• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I don't understand why I always end up so high on the wall of shame because I don't even feel like I post that much.

Because of posts like this one XD

how do yall survive the summer heat? Don't think the AC is working well in my room, and 3 monitors and a pc really does raise room temp :S

1 window fan and 1 swervy fan.

hmmmm....

I have a little fan and a strong AC in here. Gotta keep it cool because of the figurines although I can tolerate an extremely hot room without much of an issue.

Silver Spoon
Blood Lad (depending on how it unfolds)
Danganropa
Free
Watashi Ga Motenai
The World God Only Knows

Pretty good season overall, this might be the first season I've seen where I want to watch more then 4 shows. I'm most excited for Silver Spoon, TWGOK, and Danganropa the most and of course I'm still gonna be watching One Piece weekly. Still waiting for Gintama to come back though, maybe next year for that.

Good choice for the Free! image

But it doesn't have the best guy.

tumblr_moixawOyvv1r1geyyo1_500.jpg

Because of posts like this one XD

Guess that's probably how I'll ever end up there again. But on the other hand it's not like I had much shame to begin with.

I have a little fan and a strong AC in here. Gotta keep it cool because of the figurines although I can tolerate an extremely hot room without much of an issue.

I absolutely can't stand a hot, stuffy room. Only time I really come close to tolerating the heat is when I'm out running, oddly enough.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The fact that I'm breaking 100 posts per thread is a mystery to me. I've never posted this much on any message board in my life.

I may not be the best source of advice since those are the only ones I've finished, but I agree with this.

I am so sad Yuyushiki is ending today... :(

Don't remind me. ;_;

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eden of the East 02 Melancholy Monday
I hate the title card image, which has the uguu~ style. But I did find this spectacular bit of non-English in the opening credits:

BXPyrg9l.jpg

Recap
fGJ1Ulbl.jpg

We rejoin our heroes on the plane. I'm surprised air traffic to Tokyo wouldn't be closed after massive missile attacks. Saki tells Akira that there have been past attacks, the "Careless Monday" attacks, but in those attacks no one died. Saki seems very confused that Akira doesn't know about this stuff.

Two guys in a car--along with two parent-age people and a kid in the back--call Saki to say they're in traffic but on the way to pick her up to bring her to her "final interview". Akira's minder calls him and tells him since he's back in Tokyo, he has to do his job. He asks her why he wiped his memory, she doesn't know. He has 8 billion yen--on his phone, no less! JAPAN!--and has to spend it all during his mission. The airport is totally full of people, but when Akira asks his handler to help get them out, things shut down fast, like he's a diplomat or celebrity

PsGrp8Ll.jpg

YEibXnZl.png

Saki asks Akira on a date, he smoothly brushes her off by saying he's an amnesiac and needs to engage in self-discovery instead of date her. Brutal. She mopes in a bathroom only for Akira to follow her into the ladies room and creepily ask her for directions so I guess she gets her date after all?

Cut to a cop who clearly doesn't give a shit about his job. He gets a prompt that Akira has spent some of his money. He rushes towards the phone signal.

We find out Akira's apartment's area got bombed in Careless Monday. It was a surprise attack, the politicians were caught off guard. But no one died? Who was behind the attack? Was it the Japanese government? But after a while, people stopped caring about it. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reading this as a parable for the ineffectiveness of Japanese governance over the last 15 years -- this is right up my alley, I actually follow Japanese politics! But seriously, how the hell did no one die?

Akira walks up to the cop and talks to him because he has the same model of phone. He asks the cop if he has lost his memory too. The Cop gets his passport, and mentions that Akira is (Selecaw???) #9. This obviously ties into the "candidate" thing I mentioned last episode.

nKB1INCl.jpg

Akira asks Saki about herself and we get a character background dump. She's a college senior. She's an orphan. Her sister and her sister's husband run a company that she wants to work for. She likes her brother-in-law. And now we get Akira's background dump. He remembers, as a sentimental piano score plays, buying something as a kid but not what. He remembers his Mom going missing, violin cues. Saki shows Akira photos of New York on her weird flip phone. OK cool, the Freedom Tower in NYC, which means 9/11 happened in this universe.

Saki expresses she never wants to forget what happened. I wonder if she was orphaned in 9/11, given that she said there was an "accident" with her parents and that she wants to never forget.

8Hxt2yRl.png

The Cop is looking through Akira's bank account and has no idea why he bought the things he did. Some sketchy jerks hassle the cop so he gets on his cell phone and calls the same handler that Akira has--acting as Akira--and has the two jerks and an innocent bystander murdered. Noblesse oblige.

fLa8q69l.png

Review

This was another sort of in-between episode. Still not much happening, still just sort of teasing us about what is yet to come. I'm glad that the show takes place in the real world because it gives a really good political basis to work from--the sense of global unease in the Post-9/11 period mirroring the unease in Japanese politics in the same time period--for future episodes. I suspect Saki's brother-in-law's business will play a role, because that info dump was too big for it not to.

The relationship between Saki and Akira seems good, although I have no idea why she isn't the least bit curious or inquisitive about the fact that he apparently has the incredibly rare total retrograde amnesia despite having no injury.

We'll see how it goes.

cajunator

Banned
By not living in a hellhole like California.

Plus basements are far cooler.

Basements sound useful for putting more anime stuff in.
I love my Uncles basement. Has a pool table and its like a party room. Except theres no party. I would totally set up an anime fortress down there.

Hattori

Banned
yeah the basement, that's where I put all my figures as well
I have no basement and I have no figures, I can't afford them :(

Tenumi

Banned
how do yall survive the summer heat? Don't think the AC is working well in my room, and 3 monitors and a pc really does raise room temp :S

1 window fan and 1 swervy fan.

hmmmm....

I have a desktop in my basement with two monitors. That room usually isn't a problem. My Laptop, however, is in my bedroom, which can get painfully warm sometimes, even with the AC, ceiling fan, and (Mostly working) floor fan active.

This is while living in West Michigan, so...

cajunator

Banned
Saki is so damned adorable.
Eden of the East has a very interesting vibe to it. Its really fun. Just suffers from an ending that isnt very intriguing or anything. but most anime is like that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What do you mean by this?

This is the style of all the episode title cards in the show:
Ok Stump must be referring to this.
ecpipY9l.jpg

I don't like the chintzy CG used for the borders or the cutesy drawing style in the image itself.

I used a convenient shorthand to express "cute but obnoxious"--I obviously haven't watched the source material for the actual expression "uguu~" but it evokes the same feeling in me, although I understand that I'm sure there are people in this thread and elsewhere who like both this style and to each their own.

cajunator

Banned

I don't like the chintzy CG used for the borders or the cutesy drawing style in the image itself.

I used a convenient shorthand to express "cute but obnoxious"--I obviously haven't watched the source material for the actual expression "uguu~" but it evokes the same feeling in me, although I understand that I'm sure there are people in this thread and elsewhere who like both this style and to each their own.

I'm a bit of a fan of it..

cajunator

Banned
Nice Death Devil K-On figs!

Thank yas!
I love them so much!
I had the alter set in front but I couldnt see subtitles on the bottom behind them so they are on my dresser. The Death Devil figures are a little less intrusive whilst providing the proper balance and ambiance of cute..

I would describe that as "girly" more than anything else, myself.

I've been out of the anime loop for a LONG time now. I think the last full series I watched was Soul Eater. Anyways due to a friends recommendation I've started watching Attack on Titan and Valrave The Liberator. I'm really enjoying both, especially Valrave because I love mechs. I think I'm back into anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom