• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. The Movie (1993) Blu-ray 03.11.14 UK Region B (locked)

liquidtmd

Banned
The amount of shit we dont get released or is permanently resigned to the archives and then out of nowhere we get Super Mario Brothers on Blu-Ray, wut???

Ridley327

I feel like this guy was the anti-Raul Julia in Street Fighter. Julia knew he was in crap, and embraced it, hamming it up in every scene. I'm sure he went to his grave with no fucks given.

That Polygon article on the film was great, just because Raul Julia refused to not give 100%, even as his health was deteriorating. If you gotta go, go out with a bang.

Santar

I still remember watching this in the cinema as a 12 year old and coming out very disappointed that they basically changed everything from the games :D
It started so well with the Mario music but that was the only good part i thought :p
I remember thinking it was weird sitting in a cinema and hearing that iconic music, ahh the memories :)

The guy who does the narration at the beginning is Dan castellaneta

homer-simpson-mind-blown.gif

The craziest story about this movie is that at one point Tom Hanks was signed on to play Mario, but execs thought he was asking for too much money and they dropped him. I believe this was back during one of the versions where the movie was going to resemble the games a lot more.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You cannot imagined how hyped I was when I saw this ad just show up in EGM one day. I had heard a Mario movie was in the works, but these were different times, and there was no internet hype cycle.

It suggested that not only was Mario on the big screen... He was cool and slick.

Not quite the reality of the situation.

Occam

Gotta love region-locked media. Globalisation, yo!
And unskippable anti-piracy messages ("You wouldn't download a car") that only ever annoy legit customers but are never seen by pirates. Those make total sense.

On topic: I faintly remember watching this back in the day and hating it. Maybe it's so bad it's good now?

RickGhastly

Neo Member
I remember catching this in theaters on a weekend and recognizing a couple of kids from school there. We never acknowledged it the next Monday and it never once came up in conversation in the days after. Hell, I'd like to think I'm the first to break the silence in twenty odd years.

BocoDragon

That Polygon article on the film was great, just because Raul Julia refused to not give 100%, even as his health was deteriorating. If you gotta go, go out with a bang.
I gotta say... Bravo to him on that.

I think at the time the feeling was "that was your last film..? Er.... That's a shame".

But as the years rolled on you can see that he was having a great time on it... He might have been the only one in on the joke. I respect him for having a blast. Bison is the best part of that movie.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
You cannot imagined how hyped I was when I saw this ad just show up in EGM one day. I had heard a Mario movie was in the works, but these were different times, and there was no internet hype cycle.

It suggested that not only was Mario on the big screen... He was cool and slick.

Haha! Yeah I remember the build up of this movie in my own mind and then the extreme letdown. Then the next year the same shit happened with Street Fighter... and then the next year the same shit happened (although to a lesser degree thank god) with Mortal Kombat.

Robin64

Miyamoto said this of the movie:
Miyamoto said:
The one thing that I still have some regrets about is that the movie may have tried to get a little too close to what the Mario Bros. videogames were. And in that sense, it became a movie that was about a videogame, rather than being an entertaining movie in and of itself.

No, no, I don't think that was the problem, sir.

BocoDragon

It's funny how this movie made Nintendo gun shy about Hollywood. If things had gone differently, Nintendo could have gone the Marvel route, making their properties into successful cross-media films and TV shows.

Maybe that's in the cards for some future era.

Haha! Yeah I remember the build up of this movie in my own mind and then the extreme letdown. Then the next year the same shit happened with Street Fighter... and then the next year the same shit happened (although to a lesser degree thank god) with Mortal Kombat.

Oh I think Mortal Kombat absolutely delivered. What more could you want, really?

But sure, I think we all had to make peace with the reality that game adaptations were not going to be the best thing ever, as we might have assumed, but in fact are generally terrible.

The amount of shit we dont get released or is permanently resigned to the archives and then out of nowhere we get Super Mario Brothers on Blu-Ray, wut???
This was one of those films previously denied to me because it was relegated to the archives! Lol

Cyd0nia

Banned

This cycle of disappointment is set to repeat itself. Or maybe not, who knows!

Assassins Creed (2015)
Warcraft (2016)
Angry Birds (2016 - there's actually some good talent attached to this)
The Last of Us (TBD)
Uncharted (TBD)

etc etc etc.

jholmes

I feel like this guy was the anti-Raul Julia in Street Fighter. Julia knew he was in crap, and embraced it, hamming it up in every scene. I'm sure he went to his grave with no fucks given.

This post right here. This guy gets it.

I believe it was Leguizamo who admitted that Hoskins just gave up and started drinking on set.

The thing is, Hoskins is awesome in the movie. I don't know what I expect a live-action Super Mario to be but Bob Hoskins makes it just feel right.

