• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you find the meaning of life after experience 1080p Smash first hand?
It's deadass one of the prettiest games I've played this year, for real. I didn't expect the difference between it and Brawl to be as pronounced as it is, but it's so much prettier, clearer, and less 'murky' than any Smash experience I've ever had before.

Did you play Onett and if so what music played?

Not knowing this is burning my soul.
I actually think I have some footage on an Onett battle I had in Smash Tour mode! One sec, let me go check the footage and see what song played.

Upload some more Guar Plains. I have to hear the Xenoblade Medley.
Didn't play on Guar Plains, sadly :(

Did you notice a big difference when using a GC pad to the 3ds pad? Are the shoulder buttons pressure sensitive or do you need to press all the way down for shielding/grab/rolling?
Within seconds of picking up the controller and getting into a fight, I was like "Oh. Oh, okay. THIS is how SSB4 is meant to be played." It's gonna be really hard go to back to the 3DS version, I think.

TLDR: playing with the GameCube controllers feels... like going home :')

It's deadass one of the prettiest games I've played this year, for real. I didn't expect the difference between it and Brawl to be as pronounced as it is, but it's so much prettier, clearer, and less 'murky' than any Smash experience I've ever had before.

I actually think I have some footage on an Onett battle I had in Smash Tour mode! One sec, let me go check the footage and see what song played.

Didn't play on Guar Plains, sadly :(

Within seconds of picking up the controller and getting into a fight, I was like "Oh. Oh, okay. THIS is how SSB4 is meant to be played." It's gonna be really hard go to back to the 3DS version, I think.

TLDR: playing with the GameCube controllers feels... like going home :')

Awesome info thanks! Looking forward to your footage. Also, all stages have an omega mode right?

Awesome info thanks! Looking forward to your footage. Also, all stages have an omega mode right?
Yup! I had a really fun items off, one-on-one match on the Omega version of Gamer, which was really hilariously quiet. It's kind of amusing to play Smash on a stage with no music on it!

georly

IGN has a video on the stage builder.

That is the ultimate solution for competitive smash players who want balanced stages.

Give them the ability to make stages of any shape/size with platforms that move in set patterns, and you have 100% perfectly viable custom stages. If downloading/sharing is easy, this can be used for all tournaments. Just have a list of approved stages and BAM, done. Problem solved.

The solution is there, whether people use the solution or not is up to them.

Did you play Onett and if so what music played?

Not knowing this is burning my soul.
Okay, so I went back and checked for ya... it turns out that on Smash Tour, instead of displaying the song name in the upper-left at the start of the match, it displays the type of Smash you're doing (our match was Shooter Smash).

So I don't know the name of the song, but here's the audio from the match if you want to take a stab at identifying it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dCkGldgPWM

jnWake

My God all the complaining.

We don't get an Opening cinematic and suddenly people forget that every newcomer has had incredible CGI trailers. But nope, Smash fanbase is never satisfied and every thing that isn't in the game means that a shitstorm has to be made.

Okay, so I went back and checked for ya... it turns out that on Smash Tour, instead of displaying the song name in the upper-left at the start of the match, it displays the type of Smash you're doing (our match was Shooter Smash).

So I don't know the name of the song, but here's the audio from the match if you want to take a stab at identifying it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dCkGldgPWM

OMFFFFGGGG MOTHER 2 POLLYANNA SOAT SOAT SOAT SOAT MSFJNEOIGFJ()EFJFJI()EJI()FJ)IEIOEFIOEFJIOEFHJIOEG}GRGKP)_GRMKOPGRGRIOPGRGR

zroid

Banned
Smash Tour sounds fun according to GamesRadar. Hopefully it is online or it will be such a waste!

yeeaaaaaaahhhhhh not optimistic about that

fortunately I don't need to get multiple copies of Smash Bros. in the same room to play local multi on Wii U. calling friends over is easier than convincing them to spend 40 bucks on a game, lol.

Smash Run.

I'm a huge Smash Run apologist, but trust me, Smash Tour is about a billion times more of a game than Smash Run. Smash Tour is basically just a really good, stripped down, ultrafast party game framework to play short, 60-second 1-stock matches with really bizarre rules applied to them.

A good example of what I'm talking: I encountered one gametype in Smash Tour called "Mr. Saturn Smash," where nothing but dozens of Mr. Saturns spawned during the battle. It was incredibly stupid. I loved it.

Kangi

Pollyanna from Brawl.

Hm. Still leaves the question of what that track listed as "Onett" in the Gamexplain video is, but good to know this regardless.

Not necessarily. Boxing Ring is pretty identical in both.

Hey Ash, I hope you're right on all counts. That being said, just to play devil's advocate on a couple points:

- I think it was Ryce who pointed out that in Smash Tour, it's not just Flying Man who appears, but also Soulflee and other characters from Smash Run. Yet to our knowledge, there's no mode with enemies in the WiiU version. In other words, just because Flying Man's in Smash Tour, doesn't mean his corresponding stage is, as well.

- I think if Mr. Game & Watch had a stage, they probably would've given us at least a glimpse of it in his unveiling on the website. Or maybe they did and I don't remember. Either way, it's not a hard and fast rule, but it is a tad discouraging.

That's a good point about the Flying Man; I don't think I even knew he appears as an enemy in Smash Run. Still, I think Magicant and Mute City SNES are in simply because it makes no sense for there to only be one returning stage each for F-Zero and Mother and them not make use of the new F-Zero and Mother stages they've already built for the 3DS version. In fact, that makes so little sense that I'm going to be actively very disappointed if those stages aren't in the Wii U version!

Plus, we're also looking at this from the standpoint of the 3DS version being released first. For all we know, from a developmental standpoint, they designed Magicant and F-Zero SNES to be used in both the 3DS and Wii U versions from the beginning. Especially considering the Wii U version is supposed to have stages geared toward console games, it makes no sense (again, haha) for these console-based stages not to be in the 3DS version but not the Wii U version!

As for Mr. Game & Watch, you've got a good point there. I hope you're wrong, but I don't really have any counter-argument for it except that it'd be strange to not have a Flat Zone stage at all...

That is the ultimate solution for competitive smash players who want balanced stages.

Give them the ability to make stages of any shape/size with platforms that move in set patterns, and you have 100% perfectly viable custom stages. If downloading/sharing is easy, this can be used for all tournaments. Just have a list of approved stages and BAM, done. Problem solved.

The solution is there, whether people use the solution or not is up to them.

Wow, this is actually a really excellent point. There's literally zero excuse for people who want only those kinds of stages to complain about not having them anymore -- they can make literally all of them that they want.

georly

I'm a huge Smash Run apologist, but trust me, Smash Tour is about a billion times more of a game than Smash Run. Smash Tour is basically just a really good, stripped down, ultrafast party game framework to play short, 60-second 1-stock matches with really bizarre rules applied to them.

A good example of what I'm talking: I encountered one gametype in Smash Tour called "Mr. Saturn Smash," where nothing but dozens of Mr. Saturns spawned during the battle. It was incredibly stupid. I loved it.

Do you know if you can do 5 player smash for all stages, or is anything above 4 players considered '8 player smash', which limits you to a set of stages?

Twiforce

Oh man, I'm really disappointed to hear about the stage hazards in Kalos Pokemon League. First Garden of Hope, now this?

Why does every stage have to have intrusive hazard or gimmick to ruin it? :,(

So, just like Smash Run but longer? And I was talking about that since Smash Run doesn't have online, Smash Tour won't have online either.

My God all the complaining.

We don't get an Opening cinematic and suddenly people forget that every newcomer has had incredible CGI trailers. But nope, Smash fanbase is never satisfied and every thing that isn't in the game means that a shitstorm has to be made.

There are three things in life that are certain: death, taxes, and the Smash fanbase complaining about something and cursing Sakurai's name at any given time.

This actually sounds really neat. I wasn't quite convinced about Smash Tour based on the Direct footage and Andre's hands-on impressions of it, but you just made me really want to try it.

georly

Hey, my video's up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld4uQClLd5U

I slept about two hours last night because I stayed up until 4:00 AM combing through my footage from last night's event trying to find new info for y'all, lol. I came up with 100 things - some super small, some maybe only kinda-new, but I hope you guys find some stuff in there to enjoy!

Great stuff! I appreciate all the info on smash tour, I have a MUCH better understanding of it now, thank you SOOOOO much.

georly

Hm, not fond of the really limited number of special stage elements. There's even fewer than in Brawl. No windmills or falling blocks or ladders. I really hope they're just unlockable.

Everything else looks great though.

A lot of them were unlockable in brawl, no? I assume that will be the case here, too.

A lot of them were unlockable in brawl, no? I assume that will be the case here, too.

Yup, there were... I think 2 additional sets of parts you had to unlock, and it was really easy to unlock them. Just building a bunch of stages, if I recall.

We at least need conveyor belts, though! How else will we farm CDs?

Weird onion-crab thingie (I forgot it's name). Seems to at least run across the stage and smash the china bowl platform thing and (I assume) hurt players.
The china bowl can also be smashed by players themselves, and it's super easy to break - I saw it happen a number of times during the 60-second Smash Tour battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom