Complete is £28.)

Some favorites off the top of my head:
Mushishi
Rurouni Kenshin (The Manga was a perfect masterpiece, but the fights in the Anime were the best of any I've ever seen)
Eureka Seven
Now and Then, Here and There
Ano Hana
Steins;Gate
FMA: Brotherhgood
Code Geass

(This is just a series list, BTW. Movies get their own category)

cajunator

Banned
I think I'm gonna pick up Space Bros.

I watched Planetes about a year or so ago. Are comparisons to this show appropriate? I was avoiding Space Bros because initially I thought it was just piggy-backing Planetes. But if it's good, it's good.

Its pretty good because it actually plays out as realistically as possible.
The characters are very believable and they act like normal human beings do.
You always want to root for Mutta because he really feels like an average joe given an extraordinary opportunity. Its also very different from Planetes aside from being a realistic Space story. This is more of a story about GETTING to space rather than being in it.

Lain

Manga series I enjoy and/or hold in high esteem off the top of my head right now:

Pandora Hearts
Eureka Seven
Last Game
Special A

Kiss of Rose Princess might be right for you.
Maybe Switch Girl!! if you're up for dirty humor.

cajunator

Banned
Some favorites off the top of my head:
Mushishi
Rurouni Kenshin (The Manga was a perfect masterpiece, but the fights in the Anime were the best of any I've ever seen)
Eureka Seven
Now and Then, Here and There
Ano Hana
Steins;Gate
FMA: Brotherhgood
Code Geass

(This is just a series list, BTW. Movies get their own category)

Thats a good list actually.
Mushishi is really good but I dont enjoy it quite enough to put it at the top.
Eureka Seven has potential but Ive only seen a handful of episodes.
NTHT is one of my favorites too, but everybody here seems to hate it. Its not good enough to quite make the list.

I guess Last Exile would also be top 15, since I love the story and Range Murata designs.
Im surprised that Cowboy Bebop has fallen off my list, but looking back on it, its not as great as I once thought it was.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
DVD? What is this???? At least 720p or nothing!

Looks like a UK copy so it's no surprise it isn't BD.

To be fair I felt bad giving the UK anime market such a bad rep so I went to check out HMV to prove myself wrong. Sure enough they do sell some shows in the anime section is BD format. Rush Hour was there and even the Karate Kid II!

Taruranto

If i had to make a top 10 list:

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Toward the Terra
Fantastic Children
Princess Tutu
Baccano!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse
Darker than Black S1
Paranoia Agent
Ouran High School Host Club

Uhh... lol? no. Pandora Hearts is the best manga I've ever read and nothing comes close to topping it in both style, art, tone, and narrative.

Not gonna judge, but that's a REALLY weird top manga to me. Maybe it's because I've read over 400, some of which I didn't like but stuck with, yet Pandora Hearts couldn't keep my attention for more than 20 chapters. The art is generic, the characters are annoying, it's just dull all around.

Thats a good list actually.
Mushishi is really good but I dont enjoy it quite enough to put it at the top.
Eureka Seven has potential but Ive only seen a handful of episodes.
NTHT is one of my favorites too, but everybody here seems to hate it. Its not good enough to quite make the list.

I guess Last Exile would also be top 15, since I love the story and Range Murata designs.
Im surprised that Cowboy Bebop has fallen off my list, but looking back on it, its not as great as I once thought it was.

Oh it's not in any particular order. I watched about 5-6 eps of Last Exile, but couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to continue. There just wasn't enough happening.
And I know this is possibly the worst opinion you can have in almost any anime community... but
I didn't really like Cowboy Bebop

Been wanting to get that off my chest for a while

Alot of anime are good during their duration but lots of them always have endings that just really lack any sort of quality or are just way to abrupt, and Ouran, could have had a much stronger ending or even a season two, the characters could have used the much needed increased screentime, like the Hitachiins. Still one of the funniest anime Ive ever seen.

cajunator

Banned

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Toward the Terra
Fantastic Children
Princess Tutu
Baccano!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Darker than Black S1
Paranoia Agent

Thats a pretty great list too, actually.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Being English is suffering.

Why is the Bluray animu market so bad over there?

Because when the rest of the store is selling complete boxsets for a fiver it's a rather hard sell to convince someone to buy three episodes on a DVD for £25+.

Cwarrior

Top 10 Anime ever (as of today)
1 Neon Genesis Evangelion
2 Angel Beats
3 Guilty Crown
4 Fairy Tail
5 Naruto/Naruto Shippuden
6 Sacred Seven
7 Tsuritama
8 Gundam Age
9 Phi Brain Kami no Puzzle
10 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi

Bleach would be up there if it wasnt for that Bounts Arc, Uta no Prince Sama depending on s2, and Saint Seiya Omega if it stays on track, and Bakuman if it actually has a solid ending.

hmm...so those are the animes one must watch to become dtl, that list explains a lot.

cajunator

Banned
Because when the rest of the store is selling complete boxsets for a fiver it's a rather hard sell to convince someone to buy three episodes on a DVD for £25+.

Well to be honest, the BLuray anime market in the Us is pretty shit too, aside from online retail.

survivor

Banned
Well to be honest, the BLuray anime market in the Us is pretty shit too, aside from online retail.

The retail situation for anime in Canada is awful too. The only thing I find is just DBZ and maybe some FMA if I happen to go there on the release date.

my MAL top 10 without movies

Martian Successor Nadesico
Katanagatari
Bakemonogatari
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Steins;Gate
Top wo Nerae!
Mobile Police Patlabor
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Gunsmith Cats
Tsuritama

I use MAL to organize my backlog, so there should be more older titles.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Toward the Terra
Fantastic Children
Princess Tutu
Baccano!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Darker than Black S1
Paranoia Agent
I like this junior. Can we keep him?

Clannad the anything is bad.

After Story was good. This coming from a guy who only likes manly stuff lol.

Anyway here's my Top 10, since people have been doing it:

In no particular order

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Wings of Honneamise
Code Geass
Mushishi
Darker Than Black
Grave of the Fireflies
Steins Gate
Hayao Miyazaki: Whisper of the Heart/Nausicaä/Castle in the Sky/Castle of Cagliostro
Outlaw Star
GitS SAC

And then I left out the more popular shows like Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll.

cajunator

Banned
The retail situation for anime in Canada is awful too. The only thing I find is just DBZ and maybe some FMA if I happen to go there on the release date.

the Lesson here is that the anime market is shit everywhere :(

my MAL top 10 without movies

Martian Successor Nadesico
Katanagatari
Bakemonogatari
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Steins;Gate
Top wo Nerae!
Mobile Police Patlabor
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Gunsmith Cats
Tsuritama

I use MAL to organize my backlog, so there should be more older titles.

GOOD.
Nadesico is top 20 in my list for sure.
Gunsmith Cats is an OVA, so I kind of want to put it in a separate list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom