• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS rated for the North American Wii U Virtual Console

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-64-ds-rated-for-the-north-american-wii-u-virtual-console/

Super Mario 64 DS might be heading to the North American Wii U Virtual Console soon. Over on the ESRB, the game has now received a new rating indicating that it’s on the horizon.

Super Mario 64 DS launched on the European Wii U Virtual Console last December. At this point, a North American release is overdue.

We should be finding out about Nintendo’s Virtual Console plans for the week later today.

maxcriden

I wonder how it will play. I tried it on 3DS VC and it was (IMO) not fun to control. The crux of OG 64 is its controls and since I never had access to the touchpad analog dealio, my only experience with 64 DS is using the 3DS controls and finding it really difficult to control.

(Just saw the .neogaf moment above me -- no disrespect at all to you, Sato, just had a different experience. Perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance.)

BD1

Banned
I want to take this opportunity to say Super Mario 64x4 was such a better name for this game.

Jinketsu

I don't know about you guys, but I am pretty pumped for that Sort-or-'Splode minigame.

Super Mario 64 DS may as well be a pack in, cause Sort or 'Splode is the world's greatest game

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Why is this better than the original Mario 64?

Some people love it, some people hate it, but the extra characters you can swap between added a little depth and helped justify some changes in puzzle elements in the game. It was fun, but I don't know if it would be considered "better" than the original. I enjoyed it and all of its differences, but didn't feel like the fresher experience added anything to what was already there.

Hasney

Why is this better than the original Mario 64?

hqdefault.jpg

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Loved it but wasn't a fan of the washed out colors. Bob-omb Battlefield went from lush green to vomit.

Griss

Put me in the 'hated it' camp. Horrible controls, new characters felt blatantly inserted and unnatural.

Maybe mapping the run button to one of the triggers would work out better than B. Mario 64 on Wii U is really good so I might consider it

Dcube

Awesome, I could never get into on the DS cause of the controls but with a joystick I will definitely try it out again.

Can the emulated versions input the virtual analog screen stick inputs with a real one? Doesn't seem like such a tall order?
People saying run button implies not

maxcriden

I had the wrong minigame in mind. Changed it from Bob-Omb Squad to Sort-or-'Splode - but yes, both are in NSMB.

Ok, cool. I gotta check out more of those. I remember I liked the card matching one. Thank you!

Can the emulated versions input the virtual analog screen stick inputs with a real one? Doesn't seem like such a tall order?

Agreed! But, it seems significant changes like that are rarely made to VC games. Only light gun games, SMA4 and maybe N64 framerate changes come to mind.

I forget if the DS offers filtering options? This thing is going to probably look jaggy as all get out on the big screen. Of course the original N64 version isn't jaggy on Wii U but still too dark.

Simbabbad

I wonder how it will play.
Exactly like the VC EU version on Wii U, meaning exactly like on DS, except you can't reasonably use the touch screen with a thumb stylus.

Sure, there is a stick on Wii U, but controls still aren't analog and are strictly 8 directional.

They could have used emulation tricks to map the analog stick to the code handling the touch screen, but they didn't.

I forget if the DS offers filtering options? This thing is going to probably look jaggy as all get out on the big screen.
They do, I have Donkey Kong Jungle Climber and it looks good filtered (but it isn't 3D).

They could, they didn't on the EU VC, they won't on the NA VC.

WillyFive

I'd like to see a remake of Mario 64. The DS remake has worse textures, worse sound, blockier characters, and digital controls (despite the original game being the poster child for analog controls).

Opinions vary on it. Some find it better due to different controls.....,

I don't know of anyone on Earth who would like the DS version better because of controls off all things.

maxcriden

Exactly like the VC EU version on Wii U, meaning exactly like on DS, except you can't reasonably use the touch screen with a thumb stylus.

Sure, there is a stick on Wii U, but controls still aren't analog and are strictly 8 directional.

They could have used emulation tricks to map the analog stick to the code handling the touch screen, but they didn't.

Ah, I forgot it was already out on EU VC. Thanks for the info. That is unfortunate.

I'd like to see a remake of Mario 64. The DS remake has worse textures, worse sound, blockier characters, and digital controls (despite the original game being the poster child for analog controls).

I don't know of anyone on Earth who would like the DS version better because of controls off all things.

I personally agree on both counts, but some prefer the DS version for that reason.

Which DS game had the better mini-game collection? This or NSMB?

Get that one and pair it with SM64.

They're identical, so, they should get NSMB, which is a very good game, and then if they get SM64 they will have two very good games.

(Edit: I'm wrong, sorry-- see below)

Regiruler

Opinions vary on it. Some find it better due to different controls, playable characters and additional missions.

The same minigames are all in NSMB, right? Just wasn't sure if that game was missing any.

I know for a fact this has minigames that NSMB doesn't, like the pachinko minigames. I'm pretty sure it's vice versa and that NSMB has a better multiplayer minigame selection.

So no, they are NOT the same.
The original has aged like a corpse visually, the DS version looks far better.

maxcriden

If they give the VC version analogue controls, I will buy it

If I have to hold down a button to run, no chance

Spoilers:

You won't be buying it.

P.S. Here's something I don't understand about the DS game. Why was the default walk speed *without* holding the button so criminally slow?

Spoilers:

You won't be buying it.

Oh, NA release. I forgot this is already out.

P.S. Here's something I don't understand about the DS game. Why was the default walk speed *without* holding the button so criminally slow?

I think they were expecting everyone to use the thumbstrap, which is the best way of playing the game on the DS.

If they'd really given it thought, holding down a button would have been walk and no button would have been fastest speed, since you rarely need anything else in SM64DS.

maxcriden

Oh, NA release. I forgot this is already out.

I think they were expecting everyone to use the thumbstrap, which is the best way of playing the game on the DS.

If they'd really given it thought, holding down a button would have been walk and no button would have been fastest speed, since you rarely need anything else in SM64DS.

That would have made more sense to me, also. It's counterintuitive for usually walk/run controls but it would have worked here. The thumbstrap is a bit short-sighted also. I believe you all that it rocks but so many play these evergreen sellers in the aftermarket or later printings that IIRC didn't include the thumbstrap (or was it just the DS itself that contained it originally?) so it seems odd to me to make the more enjoyable controls so contingent on that.

That would have made more sense to me, also. It's counterintuitive for usually walk/run controls but it would have worked here. The thumbstrap is a bit short-sighted also. I believe you all that it rocks but so many play these evergreen sellers in the aftermarket or later printings that IIRC didn't include the thumbstrap (or was it just the DS itself that contained it originally?) so it seems odd to me to make the more enjoyable controls so contingent on that.

The thumbstrap was part of the original fat DS, so it's not really a case of being short-sighted.

Menitta

This game had no excuse taking this long coming to the NA eShop. It's been on the EU eShop for a while. Why wasn't it on the NA eShop?

Menitta

As with every VC title and digital Wii version in the universe, Because NOA™.

This game in particular because this is the most "Nintendo" game you can get. An in-house remake of a Nintendo game. It's not like they have trouble getting licensing to sell it.

Top Bottom