• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive EDGE info blowout, with more coming tomorrow

Jito

Banned
Don't know what you want me to say. Do you want me to drool all over the game and say it's GOTY? I said it was colorful and looked nice, which it is. The AI is punching the air and actually they're punching each other, it's clear as day even if you're not focusing on it.

Game mechanic involves enemies noticing you more as you gain style, or maybe it's just the bosses. Read one of the articles maybe.

Main character is fully voiced, both male and female. Nameless though, as it's you!

Full customized, you can use any clothing item on any character - regardless of male/female or body type.

By fully voiced, does that include any specific story dialogue related to major events in the game's singleplayer campaign outside of just the occasional banter you might expect during typical gameplay scenarios? And is there specific voice acting for more unique characters you may meet throughout the game? For example, are there multiple story cutscenes in which the main character or any other character central to the game's story to any degree is acting out lines?

I only ask because while the game certainly looks awesome and seems to be a lot of fun, my major gripe with something like Crackdown for instance was the less personable feel that it had. There was just a world that existed, but you didn't really get a chance to experience and get to know any unique personalities within it to any moderate degree. And this game looks pretty ripe to benefit from that more personal feel. With a world like this you would expect to come across a few interesting events and characters, I feel.

All things considered, I'm very, very excited about this game. It's looking like a dead lock purchase for me at this point.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
By fully voiced, does that include any specific story dialogue related to major events in the game's singleplayer campaign outside of just the occasional banter you might expect during typical gameplay scenarios? And is there specific voice acting for more unique characters you may meet throughout the game? For example, are there multiple story cutscenes in which the main character or any other character central to the game's story to any degree is acting out lines?

I only ask because while the game certainly looks awesome and seems to be a lot of fun, my major gripe with something like Crackdown for instance was the less personable feel that it had. There was just a world that existed, but you didn't really get a chance to experience and get to know any unique personalities within it to any moderate degree. And this game looks pretty ripe to benefit from that more personal feel. With a world like this you would expect to come across a few interesting events and characters, I feel.

All things considered, I'm very, very excited about this game. It's looking like a dead lock purchase for me at this point.

correct. there are cutscenes, your character talks to other characters and has character growth + personality.

JLck

correct. there are cutscenes, your character talks to other characters and has character growth + personality.

Hey.

Just wondering, do you still plan on using the cloud/xbox live for experiences like weather, new enemy outbreaks, seasons?

Sunset_Overdrive_Herker_2.jpg

tumblr_inline_n54ohlv1mU1s9b1s7.gif

Trees look fucking great, dare I say, better than Ryse's?

dcx4610

Looks a bit too much like inFamous 2 to me. Probably still fun but it's hard not to see it when looking at footage.

And just like that my biggest concern about the game is gone. I'm not as big a fan of crackdown as some are here, but it had elements to it that I thought were good as a foundation to build from. I thought there was much more potential that could have been extracted there, and it sounds like this game may go above and beyond even what I was expecting from that game initially.

Game looks fantastic so far. These are the kinds of games Insomniac should be making. I was never a huge fan of the Resistance titles stylistically, so I'm glad that this is the kind of game you guys have chosen to make. I think this kind of stuff is where the team is at its best.

welp you did it now Insomniac! I was dead set on NOT ever getting an Xbone but this....this may just make me at least THINK about reconsidering hmmm...

Somnia

Oh my god this game, so fucking there Day One. LOL @ the people who doubted Insomniac.

Can't wait to do some online gameplay with everyone, game just screams old school "FUN" like the old arcade days/dreamcast era.

Dabanton

Just finished reading the EDGE article and this sounds like a winner. Even map travsersal sounds like it will actually be a challenge of timing and not just point this way and press button.

Owzers

I'm intrigued but skeptical, i have really lost interest in open world type games that feel empty. I like the art style and the speed though, but enemy design seems far too plain.

Silky

Banned
no. there's not like a hard cycle. certain things you do in the game only happen at night. more on that later.

Quick thing:

I noticed that the wisp of motion following the player changes color. Does that have to do with the 'style' meter mentioned in the details? I:E, the higher the style is, the faster you go?

SykoTech

•According to Insomniac they’ve finally begun to understand what they love the most, and that reflects in the tone of the game.

Well, better late than never. Though it's pretty sad they lost track of such a thing to begin with. But I guess that what happens when the pressure of trying to be like the big boys in the industry gets to you. Hopefully this means no more identity crisis blunders like FUSE and Resistance 2.

Oh, and it's pretty cool that you can choose a female Protag.

Obivously stolen from Mass Effect! Stop copying popular dev trends Insomniac!! Guaahhhhh!!!111!!! :p

Dabanton

One of my fave quotes from the EDGE article.

EDGE Magazine said:
"Today,Sunset Overdrive feels like a Dreamcast game dragged 14 years into the future. It's a game about blue skies,bold colours and no logic save for videogame logic.it's a game built from recycled parts - the rails ,the wall running ,the 'bouncies', the guns - all scraps from games that died before they had a chance to explore their ideas...".

dcx4610

get

inFamous says "What's up". Does the guy really need a denim vest too?

I'm sure it will be a fun game but it still bugs me a bit. Kinda like Smash Bros. and PlayStation All Stars.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Quick thing:

I noticed that the wisp of motion following the player changes color. Does that have to do with the 'style' meter mentioned in the details? I:E, the higher the style is, the faster you go?

that's actually a vanity amp. there's various ones you can get that have different effects and such and are another way of expressing yourself. they only activate at certain style levels.

getting the speed of traversal right is tricky, because you want to go places, but you also need to be able to shoot stuff while traversing too

george_us

What's most intriguing about this game is that it feels like something the old Sega would have created back in the day. Colorful, arcade style gameplay, etc. The more I hear about this the more I want it.

Top Bottom