• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS rated for the North American Wii U Virtual Console

Mega

Banned
SM64DS just needs the controls to be refined for true analog. Both the thumbstrap and D-pad + Run button controls were terrible on the DS. It's not much better on 3DS with the circle pad still limiting movement to 8 stiff directions. Mario is a lot less agile and precise than on the N64 original.

Oh and the game does need a saturation boost. It's incredibly dull-looking next to the original. It was particularly bad on DS Phat and it got a boost when the DS Lite came out, but still fell short of how vibrant the original was.

The foundation for a Super Mario 64 2 announcement?

I would love this, complete with a refined version of the blocky Mario 64 graphics... which I consider a style unto itself like how SMB, SMB3, SMW, Sunshine/Galaxy, M&L, Paper Mario and NSMB are each their own different take on Mario.

Was it attached to the system?

Don't remember now, I bought it at launch so that would be...11 years ago.

It was definitely in the box, and I'm pretty sure I would have had to clip it to the DS myself rather then it having already been connected in the box. It would need to be detachable in case it broke off.

nullset2

Nice, I never played through this back in the day because I thought it controlled horrible but having it on wii u makes stuff all nice now. Will look into it.

Mega

Banned
Was it attached to the system?

It was a lanyard type thing that went through the loop hole on the back.

nintendo-ds-feature-a-day-2-20041110005749743-000.jpg

Peltz

The slide pad on 3DS definitely improved control in the game and I assume a full joystick will be even better.

May double dip.
Why do people say this? It's simply not true at all.

It's 8 way digital control using an analogue pad. If anything, it controls even worse.

Mega

Banned
Why do people say this? It's simply not true at all.

Not a literal improvement like making the game have true analog movement, but it did improve it from an ergonomics stance. Moving through 3D space and in all 8 directions was so bad with the d-pad that I put up with the annoyance of the thumbstrap. The circle pad is the best of the three ways to control SM64DS, but it still sucks vs. the original Mario 64.

maxcriden

Don't remember now, I bought it at launch so that would be...11 years ago.

It was definitely in the box, and I'm pretty sure I would have had to clip it to the DS myself rather then it having already been connected in the box. It would need to be detachable in case it broke off.

It was a lanyard type thing that went through the loop hole on the back.

nintendo-ds-feature-a-day-2-20041110005749743-000.jpg

Gotcha. Thank you both. I started with a Lite so I didn't know about this.

As I said to Kurdel above: I guess there are stylus only games and that's not attached so I can't fault Nintendo much on this. Though I still like the run/walk reversal Sir_Crocodile floated above better than what they went with. :)

This is cool but also bums me out a little. This DS version should be HD remastered with up rezzed visuals, the original Mario 64 start screen (which was WAY better than the DS start screen), full analog controls (at least make them an option) and a modified intro that's identical to the N64 original (meaning you start the game as Mario... the damn game is called Super MARIO 64).
Also, I would make it so that you find Luigi, Wario and Yoshi (in that order) around the castle and that's how you unlock them. You would find Luigi shivering and scared at the ghost house, you would find Wario somewhere (not sure where) presumably looking for treasure and then after collecting enough stars you unlock the canon that shoots you to the roof of the castle where you find Yoshi napping. Other than those changes and some minor audio/visual improvements I would keep the game identical to the excellent DS version of Mario 64. I never expected this to actually happen but Mario 64 is such an important game that it deserves an HD refresh if not a full blown remake.

foltzie1

This was a fun launch title on the DS despite its limitations, but as a VC title when SM64 is available on the same machine?

I don't know if the other changes add enough.

Simbabbad

Nice, I never played through this back in the day because I thought it controlled horrible but having it on wii u makes stuff all nice now. Will look into it.
Controls on the DS version are just terrible. Hope its better on the gamepad.
Just to make sure everyone gets it: it doesn't change how Mario moves, the controls are the same as the DS version, it has no analog precision or input and you can't even reasonably use the thumb stylus now.

BlitzKeeg

I don't know about you guys, but I am pretty pumped for that Sort-or-'Splode minigame.

I forgot about that minigame! It's the BEST!

I've been meaning to go back and play Mario 64, so this seems like a good reason even with the changes. I'm not a huge fan of the character system (Although I do like Luigi's totally useless ability to walk on water), but the extra environments and existence on a modern console should make it worth it.

One day the OG Mario 64 will get ported again, so I'm not concerned

Top Bottom