• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the part that bugs me about wanting non-white characters in part because of their race is that no matter what else you say about their value to Smash, people will accuse you of wanting to give unfair treatment and that you want characters in just because of the colour of their skin

People get way more offended by the idea of diversification than I've ever seen anyone get over lack of diversity

exfatal

vraicz.png

YOUR CHOICE FOR THE 8TH GREATEST SMASH BROS. CHARACTER WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY!

The art used for this banner is a little janky. My apologies.

Veteran Rankings Click on them to find out more!

Aww i was hoping Kirby would make the top 5 now that he was clear from the number 10 spot... I jinxed it :*(

I think the part that bugs me about wanting non-white characters in part because of their race is that no matter what else you say about their value to Smash, people will accuse you of wanting to give unfair treatment and that you want characters in just because of the colour of their skin

People get way more offended by the idea of diversification than I've ever seen anyone get over lack of diversity
People honestly think they want characters in because of skin color? That is a shame, honestly. A character is a character and if they are good, they hold value. Simple as that.

Drago

Aww yes, time for Wario to make his glorious appearance as a top 10 veteran.

I'll keep saying this until I get it right, even after the #1 character is revealed.

People honestly think they want characters in because of skin color? That is a shame, honestly. A character is a character and if they are good, they hold value. Simple as that.

Well I DO want Doc Louis and Impa playable in part of their skin :v I don't think that there's any reason to not support a character in part for being non-white - you should just make sure to not support them solely because they're non-white.

It's funny. When I was young I hated the Ice Climbers because I would lose to them more than anyone. I never really respected them as a fighter. Now that they could be gone, I feel myself wanting them back. It's funny how that works, isn't it?

Im surprised Samus hasnt came up yet, then I remembered ZSS. Samus and Link will probably be higher up due to the fact that theres 2 of them. 3 links actually.

Also was expecting Kirby to be top 5!

Josephl64

We Like Ike.,

That reminds me of how much I want Shiida if Sakurai ever decides swords are too much even if they play differently.

She's a pegasus knight, but even if the pegasus is too much she has a spear too ~

Well I DO want Doc Louis and Impa playable in part of their skin :v I don't think that there's any reason to not support a character in part for being non-white - you should just make sure to not support them solely because they're non-white.

I would find a problem with it even if you wanted them in partly due to their skin color. That being said, I do want Doc Louis and Impa in solely because of what great characters they are

Impa would be a great fighter. Doc Louis I'm mot too sure of because I don't know how he would fight, but I could picture him being a pretty cool fighter if done correctly.

SmithnCo

Doc Louis could be a heavier Mac clone and wouldn't be that hard to make probably. Plus he already animates in Mac's win pose. Worth it for chocolate eating taunt.

Doc Louis would be a Little Mac clone, be honest. And if he does take up the role of giving advice to Little Mac on his opponents (like the codec calls), I'd rather he would continue doing that then being playable.

Impa (Skyward Sword design) would be a good addition, but I think they'd need to be really creative to distinguish her from Sheik.

I think it could be seen as being a little offensive if the only POC in Smash were clones. I'd rather see Anthony Higgs bring something new than Doc Louis repeat what makes Little Mac unique.

Josephl64

Impa would be a great fighter. Doc Louis I'm mot too sure of because I don't know how he would fight, but I could picture him being a pretty cool fighter if done correctly.

I would imagine if they made him fight like he was in his prime...he would be very much like Mr. Sandman, but if in his present for we already kind of know but I would expect it halfway between Mac and Sandman in that case for Smash

Berordn

Doc Louis could be a heavier Mac clone and wouldn't be that hard to make probably. Plus he already animates in Mac's win pose. Worth it for chocolate eating taunt.

Giga Mac's cool and all, but mostly I'm upset that his final smash doesn't involve Doc in any way.

I'm not sure how that could've worked, but they should've done it.

Giga Mac's cool and all, but mostly I'm upset that his final smash doesn't involve Doc in any way.

I'm not sure how that could've worked, but they should've done it.

Throwing this out there: hopefully, Snake's codec calls will be replaced by Doc Louis' advice. Like what he said in the trailer, but character-specific.

"The punch is mightier than the sword!"

You underestimate Sakurai.

Doc Louis would have a mode switching ability. He could switch from being a speedy fighter to being a defensive fighter to being an aggressive fighter; speedy fighter would give him more traditional boxing gear, defensive would be his standard red sweater, and aggressive would be his animal print costume.

Hatchtag

Banned
So if Wolf's cut...how are they gonna handle Fox and Falco's Smash taunts? Are they gonna just dance around him no longer competing?

Doc Louis would have a mode switching ability. He could switch from being a speedy fighter to being a defensive fighter to being an aggressive fighter; speedy fighter would give him more traditional boxing gear, defensive would be his standard red sweater, and aggressive would be his animal print costume.
So he'd be Shulk

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Today I made breakfast and two yolks came out of one egg. I think that's a sign Ice Climbers are coming.

SmithnCo

If you were gonna make a non-clone PO character I'd assume you'd go for King Hippo or Great Tiger or something for variety's sake because of their abilities. Doc would probably be Lucina level priority I assume.

This is what I want for Smash 5 or Smash 4 DLC now. Never thought I'd be convinced about Doc Louis, but that's cool.

While I love Sakurai, I think you overestimate him. Remember that Toon Link uses modified versions of Link's moves, instead of using his Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, or even the Wind Waker.

Josephl64

This is amazing I want this...I thought they should go with an outfighter at first but this seals the deal

biavqp.png

Ike
8th Place (Victory Music!)

Notable Appearences
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (2007)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (2012)

Bio
Ike is the main character of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and one of the two protagonists of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Ike is the son of the great warrior Greil, and eventual leader of the Greil Mercenaries. He is notably the first main charcacter in the Fire Emblem series to not be of noble birth. Ike is rather naïve when he is introduced, often taking things at face value. He is characterized by a kind and brave personality, and is very protective of his friends and family. Despite having played a major role in liberating Crimea from Daein, Ike is shown to be rather humble, and seeks no reward for his actions, save for the fees he charges as a mercenary.

What NeoGAF Says
“He's an excellent character in his own game. He's also a slightly more obscure choice that I wanted, yet was unexpected. Also, his design is really distinct, along with Ragnell.” - Lunar15

“While not a Fire Emblem fan before Brawl, I had enjoyed Roy's play style despite him being a weaker Marth. When it was announced that Ike would replace Roy, I was a bit upset. However, Ike's unique moveset was enough to make him my new main and put Roy in the past.” - Kriken

“The power is real.” - -Horizon-

“Another total package. Great design, cool personality, and powerful moves. He's also a handsome devil, especially in his beefy Radiant Dawn form.” - Hours Left

“It's somehow delightful that his win quotes, taunts and cheers aren't canon but still reflect his character excellently. Even the red flames were cool, there's too much blue in Smash already even if Hero of the Blue Flames is canonical!” - Aexact

“He has decent speed and good damage output. Plus he's not a loser like Marth.” - Jawmuncher

“Because we like Ike.” - Linkstrikesback

tumblr_n8pq307cy11t1f4gmo2_500.gif

Congrats, Ike!

Josephl64

biavqp.png

Ike
8th Place (Victory Music!)

Notable Appearences
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (2007)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (2012)

Bio
Ike is the main character of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and one of the two protagonists of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Ike is the son of the great warrior Greil, and eventual leader of the Greil Mercenaries. He is notably the first main charcacter in the Fire Emblem series to not be of noble birth. Ike is rather naïve when he is introduced, often taking things at face value. He is characterized by a kind and brave personality, and is very protective of his friends and family. Despite having played a major role in liberating Crimea from Daein, Ike is shown to be rather humble, and seeks no reward for his actions, save for the fees he charges as a mercenary.

What NeoGAF Says

tumblr_n8pq307cy11t1f4gmo2_500.gif

Congrats, Ike!

nice ranking, he wasn't a shabby lord in the games either

Kriken

vraicz.png

YOUR CHOICE FOR THE 8TH GREATEST SMASH BROS. CHARACTER WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY!

The art used for this banner is a little janky. My apologies.

Didn't get the chance to respond to this, but genuinely shocked at how low Mario and Kirby are on this list

Edit: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom