• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cse

Banned
Am I the only one that's really not a fan of traveling stages?

- Most of them move too fast, causing an awkward dizzy type feeling....especially if you focus on the 2D plane in which the fighters move, and then focus on the fast moving 3D background. It's just jarring, at least for me. I think Erik actually mentioned something relating to vertigo when they were playing the Pilot Wings stage during the Treehouse @ E3.

- It seems like an excuse for lazy design. You're actually fighting, most of the time, on nothing more than a flat stage with a platform or two. The background is moving and animated and may be nice for those watching, but the actual fighting environment is bland.

- The period of time in which you're allowed to fight at a drop off location is too short (around 10 seconds in the E3 build). If this were longer, it would help fix the previous point.

So, yeah...I don't know. Just not a fan.

screen-2.jpg

Still kind of amazing to look at. I remember roster mock ups around the melee days that would include Sonic and Pac-Man and Mega man in them and it seemed so far fetched.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
screen-2.jpg

Still kind of amazing to look at. I remember roster mock ups around the melee days that would include Sonic and Pac-Man and Mega man in them and it seemed so far fetched.

Haha, the picture were so amazing in it's own way. When you see all characters there, it's just great feeling to see all characters blend so well together.

Cody_D165

Banned
screen-2.jpg

In all honesty, this is probably my favorite screenshot of the game we've gotten so far. (Except maybe that one of Captain Falcon wearing the Tanooki suit)

SkyOdin

Am I the only one that's really not a fan of traveling stages?

- Most of them move too fast, causing an awkward dizzy type feeling....especially if you focus on the 2D plane in which the fighters move, and then focus on the fast moving 3D background. It's just jarring, at least for me. I think Erik actually mentioned something relating to vertigo when they were playing the Pilot Wings stage during the Treehouse @ E3.

- It seems like an excuse for lazy design. You're actually fighting, most of the time, on nothing more than a flat stage with a platform or two. The background is moving and animated and may be nice for those watching, but the actual fighting environment is bland.

- The period of time in which you're allowed to fight at a drop off location is too short (around 10 seconds in the E3 build). If this were longer, it would help fix the previous point.

So, yeah...I don't know. Just not a fan.

It varies for me. I actually liked Mute City in Melee, since it was the only stage with that gimmick. I was also a huge fan of Pokefloats and Big Blue. But I really didn't like how many traveling/transforming stages were in Brawl.

Lylat Cruise was not a good stage, since the background was busy enough to be slightly distracting, but you never had any chance to actually look at it most of the time. I wasn't a fan of Delfino Plaza either, since while it had a nice number of fun areas, you never really spent much time in any one of them.

On the other hand, I rather liked the Great Sea stage, since it was far more stable than the other stages and moved at a more comfortable pace between different gimmicks.

I do like what I see of the Pilotwings stage in Smash 4 though. Smooth transitions between two similar platforms with a mostly uniform background is fine with me. However, I am also disappointed that Skyloft is going to be Delfino Plaza 2.0.

Neiteio

I love traveling stages. Isle Delfino was probably my favorite place to fight in Brawl. What's great about them is they allow you to thoroughly examine the "world" of that franchise from many different directions. You can pause the game while you're transitioning in midair and pan the camera to see landmarks and such that you might recognize from the source material. That's fun and makes the level feel really immersive. :)

Juansho

Banned
I love traveling stages. Isle Delfino was probably my favorite place to fight in Brawl. What's great about them is they allow you to thoroughly examine the "world" of that franchise from many different directions. You can pause the game while you're transitioning in midair and pan the camera to see landmarks and such that you might recognize from the source material. That's fun and makes the level feel really immersive. :)

Yeah, Isle Delfino looks really good and very detailed, just like in Mario Sunshine. But for this new game, Skyloft's travelling stage does not convince me, I find that concept of travelling stages more interesting on places that have more beautiful landmarks, like the stage from PilotWings

Neiteio

Speaking of pausing the game to look around at the stage, probably my favorite level to do that in Melee -and- Brawl was Onett, and that includes back in Melee when I knew very little about EarthBound's source material. It was just amazing to me jumping high above Onett and then pausing the game to look around at all of the streets lined up in the background, each with their own houses, stores, etc. Such a cool sense of place. Man, I love that stage.

Have a feeling we won't see a character reveal until next week in commemoration of one month before the official release of the 3DS version in Japan.

Neiteio

Have a feeling we won't see a character reveal until next week in commemoration of one month before the official release of the 3DS version in Japan.
Hyrule Warriors comes out Thursday, Aug. 14 in Japan, if Wikipedia is correct. I imagine the deluge of Smash Bros. news will begin that Friday.

Speaking of pausing the game to look around at the stage, probably my favorite level to do that in Melee -and- Brawl was Onett, and that includes back in Melee when I knew very little about EarthBound's source material. It was just amazing to me jumping high above Onett and then pausing the game to look around at all of the streets lined up in the background, each with their own houses, stores, etc. Such a cool sense of place. Man, I love that stage.

:)

All-time favorite Smash stage. Hope to see it back in either version.

Hyrule Warriors comes out Thursday, Aug. 14 in Japan, if Wikipedia is correct. I imagine the deluge of Smash Bros. news will begin that Friday.

I would imagine they'll give the game the weekend and then start with the big hype train the following week.

Perhaps. Also we are getting some information from Coro Coro next week. I'm not sure when tho.

If we get anything new, we'll probably get a look at the full starting roster and CSS for the 3DS version, might get a confirmation or two for a character like Wario, Ice Climbers, or Meta Knight like we did Shiek which IIRC she wasn't revealed until a few days after the Coro Coro magazine was out.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If we get anything new, we'll probably get a look at the full starting roster and CSS for the 3DS version, might get a confirmation or two for a character like Wario, Ice Climbers, or Meta Knight like we did Shiek which IIRC she wasn't revealed until a few days after the Coro Coro magazine was out.

I'm not sure about full starting roster, but I don't mind to see one veteran being confirmed tho. I would highly preferred to see Ness or Ice Climbers since I would like to see their franchise being confirmed as playable.

Neiteio

:)

All-time favorite Smash stage. Hope to see it back in either version.
The Onett stage really makes me want a polygonal 3D remake of EarthBound. Some Mother fans would never have it, saying the sprites are sacred and could never be reinterpreted. But man, I see the Onett stage and I want to explore that world in 3D. So charming!

I'm not sure about full starting roster, but I don't mind to see one veteran being confirmed tho. I would highly preferred to see Ness or Ice Climbers since I would like to see their franchise being confirmed as playable.

I'm pretty sure Corocoro revealed the full starting roster for Brawl when they did the same thing last year (and talked about Snake/Sonic), at the time I think Shiek was the only character who was on the starting roster who wasn't confirmed at that point. If the game truly has no unlockable hidden characters like some of us have speculated then they probably won't reveal the entire roster, but if it still has unlockables I think it's a possibility.

The Onett stage really makes me want a polygonal 3D remake of EarthBound. Some Mother fans would never have it, saying the sprites are sacred and could never be reinterpreted. But man, I see the Onett stage and I want to explore that world in 3D. So charming!
It be cool if they could do something in the style of this:

Kirby_Rainbow_Curse.jpg

Would be cool to match the models they've made before and I think it would really fit Mother's tone.

RomanceDawn

Melee's moving and transforming stages were pretty fun but many of equivalents from brawl left a sour taste in my mouth.

Mushroomy kingdom was just too small and the cut and paste layout just made it that much harder to maneuver around. Don't even get me started on Jungle Japes, where did that air plane even come from?!

I did really enjoy Picto Chat and that F-Zero stage though.

After playing Smash 3DS I realized that I don't like scrolling stages that move too fast. NSMB2 coin stage moves very slow and in some cases stops completely and I realize that just makes it so much more enjoyable. That was probably why I liked Poke Floats so much. Some things moved around the characters fairly quickly but screen scrolled nice and slow.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm pretty sure Corocoro revealed the full starting roster for Brawl when they did the same thing last year (and talked about Snake/Sonic), at the time I think Shiek was the only character who was on the starting roster who wasn't confirmed at that point. If the game truly has no unlockable hidden characters like some of us have speculated then they probably won't reveal the entire roster, but if it still has unlockables I think it's a possibility.

Nope, It didn't. Corocoro didn't even says anything about Sheik and Olimar.

Edited: I would presume that you are thinking of Famitsu.

Nope, It didn't. Corocoro didn't even says anything about Sheik and Olimar.

Edited: I presume that you are thinking of Famtisu.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/11/corocoro-magazine-reveals-sheik-other-obvious-additions-to-braw/

So to be fair, they didn't SHOW Shiek, but they confirmed Zelda's down b was twilight change to switch into Shiek

Edit: Maybe Famitsu was the one that confirmed the whole starting roster, I remember there were still some people wondering if Zelda had a new down b and if Shiek was cut before the corocoro magazine confirmed "shiek is back as a transformation"

Sure, why not? I'm already set with what we already have, though. In fact, I consider its take on Pollyanna to be the best arrangement in the entire series.

I mean, it's based on the CD arrangement! How cool is that?

I love analyzing the shit out of Nintendo remakes, so bring it on.

Mushroomy kingdom was just too small and the cut and paste layout just made it that much harder to maneuver around. Don't even get me started on Jungle Japes, where did that air plane even come from?!

As much flak as it gets, the underground Mushroomy Kingdom alternate is probably my personal favorite example of Smash pinball. Yeah, it's a little too easy to throw people at the top of the stage, but everything that happens below is hysterical.

I like the regular version, too. Very creative idea.

Sure, why not? I'm already set with what we already have, though. In fact, I consider its take on Pollyanna to be the best arrangement in the entire series.

I mean, it's based on the CD arrangement! How cool is that?
Yeah, I love that rendition! I always use that song when on Onett. It always just bothers me a bit when the music from the original locale isn't available. No deal breaker by any means, but as I mentioned in my other post, just put Onett on Wii U so we get all of the great Mother tracks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So to be fair, they didn't SHOW Shiek, but they confirmed Zelda's down b was twilight change to switch into Shiek

Edit: Maybe Famitsu was the one that confirmed the whole starting roster, I remember there were still some people wondering if Zelda had a new down b and if Shiek was cut before the corocoro magazine confirmed "shiek is back as a transformation"

Strange enough, I remembered that there is Zelda card that basically leave Down B a blank. I dug way behind and found the translation.

23. (zeruda) Zelda

FS: (hikari no yumiya) light bow and arrow
Description: Fired from a side stance it penetrates any opponent directly in its line of fire delivering high damage.
Point: The penetrating force also has the ability to break through opponents’ shields.

Neutral: (neeru no ai) Nayru’s love
Up: (furoru no kaze) Farore’s wind
Side: (dein no honoo) Din’s flame
Down: **not listed**

Edited: I decided to check your link again, and I found a claim at bottom of the article.

[Update: Reader Sensai brings news that the card actually doesn't specify a down-B move at all for Zelda, leaving Sheik, and the identity of that special move, unconfirmed. What a "mystery!"]

Yeah, I love that rendition! I always use that song when on Onett. It always just bothers me a bit when the music from the original locale isn't available. No deal breaker by any means, but as I mentioned in my other post, just put Onett on Wii U so we get all of the great Mother tracks.

I hope the same! Though if my EB stage for Wii U/M3 stage for 3DS theory comes true, I wonder if the new EB stage will hog all the new tracks...

More fun facts: Brawl's Humoresque of a Little Dog arrangement is based on the one from the Mother 1+2 Arrange CD, and I believe Animal Crossing's 2 A.M. was based on another CD arrangement as well.

My favorite thing to do in Mushroomy Kingdom was to turn all items off except for Smart Bombs and turn the items on very high. Then watch the fireworks.

Strange enough, I remembered that there is Zelda card that basically leave Down B a blank. I dug way behind and found the translation.

Edited: I decided to check your link again, and I found a claim at bottom of the article.

Huh, well thanks for the clarification I guess people just took the early scan impressions at face value and never bothered to verify and since it turned out true anyways I guess it didn't really matter

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Huh, well thanks for the clarification I guess people just took the early scan impressions at face value and never bothered to verify and since it turned out true anyways I guess it didn't really matter

Yeah, I just don't want people to get overhyped for CoroCoro because they pulled same thing during Brawl. They said that they would show starting roster, but they failed to mention that they would only cover announced characters.

This time, they were nice enough to clarifying about information.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They're covering all the characters shown as well as which ones are going to be on the starting roster?

I guess so. I think CoroCoro is first magazine that confirmed that Snake and Sonic are going to be secret characters, so hopefully we would hear something about Pac Man, Mega Man and Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom