• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat Invitational - Now with more DOTA!

I still play a match or two a week mainly to check out the updates.

I'm definitely a fan of it. It's a pretty casual experience for me. I can play a game without being tense for the whole match unlike DOTA 2.

Yeah, maybe I just need to take that approach. I tend to play in longer stretches, and it can get really old when I dedicate a couple hours to it and it goes:
-Lose (because a teammate went 0-20 with negligible bot kills)
-Lose (because a teammate dropped before the match started)
-Lose (because a teammate went 0-10 before ragequitting)
-Win (because a guy on the other team went 0-20)
-Lose (because a teammate went 0-16)
...etc

I mean, some of that is inevitable with any game, but lately it feels like 90% of these matches are determined in the first five minutes and there's not much you can do about it.

Sanic

it feels like 90% of these matches are determined in the first five minutes and there's not much you can do about it.

Yep. You essentially have to:

a.) lane properly from the start. Nearly all of my matches end up with me alone by myself in a lane while everyone else is on the other side, and I can usually never get anyone to come help.

b.) Get a decent push/not feed

c.) Win the first annihilator fight, which is a big one. It's possible to come back after losing the first annihilator (independent of anything else) but it's difficult.

All within the first few minutes, and with a random team, it feels like you're lucky to have even one of these go your way.

DarkKyo

Most of the time, yeah, everyone kinda knows what team is gonna win. However sometimes there are games where it goes back and forth a few times until finally a team pushes hard enough. But I had a game today where both teams were super good. It was pretty intense and I had no idea the entire game which team would win. It wasn't even going back and forth, it was just an endless fight in the middle/for the annihilator. Finally we won after 40 minutes. Think I played both my longest and shortest games today. 10 minutes and 40 minutes.

Tokubetsu

Most of the time, yeah, everyone kinda knows what team is gonna win. However sometimes there are games where it goes back and forth a few times until finally a team pushes hard enough. But I had a game today where both teams were super good. It was pretty intense and I had no idea the entire game which team would win. It wasn't even going back and forth, it was just an endless fight in the middle/for the annihilator. Finally we won after 40 minutes. Think I played both my longest and shortest games today. 10 minutes and 40 minutes.

Those are the best games. When you literally don't know who won until you see the round over camera sweep stuff.

"Oh wait, we won? Awesome!"

Wthermans

Banned
I'm not playing nearly as much as I used to. Uber isn't patching the game until PAX and there are some glaring issues due to the lack of matchmaking and the way the level multiplier encourages snowballing. I've got 750+ games under my belt and I think I have had maybe 20 close games. As someone else said, you can usually tell who will win within the first 5 minutes of the game (and funny enough those are the funnest portions of the game since levels are even). If you fall behind in levels, you're pretty much stuck grinding bots the rest of the game and hope you can get everyone to level 15 so things are balanced again.

The community is pretty horrible too (can't give proper feedback on the forums cause the vets think their opinion is the only one that matters and every game has a leaver/feeder/poor sport). It's pretty sad though because people have given feedback on these core gameplay problems and Uber has ignored them. Now that there are hardly 200 people playing a night (instead of the peak average of 600-1000), they have acknowledged there is a problem with the majority of matches and have actually stopped Beta invites due to the broken game.

derFeef

It's also depressing. I think Uber is a cool company but they really should listen to feedback from every player and not just the few vets on their forums because they think the game is fine as they are constantly winning and do not see the weak spots in the system. "lol play more" and so on... sad.

DarkKyo

New update tonight, including a new Pro! Also some sick PAX East costumes! I'm going tomorrow so I'm definitely going to hit up the Uber booth ASAP for costume codes.
SMNC said:
SiX31.jpg
Uber PAX East said:

Oh god that Captain Spark skin is amazing...

DarkKyo

Man I wish the game would be more fun (to me, it's pretty frustrating), because I highly enjoy their art.

Yeah the game can be super frustrating. I win just slightly more than I lose matches. But I am addicted; it's super fun for me.

Wthermans

Banned
So even though they've updated to the new patching system, i'm still downloading updates that are over a gig. The diffs can't be that big, can they?

Anyway, small patch today - http://www.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20560
31d was 1.8GB due to a change in the file structure. Patches are still ~800MB since they changed their patching system though.

http://www.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20293&p=296678#p296678

neutrino said:
31d is live now! Sorry guys this one came in a bit bigger because we re-organized some data.

They've still done nothing to correct the snowballing problem in the game (doubt they ever will) and matchmaking is worse than ever (they actually started matching randoms with build a teams again so it's rare to get an even game).

Wthermans

Banned
Why are they still even 800, though? They are using the updated diff system through steam, right?

They've stated that the large patches are due to the way Unreal handles the patching. They're hoping to further reduce the filesize, but I don't believe it's a high priority for them.

Sanic

They've stated that the large patches are due to the way Unreal handles the patching. They're hoping to further reduce the filesize, but I don't believe it's a high priority for them.

Ah, thanks for sharing. I check out the official forums from time to time but I must be missing all of this somehow :).

I just got in to the beta :) Two things I need to ask though...

1. Is there a NDA or can we post what we want?

2. When I try to log in every time I press the @ key it opens up the console :/ How am I supposed to enter my email in?

Sanic

I just got in to the beta :) Two things I need to ask though...

1. Is there a NDA or can we post what we want?

2. When I try to log in every time I press the @ key it opens up the console :/ How am I supposed to enter my email in?

1.) You can post whatever you'd like.

2.) I've never actually paid any attention to that screen since I got into the beta, but doesn't it ask for a username, not email address? In which case the @ key isn't needed.

JWong

Banned
I got in pretty easy after signing up for the beta. Anyone who wants it should just sign up. Takes about a day or two.

I'm not sure if I like this too much. It is pretty good, but the match up is a bit slow. The front end UI is extremely confusing. I'm sure they'll iterate on it and make the store and equipment much better to navigate and use.

Also, do they rotate characters? I only unlock what I try out, but the sniper types are locked at the moment.

DarkKyo

I got in pretty easy after signing up for the beta. Anyone who wants it should just sign up. Takes about a day or two.

I'm not sure if I like this too much. It is pretty good, but the match up is a bit slow. The front end UI is extremely confusing. I'm sure they'll iterate on it and make the store and equipment much better to navigate and use.

Also, do they rotate characters? I only unlock what I try out, but the sniper types are locked at the moment.

Yeah they do rotate. Usually once a week but sometimes less than that. We haven't had sniper free for awhile so I'd be willing to bet he'll be available in the next rotation.

DarkKyo

If I remember right... maybe last week? A lot of times they'll make em free over and over again so it's not like there's no chance she'll be appearing again soon.

JWong

Banned
If I remember right... maybe last week? A lot of times they'll make em free over and over again so it's not like there's no chance she'll be appearing again soon.

Yeah, I'll just wait. Still figuring out some of these characters. Leo is a very strange healer.

DarkKyo

Yeah, I'll just wait. Still figuring out some of these characters. Leo is a very strange healer.

I tried him for the first time the other day(he is the newest pro).. I couldn't get into him. He's just so slow and defenseless... On the other hand I love playing as the Support. I think Leo can be useful but he's just not for me.

Edit: New players should be trying a lot of the pusher classes. You know, the classes that are meant to destroy lots of bots and keep the lanes clear. Cheston, Assault, Gunner, Tank, etc

JWong

Banned
I tried him for the first time the other day(he is the newest pro).. I couldn't get into him. He's just so slow and defenseless... On the other hand I love playing as the Support. I think Leo can be useful but he's just not for me.

Edit: New players should be trying a lot of the pusher classes. You know, the classes that are meant to destroy lots of bots and keep the lanes clear. Cheston, Assault, Gunner, Tank, etc

Yeah, I use Cheston mainly, and Megabeth as a second choice.

Just need to get use to people sucking at the game. Some people just like to go and get killed 15 times.

Wthermans

Banned

Leo is interesting. He can make a good pusher but you have to stick with your Bots and once they start dying or get distracted on turrets/Fujis, you have to start retreating since anyone can gank you. Don't really see that much use to his Turret since it fires slow, does mediocre damage, and takes too long to utilize as an escape. He's still fun playing with another person that can CG/Support well (and you have a good Striker/Enforcer) though.

I agree on your class recommendations, but would recommend newer players staying away from Gunner/Tank since it's easy to overextend and get grapple chained with them. Cheston is a great starter class IMO.

New News! Game should be going "Open Beta"/Release on April 18. It's still rather frustrating, but give it a try and see if you like it.

Yeah, I use Cheston mainly, and Megabeth as a second choice.

Just need to get use to people sucking at the game. Some people just like to go and get killed 15 times.

I've had that happen many a time. The level multiplier and grapple chains really makes this happen a lot more than it should.

JWong

Banned
I was playing the Tank for a match and it really sucked. It feels like the tank doesn't have a lot of health. I was just getting creamed.

Didn't really feel tankish to me.

I was playing the Tank for a match and it really sucked. It feels like the tank doesn't have a lot of health. I was just getting creamed.

Didn't really feel tankish to me.

His health is about the same as the other heavies -- you really have to take advantage of his shield to get the full "tankiness" out of him.

Game has released?! That was a very stealthy/accidental release!

Yeah, I guess they spontaneously decided to open it up to everyone after some invite confusion:
http://www.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=303848#p303848

Sanic

Anyone want to make an OT? or would a mod kindly rename this thread? Would maybe be better actually.

JWong

Banned
Man, leavers in this game are more brutal than other MOBAs.

They definitely need to punish the leavers a lot more harshly.

Payrus

Man, leavers in this game are more brutal than other MOBAs.

They definitely need to punish the leavers a lot more harshly.

That might have been me, but if it is any consolation I've uninstalled the game since I left my last game.

Top Bottom