I hope this comes out over in North America. I don't like this movie but I'll definitely upgrade for the documentary.

I know that feel, bro. I first found out about it when I saw a poster for it outside a local theater when I was 11. I nearly screamed.

One thing I noticed about the movie when I watched the Rifftrax version a while ago is that despite how stupid and un-Mario it is, it's strangely watchable. I think if it wasn't Mario (and it easily could have not been) I might have considered it a childhood favorite.

Chopper

I don't remember ever disliking this film. Only reading lots about other people disliking it. It was a staple of my childhood.

I called people "biscuit head" for years.

Will buy.

You're all biscuit heads.

FLEABttn

Banned
And unskippable anti-piracy messages ("You wouldn't download a car") that only ever annoy legit customers but are never seen by pirates. Those make total sense.

People love to drown themselves in the glass of water that the anti-piracy messages are.

--//--

That it's region locked to B gives me hope for a region A release.

WillyFive

ibpMlhUK1Tn5vc.gif

I don't remember ever disliking this film. Only reading lots about other people disliking it. It was a staple of my childhood.

Same here. Alan Silvestri's music was great, the art design was really different from the games, made it such an interesting version of it.

By the way, there is a Super Mario Bros. 2.

One of the writers has created a webcomic based on ideas they had for a second one.

http://smbthecomic.com/comic/page-1/

Page-04.jpg

Wow!

People love to drown themselves in the glass of water that the anti-piracy messages are.

--//--

That it's region locked to B gives me hope for a region A release.

They may be saying it's locked right now but I'd be curious to see if anyone's Region A player indeed plays the finished product.

Why the hell are they re-releasing this abomination of a movie? Video game movie even in our current age still show that the industry doesn't give a fuck about the medium. They have all just been cash-ins. They don't respect the medium. You get good and faithful adaptations to plays, novels, comics, TV shows, and fables, yet no one has managed to make a decent video game movie. Shoot, Scott Pilgrim vs the World and Wreck-It Ralph payed better tribute to the medium than any Hollywood adaptation. That's why Valve turned down the offer to turning their Half-Life game into a movie. If the state doesn't change by the time I accumulate my wealth, then I'll make it happen myself.

I'll support stuff like Street Fighter Assassin's Fist, but definitely not this.

Scavenger

First review (I think?): http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/super-mario-bros-the-movie.html

‘This Ain’t No Video Game’ (55:48 HD) is actually a really lengthy well structured documentary. There’s talk of how the film got the okay from Nintendo, details of how the creators of Max Headroom got to make the film and a general sense they were all fairly happy with how they changed the original kid friendly screenplay, that would have suited an animated film, oblivious to the fact that that ditched screenplay sounded more akin to what you’d expect from a Super Mario Bros. feature. Despite being baffled with the best intentions by the makers of the film being so off target it’s always good to have such a good documentary to go with a much unloved film.
The creators sound so deluded. I need to see this.

Just one more week!

Madao

i have the DVD somewhere. scored it for like $10 or less in a sale over 10 years ago.

no plans to upgrade at all.

ramparter

Banned
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/18/bob-hoskins-interview-neverland

Q&A with Bob Hoskins

What is the worst job you've done?
Super Mario Brothers.

What has been your biggest disappointment?
Super Mario Brothers.

If you could edit your past, what would you change?
I wouldn't do Super Mario Brothers.

Good old Bob Hoskins. RIP
Ridiculous. He was given the chance to star in the only movie to ever happen based on the biggest franchise in gaming industry. He should be eternally grateful for that.

He shouldn't have done it :p

I think I saw this as a kid, but I haven't seen it since. I'd definitely like to. Hopefully it'll be on TV sometime, or something.

I also need to see that movie about the NES tournament from the 80s. I forget its name.

Neo Child

Banned

This is probably the coolest thing I've read up about SMB movie. I follow it pretty closely because it remains a film very close to my heart.

Interesting to hear his different version of the movie, the original "darker" script. I doubt it was much darker, but probably had less comedy things. Like he said when Iggy (or Spike) walks into the glass down the street. Not gunna lie, I still find that funny to this day.

I wouldn't be ashamed or humiliated. There are lots of people out there who appreciate this and makes them happy, and maybe the director doesn't know that. Even if what we got is a watered down version of his script.

Another very interesting thing that I didn't know is this bit here

The idea being that we were going to tell the real story, and that the game itself was a perversion of the original story, which the movie is.

That’s why it’s different, you know; the characters are slightly different and everything because [the story] was discovered by the Japanese and they reinterpreted it, but got a few things wrong in the actual video game. Of course, [that] backfired, because people thought "They got it wrong!"

So turns out the movie is what actually happened, then the 2 Nintendo devs at the end turn their story into a game but get details wrong such as the size of goombas which is why everything is different.

Kind of makes me look at the film in a totally different way.

Top Bottom