• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Sometimes it's useful to know what the current 'in' show is actually like. It's rather hard to judge from my ivory tower, as it were, so I decided that lowering myself into the trenches might allow me to get some perspective. At least now I know the reality: Sword Art Online isn't really as bad as I thought it might be. It's inherently ridiculous, but fairly entertaining never the less. There's nothing really good about it, beyond the aforementioned realistic depiction of a videogame.

Know thy enemy.

It's pretty much the same reason I will watch SAO. It's become too much of the thread zeitgeist, to simply ignore.

At least that's what I tell myself.

OceanBlue

I'm so glad kayos is banned. lol

I don't remember it being more pervy than usual, but it's been a while.

Or maybe there are. :p

All dat sauce.

Hah, that arc was pretty fun. Of course, it's now in serious mode for the end.

There's nothing in terms of self-insert "pandering", really, unless the conversations count. The only possibly creepy scene is when Azusa shows the pose Ritsuko wanted her to do for a gravure audition and it zooms in on her boobs.

Sometimes it's useful to know what the current 'in' show is actually like. It's rather hard to judge from my ivory tower, as it were, so I decided that lowering myself into the trenches might allow me to get some perspective. At least now I know the reality: Sword Art Online isn't really as bad as I thought it might be. It's inherently ridiculous, but fairly entertaining never the less. There's nothing really good about it, beyond the aforementioned realistic depiction of a videogame.

The first part of your post is probably the most condescending thing you've ever said. Congrats!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's nothing in terms of self-insert "pandering", really, unless the conversations count. The only possibly creepy scene is when Azusa shows the pose Ritsuko wanted her to do for a gravure audition and it zooms in on her boobs.
Ah, standard male gaze then. lol

Branduil

I don't remember it being more pervy than usual, but it's been a while.

Well, there are only a few such scenes, but the mockumentary direction of the entire episode makes it much more noticeable, because it forces you to think about the camera as a surrogate for the viewer.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That makes sense. I probably wouldn't have been as bored by Sword Art Online as I was if I had ever played an MMO.

Interestingly, the most common response to most of the complaints that I made about the plot over the course of the three episodes that I watched was "this is what happens in MMOs". I've never played an MMO and while I've mostly imagined them simply as free-roam ARPGs with a pvp and multiplayer focus, it would seem that some of the plot points that I felt were unrealistic or contrived (the
"trap room" in Episode 3
, especially) are, according to MMO players, entirely ordinary and in line with standard game design.

Personally, this explanation alone isn't enough to get me to overlook plot points that would otherwise still sit poorly with me, but I can accept that it may make some things easier to swallow for MMO players.

Jex

The worst plot hole, so far, is that no one has explained what the heck is happening to their bodies in the real world.

Binbougami ga! 4
dOl8K.jpg

Manyuu Hikenchou?
This is by far the best episode yet. The serious sad stuff actually had an effect on me this time. The jokes were good too. Though I can see this show starting to get kinda formulaic.
I'm starting to warm up to this show more.
grdQ3.png

To Love-Ru?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The worst plot hole, so far, is that no one has explained what the heck is happening to their bodies in the real world.
Hooked up to an IV drip.

Imagine the nurse's surprise when she found 2 years worth of GLOP clogging Kirito's catheter.

OceanBlue

I don't see how that's a plot hole, to be honest. To me, it'd be a plot hole if they somehow knew what was happening to their bodies.

It's certainly something that nags on some people though. I'm personally not bothered by it, but I can see how it'd be something people would keep thinking about.

Jex

Hooked up to an IV drip.

Imagine the nurse's surprise when she found 2 years worth of GLOP clogging Kirito's catheter.

How did they find everyone who was playing the game? Who is paying for all this? Where are they all being kept? etc. They don't even show people being taken to hospitals, as if the state of their real bodies is a non-issue.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hooked up to an IV drip.

This blows my fucking mind. Does that actually happen out of game too?

Holy shit.

How did they find everyone who was playing the game? Who is paying for all this? Where are they all being kept? etc. They don't even show people being taken to hospitals, as if it's a non-issue.
There's an explanation for all these things, but it's not relevant to the plot so we don't need to be shown it. I think it's a fair omission.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How did they find everyone who was playing the game? Who is paying for all this? Where are they all being kept? etc. They don't even show people being taken to hospitals, as if the state of their real bodies is a non-issue.
Parents and relatives, obviously.

I imagine there are a lot of deaths from neglect as well, as NEETs living by themselves die of dehydration.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This blows my fucking mind. Does that actually happen out of game too?

Holy shit.

The game is basically just an induced lucid dream. Any physical response that a normal dream can trigger should also be possible using a Nervegear, I guess.

Jarmel

Banned
It really, really is. It's probably my favorite of the three.

Considering how much better this is, I wonder if this was supposed to be the original OP. It just blows away the generic songs that we've heard from before. It's ryu level composition. Hell I'm trying to find more Team Nekokan's other songs to see if they're this good.

Dresden

50 shades of glop.

Suddenly, from behind her came a gray tentacle which grabbed her right hand.

"...!!"

Asuna endured, throttling down a scream, as she tried to force her finger closer to the button, but the tentacle held onto her like steel wire and and didn't even budge. She tried to use her left hand, but just as she started to move it, a new tentacle twined around her arm. Asuna's hands were pulled into the air, the rest of her body following.

The dialogue in AW is much worse, imo. The scenes where
Kuroyukihime gets run over and where Cartman gets his wings
were unbearable.

The wings was an asspull and still is, but I thought the dialogue was fine there. No worse than how
Kirito handled killing Kuradeel
. What was wrong with the car scene?

Suddenly, from behind her came a gray tentacle which grabbed her right hand.

"...!!"

Asuna endured, throttling down a scream, as she tried to force her finger closer to the button, but the tentacle held onto her like steel wire and and didn't even budge. She tried to use her left hand, but just as she started to move it, a new tentacle twined around her arm. Asuna's hands were pulled into the air, the rest of her body following.
jbeP3kF4HZnEad.jpg

The wings was an asspull and still is, but I thought the dialogue was fine there. No worse than how
Kirito handled killing Kuradeel
. What was wrong with the car scene?
The dialogue was really overwrought in both. Less is more.

Dresden

I'm typing this with one hand.

The slug extended more tentacles, and wrapped up her entire body. Enfolded mercilessly, the wire-like tentacles cut into the flesh of her stomach and thighs.

"Let me go!! Let me go!! Let me go back home!!"

Asuna cried almost crazily, but the tentacles showed no signs of loosening.

"I can't do that, the boss will kill me. More importantly, aren't you bored in this place with nothing? How about we play with some electronic drugs? I was getting tired of those dolls anyway."

As he said those words, the cold, damp tentacles stroked Asuna's face.

"S...Stop!! What do you...!?"

Asuna desperately resisted, but the slug immediately extended new tentacles. Touching the skin of Asuna's leg, the tentacles slowly reached up into her dress.

The slug, taking advantage of that, moved a tentacle toward her mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom